Photo
* * * - - 12 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
8095 replies to this topic

#6101 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,600 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:39

The only way Lewis loses this title is through hair brained attempts at winning a "psychological" battle on track which run the risk of DNFs.

Lewis knows how to play the percentages better than anyone these days.

Psychological battles are still important, no matter what you think. 

Look at Hungary, I think Lewis drove more determined as he wanted to prove that Germany was a fluke and also give Max a lesson.

He used to do that to Nico as well.

Edited by Claudius, 21 September 2019 - 16:40.

Advertisement

#6102 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 376 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:42

Psychological battles are still important, no matter what you think. 

Look at Hungary, I think Lewis drove more determined as he wanted to prove that Germany was a fluke and also give Max a lesson.

He used to do that to Nico as well.

No one is saying they are not important. Just that it's not as important as securing the title. Simple.

#6103 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 2,108 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:42

****ing Shithead

lool wow

#6104 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,877 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:44

Not really.

I just saw the outlap, Bottas was dead slow. Watch yourself https://gifyu.com/image/hJP1

Bonnington even told Hamilton that S3 is all clear, that's how slow Bottas ended up to be.

How on earth is Valtteri claiming Lewis stuffed up his lap? It's not like Valtteri was either in Lewis' dirty air or had to abandon his own tyre prep to create a gap. Lewis overtook him and disappeared ahead.

#6105 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,303 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:46

How on earth is Valtteri claiming Lewis stuffed up his lap? It's not like Valtteri was either in Lewis' dirty air or had to abandon his own tyre prep to create a gap. Lewis overtook him and disappeared ahead.

Valterri was trying to screw Lewis lap by driving so slowly his outlap. Really poor.

#6106 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,152 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:48

Lewis doesn't need to screw Bottas lap, he is dead slow, poor excuse from him.

#6107 Coral

Coral

• 4,343 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:49

Not really.

I just saw the outlap, Bottas was dead slow. Watch yourself https://gifyu.com/image/hJP1

Bonnington even told Hamilton that S3 is all clear, that's how slow Bottas ended up to be.

Isn't he always?  ;)  :p

#6108 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,600 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:50

No one is saying they are not important. Just that it's not as important as securing the title. Simple.

Yes but he has the title almost sewn up. His only real threat is Bottas and he ain't going to beat Lewis.

So he has a little more room to adress other things. But let's see how Lewis will tackle things tomorrow.

#6109 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,623 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:51

Nobody remembering Baku Q3 shenanigans? :stoned:

#6110 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,600 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:52

Yeah, I find the general push for Hamilton to lower his standards to others’ levels depressing. If it happens, it’s just one more wrong turn for the sport and one more thing to correct and get back on track.

I think you are misunderstanding the point. It's not about Lewis "lowering" his standards, it's about not neccessarily backing off when pushed around.

#6111 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,297 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:57

I think you are misunderstanding the point. It's not about Lewis "lowering" his standards, it's about not neccessarily backing off when pushed around.

Yes, I saw your point and didn’t agree with it at all. Hamilton has nothing to prove.and tbh, this framing just reads a bit insecure to me. He may well join in because if everyone else drops their standards but that’s not the same as doing so because oh no otherwise some quick kid will boss him around.

#6112 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,600 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 16:59

Yes, I saw your point and didn’t agree with it at all. Hamilton has nothing to prove.and tbh, this framing just reads a bit insecure to me. He may well join in because if everyone else drops their standards but that’s not the same as doing so because oh no otherwise some quick kid will boss him around.

Ok, each to their own I guess.

#6113 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 634 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 17:11

We really should set up a Bottas excuses bull**** bingo for next year.

This is very amusing

Edited by Silberpfeil, 21 September 2019 - 17:11.

#6114 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,545 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 17:11

I change my mind.

Hamilton clearly is responsible for Bottas lap.

I mean if you are thinking about that all lap, of course you will screw up  :rotfl: 

Good to hear that we can add another thing on the list of excuses for this year  :wave:

ee1uh__wkaiqvjnfkj34.jpg

;)

#6115 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 2,189 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 17:19

You're right, he has absolutely nothing to prove, but that doesn't mean he lets himself get shoved off the track, if this is the new racing etiquette then he has to adjust his approach. 

#6116 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,143 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 17:39

You're right, he has absolutely nothing to prove, but that doesn't mean he lets himself get shoved off the track, if this is the new racing etiquette then he has to adjust his approach.

I think Lewis is learning about Max & Leclerc in his wheel to wheel racing & is storing away that knowledge for use in the future, so that, rather than lowering his standards he’s adding more strings to his bow.

#6117 peroa

peroa

• 10,436 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 17:47

Not really.

I just saw the outlap, Bottas was dead slow. Watch yourself https://gifyu.com/image/hJP1

That is actually pretty funny, BOT cooling his tyres and HAM just drives around. Reminded me of this incident:
https://images.app.g...su5PotNeyB1BAs7

#6118 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,463 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 17:49

Bottas wasn't very happy : https://streamable.com/d1y6n

What is he saying? Unintelligible to me.

#6119 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,463 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 17:52

****ing Shithead

I can hear it now, what an absolute tool.

Advertisement

#6120 Massa

Massa

• 7,614 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 17:59

Not really.

I just saw the outlap, Bottas was dead slow. Watch yourself https://gifyu.com/image/hJP1

Yes but there is a gentleman agreement that you don't overtake before the last corner. Vettel did that a few times and was criticized in this forum for that.

#6121 OO7

OO7

• 19,352 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 19:07

what did he say ? couldn't make it out.

****ing Shithead

Sounded to me like "F^cking shoot him".

#6122 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,152 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 19:24

Funny, when Bottas ruined Lewis pole lap in Baku it was Lewis' own fault and he should have done better. Time to be a little bit more self-critical BOT.

#6123 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,432 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 19:51

Bottachello proper mad  :lol:  

#6124 Kev00

Kev00

• 3,589 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 20:46

https://streamable.com/sv86u

I don’t understand how people are defending Hamilton and some people even blaming Bottas for trying to impede Hamilton. Bottas was driving as you’d expect and it was a **** move for Lewis to pull.

#6125 paipa

paipa

• 609 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 20:49

Nice one from Valtteri. 7 tenths off and he has the cheek to blame it on Hamilton, calling him a f**king shithead to add. After three full years without a single incident or rough play between them the first thing he assumes is that it must have happened because Lewis is such a f**king shithead. Classy.

This guy is repressed frustration personified. Interesting to see it bubble up from time to time.

#6126 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,243 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 20:57

Bottas v2.0 

https://streamable.com/ty3m2

Here's Bottas full lap including the overtake from Hamilton.

https://streamable.com/y6bix

Bottas carried that annoyance for a full lap, it must have affected his qualifying attempt. 

Edited by Ellios, 21 September 2019 - 21:04.

#6127 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,152 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 20:58

Nice one from Valtteri. 7 tenths off and he has the cheek to blame it on Hamilton, calling him a f**king shithead to add. After three full years without a single incident or rough play between them the first thing he assumes is that it must have happened because Lewis is such a f**king shithead. Classy.

This guy is repressed frustration personified. Interesting to see it bubble up from time to time.

I guess he doesn't realise that the only reason he is still in that seat is because of Hamilton.

Edited by SonGoku, 21 September 2019 - 20:58.

#6128 Marklar

Marklar

• 35,136 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 21:02

I don’t understand how people are defending Hamilton and some people even blaming Bottas for trying to impede Hamilton. Bottas was driving as you’d expect and it was a **** move for Lewis to pull.

Mercedes determined that they were too slow in their outlaps after the first Q3 run. Bottas nearly drove as slow again and slowed down for no apparent reason although his engineer told him that his gap to Albon is fine (talking about **** moves), Hamilton should have stayed behind him, then Mercedes would have qualified P4-5. Right, that sounds reasonable  :cat:

Edit: at most you can blame the team. Hamilton's engineer told him that S3 is free, while Bottas' engineer didnt warn him that Hamilton is coming. By the time Hamilton saw Bottas he either has to slam on the brakes and ruin his lap or get on with this. He made the right decision, especially since I doubt that he really compromised Bottas: he didnt even had to slow down for Hamilton, that's how the delta was.

Edited by Marklar, 21 September 2019 - 21:10.

#6129 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,749 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 21:25

Not the best qualifying for Valtteri result vice, but **** happens. 

Funny thing is how the Lewis fanboy armada is lynching Valtteri here. The move from Lewis was very the smoothest between team mates, and it most likely broke Valtteri's concentration just when he was going to start the last qualifying lap.

And some here are deliberately putting words to Valtteri's mouth about that comment after the lap, and it is not "F****** shithead" it was "F***** shitlap" which it in the end was...

Some of the comments here today about Bottas are quite juvenile, but maybe its just teenage testosterone hype...

Edited by Tomerell, 21 September 2019 - 21:28.

#6130 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,749 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 21:28

I guess he doesn't realise that the only reason he is still in that seat is because of Hamilton.

The only reason he is still in that seat is that he has done good enough job to keep the seat, no matter if you like it or not...

#6131 P123

P123

• 16,179 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 21:58

Hamilton got on with it, as he should have done in Spa and Baku. You claim driving as expected... he's not even driving as he himself stated was the best way:

Bottas reveals: 'We have to start as fast as possible so that the front tires are in the window right at the beginning of the lap. For me it only worked in Q1 and in the first attempt in Q2.'

Well obviously not if you enter and exit the penultimate corner before a near flat out run to the line in 1st gear... he claimed there was a Red Bull "dawdling" in front of him, yet he is told by his own pitwall "Albon 4.3s ahead we are plenty safe" just before he slows to 1st gear. Maybe VB wanted a bit more time, but he's going against what he knows is the best way of setting up to start the lap. You can't actually see Albon in the footage. He's also slowed on the exit of a corner, which is pretty much blind going in, so Hamilton had a small window of time to decide whether to jump on the brakes or get on with it. Likely started the lap with slightly dirty tyres due to it. Bottas still did his fastest 1st sector, and ballsed up his mid-sector. Maybe it messed with his head. Fortunately for Hamilton his teammate playing funny buggers in the final sector (not for the first time) didn't mess with his.

#6132 uraharakisuke

uraharakisuke

• 376 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 22:01

Funny thing is how the Lewis fanboy armada is lynching Valtteri here. The move from Lewis was very the smoothest between team mates, and it most likely broke Valtteri's concentration just when he was going to start the last qualifying lap.

And some here are deliberately putting words to Valtteri's mouth about that comment after the lap, and it is not "F****** shithead" it was "F***** shitlap" which it in the end was...

Some of the comments here today about Bottas are quite juvenile, but maybe its just teenage testosterone hype...

Bit dramatic, mate.

#6133 Lights

Lights

• 16,749 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 22:05

Normally I find these penultimate corner overtakes in qualifying very douchy, but I don't understand what Bottas was doing there. He had the gap, just go. Now he risked ruining both his and his teammates lap had they got more in each other's way.

#6134 P123

P123

• 16,179 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 22:06

States "Lewis fanboy armada", then goes on to chastise others for juvenile commentary. I guess all that teenage testosterone knocks out any sort of self-awareness.

#6135 Massa

Massa

• 7,614 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 22:11

Bottas know better than us the best way to start the lap, and he have the tyres temp in front of him on his steering wheel. So if he was that slow at that point of the track it just mean he could afford it, tyres temp wise.

There is a clear gentleman agreement between drivers about that, Hamilton didn't respect that.

I don't understand why some are founding excuse for Hamilton. When Vettel used to do this he was criticized it should be the same for Hamilton.

Personally, If you are driving that slow in a outlap, it's too bad for you if someone overtake you, BUT, as soon as there is an agreement to not overtake at the end of a outlap and you agree with it, you should not overtake. That's why I'm saying Hamilton didn't have to overtake Bottas.

#6136 Marklar

Marklar

• 35,136 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 22:21

Bottas know better than us the best way to start the lap, and he have the tyres temp in front of him on his steering wheel. So if he was that slow at that point of the track it just mean he could afford it, tyres temp wise.

There is a clear gentleman agreement between drivers about that, Hamilton didn't respect that.

I don't understand why some are founding excuse for Hamilton. When Vettel used to do this he was criticized it should be the same for Hamilton.

Personally, If you are driving that slow in a outlap, it's too bad for you if someone overtake you, BUT, as soon as there is an agreement to not overtake at the end of a outlap and you agree with it, you should not overtake. That's why I'm saying Hamilton didn't have to overtake Bottas.

What's your obsession with Vettel? He also overtook his overly slow team mate against instructions in Monza and who was the bad guy again? Not Vettel.

Sure, Hamilton should have slamed the brakes after his engineer told him that he can push through S3. Absolutely. It almost ended in a crash in Spa too, so why not trying it again?!

It's almost like people want him to take unreasonable actions, so that Ferrari can have their front-row lockout.

Edited by Marklar, 21 September 2019 - 22:24.

#6137 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 3,680 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 22:23

Lol steady on old chap. I'm not sure where all this drama and fallout is coming from. Nobody else seems care out side this thread.

:rotfl:

#6138 RekF1

RekF1

• 550 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 22:25

I don't think he's calling Lewis a shithead. Maybe himself?. He seems angry with a poor lap. Either way, there's no indication that Lewis ****ed him on purpose. Also, Ferrari are resurgent at the moment, and one or two dnf's from Lewis would make them contenders. He's been well off Lewis pace most of the year, but no more than today, so hopefully someone will have a word with him. I still like the guy tho.

#6139 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,691 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 00:57

I don't like those jumps too, but the guy ahead should play it smater.

Bottas all this year, when ahead of Lewis, is prepping his lap like whatever he wants,,, maybe to show his 2.0 update and Lewis already got a bad deal of it sometime.

So, i understand why Lewis did go for it, Singapore is all about tyre prepping, he wouldn't risk his lap again by a bad or stupid display of his beloved team-mate.

Advertisement

#6140 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:58

Mercedes determined that they were too slow in their outlaps after the first Q3 run. Bottas nearly drove as slow again and slowed down for no apparent reason although his engineer told him that his gap to Albon is fine (talking about **** moves), Hamilton should have stayed behind him, then Mercedes would have qualified P4-5. Right, that sounds reasonable  :cat:

Edit: at most you can blame the team. Hamilton's engineer told him that S3 is free, while Bottas' engineer didnt warn him that Hamilton is coming. By the time Hamilton saw Bottas he either has to slam on the brakes and ruin his lap or get on with this. He made the right decision, especially since I doubt that he really compromised Bottas: he didnt even had to slow down for Hamilton, that's how the delta was.

Hamilton got on with it, as he should have done in Spa and Baku. You claim driving as expected... he's not even driving as he himself stated was the best way:

Well obviously not if you enter and exit the penultimate corner before a near flat out run to the line in 1st gear... he claimed there was a Red Bull "dawdling" in front of him, yet he is told by his own pitwall "Albon 4.3s ahead we are plenty safe" just before he slows to 1st gear. Maybe VB wanted a bit more time, but he's going against what he knows is the best way of setting up to start the lap. You can't actually see Albon in the footage. He's also slowed on the exit of a corner, which is pretty much blind going in, so Hamilton had a small window of time to decide whether to jump on the brakes or get on with it. Likely started the lap with slightly dirty tyres due to it. Bottas still did his fastest 1st sector, and ballsed up his mid-sector. Maybe it messed with his head. Fortunately for Hamilton his teammate playing funny buggers in the final sector (not for the first time) didn't mess with his.

You don't seem to have understood the two well explained posts above. You're making a circular argument that because a driver is a professional F1 driver, that means that whatever that driver does must be correct since a professional F1 driver should know better. Watching the footage from both cars, listening to radio from both cars, watching the F1 lap graphic showing all the cars' positions as they go around, and finally Valtteri's own statement on how to best prepare a lap, it's very clear that at best Valtteri stuffed up, at worst he was trying to stuff Lewis' lap up. Most likely the former.

Your last paragraph is strange too where you first say that if one is driving that slow, then too bad if they are overtaken (which is what happened) but you go on to contradict yourself that somehow an agreement to not overtake overrides that. Most agreements have a set of conditions that both parties to the agreement have obligations to. If one of them, Valtteri in this case, doesn't follow his part by driving that slow then that agreement is null and void.

Edited by gillesfan76, 22 September 2019 - 02:59.

#6141 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:25

It's 10-5 now, so 16-5 is still a possibility for the qualifying head-to-head!  :up:

#6142 search

search

• 445 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:14

same as a 10-11. Sochi will probably go to Bottas, to begin with

#6143 CL16

CL16

• 1,249 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:45

Bottas knew what he was doing, better him and Hamilton being p4/5 then Hamilton on front row and him in 5th.

He just couldn’t pull it off like Rosberg used to.

#6144 Marklar

Marklar

• 35,136 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:44

same as a 10-11. Sochi will probably go to Bottas, to begin with

Until he spun Hamilton looked quicker last year, and this season neither drivers previous good tracks seems to reflect their strength (e.g. Bottas outqualified Hamilton in Silverstone, Hamilton outqualified Bottas in Spielberg).

Bottas knew what he was doing, better him and Hamilton being p4/5 then Hamilton on front row and him in 5th.

He just couldn’t pull it off like Rosberg used to.

I doubt that, wouldnt it have been better to have both upfront? He compromised himself by going slower as well after all.

#6145 peroa

peroa

• 10,436 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:02

Until he spun Hamilton looked quicker last year, and this season neither drivers previous good tracks seems to reflect their strength (e.g. Bottas outqualified Hamilton in Silverstone, Hamilton outqualified Bottas in Spielberg).

I doubt that, wouldnt it have been better to have both upfront? He compromised himself by going slower as well after all.

Not really, keeping HAM around in the pack increases the likelyhood of something happening at the start.

#6146 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,361 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:05

That f*****g ****(maybe head) wasn´t aimed at Hamilton, it was spontaneus reaction AFTER the lap. 

#6147 CL16

CL16

• 1,249 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:10

Not really, keeping HAM around in the pack increases the likelyhood of something happening at the start.

Winning also has the biggest points gap even to second, potential for the gap to only be changed by 3 points if they were to finish 4/5th.

#6148 Marklar

Marklar

• 35,136 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:14

Winning also has the biggest points gap even to second, potential for the gap to only be changed by 3 points if they were to finish 4/5th.

How is that relevant though? At this stage it's lethal for Bottas if Hamilton gains *any* points. If he really cares for the WDC he would try to qualify as far ahead as possible.

#6149 CL16

CL16

• 1,249 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:15

How is that relevant though? At this stage it's lethal for Bottas if Hamilton gains *any* points. If he really cares for the WDC he would try to qualify as far ahead as possible.

Which was never going to happen.

#6150 jjcale

jjcale

• 11,681 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:45

LH has given MV a wide berth so far .... even driving off the track to stay away from him .. to the point that he looks like a bit of a pussy ... but its not important.

However, there is something about CL that is more insidious than MV .... that makes me think, beyond my better judgment, that payback is necessary ... its probably a guy thing but MV comes across to me like a stand up guy - even if he talks a bit too much and a bit too big sometimes ... but what you see is what you get. 

Having started to watch him more closely, I can now understand why some of the people at Ferrari dont like CL at all ... he is a very sneaky bugger.

This is the kind of guy who will take a mile if given an inch ... you have to show him that you are willing to punch him the face, just to be able have a polite conversation with him .... otherwise he turns himself into your boss... or tries to do so. 

So logically, in IQ terms, you are right ... but in EQ terms, the answer is different. 

Edited by jjcale, 22 September 2019 - 08:50.