NTT IndyCar Series 2019 - Official Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
1636 replies to this topic

#1 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:11

NTTIS-Announce-twitter-1200x675.jpg?file

Just saw this very nice FREE season guide on RACER.com, and thought it would be the perfect lead-in to finally start off the official 2019 Season thread (moving us out of the Silly Season thread for ACTUAL season stuff!)

http://www.racermaga..._indycar_series

WE INDYCAR NOW!  :clap:

Advertisement

#2 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:31

Excellent, Max! I'm second in!

#3 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:50

BuddyHolly, in another thread, said:

okay guys, this weekend is going to be the first indycar race I've watched in decades (not counting the indy 500 in 2017)

You guys are the experts and people I respect, so.. tell me, who are the drivers to watch?  who are the exciting and talented guys I should keep an eye on?

I'd put it in terms of storylines to look forward to this season.  In no particular order, here's what I'm excited about:

1. Dixon v. Rosenqvist as teammates, the greatest driver in the paddock coming off his 5th championship versus the new rookie with all the rookie fire.  If FRO starts winning, this will get really interesting.

2. Rossi not screwing it up at the worst possible moments again this year. He could've won the championship last year were it not for his own cockups. Also worth seeing if he can complete a full donut this season.

3. Will Power, who is forever a source of joy and bemusement, and whether or not his Indy 500 win (and new family) are going to help him to grow up and become a true ace now, and not just a source of joy and bemusement.

4. The Penske games, as Newgarden and Pagenaud both try to put a lost season behind them. They're both former champions, 2017 and 2016 respectively, but with Roger Penske, it's always a question of, "what have you done for me lately?"

5. Who becomes the Fourth Major? If we accept that Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti are the three premier teams, then who's the next one to step up? One would assume its Schmidt Peterson (Hinchcliffe, Ericsson), but it could be Dale Coyne (Bourdais, Ferrucci), and what if Carlin becomes a three car monster with Chilton, Kimball and O'Ward?  Wouldn't that be crazy?

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:53

All they do is go round in circles.
So easy a caveman could do it.

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,541 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:28

All they do is go round in circles.
So easy a caveman could do it.

Well they did win the Wacky Races, and there's nothing wackier than Indycar.

https://en.wikipedia...s)#Race_results

slag-brothers-wacky-races.jpg

They even carried the No.1 like a real champion. Yes I'm looking at you Scott Dixon.

#6 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 14:57

They look like mere club racers to me...

#7 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 15:02

Beautifully written by Noriaki, I wanted to cross-post this here, as well:

The key phrase for me is: "you never know for sure with IndyCar"  :love:  

Original text by Noriaki:

The others have already weighed in with their positive newbie advice on the personalities, so I'll weigh in with some general stuff for a newbie (and especially a slightly-disillusioned-with-F1 refugee like you two) to consider.

1) The amount of Advertisements is...insane. We just have to deal with it. Seriously. You will get used to it. We did.

2) Unlike in modern european single seater racing the American racetracks actually punish drivers for mistakes. And they throw a Full Course Yellow for most mistakes, so the total amount of them may be equally, well, insane. (And the recovery might be very slow.) The series also retains refueling which is why fuel saving plays a part, however the Firestone rubber takes pushing much better than its F1 counterpart so there shouldn't be much tyre saving at least.

But anyway, since strategy plays a big part, an unfortunate timing of a FCY may throw the race around and your favorite might have lead the first 80 laps but then Sato thinks lapping Kimball round the outside is a good idea and after the pitstop cycle your favorite will suddenly find himself restarting from P12, with some lucky schmuck who was still yet to pit now leading. Something which the purists may not like. Though there's also the possibility we won't see any FCY's and the full race is pure. I can't tell you yet. It's a bit track dependent, St Pete is a bit on the FCY'ey side but you never know for sure with IndyCar. See point 3. 

3) The diversity of the venues in the series is probably the BEST thing. You have some brilliant, fast flowing road courses in Barber, Elkhart Lake, Portland, Indy Improved Road Course and now even COTA. Punishing, bumpy street circuits in St Pete, Toronto, Belle Isle and Long Beach. A couple of short ovals in Iowa and Gateway, a midsize in Texas, and a duo of crazy fast ovals in Pocono and Indy. So, even if you can become disillusioned with the boredom/crazy chaos/Will Power start-to-finish showdown/whatever the race in St Pete will turn out to be, do come back for the next race because it will be completely different again. The first few races are on road courses, but the ovals are a different breed altogether and the race "lives" in a very different way. Each track in the series has a unique character, no two races will be the same, events will unfold that nobody could ever script and therefore pretty much anyone can end up winning a single race with a lot of luck. But to win a championship in the series? One has to be mastering all these types of racing, all types of situations, be suave with the special, unexplicable breed of Indycar drama, know chaos like the back of his hand, understand how to control the unexpected and that's why Scott Dixon wins one in every 2 championships but it's close every time. 

So welcome aboard. Start by watching the races, pick a favourite driver/team/commentator and get invested with them if need be to retain interest. Because -- despite some of these aforementioned..."features" that might drive a demanding newbie off -- if you give the series your time, you WILL grow to love it. You will find the series retains some beautiful things about motorsport that you probably thought were long lost (Like - Actual overtaking! Wheel-to-wheel racing! Unspoiled, pure racetracks! Endearing characters! Close races! Tight championship! And also, while it can rip our hearts out and give the worst moments any motorsport fan would ever wish to see - also the feeling that the drivers are truly taking it edge at the fast ovals & putting their lives at stake in front of us fans out there...), and that the Indycar gods tend to give us dramatic, happy, joyful, true feel-good moments at a rate that no other series will ever have come close to. Just listen to Sato and Will Power scream their lungs out into their helmets after winning the 500 because it really is that brilliant. 

Edited by maximilian, 09 March 2019 - 15:05.

#8 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 18:22

The emoji was a wonderful idea. I can find the thread super-easily now. :lol:

#9 prommer

prommer

• 4,966 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 18:29

I feel like we need those season results recalcuated in both Indycar and F1 points systems, to see who was the actual Wacky Races season champion.  Looks like it would be the Slag Brothers, with their 8 2nd place finishes.

#10 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,089 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 19:17

I second this. Could be an Indy-thread trademark on the forums.

#11 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 22:46

Agreed!

#12 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 22:53

As a liberal snowflake millennial, I also second the usage of emoji in the title. Loving 🥰 IndyCar 🏎 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣9️⃣ 💕😍🆕🆒 etc etc

#13 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 1,555 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 22:59

OMG. Liberal. Snowflake. Millenial.

I feel for your g/f

#14 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 1,799 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 23:06

we doing fantasy this year?

#15 Frood

Frood

• 9,293 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 23:07

OMG. Liberal. Snowflake. Millenial.

I feel for your g/f

Girlfriend? I'm too busy eating avocados.

Meanwhile, Trevor Carlin is already impressed by Pato O'Ward. Apparently he's going to push Maximum to greater things, too!

#16 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 23:19

we doing fantasy this year?

As far as I understand this is the link to join:

https://www.fantrax....07em&isSubmit=y

#17 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 1,799 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 00:23

As far as I understand this is the link to join:

https://www.fantrax....07em&isSubmit=y

thanks

new site, are the rules the same?

(and how do I change my name? I want to get rid of the "Team" in front of it)

Edited by Yhamm, 10 March 2019 - 00:25.

#18 paulb

paulb

• 11,260 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 00:41

thanks

new site, are the rules the same?

(and how do I change my name? I want to get rid of the "Team" in front of it)

4 drivers, $100 limit, predict race speed. It seems very, very close to what Indycar ran previously.

#19 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:35

If I'da known, I woulda put more emojis in there!  :lol:

Advertisement

#20 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:03

I feel your g/f

I’m next in line.
Jp

#21 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:27

Meanwhile, Trevor Carlin is already impressed by Pato O'Ward. Apparently he's going to push Maximum to greater things, too!

Carlin said "Because Max can go as fast as anybody".

If only someone had told Max that     :lol: 

#22 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:38

INDYCAR International Broadcasters for 2019

Territories, Channel(s) – Check local listings for channel information:

Africa – Sub Saharan (French language), Canal+

Africa – South Africa/Sub Saharan (English language), SuperSport

Asia – Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Hong Kong, Guam, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, North Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and Mainland China (English language), Fox Sports/Star Sports

Australia, Fox Sports (one-hour version)

Austria, DAZN

Brazil, Bandeirantes/Band Sports/DAZN

Canada, Sportsnet World and SN NOW+

Denmark, Viasat

Finland, Viasat

France, Canal+

Germany, DAZN

Ireland, Sky Sports F1

Italy, DAZN

Japan, Gaora

Japan, NHK (Indianapolis 500 only)

Myanmar, Canal+

Netherlands, Ziggo

New Zealand, Sky Sport

Norway, Viasat

Portugal, Sport TV

Russia, Match TV/TV4 (one-hour version)

Russia, Viasat Sport East

Spain, Movistar

Sweden, Viasat/TV3, TV10 (one-hour version)

Switzerland, DAZN (German language)/Canal+ (French language)

United Kingdom, Sky Sports F1

Vietnam, VSTV

Worldwide, Mobil 1: The Grid (featured in the weekly motorsports program)

#23 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:42

Can anyone recommend a browser VPN plugin that works fine? I'm trying to access the Canadian stream on sportsnet.ca later with it. https://www.sportsne...-st-petersburg/

#24 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 13:08

Can anyone recommend a browser VPN plugin that works fine? I'm trying to access the Canadian stream on sportsnet.ca later with it. https://www.sportsne...-st-petersburg/

NordVPN works for this channel.  HOWEVER, that channel requires a subscription. So therefore I cannot access it.

#25 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,541 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 13:18

Honestly can't like this post hard enough.

#26 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 13:37

:rotfl:

So obvious, and yet I missed it . . .

Well done.

#27 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 15:35

Now let's make sure we always stay on PAGE 1!  :D

#28 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 15:37

I got Hoxx and SetupVPN plugins on my Chrome, they seem to work reasonably well, although there are dire fluctuations in speed, depending on which servers you try to access...

#29 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 16:17

Ok,  this appears to be the way with VPN access. 

VPN. USA.  

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome

7 day free trial and then get creative! 

#30 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 21:58

I am thinking twice if I even need to continue my subscriptions, if Nigerians appear to be blossoming more than ever!  :lol:

#31 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 23:56

Fantasy league scoring up. Congrats to Risil and Dolph.

#32 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 22:12

It’s official.
I’m going to COTA !
Jp

#33 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 23:29

It’s official.
I’m going to COTA !
Jp

Take sunscreen.  And a big hat.  They knocked down every tree on the frickin' property.

#34 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 23:48

Good advice as I’m averse to direct sunlight.
Jp

#35 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,252 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 23:49

PS..1070 Trackside is live in 10 minutes
Jp

#36 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:38

Rosenqvist.

Robin likey.

https://racer.com/20...tealth-fighter/

#37 red stick

red stick

• 14,129 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:00

More Rosenqvist.

The legend grows.  What if he drove an entire race with two good arms . . . ? ? ? ?

https://www.motorspo...-armed/4350907/

Edited by red stick, 12 March 2019 - 02:01.

#38 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:04

That is daunting without power steering and on a street circuit!!  :eek:

#39 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:20

More Rosenqvist.

The legend grows. What if he drove an entire race with two good arms . . . ? ? ? ?

https://www.motorspo...-armed/4350907/

There’s an Arrested Development/J. Walter Weatherman joke in there somewhere but I’m too tired to make it.

Advertisement

#40 MNader

MNader

• 452 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:56

Some drivers really make me wonder why they never got the chance to be in F1, Rosenqvist is one of them, he did well in F3 beating very strong established names to the title. another is Frijns, and the list is long, Marciello, Jake Dennis, Juncadella. some of them did some tests though, so maybe the teams know somethings I don't

#41 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,010 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:01

3rd engine?? https://amp.indystar.../amp/3129479002

#42 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:14

Some drivers really make me wonder why they never got the chance to be in F1, Rosenqvist is one of them, he did well in F3 beating very strong established names to the title. another is Frijns, and the list is long, Marciello, Jake Dennis, Juncadella. some of them did some tests though, so maybe the teams know somethings I don't

Mercedes certainly must know something about Rosenqvist. He was under their umbrella for a long time but pipped to DTM by Wehrlein, Auer and Ocon.

#43 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:15

Mercedes certainly must know something about Rosenqvist. He was under their umbrella for a long time but pipped to DTM by Wehrlein, Auer and Ocon.

#44 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 13:29

it would be a real boost for IndyCar. But I doubt it as most manufactures fell in love with electric racing.

#45 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 13:32

it would be a real boost for IndyCar. But I doubt it as most manufactures fell in love with electric racing.

#46 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,554 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 16:59

I doubt that. He was never a Mercedes Young Driver AFAIK, so he wouldn‘t have been drafted into the DTM programme ahead of Ocon, for example. He also spent a number of years in F3 machinery, many of them very middling ones with Mücke, particularly in 2014, where his teammate Auer was a lot better.

I don‘t think he really emerged as a top-class talent, despite several Masters and Macau wins, before he absolutely crushed everyone else with Prema in 2015. By that point Ocon was ahead of him in the Mercedes hierarchy, so he got Wehrlein‘s vacant spot for 2016. In 2016 Rosenqvist was the reserve driver, and he promptly excelled with a points result in difficult conditions in Moscow. That‘s also how his reputation of being able to drive anything fast started, coupled with IndyLights, Formula E, Super Formula and some GT3 success.

I think it‘s safe to say that we‘ll have a lot of fun with the guy. He certainly seems more up to the task of troubling Dixon than Ed Jones.

#47 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 18:27

Rosenqvist has himself gone on record explaining how he became a Mercedes protege after his first Macau race and was subsequently placed with Mucke by Mercedes. Hardly a middling team! He also participated in those end of season Merc DTM tests on more than one occasion, but never showed enough to become the chosen one for one of their teams in the series. Every time someone else - younger and less experienced - got the nod. That must mean something.

Actually, it seems that he was first seen as a real asset by Mahindra, who apparently became very eager to secure him on a longterm deal.

I agree his start in Indycar is looking good, but having to spend five years in F3 (counting the German series) means he definitely was not hot property in the eyes of teams in senior formulae.

#48 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 18:56

Ohhhh, bring it!!  :love:

Whooooo?  :confused:  :wave:

#49 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,045 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 19:35

Rosenqvist has himself gone on record explaining how he became a Mercedes protege after his first Macau race and was subsequently placed with Mucke by Mercedes. Hardly a middling team! He also participated in those end of season Merc DTM tests on more than one occasion, but never showed enough to become the chosen one for one of their teams in the series. Every time someone else - younger and less experienced - got the nod. That must mean something.

Actually, it seems that he was first seen as a real asset by Mahindra, who apparently became very eager to secure him on a longterm deal.

I agree his start in Indycar is looking good, but having to spend five years in F3 (counting the German series) means he definitely was not hot property in the eyes of teams in senior formulae.

The key is in the bold. 

Felix had a slow start to his F3 career. He seems to have developed slower than most. With how fixated racing teams are with either youth or money, that effectively ruined his career in the F1 ladder.

As for the DTM tests - well, for one reason or the other, some drivers simply don't seem suited suited to that quirky, tight series. Ocon being a very good example of a driver who struggled there. Doesn't mean he's a bad single seater driver. 

#50 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,045 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 19:35

The key is in the bold. 

Felix had a slow start to his F3 career. He seems to have developed slower than most. With how fixated racing teams are with either youth or money, that effectively ruined his career in the F1 ladder.

As for the DTM tests - well, for one reason or the other, some drivers simply don't seem suited suited to that quirky, tight series. Ocon being a very good example of a driver who struggled there. Doesn't mean he's a bad single seater driver.