Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
7144 replies to this topic

#651 Coral

Coral

• 4,178 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:44

Me too but I am already nervous about the potential for reliability/starts to have a big impact on a two horse race! Lewis could easily have lost 2-1 to Nico despite consistently being better.

Yeah the last thing I want is another 2016...however, I don't really see Bottas challenging Lewis in quite the way Rosberg did...Rosberg was the far better driver IMO. And I agree that Lewis vs. Vettel has run its course. Vettel had his chances in 2017 and 2018 and blew it. So who is going to challenge Lewis? If the Red Bull were faster I would say Max...he is the only driver on the grid I believe could seriously trouble Lewis at the moment. Leclerc is very promising but I won't be surprised if he is seriously demoralised with Ferrari right now given what happened today. Ferrari have to be careful.

All in all I would be very happy if I were Lewis right now! :)

Advertisement

#652 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,646 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:46

I would say Leclerc after Bahrain, but then I forgot he drives for Ferrari. Embarrassing team order. Kimi must be happy with life right now. 

#653 robefc

robefc

• 12,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:54

BOT will keep performing because he is fighting for his seat and basically his F1 career, he will stay close enough to let Ocon stay in the garage next season.

So last season he wasn't bothered but now he's got motivation he'll up his game?

I'm not sure 'keep' performing is the right phrase given his race pace in the last 2 races either

#654 ExEd

ExEd

• 847 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:13

Well done to Lewis ,flawless race and also im happy with Bottas.

He is obviously in a better place compare to what he was at the end of last season. 

With performances like Saturday's will keep Lewis on his toes and also help with the Ferrari battle some more. 

#655 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,092 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:22

It seems like Ferrari wont allow us to see Lewis vs Charles this year  :lol:

They may have no choice!

#656 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,745 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:23

So last season he wasn't bothered but now he's got motivation he'll up his game?

I'm not sure 'keep' performing is the right phrase given his race pace in the last 2 races either

Both of the drivers were close in race pace today. If Valtteri had had better start and been leading after the first corners, he would have won with roughly the same margin than Lewis did today, so I don't  really get your point here...

#657 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,646 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:26

vsj25bfbm7s21.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

#658 Maximilyan

Maximilyan

• 18 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:31

Crazy Support

#659 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,745 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:36

Crazy Support

I don't know if you noticed, but I saw several Lewis's Wife's with a "the" cap in the audience   :p

Advertisement

#660 ExEd

ExEd

• 847 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:38

I don't know if you noticed, but I saw several Lewis's Wife's with a "the" cap in the audience   :p

I lol'ed.

It should be "Lewis wife" followed by a "He doesn't know yet"  :rotfl:  

#661 ExEd

ExEd

• 847 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:40

TEAM LH !!!!

These guys are mental. Blessed to be there :)

Edited by ExEd, 14 April 2019 - 11:41.

#662 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 2,172 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:46

For once I agree with Nico, that was one hell of a recovery from Lewis, from being nowhere up until the first runs in Q2, he dug deep and found some performance just when he needed it the most, and today he was just perfect.

As for VB, he just needs to keep it up and he'll keep his seat for next year. 

#663 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,604 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:52

For once I agree with Nico, that was one hell of a recovery from Lewis, from being nowhere up until the first runs in Q2, he dug deep and found some performance just when he needed it the most, and today he was just perfect.

As for VB, he just needs to keep it up and he'll keep his seat for next year.

Hamilton is in a league of his own these days. His performance in Bahrain was sensational and China was just superb recovering from Friday. It’s like watching Schumacher at his peak, this championship is over already, no way will Bottas or Ferrari put up a season long fight at this level.

#664 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 2,291 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:03

Valtteri has had 2/2 superb starts so hope this continues and becomes a trend.

Seems like the trend is for the Pole sitter is to lose places at the start this year......i don't believe it will continue further into the season though.. 

#665 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:28

Crazy Support

Leeds would've taken more!

#666 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 5,964 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:59

I lol'ed.

It should be "Lewis wife" followed by a "He doesn't know yet"  :rotfl: 

He did have a Chinese  GF before his celibate vegan years if I'm not mistaken

#667 Maximilyan

Maximilyan

• 18 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:06

:rotfl:Yeah, definitely caught that. great start to the season from Mercs. They've done an unreal job since Lewis joined. They've really delviered and put him in a position to go down as a legend of the sport.

#668 robefc

robefc

• 12,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:35

Both of the drivers were close in race pace today. If Valtteri had had better start and been leading after the first corners, he would have won with roughly the same margin than Lewis did today, so I don't  really get your point here...

Erm, no

#669 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 5,015 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:42

:wave:

I'm not complaining 😂

#670 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 5,015 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:43

Both of the drivers were close in race pace today. If Valtteri had had better start and been leading after the first corners, he would have won with roughly the same margin than Lewis did today, so I don't really get your point here...

If Bottas hadn't had the undercut in the first stint he'd have been over 10 seconds behind Lewis. That isn't similar race pace.

#671 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:43

Seems like the trend is for the Pole sitter is to lose places at the start this year......i don't believe it will continue further into the season though.. 

Very well could on track where the P1 position isn't on the racing line.  The extra rubber and grip could be a significant benefit with their colder tires on the starting line as result of the rule changes.  I saw and commented on it right away after Bahrain.. not sure why media never caught wind of how p2 and p4 always get away better then p1 and p3..

#672 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:48

Nope.. Lewis is just not a clown like Bottas was in Australia and didn't pull a stupid gap.  He was reading the situation and like Seb and Max do as well from the lead, they manage the pace and race.    People are just to naive to accept that is how leads are run in long life Power Units and fragile tires.   Drivers 1 - 2 -3 get its equally important to save your PU as it is to push.  stay close enough to be there is the lead driver cooks a corner but not enough to stress your engine unneedily.  The passing deltas are too huge when outside of DRS that impossible typically to pass the lead driver.  Bottas is too immature to realize that in Aus.  and just went for it.

Edited by Paco, 14 April 2019 - 13:49.

#673 robefc

robefc

• 12,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:49

Very well could on track where the P1 position isn't on the racing line.  The extra rubber and grip could be a significant benefit with their colder tires on the starting line as result of the rule changes.  I saw and commented on it right away after Bahrain.. not sure why media never caught wind of how p2 and p4 always get away better then p1 and p3..

What have I missed/forgotten?

#674 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,498 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:50

If Bottas hadn't had the undercut in the first stint he'd have been over 10 seconds behind Lewis. That isn't similar race pace.

Hamilton also had to use a used set of mediums in the final stint because of Mercedes' decision in Q2 to waste that set (which also potentially compromised him in qualifying in terms of preperation).

Struggles all weekend, gets compromised by his team a couple of times, and somehow still manages to win easily  :stoned: 

though, fair play to Mercedes for the double stack, they mainly did it to not compromise Hamilton even more.

#675 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,765 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:03

Hamilton is in a league of his own these days. His performance in Bahrain was sensational and China was just superb recovering from Friday. It’s like watching Schumacher at his peak, this championship is over already, no way will Bottas or Ferrari put up a season long fight at this level.

I don't disagree with you that he's a complete driver, at his peak. But I think his recovery in qualifying and the race was a bit of a fluke. He was ordinary in Q1, and Q2. At one point it was over half a second gap to Valtteri. Then in desperation he started playing around with some diff settings and taking different lines, driving techniques to compensate for the car's balance and whatever he did seemed to switch on the tyres.

Sure there's a bit of experience and skill towards achieving that, but there's a good bit of luck involved as well. Same with the starts, there seems to be a fair bit of luck involved in releasing the clutch just the right amount. Not saying there's no skill involved, of course there is, but seems like there's an element of luck in it too.

But yes, one of Lewis' strengths since 2012 is being able to maximise results even when it's not his weekend.

#676 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,354 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:06

First three 1-2 finishes in first three races since 1992, that is domination. 

#677 P123

P123

• 16,031 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:10

More of a surprise that Merc didn't manage it in '14, '15 or '16.

#678 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:16

What have I missed/forgotten?

Lowering of the tire warmer temps so the fronts are colder now.

#679 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,092 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:34

I don't disagree with you that he's a complete driver, at his peak. But I think his recovery in qualifying and the race was a bit of a fluke. He was ordinary in Q1, and Q2. At one point it was over half a second gap to Valtteri. Then in desperation he started playing around with some diff settings and taking different lines, driving techniques to compensate for the car's balance and whatever he did seemed to switch on the tyres.

Sure there's a bit of experience and skill towards achieving that, but there's a good bit of luck involved as well. Same with the starts, there seems to be a fair bit of luck involved in releasing the clutch just the right amount. Not saying there's no skill involved, of course there is, but seems like there's an element of luck in it too.

But yes, one of Lewis' strengths since 2012 is being able to maximise results even when it's not his weekend.

I don’t think Lewis’s recovery was a fluke or a result of desperation at all. He worked hard all weekend chipping away at his problems & changing his driving style where necessary. By the time of the race he had the car under him.

Advertisement

#680 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,765 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:35

Lowering of the tire warmer temps so the fronts are colder now.

Lowering tyre warmer temps combined with crappy Pirellis and super narrow operating window. Recipe for disaster.

#681 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:40

I must admit I was worried for the race, even after Hamilton's surprising qualifying.

I was specifically expecting Bottas to win the start and exercise much better consistency, such is his comfort with the car.

But thankfully, both drivers reverted to type. Hamilton supreme. Bottas solid but inconsistent. I was worried with Hamilton's preoccupation on fastest lap, but relieved he let it go without an attempt.

Looking forward to Baku. Hamilton seems marginally more comfortable in the W10 than he did in the W09, and he has never truly put a weekend together there.

Overall, it feels very ominous that he already has such a mammoth WDC lead after coming from behind the last 2 seasons. There will surely be a blip at some point, but it's such a comfortable position to be in.

Edited by TomNokoe, 14 April 2019 - 14:41.

#682 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,343 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:48

Bottas is a solid enough driver but I feel he's too easily willing to settle for 2nd to ever mount a serious title challenge.

#683 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:00

The most back handed compliment I think I have read on here - "well done for using your skill and knowledge base to turn around what was looking like an average weekend but it was a fluke/luck". You know those statements are simply incompatible? How is it a fluke or luck if he was actively doing things in an attempt to find more lap time and performance, and then it working? It is the exact opposite of luck/fluke.

#684 robefc

robefc

• 12,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:05

I must admit I was worried for the race, even after Hamilton's surprising qualifying.

I was specifically expecting Bottas to win the start and exercise much better consistency, such is his comfort with the car.

But thankfully, both drivers reverted to type. Hamilton supreme. Bottas solid but inconsistent. I was worried with Hamilton's preoccupation on fastest lap, but relieved he let it go without an attempt.

Looking forward to Baku. Hamilton seems marginally more comfortable in the W10 than he did in the W09, and he has never truly put a weekend together there.

Overall, it feels very ominous that he already has such a mammoth WDC lead after coming from behind the last 2 seasons. There will surely be a blip at some point, but it's such a comfortable position to be in.

For some reason I had a feeling Lewis would win the start...not sure why, just felt like it was his turn because the starts are pretty variable in general...and I'm generally a bit more confident when Lewis is starting behind rather than ahead.

#685 robefc

robefc

• 12,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:06

Hamilton also had to use a used set of mediums in the final stint because of Mercedes' decision in Q2 to waste that set (which also potentially compromised him in qualifying in terms of preperation).

Struggles all weekend, gets compromised by his team a couple of times, and somehow still manages to win easily  :stoned: 

though, fair play to Mercedes for the double stack, they mainly did it to not compromise Hamilton even more.

I know what you mean but really I would look at it the other way round - it was to avoid compromising Bottas's race...they just didn't go as far as they did at the first stops to do so.

Edited by robefc, 14 April 2019 - 15:06.

#686 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,646 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:06

Hamilton is still getting used to the car, it was the same story last year, but when he finds it he can produce magic. Remember last year he was nowhere in China and also beaten in Bahrain Q, although he knew he had a gearbox penalty then.

#687 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,418 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:13

The most back handed compliment I think I have read on here - "well done for using your skill and knowledge base to turn around what was looking like an average weekend but it was a fluke/luck". You know those statements are simply incompatible? How is it a fluke or luck if he was actively doing things in an attempt to find more lap time and performance, and then it working? It is the exact opposite of luck/fluke.

I don't think you can accuse gillesfan76 of all people in here to give backhanded compliments regarding Lewis's performances.

#688 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:19

I don't think you can accuse gillesfan76 of all people in here to give backhanded compliments regarding Lewis's performances.

Yet that is exactly how it reads. Maybe I have misinterpreted what was written but it is a compliment with a wholly untrue caveat.

Edited by alframsey, 14 April 2019 - 15:19.

#689 pRy

pRy

• 16,077 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:31

Bottas is a solid enough driver but I feel he's too easily willing to settle for 2nd to ever mount a serious title challenge.

And the bad news for him is the "We need to cover off what Ferrari are doing with team orders" conversation might not be far away. 

#690 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,062 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:46

That's why Merc need Max in Merc alongside Lewis. Then we can really have two Merc drivers fighting for the WDC. That will be most fans dream. 

#691 sabjit

sabjit

• 1,757 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:47

I was saying to someone the other day that I reckon Hamilton will win the World Championship for every year he decides to continue in this sport. He consistently improves and I think he has now reached the point where he has transcended any limitations and has reached a state of invincibility.

Mercedes have such a slick operation that they will always provide championship contending cars and as long as they do that Hamilton will convert. And they keep him happy so that it is unlikely he will ever leave. 

We are possibly witnessing the GOAT at the peak of his powers and it is an absolute privilege to watch. We will all be telling our grandchildren about how we were lucky enough to watch this man drive at his peak. 

#692 P123

P123

• 16,031 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:49

And the bad news for him is the "We need to cover off what Ferrari are doing with team orders" conversation might not be far away.

I'm not so sure. He's in the fight, whereas last year he ended up a fair way off it. The team will cover depending on circumstance, such as him getting the undercut at the first stops to prevent Vettel jumping him.

#693 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,765 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:52

Yeah I'm a Lewis hater, didn't you know?  :rolleyes:

Seriously though, while Lewis not giving up and continuing to try different things and it working certainly shows determination, skill and experience, the fact that he was nowhere all weekend - P1, P2, P3, Q1, Q2 and suddenly in Q3 finds a breakthrough certainly seems like an element of luck involved there.

The problem you're having is that you can't reconcile the fact that both skill and luck can be involved. Seems to me that you prefer simple one dimensional narratives, yes?

#694 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,745 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:14

Nope.. Lewis is just not a clown like Bottas was in Australia and didn't pull a stupid gap.  He was reading the situation and like Seb and Max do as well from the lead, they manage the pace and race.    People are just to naive to accept that is how leads are run in long life Power Units and fragile tires.   Drivers 1 - 2 -3 get its equally important to save your PU as it is to push.  stay close enough to be there is the lead driver cooks a corner but not enough to stress your engine unneedily.  The passing deltas are too huge when outside of DRS that impossible typically to pass the lead driver.  Bottas is too immature to realize that in Aus.  and just went for it.

Why I even bother try to comment here on Lewis land, while he walks on water and turn it to wine for you here...  :well:

#695 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,841 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:15

the fact that he was nowhere all weekend - P1, P2, P3, Q1, Q2 and suddenly in Q3 finds a breakthrough certainly seems like an element of luck involved there.

Outside of the headline times, his pace was fine. Faster Mercedes in FP1. Fastest in FP2 and FP3 on the Medium tyre runs.

He made very clear mistakes at turn 6 in FP3 and Q2, and his comments through the weekend helped to shape the "struggling" narrative.

Edited by TomNokoe, 14 April 2019 - 16:15.

#696 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,765 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 16:43

Why I even bother try to comment here on Lewis land, while he walks on water and turn it to wine for you here...  :well:

But Bottas himself said he couldn't keep up with Lewis in the first stint. Why so frustrated? You might well be correct that had Valtteri got a good start, he could've held onto the lead. But it's not a sure thing.

Q: How was the pace of the car for the rest of the grand prix.

VB: I think for the first stint Lewis had a pretty strong stint. I was initially close by but obviously when you are behind, you are sliding a bit more, overheating the tyres a bit more. I think after the first stint, the second and third stint were very similar.

Edited by gillesfan76, 14 April 2019 - 16:46.

#697 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,498 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:26

Just noticed

Qualipace: 2018 Bottas (0.073), 2019 Hamilton (0.05)
Quali battle: 2018 Bottas (2-1), 2019 Hamilton (2-1)
Race battle: 2018 Bottas (2-1, although there was a gearbox pen for Hamilton in Bahrain), 2019 Hamilton (2-1)

Basically everything looks better for Hamilton compared to last year at this point, yet people were already eager to talk up a "New" Bottas.

Ferrari's team orders were *way* more obvious in 2017 and Vettel was building up a gap, yet they werent doing this until late in the season.

I think he has now reached the point where he has transcended any limitations and has reached a state of invincibility.

Why do people have always to be so extreme in their opinion.

#698 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:33

Just noticed

Qualipace: 2018 Bottas (0.073), 2019 Hamilton (0.05)
Quali battle: 2018 Bottas (2-1), 2019 Hamilton (2-1)
Race battle: 2018 Bottas (2-1, although there was a gearbox pen for Hamilton in Bahrain), 2019 Hamilton (2-1)

The beard is fake news

Edited by Jordan44, 14 April 2019 - 17:33.

#699 OO7

OO7

• 19,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:35

In terms of driver performance, he did everything right in 2017, it just didn't work out because of the headrest coming loose.

Advertisement

#700 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,451 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:36

Agree, the way he let Hamilton by in Bahrain was telling.