NTT IndyCar Series 2019 - Official Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#101 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,657 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 17:38

They stuffed up royally, and need to stop making excuses trying to explain away a problem that is seriously pissing off a LOT of fans, and turning away so many others before they could even become fans!
The solution is SIMPLE: Gold IndyCar Streaming Pass for $55, INCLUDING LIVE RACES besides practice and qualifying, and all that AVAILABLE GLOBALLY. This is what fans want, and it is absolutely doable. Make it happen, and all is forgiven.

The only thing that stopped me from buying the streaming pass was the lack of live races, honestly. I wish they'd do that. I also wish they'd get their act together with their streaming app; the resolution and frame rate are severely inferior to that of ESPN's app, and ESPN's app doesn't force me to watch an ad every time the stream crashes and I have to reload it...

Advertisement

#102 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,836 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 18:47

It's not like it's some minor issue, it's the backbone of the entire fanbase. No accessible way to watch = no fans = no sport. 

As much as I like Robin, I couldn’t disagree with him more on this. Alienating your fans isn’t exactly constructive in building a good fan base and they’re completely entitled to feel short-changed over broadcasting changes. It’s the sort of thing that needs to be handled with tact which is the complete opposite of what’s actually happened.

And why is this so hard to understand? Neither IndyCar (whoever is running the show there) nor Miller seem to get it. I am quickly evolving from "i'll do anything to watch IndyCar and schedule the rest of my life around it" through "i can't really be bothered anymore to jump through hoops to follow it and i can't justify the costs" to "i will actively boycott it because i know i'm being screwed, they know i know i'm being screwed, and they're telling me they don't care".

Not that it will make a difference to anyone else than me, because obviously IndyCar doesn't care if i have affordable access or not, and Miller just basically told me to shut up and either pay up or **** off.

#103 Peat

Peat

• 3,945 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 22:12

Agree. Miller missed by a margin on this one.

#104 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,926 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 22:33

Anja. Doesn’t PolSat have it ?
Jp

#105 loki

loki

• 5,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:02

'World Series'

Just like in baseball.  Canada and US = world...

#106 Anja

Anja

• 3,576 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:06

Anja. Doesn’t PolSat have it ?
Jp

I was looking into it before the season and it seems that there's absolutely no coverage in Poland right now. At least I didn't find anything. 

#107 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,926 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:08

Hopefully you have a sweeet Nigerian broadcast at your disposal.

Jp

#108 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,050 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:20

There are always the Fast Forward videos, which in a general sense is a much better way to watch racing prone to being affected by interruptions and FCYs.

It's unfortunate WEC has copied F1 in taking to making highlights that make little sense to someone who hasn't watched the race. It's not so bad in F1 where the start tends to be the main event, but not so in endurance racing.

Indycar's 20 minute summaries strike a near perfect balance, and the Fast Forward videos usually appear on Monday, so not too long after the event. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 18 March 2019 - 23:21.

#109 Anja

Anja

• 3,576 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:27

Hopefully you have a sweeet Nigerian broadcast at your disposal.

Jp

Fortunately I'm not very picky, if one's determined enough there's always something   ;)

#110 rghojai

rghojai

• 757 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:54

Count me among those who completely disagree w. Miller... having stuck with Indycar through thick and thin. Specifically and generally, it's galling when some operation is new or struggling, starts to get somewhere thanks to the support of serious fans, promptly demands more money or the people who helped 'em get somewhere can rot in Hell.

IndyCat sez Miles & Miller can nuzzle the feline rude parts.U8b6xon.jpg

Edited by rghojai, 18 March 2019 - 23:56.

#111 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,160 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 00:02

'World Series'

Still on about that?  :lol:  (though in reference to the perpetual whining about TV at least I can see the relevance)

You mean, sort of like how for years there was a "World Drivers' Championship" that never left Europe?   ;)

*aside from a race on another continent that rarely had any of the European drivers in it, and was for the most part conducted with incompatible rules

Edited by Jim Thurman, 19 March 2019 - 00:06.

#112 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,824 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:53

Have any of you guys ever met Davey Hamilton? I was in a YT rabbit hole last night and came across a clip from the horrible Vegas 2011 race. I remember before that race, reading about Davey Hamilton's comeback and being so impressed. I have (I guess you would say) a phobia about losing my legs (it's been a recurring theme infrequently in nightmares and bad drug trips across my 27 years) and of course in car racing there are is no shortage of horror stories along those lines. I read some more about Davey last night but like so many names in the last 20 years of IndyCar racing, mostly these people are just names in a stat book to me. I'd be curious if anyone has any stories.

#113 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,160 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:20

I have (I guess you would say) a phobia about losing my legs (it's been a recurring theme infrequently in nightmares and bad drug trips across my 27 years) and of course in car racing there are is no shortage of horror stories along those lines.

While there are plenty of drivers who wound up with severely damaged legs and/or feet, particularly in the era where the cockpit was so far forward, the only "horror story" along those lines in racing I know of would be Alex Zanardi and Billy Monger. There have been accidents where drivers lost a leg or a foot, but those have also been extremely rare.

"Horror stories" about racing deaths and injuries are quite often terribly exaggerated, with not a shred of truth involved. Which I've never understood. It was bad enough, why the sick need for embellishment?

Edited to add Billy Monger, who I'd neglected solely due to focusing on U.S. racing.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 20 March 2019 - 18:19.

#114 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 316 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:26

Have any of you guys ever met Davey Hamilton? I was in a YT rabbit hole last night and came across a clip from the horrible Vegas 2011 race. I remember before that race, reading about Davey Hamilton's comeback and being so impressed. I have (I guess you would say) a phobia about losing my legs (it's been a recurring theme infrequently in nightmares and bad drug trips across my 27 years) and of course in car racing there are is no shortage of horror stories along those lines. I read some more about Davey last night but like so many names in the last 20 years of IndyCar racing, mostly these people are just names in a stat book to me. I'd be curious if anyone has any stories.

Actually your fear about losing legs has nothing to do with losing legs. It means that your energy is stored in the upper part of the body mostly. Thus making you disconnected from earth/ground/nature and prone to overthinking. You will enjoy life better if you channel some of the energy though the legs.

Edited by BiggestBuddyLazierFan, 19 March 2019 - 07:27.

#115 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 26,657 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:25

I have a phobia of losing my fingernails. What am I doing wrong?

#116 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 316 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:33

I have a phobia of losing my fingernails. What am I doing wrong?

You are lacking iniciative. Having trouble making decisions. And if you do make decision you are always seeking for approval from your loved ones. You are always seeking for an aliby even though you are not guilty of anything.

#117 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,926 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:55

Is that a tarot reading ?
Jp

#118 Anja

Anja

• 3,576 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:55

I didn't know OvDrone had a second account. 

#119 Frood

Frood

• 3,084 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:15

Are we sure Ov can’t simply astrally project his soul into another being?

Advertisement

#120 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 316 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:15

Is that a tarot reading ?
Jp

No, it is phobia analysis.

You can tell a lot about peoples character, energy and life habits by analysing their phobias

#121 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,382 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:36

You can tell a lot about peoples character, energy and life habits by analysing their phobias

Be afraid, be very afraid ...

#122 red stick

red stick

• 3,137 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:59

I didn't know OvDrone had a second account. 

Color me skeptical.  OvDrone's a better speller--unless that's part of the ruse.    ;)

#123 Peat

Peat

• 3,945 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:07

Still on about that?  :lol:  (though in reference to the perpetual whining about TV at least I can see the relevance)

You mean, sort of like how for years there was a "World Drivers' Championship" that never left Europe?   ;)

*aside from a race on another continent that rarely had any of the European drivers in it, and was for the most part conducted with incompatible rules

I'm just a limey with bad teeth. Give me a break.  

#124 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,824 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:44

While there are plenty of drivers who wound up with severely damaged legs and/or feet, particularly in the era where the cockpit was so far forward, the only "horror story" along those lines in racing I know of would be Alex Zanardi. There have been accidents where drivers lost a leg or a foot, but those have also been extremely rare.

"Horror stories" about racing deaths and injuries are quite often terribly exaggerated, with not a shred of truth involved. Which I've never understood. It was bad enough, why the sick need for embellishment?

I'm sorry if you considered my phrasing an exaggeration Jim. As I said, it's something particularly scary to me, in the way some are scared of flying and others not at all. For over 20 years I've daydreamed of being a race car driver and - for whatever reason unique to me - sitting in a car with my legs all messed up (or gone) has some particular fear inside of me. Obviously losing them completely is worse. It resonates with me today as it always has done in racing, considering the current plight of guys like Wickens and Monger and indeed Zanardi, that it takes a tremendous power of character to overcome injuries like that and return to racing, something that I was reminded of reading a bit more about Davey Hamilton's career yesterday.

I know some of the regulars here have met former Indy drivers or are friends with them. I've always considered racing a step above just about nearly any other sport in terms of the way it demands you battle your fears and confront what frightens you, and for as long as I've watched racing and the 3 years of karting I did, I have taken an interest in these kinds of internal tests of mettle. I was curious if anyone here had ever met an example of someone I admired.

Edited by Andrew Hope, 19 March 2019 - 11:45.

#125 Anja

Anja

• 3,576 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:45

Color me skeptical.  OvDrone's a better speller--unless that's part of the ruse.    ;)

The plot thickens... 

#126 paulb

paulb

• 6,140 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:55

BiggestBuddyLazierFan can't be OvDrone, there is no purple in sight.

#127 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,926 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:10

Didn’t Buddy win the 500 in a purple car ?

( and technically speaking Ov’s signature colour is Magenta)

Jp

#128 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,824 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:16

There's a hipster word for every color these days.

#129 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,599 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:17

BiggestBuddyLazierFan can't be OvDrone, there is no purple in sight.

The actual biggest Buddy Lazier fan is David Land on YouTube, anyway.

#130 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 316 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:25

Didn’t Buddy win the 500 in a purple car ?

( and technically speaking Ov’s signature colour is Magenta)

Jp

No. Buddy won in a violet car with lemon patches

#131 Frood

Frood

• 3,084 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:25

I thought maybe he’s Bob (or even Jaques) Lazier.

#132 red stick

red stick

• 3,137 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 15:25

I have taken an interest in these kinds of internal tests of mettle. I was curious if anyone here had ever met an example of someone I admired.

I've had a couple of occasions over the years to speak briefly with Rick Mears, a childhood hero of mine who suffered horrendous injuries to both lower legs and feet at Montreal in 1984, and whom still clearly has difficulty walking.  I'm sure there are others who had more extensive relationships withe drivers from that age, where accidents were more prevalent and the cars were not nearly as structurally sound.

#133 red stick

red stick

• 3,137 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 18:29

Are we sure Ov can’t simply astrally project his soul into another being?

First thought:  Would not put it past him.

Second thought, and almost immediately following first thought:  Buddy Lazier???  In what universe, spectral plane, state of consciousness, section of the time/space continuum, etc, does that make sense?  YMMV.

#134 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,160 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 18:47

This forum is at its best with all this Buddy Lazier/OvDrone, tarot, phobia stuff. Well done all  :up:

I'm just a limey with bad teeth. Give me a break.  

:lol:  :up:

#135 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,160 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 19:00

I'm sorry if you considered my phrasing an exaggeration Jim. As I said, it's something particularly scary to me, in the way some are scared of flying and others not at all. For over 20 years I've daydreamed of being a race car driver and - for whatever reason unique to me - sitting in a car with my legs all messed up (or gone) has some particular fear inside of me. Obviously losing them completely is worse. It resonates with me today as it always has done in racing, considering the current plight of guys like Wickens and Monger and indeed Zanardi, that it takes a tremendous power of character to overcome injuries like that and return to racing, something that I was reminded of reading a bit more about Davey Hamilton's career yesterday.

I know some of the regulars here have met former Indy drivers or are friends with them. I've always considered racing a step above just about nearly any other sport in terms of the way it demands you battle your fears and confront what frightens you, and for as long as I've watched racing and the 3 years of karting I did, I have taken an interest in these kinds of internal tests of mettle. I was curious if anyone here had ever met an example of someone I admired.

All good Andrew  :up:  I neglected Billy Monger solely because I was thinking in terms of Indycar or U.S. racing, but again, fortunately those sort of injuries that Monger and Zanardi suffered have been extremely rare (those two?). When I wrote "sick", I wasn't referring to your query, but making a general observation. Between forums/message boards, YouTube and Facebook, the bulls--- runs amok with tales of gore and gruesomeness involving seemingly every racing accident. It's often along the lines of: "Yeah, my wife's brother-in-law was there. He seen it! All that was left of him was a pinky and his left nut!" (in some cases, "cousin-in-law" might fit  ;)  ) These folks don't take very kindly to the facts, which never mesh with their lurid tales. We've even had a bit of it here, but fortunately it doesn't seem as widespread at this forum as it is on others. As I wrote, I don't understand those folks. What actually happened was bad enough, why the need to add to it?

I would have loved to have raced too, but for $$$ and other things coming up. As a teenager, I was involved in a sport that had potential to cause injury and even a low possibility of death, but it was something I wanted to do, so I didn't mind (and I didn't suffer from teenage invulnerability syndrome either  :yawnface: )

#136 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,926 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 23:06

#StarttheCOTAthread

Jp

#137 FLB

FLB

• 9,434 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 23:21

While there are plenty of drivers who wound up with severely damaged legs and/or feet, particularly in the era where the cockpit was so far forward, the only "horror story" along those lines in racing I know of would be Alex Zanardi. There have been accidents where drivers lost a leg or a foot, but those have also been extremely rare.

I went to Indy Pole Day and practice in 2004. When I spotted a man limping that I didn't recongnize, I remember thinking he must have been a driver at some point and when I asked a Yellow Shirt, I got my answer...

There are a lot of Ex-IndyCar guys in their 60s who limp. I felt pain just watching Pancho Carter walk.

#138 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,924 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:01

#StarttheCOTAthread

Jp

Gimme a C!   COLTON!!

Gimme an O!  O'WARD!!

Gimme a T!  TAKUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!1!!1!

Gimme an A!  ANDRET.... uuuuh make that ALEXANDERROSSI!

What does that spell?  COTA!  Which is ALMOST an anagram for SATO!!!1!1!!  It's a sign!  :lol:

#139 red stick

red stick

• 3,137 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:18

COTA is an anagram for TACO. Which is like Taku. Hey, you're right, all roads do lead to Sato.

Advertisement

#140 Frood

Frood

• 3,084 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:04

Austin isn’t that far from Sa(n An)to(nio). Somebody get working on those road signs, pronto!

#141 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 33,382 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:18

You called?

the-lone-ranger-and-tonto-underwood-arch

Oh, sorry ... you said pronto!

#142 Peat

Peat

• 3,945 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:05

Danica joins NBC for the Indy500 broadcast

*sigh*

#143 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 26,657 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:33

How was Danica behind the camera in her NASCAR broadcasts? She's never been particularly shy with her opinions.

#144 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,824 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:34

Time flies. Now it's gonna be Unnecessary Danica Mentioning.

#145 red stick

red stick

• 3,137 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:42

You guys aren't thinking big picture--when she does her inevitable "behind the scenes" interview with Alonso, the media universe may explode. EXPLODE!

#146 Peat

Peat

• 3,945 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:44

How was Danica behind the camera in her NASCAR broadcasts? She's never been particularly shy with her opinions.

Her appearance on Joe Rogan was akin to: 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NLXrpImBCQ

Edited by Peat, 20 March 2019 - 12:45.

#147 red stick

red stick

• 3,137 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:46

Also, Danica and Paul Tracy. In the same booth. For days. Think about it.

Mike Tirico might be a veerrrrrryyyyyyy busy man.

Edited by red stick, 20 March 2019 - 14:09.

#148 Frood

Frood

• 3,084 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 16:01

Also, Danica and Paul Tracy. In the same booth. For days. Think about it.

Why does Paul, the largest commentator, not simply eat the other commentators?

More seriously, Danica is as outspoken as PT is. Should be fun.

Edited by Frood, 20 March 2019 - 16:01.

#149 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,694 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 16:36

I have no phobias. What does that mean?

#150 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 316 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 16:54

I have no phobias. What does that mean?

That you are not sincire human being.

Sorry, but you asked. And I gave you the answer.