Photo
* * * - - 11 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
8065 replies to this topic

#6051 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,859 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 14:28

A resurgent Bottas qualifying better than Hamilton alongside an improving Ferrari and Redbull taking polls and wins can rapidly turn the final races from Mercedes high points scores into mediocre 3rd and 4th places - closing up Verstappen and potentially others in the points dramatically.  Throw in a DNF or two for Hamilton... The season is far from over, and it won't take much to create some dangerous situations for Mercedes in the championships.  

So, do Mercedes protect the championships in Hamiltons favour by throwing Bottas under a bus and have him allow Hamilton through at every opportunity, or do they let him race for points?

7 races left. So Valtteri can win every remaining race this season while Lewis finishes 3rd in every race, and Valtteri would still only tie with Lewis for the driver's championship.

But sure, if Lewis suffers 2 DNFs while Valtteri suffers none, and if Valtteri turns into God, then yah he can win the driver's championship.

350.png

Advertisement

#6052 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,859 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 14:35

I think, that when Ferrari will have a car which is a bit more consistent and less peaky... things will change quite drastically, if Ferrari manages to compete for race wins at each race, only having Lewis won't be enough.

He is consistent but he is consistent while the competition is lacking a proper car... If Ferrari would have had a Charles (instead of the inconsistent Kimi) next to Seb in 2017/2018 are u sure things wouldn't have pan out differently?

Now it remains to be seen if Ferrari manages that next year or not but that's my view on it.

No. He is consistent, period.

He was consistent in 2012, when he was still not the complete product. He was consistent in 2009 when he had a dog. He's been consistent in every year except for 2011. Lewis is not perfect, he makes mistakes, but less than others. In terms of consistency performing at a very high level, there are no safer pairs of hands than Alonso and Lewis.

And what are you talking about "while the competition is lacking a proper car"? Are you telling me Rosberg did not have a proper car 2014 - 2016? He had better than the proper car, he had the same damn car.

#6053 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 376 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 14:56

Yeah, in 2014/15/16/17/18 he faced off against someone with literally an equal car or slightly worse in 17 and possible slightly better in 18. How it can be said he is only consistent when his opponent lacks a proper car is absurd and not backed by any evidence whatsoever.

#6054 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 1,659 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 23:26

Yeah, in 2014/15/16/17/18 he faced off against someone with literally an equal car or slightly worse in 17 and possible slightly better in 18. How it can be said he is only consistent when his opponent lacks a proper car is absurd and not backed by any evidence whatsoever.

#TyreDestroyer ;)

#6055 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,511 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 23:45

A resurgent Bottas qualifying better than Hamilton alongside an improving Ferrari and Redbull taking polls and wins can rapidly turn the final races from Mercedes high points scores into mediocre 3rd and 4th places - closing up Verstappen and potentially others in the points dramatically.  Throw in a DNF or two for Hamilton... The season is far from over, and it won't take much to create some dangerous situations for Mercedes in the championships.  

So, do Mercedes protect the championships in Hamiltons favour by throwing Bottas under a bus and have him allow Hamilton through at every opportunity, or do they let him race for points?

there are so many things to happen at once....2 reliable Ferraris in the fight for wins. At their strongest possible tracks Lewis gave them a run for their money and finished 2nd and 3rd. Not bad for the weakest areas. Ferrari and RedBull mixing it with Mercedes will be more work for Bottas to do, as he seems to always lack some race pace. Strong qualifier but not so strong of a racer. 

Throw in a DNF or to for Lewis yeah...but then again throw in one for Bottas and it's exactly game over. 

Mercedes can only lose this with Lewis only by a lot of incompetence or  A LOT of misfortune. Somehow this team has maximized or close to maximized opportunities. Their operation runs a lot smoother than Ferrari's or Red Bull's. Thinking they can somehow start being incredibly stupid with the other ones being extremely smart all of a sudden is a stretch.

#6056 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,511 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 23:48

Not sure why you rate Lewis so much higher than Seb & Leclerc... He basically got perfect or almost perfect cars for his whole Merc career, if Ferrari would finally manage to field a faster car, both of them will put a lot of pressure on Lewis... and that should go in favor of Ferrari.

did you miss 2018? Ferrari had a monster of a car. Vettel should have at least made Lewis run hard for his money. 

Somehow, when the pressure mounted he was nowhere. It's not the car that crashed in Germany...nor spun in Monza or Suzuka. Lewis didn't put a wheel wrong while Seb threw it away.

#6057 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:53

I guess you've probably seen the comments from Wolff and Lewis about Lewis potentially driving in Formula E once his F1 career is over. 

How awesome would it be, to have the priviledge of seeing Lewis continuing to compete, maybe for Mercedes, even after F1? 

I could totally see him do it. Very relaxed schedule, good PR, and the opportunity to become the first and only F1/FE champion.

Anyway it's just a dream right now and probably not more than a throwaway comment at this point, but it makes me sleep better to think that even once he retires from F1, there could still be a future in racing for him, one that makes sense!

#6058 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,929 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:19

Pretty sure that's just PR talk.

If Hamilton ends up racing post-F1 it will be only something sporadically for fun. He himself said this.

#6059 baddog

baddog

• 27,548 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:36

Pretty sure that's just PR talk.

If Hamilton ends up racing post-F1 it will be only something sporadically for fun. He himself said this.

Yeah I don't see someone of his standing ever seriously doing another series. I mean it could happen but seems unlikely.

Advertisement

#6060 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,524 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:16

What a lap by Lewis, lap of the day. :up:

Shame Bottas didn't get P3 though, now Lewis finds himself in a Ferrari-sandwich.

#6061 kernel

kernel

• 4,228 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:26

What a lap by Lewis, lap of the day. :up:

Shame Bottas didn't get P3 though, now Lewis finds himself in a Ferrari-sandwich.

BOT useless as usual around SIN. 7 off tenths in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

The only advantage starting from 2nd is HAM is on the inside. So if he gets a good launch, he could potentially pass LEC at T1 and shove him wide through T2.

Edited by kernel, 21 September 2019 - 14:27.

#6062 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,413 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:28

Tremendous lap by Lewis, really dragging the car around.

Bottas.. oh dear,  Toto why do you have this guy again for next year?

#6063 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,524 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:29

BOT useless as usual around SIN. 7 off tenths in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

The only advantage starting from 2nd is HAM is on the inside. So if he gets a good launch, he could potentially pass LEC at T1 and shove him wide through T2.

But then there's a very long straight after T4 and we all remember what happened last year on lap one between Vettel and Max. He could still be in P3 by T6.

#6064 kernel

kernel

• 4,228 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:33

But then there's a very long straight after T4 and we all remember what happened last year on lap one between Vettel and Max. He could still be in P3 by T6.

True, but the straight is very short and there is no DRS. HAM could just fiercely protect the inside and run LEC wide at T6.

#6065 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,159 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:37

Leclerc put a end to all the Lewis to Ferrari talk. 

#6066 kernel

kernel

• 4,228 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:41

Leclerc put a end to all the Lewis to Ferrari talk. 

What did he say?

#6067 Coral

Coral

• 4,334 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:47

Oh, I would still like to see Lewis at Ferrari. I mean he is likely to have six WDCs by the end of this season, what would he have to lose? Leclerc is special yes but I reckon Lewis could have some fun racing against him. Couple of years at Ferrari and then retirement. Don't know if it will ever happen though.

Bottas...oh dear. Qualifying is his strength and he is even rubbish at that now. If there is a three-way battle for the WCC next year Mercedes are in trouble.

#6068 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,318 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:47

What did he say?

He said* "Vettel is the perfect team mate, there's no politics, and we get on well"**

*Not really
**I'm faster than Vettel, please dont get Leuwis in the car.

#6069 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,421 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:52

Lewis keeping himself in it as everything else goes to pot, as per usual. This guy is like the Terminator ffs.

Great lap. Wonder if he will be extra aggressive vs Leclerc after Monza. 

Leclerc shouldn't have much to fear up against Lewis as teammates tbh. But that's my opinion.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 21 September 2019 - 15:24.

#6070 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,846 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:55

Lewis keeping himself in it as everything else goes to pot, as per usual. This guy is like the Terminator ffs.

Leclerc shouldn't have much to fear up against Lewis tbh. But that's my opinion.

I feel like Hamilton's Monza comments were a bit of an empty threat. He's still thinking about the championship and won't do anything crazy until he's secured it. Leclerc has got absolutely nothing to lose tommorow. He won Monza, in a Ferrari, after 10 years...he doesn't have to finish another race this season lol.

Edited by ARTGP, 21 September 2019 - 14:56.

#6071 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 14:59

bottas sees to be blaming lewis for his poor lap.

#6072 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,929 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:00

bottas sees to be blaming lewis for his poor lap.

He had a personal best in S1 and then screwed up S2. Not sure how Hamilton overtaking him on the outlap should have a bigger impact on S2 than on S1.

#6073 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 2,108 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:04

He had a personal best in S1 and then screwed up S2. Not sure how Hamilton overtaking him on the outlap should have a bigger impact on S2 than on S1.

lool Hes got to find an excuse somewhere

#6074 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,454 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:06

7 races left. So Valtteri can win every remaining race this season while Lewis finishes 3rd in every race, and Valtteri would still only tie with Lewis for the driver's championship.

7 races is 70 points. Lewis is currently 63 ahead with a possibility of that being 61. Not quite but nearly.  ;)

#6075 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,535 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:08

What did I say about Japan WDC ... Bottas is staring at P5 maybe P6 tomorrow. Hamilton could be nearly 80pts to the good.

#6076 robefc

robefc

• 13,021 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:14

It’s pretty out of order though, no?

#6077 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,929 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:17

Not really.

I just saw the outlap, Bottas was dead slow. Watch yourself https://gifyu.com/image/hJP1

Bonnington even told Hamilton that S3 is all clear, that's how slow Bottas ended up to be.

#6078 MinardiCrashDummy

MinardiCrashDummy

• 402 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:20

Leclerc might be closer soon.

#6079 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,859 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:25

Leclerc shouldn't have much to fear up against Lewis tbh. But that's my opinion.

I thought Lewis said that he would only be more aggressive if the championship was already done. Charles is going to go all out for the win and he's going to know that Lewis won't risk it, especially at unforgiving Singapore.

7 races is 70 points. Lewis is currently 63 ahead with a possibility of that being 61. Not quite but nearly.  ;)

Sorry my bad, you're quite right.

Advertisement

#6080 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,846 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:27

It's good that none of the top 3 have the driver parity to really lockout the front row anymore. Keeps it more interesting when good driving in a slightly slower car on any given day can make a difference. 

In the case of Bottas, and Albon, it favors Formula 1 to remain this way. Not as clear what's going on at Ferrari and whether Vettel's skills are declining.

Edited by ARTGP, 21 September 2019 - 15:27.

#6081 robefc

robefc

• 13,021 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:28

Not really.
I just saw the outlap, Bottas was dead slow. Watch yourself https://gifyu.com/image/hJP1
Bonnington even told Hamilton that S3 is all clear, that's how slow Bottas ended up to be.

Being that slow’s not unusual but the difference in pace is.

Anyway don’t think bottas can have any complaints as Lewis long gone.

#6082 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,298 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:30

There's also the fastest lap point to consider.

#6083 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,929 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 15:36

Being that slow’s not unusual but the difference in pace is.

Anyway don’t think bottas can have any complaints as Lewis long gone.

Being that slow is only normal if you have cars ahead of you, which Bottas didnt had. It made no sense for him to crawl around at that point, since this is exactly bringing the tyres out of the window.

If I wouldnt know any better one would think that he tried to screw Hamilton's lap.

#6084 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,230 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:09

Bottas wasn't very happy : https://streamable.com/d1y6n

#6085 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,929 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:16

I change my mind.

Hamilton clearly is responsible for Bottas lap.

I mean if you are thinking about that all lap, of course you will screw up  :rotfl: 

Good to hear that we can add another thing on the list of excuses for this year  :wave:

Edited by Marklar, 21 September 2019 - 16:16.

#6086 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,594 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:22

IMO Lewis has to stamp his authority over the young guns. He should give no quarter to Charles this time around.

His WDC lead is big enough, he can afford to play more rough.

Not saying he needs to crash but no need to be very cautious either.  

#6087 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 976 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:22

Anyone noticed Lewis' new hairstyle? Clearly it made the difference today (althout not enough for Pole!). Bottas needs to come up with something better than that beard if he wants to beat his team mate! A punk haircut maybe? 

Edited by Ramon69, 21 September 2019 - 16:23.

#6088 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 2,108 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:24

what did he say ? couldn't make it out.

#6089 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 376 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:25

IMO Lewis has to stamp his authority over the young guns. He should give no quarter to Charles this time around.

Nah Lewis just needs to hoover up points. The only stamp of authority he needs is the one that comes with the WDC.

#6090 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 21,931 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:26

I can’t work out what Bottas says. I think it’s «fcuking» and then perhaps «Lewis» given I’ve learnt he wasn’t happy with him. Somehow.

#6091 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,929 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:26

what did he say ? couldn't make it out.

****ing Shithead

#6092 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 21,931 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:27

****ing Shithead

Wow, that’s embarassing for him.

#6093 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,846 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:27

There aren't escape roads and there is no run off in Singapore. Just walls and dead ends. There is very little you can do that doesn't involve crashing to overtake here.

Not when you are surrounded by other "alpha" drivers.

Edited by ARTGP, 21 September 2019 - 16:28.

#6094 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,594 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:28

Nah Lewis just needs to hoover up points. The only stamp of authority he needs is the one that comes with the WDC.

He already has 5 titles and they have none so it's not about that. And neither Max nor Charles have been his title contenders this season.

It's about the authority on track. It's a psychological fight as well.

#6095 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,594 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:30

There aren't escape roads and there is no run off in Singapore. Just walls and dead ends. There is very little you can do that doesn't involve crashing to overtake here.

Not when you are surrounded by other "alpha" drivers.

Good point but that used to be the norm a while ago. And drivers still did overtake. 

#6096 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,697 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:31

If I wouldnt know any better one would think that he tried to screw Hamilton's lap.

Looks like that and he's pissed it didn't work

#6097 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 376 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:33

He already has 5 titles and they have none so it's not about that. And neither Max nor Charles have been his title contenders this season.

It's about the authority on track. It's a psychological fight as well.

The only way Lewis loses this title is through hair brained attempts at winning a "psychological" battle on track which run the risk of DNFs.

Lewis knows how to play the percentages better than anyone these days.

#6098 P123

P123

• 16,163 posts

I'd say after the utter idiocy of Spa, which nearly caused a crash, absolutely not.

#6099 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,846 posts

Good point but that used to be the norm a while ago. And drivers still did overtake. 

But look at who was doing the overtaking and who was being overtaken in these past races in singapore.

Guys like Hamilton, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Vettel are not being overtaken in Singapore in the highlight reels. There's a reason for that... And those are the types of characters that Hamilton is racing tomorrow. Guys who defend on the limit, and beyond (Charles, Verstappen, Vettel).

Edited by ARTGP, 21 September 2019 - 16:35.

Advertisement

#6100 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,241 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:36

With a resurgent Ferrari Lewis can’t afford dnf’s. On this circuit a “shove” like Monza could have different consequences.

Yeah, I find the general push for Hamilton to lower his standards to others’ levels depressing. If it happens, it’s just one more wrong turn for the sport and one more thing to correct and get back on track.