Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
6055 replies to this topic

#5001 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,329 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:19

That's the same source "confirming" a new lightweight chassis for Hockenheim or Hungary, in other words a lot of BS.

Edited by SonGoku, 11 August 2019 - 12:19.

Advertisement

#5002 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 21,890 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 14:13

But think it from Hamiltons side: he could do something that Scumacher did, something that Vettel and Alonso both failed at - to deliver a championship in the red car. It would also mean a championship in three different teams which is no mean feat.

In '21, Lewis is 36 so he still would have those couple of years to do it. For Ferrari this would only help Leclerc as all of the pressure would not be on him.

I think Leclerc would feel the pressure almost suffocating him, because he has to beat or appear a match for Hamilton.
But, I dont think Hamilton will leave Mercedes to have his swansong at Ferrari. He very often makes a point of always having driven with Mercedes engines, and seem proud of that.

#5003 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 1,172 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:10

Behind the scenes at Monaco from Odell Beckham Jr., with Lewis.

https://youtu.be/dOXOnOAAl2Y?t=242

#5004 teejay

teejay

• 5,698 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:27

I know it's off season, and it's boring for all, so I'll dribble here but allow me. 

We talk about speed, tyre and fuel useage etc. 

But one of Lewis's greatest abilities that doesn't get spoken of enough is his ability to follow others in dirty air, and stay there without destroying his tyres. 

Foxtel is the pay provider here in Australia, they are showing season reviews atm and yesterday they showed 2012. They showed Austin where Lewis stalked Vettel for ages until he got the chance to pass. 

Then i got to thinking - he does that a lot, seemingly more and with more ease than alot of others. Canada this year, Hungary for the most part, his ability to stay close forced Max to use the tyre harder, which then lead to his tyres falling off the cliff. 

Am I imaging this or is there some truth to my thought process? 

#5005 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,798 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:40

Nice words from Will on Lewis - starts at 15:50

Edited by jstrains, 12 August 2019 - 10:18.

#5006 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,231 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:41

Nice words from Will on Lewis

Timestamp? I'd rather not watch the entire 50 minute video!

#5007 peroa

peroa

• 10,386 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:02

It's a good interview, though ...

Edited by peroa, 12 August 2019 - 09:02.

#5008 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,798 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:15

I wanted to post it with timestamp, but I do not know how to do it, sorry - starts at 15:50. He also says he thinks Verstappen is currently better...

Edited by jstrains, 12 August 2019 - 10:17.

#5009 Hela

Hela

• 500 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:09

I know it's off season, and it's boring for all, so I'll dribble here but allow me. 

But one of Lewis's greatest abilities that doesn't get spoken of enough is his ability to follow others in dirty air, and stay there without destroying his tyres. 

Foxtel is the pay provider here in Australia, they are showing season reviews atm and yesterday they showed 2012. They showed Austin where Lewis stalked Vettel for ages until he got the chance to pass. 

Then i got to thinking - he does that a lot, seemingly more and with more ease than alot of others. Canada this year, Hungary for the most part, his ability to stay close forced Max to use the tyre harder, which then lead to his tyres falling off the cliff. 

During the Nico years this was his stock in trade, he would stalk Nico for awhile and then unleash, you would wonder how he kept his tyres in good shape. Prime examples are 

Suzuka 2014 - Hunted him down in the rain till he got past

Monza 2014 - stalked him and pressured him into an error

Austin 2014 - another hunt 

Monza 2018 - pushed kimi into submission

Am sure there are quite a few other examples but these I do remember quite well

Doesn't work all the time but more often than not it does, in Baku 2019 he stalked Bottas throughout but it didn't come off but I know what you mean. how he saves the tyres is beyond me. I think he knows when exactly to pull back and keep 2 secs behind and looks for openings when the other car has used up it's tyres and then makes his move. 

#5010 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,578 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:02

No I don’t think you’re imagining it. It’s because of the same reason why he is so good at overtaking and defending. He can maintain pace while taking very different lines. So you can see when he is following another car, he does the opposite of what the car in front is doing. For example if the car in front is taking a wide entry for a fine exit, Lewis will go deep into the corner gaining time there and compromise his exit line a bit. Overall it’s slightly slower than his ideal line, but helps him stay close without being as affected in dirty air. His balance of the car with throttle, brakes and steering is superb regardless of what line he takes so he avoids over using the one end of the tyres over the other e.g fronts over rears or vice versa.

He’s not the only one who is very good at this. Alonso was, and Max is.

#5011 OO7

OO7

• 19,145 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:30

I wanted to post it with timestamp, but I do not know how to do it, sorry - starts at 15:50. He also says he thinks Verstappen is currently better...

He said driving as good as if not better than Lewis or something to that effect if I recall correctly.

#5012 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:22

if that's the clear decision , if it's dragging it's that someebody is putting pressure into putting ocon in the equation.

I don't think it's dragging at all. Securing a driver a seat elsewhere just takes some time. 

Wolff said the public announcement might not even come in August, but not because the decision hasn't been made. 

#5013 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,578 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:22

The comparisons are a bit meaningless. The cars have different strengths and weaknesses, Lewis has Valtteri as team mate while Max has Gasly. Lewis playing the championship long game, Max has nothing to lose. All we can say is that both are driving at a very high level. Lewis is driving as expected and as he has done for many seasons now hence the 5 titles, while Max is driving well above expectations and far improved over his crash kid early 2018 days.

The expectation of the car also colours perception. Lewis drives a Merc and it’s considered a superior car even when it isn’t. Max is driving a Honda engined car, and it’s considered the inferior car even when it isn’t.

The only way we would find out is if they were team mates.

#5014 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,578 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 16:29

I think one of two things happen with the Bottas situation. Either he stays for one more year, Ocon goes to Williams and he and Russell fight it out, winner gets Bottas’ seat in 2021. This would be IMO the most logical solution. We get to see a direct comparison between Russell and Ocon, and each gets one more season of experience before they sit as team mate against the juggernaut in 2021.

Or, Ocon gets Bottas seat and Bottas goes to Williams. Positive is we get to see how Russell rates against Bottas, but negative is that I think Ocon would get absolutely crushed in results against Lewis. I don’t see him out qualifying Lewis except for 2 or 3 times tops over the season when Lewis either messes up or tyres are completely out of the window.

Either way, Kubica is out next season.

#5015 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 10,550 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 17:18

Given where they are in the pecking order, Williams is a team for rookies. Ocon is at the career stage of taking the next step up the ladder. No way Williams is an option for him.

#5016 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,984 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 19:49

Ocon can decide if he wants a backwards Renault seat or continued shot at a Merc seat.  After a year on the sidelines it may be tough to swallow a year at Williams, but if he is as good as he thinks it means a career lead seat at Mercedes.  Ocon has to think 3 years and on from now when he is in his prime, not worry over a season or two considering the prize.

#5017 Paco

Paco

• 3,434 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 20:47

I just don’t see Bottas going to Williams... why would he, definitely not for the results or money and would be judged against a fast rookie... it’s all nonsense for him. Better Haas with Roman, at Alfa for maybe a callup following year depending on how he goes against Kimi.

#5018 Paco

Paco

• 3,434 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 20:48

If only Williams and Mercedes had the courage to pull a RB and put Ocon in now and give Kubica the boot he’s earned.

#5019 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,329 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 22:37

If they drop Bottas, they should put Ocon in the car in Spa. Useless to let an uninspired Bottas do 9 races knowing he isn't there next year.

Advertisement

#5020 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 22:52

If they drop Bottas, they should put Ocon in the car in Spa. Useless to let an uninspired Bottas do 9 races knowing he isn't there next year.

First, there is no sign at this point that they don't plan on re-signing Bottas yet again. Everything they've done so far has been to try to boost demand for Ocon from other teams.

And second, they're not Red Bull that put a driver in the second car that had no business being in that seat in the first place. They don't switch drivers mid-season.

#5021 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 535 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 23:39

Given where they are in the pecking order, Williams is a team for rookies. Ocon is at the career stage of taking the next step up the ladder. No way Williams is an option for him.

Williams are getting £20m to put Kubica in a car.  Mercedes won't be paying out that much to put Ocon with them. If Ocon isn't in the Mercedes next year, he'll be with another team, without Tot's backing.

#5022 teejay

teejay

• 5,698 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 00:32

They spent a pretty penny to get Bottas out of Williams, would be ironic if they then spent pretty pennies to get him out of Merc/Back into a Williams/Ocon in. 

#5023 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,006 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:41

Verstappen’s father thinks Hamilton is rattled

https://grandpx.news...ton-is-rattled/

I think we saw in Hungary how rattled Lewis really is. Give him a challenge, he rises above it. That's what he wants, and there's no other driver on the grid that has demonstrated that ability with consistency over the years. 

Jos also predicts half a decade of Honda dominance. 

Gotta love how every year, it's next year when things are really going to be different. So it's good for them there's always a next year coming up. 

Edited by beachdrifter, 13 August 2019 - 12:44.

#5024 Paco

Paco

• 3,434 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 13:34

Man alive Jos.. he’s now got his headbinbthebsandbas well with all this RB hype. Had Ferrari not been such a mess the 1st half they be sulking and complaining like crazy. It’s been good to have RB in the mix but man alive all this is getting boring about Max.

As for Lewis, yes he isn’t on his reg form but the guy will prob win 10+ races this year in a car that on many weekends hasn’t been the best.. he needs to up his wuaki a bit but races he’s been pretty much on point outside of rain mess.

I get everyone wanting a new point guy, especially with Charles fizzling a bit with all his mistakes and seb way off his form but man, Lewisbis still the reliable benchmark.

I just hope Albon gets close to Max to cool the insanity there and I hope Williams cause some news as well dripping Kubica.

Racing been good, silly season been fun thus far and lots of stuff going on.. man I hope they keep things as is and don’t mess with 2021 much.

#5025 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,563 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 13:36

Verstappen’s father thinks Hamilton is rattled

https://grandpx.news...ton-is-rattled/

I think we saw in Hungary how rattled Lewis really is. Give him a challenge, he rises above it. That's what he wants, and there's no other driver on the grid that has demonstrated that ability with consistency over the years.

Jos also predicts half a decade of Honda dominance.

Gotta love how every year, it's next year when things are really going to be different. So it's good for them there's always a next year coming up.

Where exactly is he saying that Hamilton is rattled?

Also the half s decade Honda dominance prediction appears to be from Stefan Johansson.

Edited by Marklar, 13 August 2019 - 13:37.

#5026 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,329 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 13:40

Jos needs to be concerned about himself and his very dark past.

#5027 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,136 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 13:42

I agree with Jos somewhat.

Whereas Hamilton has always had competitive respect (i.e. I know I can beat you) for Button, Rosberg and Vettel, I sense something else with Max.

Hence why he was so emotional when he won in Hungary. I think other posters have referred to it, but Hamilton was tangibly ecstatic/relieved having proved the short-term doubters wrong. Especially after being humbled in Germany.

One of my favourite parts of the GP was the back-and-forth radio messages. They were both properly anxious and on the edge. Been a while since we've had that.

Edited by TomNokoe, 13 August 2019 - 13:43.

#5028 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,059 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:08

What I found really odd was that Max found it necessary to put Lewis down in his Motorsport mag interview where Lewis has been praising Max in the media. Perhaps that was the influence of Jos.

#5029 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,563 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:25

Yeah, the stuff Max has been saying recently (like that Hamilton never had a team mate that put enough pressure on him lol, sure kid) is way more weird than what Jos says. All Jos is saying is that Red Bull is increasing the pressure on Mercedes and that they feel it, which well, is true ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But well, guess that's an attempt of mind games in anticipation of 2020. Too bad that people havent realized yet that this stuff is usually motivating Hamilton rather than rattling him :p

#5030 KeithD68

KeithD68

• 110 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:44

It’s just mind games to try and rattle Lewis and Mercedes.

Doubt it will have any effect.

#5031 Hela

Hela

• 500 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:45

I agree with Jos somewhat.

Whereas Hamilton has always had competitive respect (i.e. I know I can beat you) for Button, Rosberg and Vettel, I sense something else with Max.

Hence why he was so emotional when he won in Hungary. I think other posters have referred to it, but Hamilton was tangibly ecstatic/relieved having proved the short-term doubters wrong. Especially after being humbled in Germany.

One of my favourite parts of the GP was the back-and-forth radio messages. They were both properly anxious and on the edge. Been a while since we've had that.

I think this had absolutely nothing to do with Max. It had to do with him not winning in Germany and the whole debacle of the pit strategy, him binning it and the whole 125 year dress up nonsense, that's why Hungary had more meaning. The Max and all the other stuff had more to do with Sky narrative and Horner and Marko eulogising their ward.

If Vettel had won Germany, it would have been a different narrative and people will be calling it the "bounce back" or "Vettel redeems himself in Germany a year after throwing it away" instead he came second and no one has said nothing about that.

It's all perception and propaganda feeding the narrative.

Edited by Hela, 13 August 2019 - 14:50.

#5032 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 404 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:47

I'm still a bit surprised how much people are reading into the most recent 2 race form from VER vs. the entire year for HAM.  HAM made one mistake in Germany (which was quite similar to the mistake VER made) which was compounded by the 3-ring-circus-pit-stop from the team. Further, HAM was sick with, what I suspect, was a respiratory tract infection based on the symptoms he was presenting in the press conferences post Germany and Hungary.  The car wasn't up to par due to cooling in Austria so therefore no real comparison can be made.  Therefore considering the former 2 reasons this entire changing-of-the-guard; VER is the best, HAM is in decline, HAM is worried, etc., is quite inaccurate and completely belies the objective reality that this is the single best start to an F1 season that HAM has had in his career, thus far.  

Considering 8 wins from 12 races with his two worst being Germany (his mistake compounded by the pit-stop shenanigans) and Austria (Car thermal management issue), this talk is patently ridiculous.  This goes for both HAM and AMG-Petronas as BOT has won 2 races, as well, giving them 10 of 12 for the season.

Let it continue to unfold. I'll agree that VER is ascending but to say that he is better than HAM isn't what I would bet money on at this point. 

#5033 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,291 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 14:52

It’s just mind games to try and rattle Lewis and Mercedes.

Doubt it will have any effect.

Doing that can really bite you in the ass. Ask Ferrari who were very sure about themselves after Silverstone last year and we all know how that ended.

#5034 Paco

Paco

• 3,434 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:10

I hope Lewis takes it high and just comes and says “it’s nice to see his father supporting his son and what else would expect his father to say”. “We’ve easily been the best squad this year over the whole year, so RB should consider that as well, not just the last 4 races of which I’ve won a few and been very sick for one of the races”.. “so be happy as they should be but they still have a ways to go to winning a championship from Mercedes or myself”

#5035 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 3,466 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:19

Are you sure Jos actually said "rattled" or was something lost in translation? The word rattled and the description he gave don't seem to sync up. Did he mean something like "excited", "buoyed" or "determined"?

Rattled is normally used to describe someone who makes mistakes, not someone who goes and wins the race.

#5036 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 339 posts

Lewis doesn't need to respond to anything at all.

He's on course for his 6th championship. Everything else is just noise.

#5037 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,507 posts

I'm still a bit surprised how much people are reading into the most recent 2 race form from VER vs. the entire year for HAM.  HAM made one mistake in Germany (which was quite similar to the mistake VER made) which was compounded by the 3-ring-circus-pit-stop from the team. Further, HAM was sick with, what I suspect, was a respiratory tract infection based on the symptoms he was presenting in the press conferences post Germany and Hungary.  The car wasn't up to par due to cooling in Austria so therefore no real comparison can be made.  Therefore considering the former 2 reasons this entire changing-of-the-guard; VER is the best, HAM is in decline, HAM is worried, etc., is quite inaccurate and completely belies the objective reality that this is the single best start to an F1 season that HAM has had in his career, thus far.  

Considering 8 wins from 12 races with his two worst being Germany (his mistake compounded by the pit-stop shenanigans) and Austria (Car thermal management issue), this talk is patently ridiculous.  This goes for both HAM and AMG-Petronas as BOT has won 2 races, as well, giving them 10 of 12 for the season.

Let it continue to unfold. I'll agree that VER is ascending but to say that he is better than HAM isn't what I would bet money on at this point. 

I just shrug my shoulders at it. The talk isn't slowing him down. If anything, it'll just inspire him to push harder. The way I see it, the changing of the guard is going to happen sooner or later. For fans who dislike Merc's dominance, it gives them something to anticipate and follow at the front. Personally, I'm not certain Max is going to be the heir to the throne. George Russell might well end up being a real gem, and if he hops into a Merc that's still dominant, it's going to be hard to pass the torch to Max when there's someone else hoarding all the tangible accolades. 

TBH, Max got goosed to poles everytime the RB was in range of it, when he was teaming with Danny. Now Ricciardo might or might not be the genuine article, but you don't get outright ownership of best of the grid when you've shown a deficiency in any area to another driver. Lewis, love him or not, has been a better qualifier and racer than all of his teammates. Nico probably came closest in the qualifying department, but the cumulative tally still weighs in Lewis' favor. So he earned his best on the grid chops by demonstrating it over many years. When that McLaren was within striking range of a pole or win, he grabbed them. Max's title might be premature, but I can't fret about it. History will remember Lewis' name, because he's done more than enough to etch it in titanium-plated tungsten. He's left a permanent mark that extends further than a couple of wins when the other challenger to that title was unable to compete. 

On a side note, while I still consider Germany one of Lewis' worst races in his career, it should be noted that before his pit stop, in wet conditions, he was once again putting on a master class, annihilating the pace of the next-nearest driver. It was his mistake going off, but he wasn't alone, and actually salvaged points in the end, instead of having it end his race. Not many drivers in F1's history have shown that much brilliance during their worst outings. Had it stayed wet, he'd have had another massive wet weather notch on his belt. However, coulda, woulda, shouldas don't count, so I'm cool with giving Max all the praise for that race. He was quick when it dried, and made the fewest mistakes when it was wet.

#5038 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,507 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:24

As for Lewis, yes he isn’t on his reg form but the guy will prob win 10+ races this year in a car that on many weekends hasn’t been the best.. he needs to up his wuaki a bit but races he’s been pretty much on point outside of rain mess.

You know...I actually googled "wuaki" to find out if it was some polynesia term for chi or something. Then I looked at my keyboard. LOL.

#5039 P123

P123

• 15,923 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:35

The Verstappens know that Hamilton is the guy to be taken down if they are to succeed. So expect more commentary from them (although all tame stuff). The media love a 'changing of the guard' story, so expect more of that talk from them too. Max has driven superbly, and definitely looks ready to be a WDC, but as I pointed out in one of the ranking topics to those getting giddy about how "far far better" Max was.... Hamilton isn't going anywhere for a while. Hockenheim is only the 110th time Hamilton has been written off by those a little too keen for their own good to see him falter. It's all bluster. I'm sure he enjoyed Hungary. :)

Edited by P123, 13 August 2019 - 15:38.

Advertisement

#5040 shure

shure

• 844 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:46

I think Leclerc would feel the pressure almost suffocating him, because he has to beat or appear a match for Hamilton.
But, I dont think Hamilton will leave Mercedes to have his swansong at Ferrari. He very often makes a point of always having driven with Mercedes engines, and seem proud of that.

I don't see any difference to how he had to face Vettel, a x4 WDC.  Didn't appear to faze him so why would going up against Hamilton?

#5041 shure

shure

• 844 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 15:50

what makes you think people are only reading into the latest 2 race form from Max?  His season to date compares very favourably with Hamilton's, not just the last two races.  Whichever driver you consider to have driven the best so far this year, it's not ridiculous to choose either

#5042 Hela

Hela

• 500 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 16:02

I don't see any difference to how he had to face Vettel, a x4 WDC.  Didn't appear to faze him so why would going up against Hamilton?

There is a slight difference in that it was a better choice due to the backmarker team he was coming from. Its like asking Giovanazzi to leave Alfa and face up with Lewis in a mercedes, he certainly won't be fazed, in fact he would want it, not that he will do well against Lewis but for the fact that he's leaving a backmarker team for a front running team and nothing beats that so he will grab it with both hands even if its Lewis, Schumacher, Fangio or Senna he was driving against.. 

Its not about the driver being a 4x wdc, its more about leaving a backmarker and driving for a front running team rather than anything else

Edited by Hela, 13 August 2019 - 16:03.

#5043 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,136 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 16:17

Yeah, the stuff Max has been saying recently (like that Hamilton never had a team mate that put enough pressure on him lol, sure kid) is way more weird than what Jos says.

I've deliberately ignored the MM article because I know it will trigger me.

#5044 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,006 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:09

Also the half s decade Honda dominance prediction appears to be from Stefan Johansson.

You're right! I read this as Jos continuing to talk. For some reason that other dude seems to chime in, but then Jos takes over again, as if they had gathered in a little Max/Honda hype-fest, with the obligatory Senna reference thrown in for good measure: 

“As I said a year ago, Verstappen and Honda will dominate, probably for four or five years once they get it right, which they will.

“When Honda is committed they always get it right in the end, and once they do they are very hard to stop,” he added.

And when that happens, Jos thinks his son will be a “hero” in Japan.

“What happened with Senna may now happen with Max. And that’s only good,” Verstappen senior said.

#5045 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,578 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:14

Jos living vicariously it seems. It’s good his son will achieve results that Jos never had the discipline to nor the raw talent required in spades to make up for such lack of discipline.

Max is very, very good. Lewis recognises that, but has been nothing but respectful and genuine about Max’s talent and achievements even going out of his way to praise it. Both in front of Max and behind his back. Max on the other hand has been respectful enough in front of Lewis but a bit of a douche behind his back. There’s been several statements about how a lot of drivers would have won 5 titles in the Mercedes. Which is a terribly loose statement simply because it fails to consider the blatantly obvious and more pertinent question - could any driver have won 5 titles in the Mercedes with Lewis Hamilton as team mate? Did Nico Rosberg?

At best, it’s a childish and thick statement from Max, and at worst it’s just plain disingenuous.

If intended to try and get into Lewis’ head, then good luck, that hasn’t worked very well for others. Currently Max and Lewis have very different goals in racing and Lewis will give Max a wide berth in general, at least until the championship is all but a done deal. Things will get a lot more interesting when they are both in a close championship fight against each other. Hopefully for all fans, regardless of allegiance, that happens as it will be a treat.

#5046 ferrarista

ferrarista

• 952 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:23

Lewis will only lose the WDC if he goes to Ferrari 😁

Joking aside, good luck to Max and RB/Honda against Lewis and Mercedes!

#5047 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 2,270 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:25

RedBull not only gives you wings.......It gives you Hype........I wouldn't waste time with any of Jos's comments, right after the break F1 will return to the most boring season ever........ :p

#5048 Paco

Paco

• 3,434 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:26

Lewis will only lose the WDC if he goes to Ferrari 😁

Joking aside, good luck to Max and RB/Honda against Lewis and Mercedes!

So funny how Jos and everyone has forgotten how unbeatable Ferrari were to have been and forgetting Ferrari will still win a couple races this year at least.. his and RB should be more concerned Ferrari then Lewis as that’s prob their bigger fight then 2nd half of the season for podiums.. vs worrying about Lewis winning most of them...

Edited by Paco, 13 August 2019 - 17:59.

#5049 shure

shure

• 844 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:31

Jos living vicariously it seems. It’s good his son will achieve results that Jos never had the discipline to nor the raw talent required in spades to make up for such lack of discipline.

Max is very, very good. Lewis recognises that, but has been nothing but respectful and genuine about Max’s talent and achievements even going out of his way to praise it. Both in front of Max and behind his back. Max on the other hand has been respectful enough in front of Lewis but a bit of a douche behind his back. There’s been several statements about how a lot of drivers would have won 5 titles in the Mercedes. Which is a terribly loose statement simply because it fails to consider the blatantly obvious and more pertinent question - could any driver have won 5 titles in the Mercedes with Lewis Hamilton as team mate? Did Nico Rosberg?

At best, it’s a childish and thick statement from Max, and at worst it’s just plain disingenuous.

If intended to try and get into Lewis’ head, then good luck, that hasn’t worked very well for others. Currently Max and Lewis have very different goals in racing and Lewis will give Max a wide berth in general, at least until the championship is all but a done deal. Things will get a lot more interesting when they are both in a close championship fight against each other. Hopefully for all fans, regardless of allegiance, that happens as it will be a treat.

Well that depends on how highly you rate Rosberg, of course.  Or how deeply you choose to analyse Max's statement.  Because I read it simply as him saying that a Merc would have won the titles regardless of who was driving, rather than as a deliberate slight against Hamilton in particular.  

Of course he may have been having a dig, but sometimes I get the impression that people think every statement a driver makes is carefully thought out and calculated from every angle, when often they might say something fairly innocent, like we all do, that may appear to have more than one meaning if viewed from certain perspectives but which weren't intended to.  

#5050 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,006 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 17:32

Let's keep in mind that the only time Lewis and Max actually raced each other this season, Lewis came out on top, despite starting from 3rd only. 

It took Max until his fifth season and 11 races of Gasly as his teammate to finally secure his first pole position.

He only managed to win the 2 races where Lewis couldn't compete for a number of reasons. 

Max is racing without a reference point in his team this season. When Lewis gets beaten by a couple tenths by Bottas, it's Lewis supposedly underperforming. When Gasly was closer to Max, it was because Gasly improved.

Max is in a position where he can only win. And when he doesn't, it's because the Mercedes is too good of a car. 

And Lewis? Can't really win. It's the car when he wins, and when he doesn't it's because he's getting old!   ;)

Edited by beachdrifter, 13 August 2019 - 17:32.