Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
7844 replies to this topic

#5151 shure

shure

• 1,501 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:43

They are the most committed team in F1 these days.

more so than Ferrari, McLaren or Williams? I’m more than a little sceptical

Advertisement

#5152 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:51

more so than Ferrari, McLaren or Williams? I’m more than a little sceptical

Definitely more than the likes of Ferrari, who made another quit threat just a few weeks ago. Williams is shaky financially. Mercedes has committed for both near and mid-term. No quit threats, no vetoes, no financial issues.

And the only reason they haven't committed even longer is because they want to see what the state/relevance of F1 is beyond 2025, which is understandable. They're also joining FE, after all.

Edited by beachdrifter, 16 August 2019 - 19:51.

#5153 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,842 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:15

Definitely more than the likes of Ferrari, who made another quit threat just a few weeks ago. Williams is shaky financially. Mercedes has committed for both near and mid-term. No quit threats, no vetoes, no financial issues.

And the only reason they haven't committed even longer is because they want to see what the state/relevance of F1 is beyond 2025, which is understandable. They're also joining FE, after all.

Ferrari make quit threats, but they are in F1 for the love of racing. Enzo built and sold road cars so that he could go racing and I don’t think that DNA has been lost at Ferrari.

Mercedes also has DNA with Formula 1 of course, but it’s a corporate machine now and they exist in F1 solely to sell more road cars.

#5154 shure

shure

• 1,501 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:20

The quit threats are just part of the political games they play in order to get what they want, but there's no evidence they are aren't committed to staying in F1.  If the rules change to the extent they feel it's detrimental to their interests, then who knows?  But again, that's probably true of anybody but it's mainly Red Bull and Ferrari who use it as a weapon.

Williams are actually one of the few F1 teams that are profitable, largely because they have invested hugely in non-F1 technical development.  They are fully committed to F1, as are McLaren.  Both of these teams, along with Ferrari, are almost part of the DNA of F1 and there's never been any real question of their involvement.

If the claim had been that Mercedes is one of the most committed we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, but the most committed is nonsense and there's nothing to back that up

#5155 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:36

If the claim had been that Mercedes is one of the most committed we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, but the most committed is nonsense and there's nothing to back that up

You can call them one of the most committed if you prefer. 

However, I think it's remarkable that Mercedes has committed to the future of F1 in such an enthusiastic, unconditional way, while others you mentioned have done the opposite: 

McLaren Could Leave F1 If The 2021 Rule Changes Don't Address Key Problems

https://wtf1.com/pos...s-key-problems/

Williams: 

It explains why Claire recently said that if the plan to cap budgets skids off track, then Williams will have to close its doors.

“If I look at it from my perspective, if we don’t do this, then Williams will close, the whole of the company,” she said.

Mercedes: 

“Mercedes will stay in F1 beyond the 2020 and until at least 2025. The decision was taken by the new president of Daimler AG, Ola Källenius, based on the programs drawn up by his predecessor Dieter Zetsche, who he took over from on May 22nd.”

I'm still waiting for Ferrari's, Williams' and McLaren's unconditional commitment until 2025 before I'll call them similarly committed to the future of Liberty's F1.

Edited by beachdrifter, 17 August 2019 - 11:41.

#5156 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,373 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:04

Lol, you are cherrypicking. Mercedes threatened to leave in 2012 for example due to Red Bull and Ferrari getting more prize money. If you win all the time of course you appear more "comitted".

Also this is what Wolff said in 2017

So when asked if Mercedes could join Ferrari in its F1 quit threat, Wolff didn’t back down.

"Such a scenario is quite conceivable," he said. "Just as it is for Ferrari. If we do not see what Formula 1 stands for, then we have to ask ourselves the difficult question: not if but where do we want to operate in motorsport at the highest level?"

Last year Lauda said something similar iirc

I'm still waiting for Ferrari's, Williams' and McLaren's unconditional commitment until 2025 before I'll call them similarly committed to the future of Liberty's F1.

Michael Schmidt said *nobody* committed beyond 2020 yet.

Edited by Marklar, 17 August 2019 - 12:05.

#5157 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:06

Lol, you are cherrypicking. Mercedes threatened to leave in 2012 for example due to Red Bull and Ferrari getting more prize money. If you win all the time of course you appear more "comitted".

Also this is what Wolff said in 2017

Are you joking? We're talking about the current, RIGHT NOW, commitment to the future of F1. It's 2019.

Who else has committed until at least 2025? I want to see those quotes if they exist. 

Edited by beachdrifter, 17 August 2019 - 12:07.

#5158 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,373 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:10

Are you joking? We're talking about the current, RIGHT NOW, commitment to the future of F1. It's 2019.

Who else has committed until at least 2025? I want to see those quotes if they exist.

Nobody, including Mercedes. They all wait for the 2021 rule changes to be ready in october.

And no, I'm not joking. If Mercedes wasnt successful (like McLaren/Williams( they would pull out. No sane person would call them more committed. It's an insult to those who are staying in this sport decades after decades no matter the results

Edited by Marklar, 17 August 2019 - 12:10.

#5159 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:25

And no, I'm not joking. If Mercedes wasnt successful (like McLaren/Williams( they would pull out.  It's an insult to those who are staying in this sport decades after decades no matter the results

You're still talking about the past. I'm talking about right now. What matters to the teams right now, and going forward. The sport is at a crossroads, and Mercedes has clearly positioned themselves for the future. 

Also I could do without the personal attack in your post that I left out. It's unnecessary. Stick to the subject at hand.

Advertisement

#5160 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,278 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:29

Mercedes 2025 commitment was nothing more than a rumour.

Doesn't make any sense for them to commit to anything before they've seen the rules yet.

Edited by Jordan44, 17 August 2019 - 12:31.

#5161 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:41

Mercedes 2025 commitment was nothing more than a rumour.

Toto: 

“But in 10 years the whole auto industry might be different and fully electric and in a different place, so I don’t want to give any comment on where we might be in 10 years but I can say in the short-to-mid-term, F1 makes a lot of sense for Mercedes.”

Pretty much as far as he can go with public statements.

Edited by beachdrifter, 17 August 2019 - 12:47.

#5162 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,278 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:47

Toto:

There aren't really many conclusions you can reach for that. Of course F1 makes sense for them in the short term (that included this year and next year), but beyond that who knows.

#5163 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 13:01

There aren't really many conclusions you can reach for that. Of course F1 makes sense for them in the short term (that included this year and next year), but beyond that who knows.

Wolff seems to know. When I heard mid-term, I thought that would be something like 5 years or more. At least 2025 fits quite nicely with that. And it's clear Mercedes would plan ahead in the way it's been reported. Can't really ask for more at this point, as a Mercedes fan.

Also they seem to be much more open when it comes to making compromises in the interest of the sport, although that's harder to quantify, but I certainly appreciate the attitude displayed in that regard. 

Edited by beachdrifter, 17 August 2019 - 13:04.

#5164 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 23:26

Verstappen believes there are three of four drivers on the grid with the same capabilities as Lewis. 

https://f1i.com/news...s-hamilton.html

I believe he's in for one heck of a wake-up call. I guess the interview was from before the Hungarian GP? Getting hounded by Lewis is quite a different thing from what he's had in F1 up to this point.

Also such goodies as: 

"It’s car-dependent. I don’t think he’s had the pressure of a team-mate over the years," said the 21-year-old.

Says the guy who finally, just, managed to get his first pole in his fifth season, with the last 12 races with Pierre "What am I doing here?" Gasly as his teammate.

Meanwhile, Lewis finished ahead of an all-time great in his rookie season. 

Alonso, btw, once said that Lewis is quicker than "all of them."

Having just watched Hungary again, it was an impressive display of that. He busted the recent narratives of "once Verstappen is ahead in free air, he's relentless, unstoppable and no one on the grid can keep up with him", something that people really believed a few weeks ago.

Verstappen never lost a GP where he was ahead after the first lap, the announcers said. Until Lewis decided it's time to put the hammer down... 

Edited by beachdrifter, 18 August 2019 - 23:27.

#5165 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,348 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 00:17

I guess the interview was from before the Hungarian GP?

It's from the interview that Mark Hughes conducted with him. It seemingly took place in late June/early July. 

Hughes opens the interview with this:

Max still fresh from his dramatic win in Austria

#5166 shure

shure

• 1,501 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:09

Verstappen believes there are three of four drivers on the grid with the same capabilities as Lewis. 

https://f1i.com/news...s-hamilton.html

I believe he's in for one heck of a wake-up call. I guess the interview was from before the Hungarian GP? Getting hounded by Lewis is quite a different thing from what he's had in F1 up to this point.

Also such goodies as: 

Says the guy who finally, just, managed to get his first pole in his fifth season, with the last 12 races with Pierre "What am I doing here?" Gasly as his teammate.

Meanwhile, Lewis finished ahead of an all-time great in his rookie season. 

Alonso, btw, once said that Lewis is quicker than "all of them."

Having just watched Hungary again, it was an impressive display of that. He busted the recent narratives of "once Verstappen is ahead in free air, he's relentless, unstoppable and no one on the grid can keep up with him", something that people really believed a few weeks ago.

Verstappen never lost a GP where he was ahead after the first lap, the announcers said. Until Lewis decided it's time to put the hammer down...

not sure I understand what was so controversial about what Max said?

#5167 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,373 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:12

Well, to claim that he didnt had pressure from his team mates over the years (from context he doesnt only mean Bottas, which would be okay-ish) is idiotic rather than controversial, I agree.

#5168 shure

shure

• 1,501 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:23

Well, to claim that he didnt had pressure from his team mates over the years (from context he doesnt only mean Bottas, which would be okay-ish) is idiotic rather than controversial, I agree.

aside from deliberately misinterpreting my question, why would it be idiotic? Rosberg never really challenged Hamilton and the only pressure Hamilton experienced was from mechanical failure.

Seems some people are just looking to take offense

#5169 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,576 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:26

Uhm, what exactly did you expect was going to happen to Max when a Mercedes on far younger tyres came and reared its ugly head behind him?

#5170 P123

P123

• 16,118 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:29

Another three or four drivers on the grid as good as Hamilton- I guess he is thinking about himself, Leclerc, Danny Ric, Vettel? So not entirely controversial, just open to debate as to how many and who (but max doesn't name his list).

No pressure from a teammate? That's more ignorant that controversial, but then maybe Max is only thinking of the Bottas years. Hamilton has been in championship fights with three teammates; three of which went down to the final race and another the penultimate race of the season. I think you'd struggle to find a driver with more 'pressure' than that from the other side of the garage. Maybe it's just a back handed slight at Alonso, Rosberg and Button (and Bottas).

#5171 P123

P123

• 16,118 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:34

Uhm, what exactly did you expect was going to happen to Max when a Mercedes on far younger tyres came and reared its ugly head behind him?

Probably the same that would have happened had Merc not pitted Hamilton, given Max's tyres went off the cliff 6 laps from the end.

There was a race too, Max had to be caught (and his tyres had to go off). Unless we imagine it was like a computer game and just reset with Hamilton plum behind Max and Max magically on stuffed tyres.

#5172 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,576 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:50

Probably the same that would have happened had Merc not pitted Hamilton, given Max's tyres went off the cliff 6 laps from the end.

There was a race too, Max had to be caught (and his tyres had to go off). Unless we imagine it was like a computer game and just reset with Hamilton plum behind Max and Max magically on stuffed tyres.

I recognise obviously that Lewis of course had to do the hard work in getting back behind Max. However, Lewis getting past Max with fresher tyres was nothing less than a formality, just as it was five years ago when Dan made short work of Lewis and Fernando. Whether Lewis' tyres would have gone off in the same fashion as Max' had he not stopped.. I guess we'll never know, not that it matters.

#5173 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:14

Another three or four drivers on the grid as good as Hamilton- I guess he is thinking about himself, Leclerc, Danny Ric, Vettel? So not entirely controversial, just open to debate as to how many and who (but max doesn't name his list).

No pressure from a teammate? That's more ignorant that controversial, but then maybe Max is only thinking of the Bottas years. Hamilton has been in championship fights with three teammates; three of which went down to the final race and another the penultimate race of the season. I think you'd struggle to find a driver with more 'pressure' than that from the other side of the garage. Maybe it's just a back handed slight at Alonso, Rosberg and Button (and Bottas).

Silly Season nonsense.  I can see Horner giving Max the script with a "Pop this into your interview, it'll keep RB in the news for the next couple of weeks".  It's pretty much standard fare from RB that we've seen plenty of times over the years.

#5174 OO7

OO7

• 19,242 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:20

I recognise obviously that Lewis of course had to do the hard work in getting back behind Max. However, Lewis getting past Max with fresher tyres was nothing less than a formality, just as it was five years ago when Dan made short work of Lewis and Fernando. Whether Lewis' tyres would have gone off in the same fashion as Max' had he not stopped.. I guess we'll never know, not that it matters.

Lewis almost passed Max on the same tyre (hards) albeit it 6 - 7 laps fresher during the second stint.  It was an impressive display even though he didn't quite pull it off.

Edited by OO7, 19 August 2019 - 14:06.

#5175 JG

JG

• 264 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:56

Thanks for that link regarding Mercedes commitment to F1 until 2025. I also did not believe that they would stay with the new rules coming. 

I find it hard to understand why, since they have everything to lose, if they pull out after next year, they will do so with nothing more to prove and being the most successful team ever in F1.

#5176 BUFFY

BUFFY

• 89 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:59

Considering Vettel & Hamilton had similar strength cars 2017 & 2018, with Hamilton decisively winning both years, i struggle to see  the logic in Vettel being included in that list. As for Danny Ric & Leclerc, good drivers but  neither have been tested  under championship pressure.  Neither has Verstappen himself. So perhaps Verstappen is jumping the gun a bit with these comments.

And the bit about teammate pressure, quite the irony coming from the driver with the least teammate pressure of anyone so far in 2019. Gasly has simply been appalling, a non entity. 

#5177 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:15

I think Max should be wiser and refrain from commenting on other driver’s capabilities and performances. It doesn’t benefit him in any way and it doesn’t look good on him either. Earlier this year he also commented on Vettel being ‘nothing special’. Given the latter I doubt Vettel is among the 3-4 drivers he referred to.

#5178 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,373 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:34

I think Max should be wiser and refrain from commenting on other driver’s capabilities and performances. It doesn’t benefit him in any way and it doesn’t look good on him either. Earlier this year he also commented on Vettel being ‘nothing special’. Given the latter I doubt Vettel is among the 3-4 drivers he referred to.

He definitely means Vettel also

From October 2018

But when asked what made Hamilton so good in 2018, Mexico grand prix winner Verstappen answered: "His car!"

According to Blick newspaper, the 21-year-old continued: "Of course he is extremely good.

"But Vettel could win with his car, Ricciardo could win with his car, I could win with his car."

In August 2018 - two months earlier - he bashed Vettel on Austrian TV for not leading the championship with the quickest car iirc, so seems to be the good old Montoya-like talking down of every driver that has a better car than him.

#5179 BUFFY

BUFFY

• 89 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:39

Yes, i  read that comment from Verstappen, stating Vettel was "nothing special" because Vettel got beat by Ricciardo.  Once again, the irony coming from a driver who Ricciardo outscored in 2 of their 3yrs together

Edited by BUFFY, 19 August 2019 - 11:40.

Advertisement

#5180 baddog

baddog

• 27,361 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:41

Yeah noone ever accused me of being a Lewis fan but damn, he partnered Alonso and Button at his peak, then fought to an actual championship loss (among wins) to Nico. How much pressure do you want?

#5181 AnR

AnR

• 661 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:48

He definitely means Vettel also

From October 2018

In August 2018 - two months earlier - he bashed Vettel on Austrian TV for not leading the championship with the quickest car iirc, so seems to be the good old Montoya-like talking down of every driver that has a better car than him.

In 2013 "Lewis Hamilton warned on Sunday night that the continuing domination of Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel was killing Formula One as a spectacle, adding that he “feels for the fans”

you don't hear about that anymore do you? 

#5182 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,937 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:51

Lewis is dominating, not Mercedes in 2017 and 2018. It's incredible that Vettel lost his lead so late after all his unforced errors.

Lewis' legacy will always be remembered. As a black man in a white sport and as greatness personified.

Edited by SonGoku, 19 August 2019 - 11:52.

#5183 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 1,993 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:54

In 2013 "Lewis Hamilton warned on Sunday night that the continuing domination of Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel was killing Formula One as a spectacle, adding that he “feels for the fans”

you don't hear about that anymore do you?

Well you cant hear it if you dont pay any attention ;)

I cant count the amount of times where Lewis has repeated that he wants a closer fight with Red Bull and Ferrari because its great for the sport.

#5184 AnR

AnR

• 661 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:00

I cant count the amount of times where Lewis has repeated that he wants a closer fight with Red Bull and Ferrari because its great for the sport.

bring me a qoute off him saying that this 6 year long Merc domination is killing the sport, and yes Merc have reputably 2000 F1 employees, not one ; )

#5185 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,373 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:18

bring me a qoute off him saying that this 6 year long Merc domination is killing the sport, and yes Merc have reputably 2000 F1 employees, not one ; )

Lol. Find you first a quote of Hamilton saying that Red Bull's dominance killed the sport, cause he never did. This was the original quote

Personally I feel for the fans because I remember the period of time when Michael Schumacher was winning.

“I remember waking up in the morning to watch the start of the race and then going to sleep, and then waking up when it ended because I already knew what would happen. I am pretty sure a lot of people were doing that today, at least in my family there is [sic].”

Which is similar to what he said this year

“I empathise with fans watching and thinking ‘ugh’ about a race like Sunday’s,” he said. “I race my heart out, but it might not be so exciting to watch.

Not sure what you try to achieve though.

#5186 Hela

Hela

• 596 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:24

Well he does acknowledge the domination may be boring to the fans :)

https://www.autoblog...3Llu5lRJ9oZdufq

https://www.thesun.c...ercedes-bottas/

And from 2017 he advocated he wanted closer racing even though he was winning and hoped the regulations did that 

https://f1i.com/news...17-changes.html

https://www.givemesp...-racing-than-f1

:)

Edited by Hela, 19 August 2019 - 12:29.

#5187 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,131 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:41

The fact Max made the quote after he lost that race means one thing - he gets rattled when he loses a race he is leading. I now think he will collapse under pressure if he is with a WDC winning car. Right now it's easy to shine and feel less pressure from behind but when you are expected to win it becomes a different ball game. He may very well become the Rory Mcllory of F1. (For those who watch golf) 

#5188 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:44

The fact Max made the quote after he lost that race means one thing - he gets rattled when he loses a race he is leading. I now think he will collapse under pressure if he is with a WDC winning car. Right now it's easy to shine and feel less pressure from behind but when you are expected to win it becomes a different ball game. He may very well become the Rory Mcllory of F1. (For those who watch golf)

It was after his win in Austria. Max was not rattled at all when he lost in Hungary, on the contrary, his post race reaction in Hungary got him even some praise from people in here who aren’t his biggest fans.

#5189 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,842 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 14:24

not sure I understand what was so controversial about what Max said?

Nothing controversial, just ignorant. I like Max's belief in himself, it reminds me of Lewis against Alonso. At the time Alonso was not just a 2 x WDC, but one that was widely known as one of the very, very best, a special talent - and in quiet circles - whispered as a better natural talent than Schumacher. Lewis held no such awe of Alonso and went at him from day 1.

I would expect nothing less of Max. But there is NO fine line between belief in oneself and clear disrespect. If Lewis as a rookie having achieved little said that anyone could have won in the '05 and '06 Renault, that's plain disrespectful. Saying that a quarter of the grid is as good as Alonso, is disrespectful. Saying that he thinks he can take the fight to Alonso, is confidence.

I guess when one is young, months seem like years and things that have happened some months back are easily forgotten. However it was just over 12 months ago, that in the first six races of the 2018 season Max had been involved in at least one incident a race. At least one incident. In each race. Of the first six races. Has he improved since then? Definitely, and kudos to him. Some consistent performances, good decision making, 2 wins. Superb. But I'll hold off on the complete driver bullsh*t conclusions for now given he's not under pressure, not in a WDC fight, and has a patsy team mate. First 6 races of 2018, drove like a rank amateur under pressure from Dan. Then he got the car figured out, put away Dan, and drove great when that pressure wasn't there.

I'm equally convinced that while he has immense natural talent, he's far from the polished product he wishes to believe he is and when he's in a close championship fight with other cars challenging and a strong team mate, the cracks will show. This is part of the Red Bull problem and same afflicted Vettel. They protect their No.1 drivers, who they develop, to such an extent feeding them copies loads of BS that the driver thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. Not hard to see when its Marko behind much of that. Then they eventually run into some real completion, like Vettel did and the house of mirrors comes crashing down.

Edited by gillesfan76, 19 August 2019 - 14:29.

#5190 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,361 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 14:29

He's said it a lot but do we believe it?  I'm firmly on the fence tbh

#5191 Hela

Hela

• 596 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 14:37

He's said it a lot but do we I believe it?  I'm firmly on the fence tbh

Fixed :)

Edited by Hela, 19 August 2019 - 14:37.

#5192 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,111 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 14:38

He's said it a lot but do we believe it? I'm firmly on the fence tbh

Yes because I think he relishes the fight for wins. This is when Lewis is at his best. I expect it would be the same for most drivers.

Edited by monolulu, 19 August 2019 - 14:38.

#5193 jjcale

jjcale

• 11,489 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 14:40

Let him keep talking ... he is just putting pressure on himself. 

A big chunk of the F1 media is British .... he will be getting annoying questions on these comments for months to come. 

I like MV as a driver ... but otherwise he has too much of his Dad's personality for my liking.

#5194 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 1,993 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 14:41

I think you could see with Ferrari in 2017 and 2018 and now with Red Bull in Hungary 2019 how much Lewis relishes to have tough competition and beat them.

It's a lot more enjoyable to do that, as a team effort, than beating only your teammate. I firmly believe he means what he says. 

#5195 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 15:20

What you would expect from a driver starting from pole on the best strategy is to make that strategy work. Instead of managing the race, he was somehow more concerned with matching or even surpassing Lewis' laptimes on 23 laps older, harder tyres despite being up to 20 seconds ahead, killing those tyres and even being unable to finish the race on them. And that on a track where it's as hard to overtake as Hungary.

#5196 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,842 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 15:34

I don't think that Lewis is pretending about that for one moment. He's a strange man in many ways, he's very reactionary and he lives for the moment. "The best win", "the hardest race", "the best crowd" (ok I think 'the best crowd' is BS most of the time), "the best lap". When he feels something strong in that moment, it overrides his memory. He's not exactly considered in his replies.

So coming back to the "I want competition to be closer", yes I think he truly does feel that. He truly believes he is the best and he wants to fight as he believes he will beat and come out on top.

Does he want close competition from other teams and also have a very strong team mate stealing points off him, while the competition has a driver that is only a support act? No of course not. When he is under pressure is he going to moan and whine on the radio when things aren't going according to plan? Of course he is. But all the same I think he truly believes he wants the competition, but he also wants the championships. In his mind, those are not two separate things because he's the best.

#5197 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,954 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 16:13

like MV as a driver ... but otherwise he has too much of his Dad's personality for my liking.

Nah, don’t think he’s like Jos. To be honoust, I find that in most interviews he comes across as a reasonable, likeable guy. He also seems to get along well with most of the grid and reporters as well, so don’t think he’s as an a$$hole as some make of him here. He just should learn to not talk too much about other drivers, think he does that a little to often.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 19 August 2019 - 16:14.

#5198 P123

P123

• 16,118 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 16:59

Lol. Find you first a quote of Hamilton saying that Red Bull's dominance killed the sport, cause he never did. This was the original quote

Which is similar to what he said this year

Not sure what you try to achieve though.

Well he does acknowledge the domination may be boring to the fans :)

https://www.autoblog...3Llu5lRJ9oZdufq

https://www.thesun.c...ercedes-bottas/

And from 2017 he advocated he wanted closer racing even though he was winning and hoped the regulations did that 

https://f1i.com/news...17-changes.html

https://www.givemesp...-racing-than-f1

:)

I eagerly await AnR humble pie.... or maybe not. :)

I never knew a paraphrased opinion of a driver would still rankle all these years later.

He should maybe listen more to what Hamilton says..... it's generally in line with much of the gripes in here about the 'state of the sport'....

#5199 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,604 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 17:07

Nah, don’t think he’s like Jos. To be honoust, I find that in most interviews he comes across as a reasonable, likeable guy. He also seems to get along well with most of the grid and reporters as well, so don’t think he’s as an a$$hole as some make of him here. He just should learn to not talk too much about other drivers, think he does that a little to often.

The difficulty is that he is getting smoke blown up his ass by Horner and Marko and probably his Dad. Let alone the press.

It must be hard to keep feet on the ground but i think Max should be given the benefit of the doubt. He will beat a lot of drivers including lewis but Lewis and seb have shown they can win multiple championships. He still has to prove that.

Advertisement

#5200 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,346 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 17:32

I don't think there is any doubt that Max has the skills to take the fight to Lewis during races and I also feel he has the ability to fight with Lewis over the course of a season in a title fight, ultimately though I feel Lewis would win that battle but for no other reason than his skills have been put to the test during multiple WDC battles against some of the best drivers the sport has had to offer and he has come out on top and also came up short. His quality is a known quantity. I seriously hope we have a second half of the season where the Merc and RBR are on equal terms and Lewis beats Max (crushes him actually) if only to cement his legacy (not that it is needed) and show those Max fans.