Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
7858 replies to this topic

#7151 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,416 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:37

Shovlin mentions cars losing 4-5 seconds a lap at the end of stints, I think that's what they were afraid of. Although presumably they could have pitted to safely get 3rd so a risk worth taking.

I imagine Lewis's reaction and maybe some forumers would have been interesting if that if that did occur though.

If they thought the tyres going right off the cliff was a likely scenario then attacking Vettel with fresher softs may have seemed the route with higher potential for p2.

I've seen nothing in the post race comments from merc to that makes me think what they did was unreasonable tbh (except I wish they'd gone for the undercut to start with!). Lewis hasn't indicated he thought staying out was an option AFAIK either.

I dont really see that, if it would have failed, well, then he is still P3, pits for fastest lap point, etc.

It's always more likely to beat a Ferrari over track position than over overtaking them, especially when the race is not on a Bahrain-type of track. Of course he might have still complained, but it should be obvious what is more likely to give you P2.

Moreover Shovlin's numbers are based on them asking Lewis to push through the stint, if he doesnt push as much as he did, it would have been probably much more feasible than it already was.

The only argument I can bring forward for what Mercedes did - except of preventing the earlier mentioned awkward scenario - is them fearing that the tyre explodes and he ends up with zero points. The difference between 16 and 18 points is fairly insignificant when compared to 16 vs. 0 points.

Edited by Marklar, 17 October 2019 - 12:40.

Advertisement

#7152 F1Lurker

F1Lurker

• 1,437 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 14:00

I dont really see that, if it would have failed, well, then he is still P3, pits for fastest lap point, etc.

It's always more likely to beat a Ferrari over track position than over overtaking them, especially when the race is not on a Bahrain-type of track. Of course he might have still complained, but it should be obvious what is more likely to give you P2.

Moreover Shovlin's numbers are based on them asking Lewis to push through the stint, if he doesnt push as much as he did, it would have been probably much more feasible than it already was.

The only argument I can bring forward for what Mercedes did - except of preventing the earlier mentioned awkward scenario - is them fearing that the tyre explodes and he ends up with zero points. The difference between 16 and 18 points is fairly insignificant when compared to 16 vs. 0 points.

The chosen Merc strategy was bad all around for Lewis. By stopping and changing tyres they were committing him to attempt an overtake on Vettel while at the same time taking a potential victory out of reach. Let's imagine that Lewis actually got close enough to try an overtake and was punted out of the race by Vettel. He would have given up 26 points to Bottas which could easily swing the championship with a few Hamilton DNFs. That was a risk that Hamilton did not have to take.

Does anyone on this board think for a second that if Mercedes had told Hamilton that he had 10 laps to go and that Bottas was 9 seconds behind and Vettel was 18 seconds behind that Hamilton would have agreed to stop? I would have made a large bet that Hamilton could have managed his pace so as not to lose 18 seconds to Vettel. 

I think Mercedes was afraid of two things:

1. Asking Hamilton to let Bottas by even though they had different strategies; and

2. If Hamilton refused, Bottas would have went hard at the overtake with about 4 laps remaining. Imagine the clusterfuc if Bottas took Hamilton out and Vettel went on to win and Mercedes did not secure the constructors?

#7153 Nathan

Nathan

• 5,005 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 15:26

Being quite assumptive about next year there...

’Quite’, when assuming the potential success of the most dominant driver/team the past six years??

#7154 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,600 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 17:52

I think Mercedes was afraid of two things:
1. Asking Hamilton to let Bottas by even though they had different strategies; and
2. If Hamilton refused, Bottas would have went hard at the overtake with about 4 laps remaining. Imagine the clusterfuc if Bottas took Hamilton out and Vettel went on to win and Mercedes did not secure the constructors?

I think too that Hamilton second stop had more to do with safely letting Bottas pass than securing 2nd position. Overtaking the Ferrari was always going to be difficult, but 18s enough of a gap to justify defending 2nd. Or even go for the win. But Bottas and Merc strategiat were not going to let Hamilton win this one. I wonder what would have happened if Hamilton just stayed out and went for the win?

#7155 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,606 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 18:06

partly mercs over cautious approach and giving a win back to bottas which helps cement 2nd and gives him a confidence boost.

lewis needs to sort his qualy out

#7156 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,082 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 18:09

But then Bottas also would have had no problems doing the one stop. His tyres were only four laps older than Hamilton's and he had the benefit of constant clear air.

Pitting Bottas and not Hamilton would have been a disservice to Bottas and would have gifted Hamilton the win that he hadn't done anything to deserve. Why move Bottas out of the way like that? He wasn't complaining about the tyres and it was purely a tactical stop.

I think they probably could have saved themselves a bit of grief by pitting Hamilton first and then Bottas. Bottas had enough gap on Vettel - although Vettel was quicker at that stage, he still had around four laps grace - and it might have avoided all these accusations that Hamilton was somehow unfairly treated by not having had his team mate robbed of the win

Bottas might well have been able to one as well, but I was talking about the point where he had already pitted and Hamilton now had track position. I agree it would have shafted Bottas, but that wouldn't have been the first time.

#7157 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,416 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 18:14

In the long run this probably has helped them a lot. Bottas would have felt screwed, would have probably stopped trusting Hamilton as well. And it would have further demotivated him. They'll need Bottas next year to help when it's needed.

#7158 robefc

robefc

• 13,018 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 21:33

Exactly the same argument can be made for doing what they did.

And Shovlin's numbers are based on other cars, no?

Edited by robefc, 17 October 2019 - 21:34.

#7159 AnttiK

AnttiK

• 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 21:36

Going back to Hamilton's downbeat Instagram comments...I think it's probably just a sign of tiredness and built up exhaustion. We are coming towards the end of the season and he has been travelling and changing time zones constantly and it has to take its toll from time to time. At the end of the day these guys are human beings and there are gonna be tired moments when they feel less rosy about things and are questioning their chosen paths in life.

Rosberg's early retirement decision was probably also partly influenced by tiredness and exhaustion. It also reminds me of Häkkinen's retirement at a relatively young age as well. He had a complete meltdown at the 1999 FIA prize giving ceremony where he was crying due to massive built up exhaustion. He said that he was completely finished/done after that season. That was only a couple of months after the crying in the woods episode in Monza. Häkkinen has said that from then on the countdown clock to the retirement began.

I have a feeling we are gonna see more of these kinds of symptoms as the calendar continues to expand.

Edited by AnttiK, 17 October 2019 - 21:36.

Advertisement

#7160 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,843 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:53

Going back to Hamilton's downbeat Instagram comments...I think it's probably just a sign of tiredness and built up exhaustion. We are coming towards the end of the season and he has been travelling and changing time zones constantly and it has to take its toll from time to time. At the end of the day these guys are human beings and there are gonna be tired moments when they feel less rosy about things and are questioning their chosen paths in life.

Rosberg's early retirement decision was probably also partly influenced by tiredness and exhaustion. It also reminds me of Häkkinen's retirement at a relatively young age as well. He had a complete meltdown at the 1999 FIA prize giving ceremony where he was crying due to massive built up exhaustion. He said that he was completely finished/done after that season. That was only a couple of months after the crying in the woods episode in Monza. Häkkinen has said that from then on the countdown clock to the retirement began.

I have a feeling we are gonna see more of these kinds of symptoms as the calendar continues to expand.

I acknowledge I probably shouldn't be judging as I'm not in his shoes, but it seems to me that it hasn't exactly been one of his more difficult seasons. This one has been a relative walk in the park, at least it seems that way from the outside.

But aside from that, you make a very good point. It must be tiring for the drivers, and downright exhausting for all the mechanics and crew involved.

#7161 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,940 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 13:41

If it was that easy he wouldn't be one of the oldest drivers on the grid. Drivers start younger but also retire younger.

We will see if he extends his contract or not next year.

Edited by SonGoku, 18 October 2019 - 13:41.

#7162 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,491 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 19:12

Crazy to think that if Lewis fails to score another pole this season (not at all unlikely at this stage), he would have scored less poles than in any other season since joining Mercedes, including 2013 when he scored 5. Who would have thought that after Q3 in Australia?

Edited by GoldenColt, 18 October 2019 - 19:17.

#7163 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,258 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 19:16

It does sometimes seem that Mercedes don't necessarily view it as being their job to help Lewis beat Valtteri from behind, with both titles safe. I think this is logical and wouldn't be noteworthy if it wasn't for Lewis's raciness. When two teams are trying to outwit each other on strategy, it can be a pure and interesting competition. When both cars are from the same team, with the same people having knowledge and control of both strategies, it cannot be a pure contest on the strategy side. It is like playing chess with yourself. It must seem odd, though, when the people who are usually trying to help you win at all costs are suddenly neutral just because your team-mate is leading. 

#7164 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,112 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 19:44

Crazy to think that if Lewis fails to score another pole this season (not at all unlikely at this stage), he would have scored less poles than in any other season since joining Mercedes, including 2013 when he scored 5. Who would have thought that after Q3 in Australia?

Think the point really is that Mercedes have had far less poles so far this season. 

#7165 F1Lurker

F1Lurker

• 1,437 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 20:12

Now that the constructors is over, it would be interesting if Mercedes would allow each driver to have their "own" strategist pursuing a self interested goal to beat the "other" Mercedes driver. This would be the only fair course of action.

#7166 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,416 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 20:20

Think the point really is that Mercedes have had far less poles so far this season. 

Mercedes does have far less poles than in the last couple of years, but another factor for Hamilton specifically is that of the 6 times Hamilton lost to Bottas 4 were actually to pole. Bottas has as many poles as in 2017 and two more than in 2018. And exactly as many as Hamilton this year.

Their quali H2H is exactly like in the last couple of years though (11-6), it's just that unlike the last two years Hamilton seems to get more out of it when Mercedes is on the backfoot (or Bottas more when the car is on it), or maybe it's just a coincidence, since Bottas' traditional early season purple patch/Hamilton's slow start happened to be at the same time as Ferrari not maximizing their package.

If we project the actual Quali H2H into poles Hamilton would have around 6, which well, is still far less than in the last couple of years, but doesnt look quite as dramatic (they are 8 vs. 13 to last year)

Now that the constructors is over, it would be interesting if Mercedes would allow each driver to have their "own" strategist pursuing a self interested goal to beat the "other" Mercedes driver. This would be the only fair course of action.

Even in 2016 in the final race they were still trying to manage them, stop dreaming  :p 

Also I dont think that strategies are necessarly fair to beat your team mate. Sure, if you can pull off a certain strategy due to tyre management or something and your team mate genuinely cant, then fair enough. But if you just luck into your strategist chosing the better one, then I dont see how that is more fair.

#7167 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,940 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 20:29

Merc don't have the car for pole, simple.

#7168 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,416 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 20:43

I wouldnt outright say that. Hamilton was less than 2 tenths off in Singapore, albeit with a cleaner lap than Leclerc, despite Mercedes screwing up their set-up. Bottas/Hamilton were less than 2 tenths off in Suzuka despite the wind affecting them negatively. Without the red flag in Monza they would have locked the front row (albeit due to Leclerc screwing up his lap). It's only in Russia and Belgium where they really had no chance. And now they also got a upgrade. I expect them to score one more pole tbh. The 5-0 pole score line for Ferrari is nearly as misleading as the Mercedes 8-0 winning run at the start of the season (although I agree, Ferrari definitely has the better quali car)

Edited by Marklar, 18 October 2019 - 20:44.

#7169 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,940 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:57

Wolff has spoken again about a new contract for Hamilton. Wolff wants to extend before the new season starts. Interesting to see if Lewis keeps the boat off like the last time.

#7170 Hela

Hela

• 598 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:35

Wolff has spoken again about a new contract for Hamilton. Wolff wants to extend before the new season starts. Interesting to see if Lewis keeps the boat off like the last time.

I guess he wants this wrapped up quickly and set in stone for 2021.

He may be thinking that with Ferrari having a good car for next year and a possible falling out between their drivers if the duel between Leclerc and Vettel continues, then one of them may well decide to pack up and leave and this will put Lewis on Ferrari's radar.

He may want Lewis tied to a contract to negate that possibility 

pure speculation on my part........ :)

#7171 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 912 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:12

I can't see Lewis committing that early. I think he'll get through the first 4-6 races and then make a decision around Monaco time.

#7172 AnR

AnR

• 664 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:53

He may be thinking that with Ferrari having a good car for next year and a possible falling out between their drivers if the duel between Leclerc and Vettel continues, then one of them may well decide to pack up and leave and this will put Lewis on Ferrari's radar.

The only reason they (Ferrari) went for Michael who even was a bit older was their history together. No idea why they would go for a 38 year old hyper expensive when there are so many young drivers out there, and it's not like he's known to have non frictional driver relations either if that what's your motive. 

#7173 Hela

Hela

• 598 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 13:11

The only reason they (Ferrari) went for Michael who even was a bit older was their history together. No idea why they would go for a 38 year old hyper expensive when there are so many young drivers out there, and it's not like he's known to have non frictional driver relations either if that what's your motive. 

I was just stating the rationale on why Toto may want to tie him up to a contract from his perspective (I did say it was speculation and not factual in my post) as I can't know what is on Toto's mind

I personally am not overtly concerned on what Ferrari's policy is with regards to their drivers signing

All am speculating on is why Toto is keen on getting him signed asap, and I offered a perspective, whether they (Ferrari) signed Kimi when he was 38 or 40 is really of no interest to me

Edited by Hela, 24 October 2019 - 13:12.

#7174 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,499 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 13:16

I'd think the earlier Toto or anyone else can get one of the top guys wrapped up or at least deep into negotiations, the better. That way they can test the waters sooner, and even if things don't go so well with their prime target, they have more time to go after plan B. Nobody wants to be left without a top driver when the music stops.

#7175 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,416 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 13:23

Wolff certainly thinks of the scenario of them being only able to attract Ricciardo and below tier of drivers should Mercedes turn out to fall behind Ferrari & Red Bull next season (in that scenario Hamilton retires for example). And since Hamilton is good for another few years on the very top everything would be covered for them.

It would also make sense for Hamilton to commit early since otherwise they could start to make pressure with Max should they stay competitive, and Binotto said he doesnt want two top drivers next time so Hamilton wouldnt even gain anything by waiting since Ferrari wouldnt take him anyways.

Edited by Marklar, 24 October 2019 - 13:25.

#7176 paipa

paipa

• 603 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 14:35

Wolff certainly thinks of the scenario of them being only able to attract Ricciardo and below tier of drivers should Mercedes turn out to fall behind Ferrari & Red Bull next season (in that scenario Hamilton retires for example). And since Hamilton is good for another few years on the very top everything would be covered for them.

It would also make sense for Hamilton to commit early since otherwise they could start to make pressure with Max should they stay competitive, and Binotto said he doesnt want two top drivers next time so Hamilton wouldnt even gain anything by waiting since Ferrari wouldnt take him anyways.

It seems like such a no-brainer to sign now. I'm not even sure why Mercedes would even offer a new contract this early.

If Mercedes are good next year, they'll have no problem signing Max for 2021 onwards.

If they fall behind and Max decides to stay at RB, Lewis has little choice but stay as well.

The only way Mercedes could be left without a star driver for 2021 is if they fall behind AND Lewis decides to retire. But no way will these two things both happen. Not with eighty-something wins and 6 WDC's for Lewis.

#7177 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,804 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 15:23

Finally watched the pitwall debrief. I know Shovlin got asked better questions about the strategy than the 1 he chose. I don't envy him, this was probably a Vowles decision in the end. I just know most of us weren't concerned with the tire graphic, we were watching the laptime delta, and the interval on the track. There was a buffer to 4th that gave them leeway that they did not use. The explanation he gave is a whitewash to cover their asses. It's fine. What's done is done. I didn't expect Lewis to win the race, but conceding all chance at a 2nd place to try and pass a Ferrari you have had no luck overtaking on the best of days just smacks of fail. Lewis just has to do a better job of being in the lead position so that if the strategy team are going to act like a bunch of morons, that he suffers the least amount of damage to his only remaining championship rival. You can't bs a bser, and that's basically what they're trying to do in that video.

Wish I hadn't watched it, because now I'm annoyed again. I'll get over it by tomorrow.

#7178 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,543 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 16:49

I acknowledge I probably shouldn't be judging as I'm not in his shoes, but it seems to me that it hasn't exactly been one of his more difficult seasons. This one has been a relative walk in the park, at least it seems that way from the outside.

But aside from that, you make a very good point. It must be tiring for the drivers, and downright exhausting for all the mechanics and crew involved.

I think you have to back further though. In many sports athletes cite the grind, season after season, as a major factor in their decision to retire. I think Hamilton's comments stem from exhaustion at staying at the top of his game for so many years, not just this season.

#7179 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,940 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 17:47

I still remember Vettel admitting being tired in 2014 after 4 years winning the WC.

Advertisement

#7180 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,416 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:16

Bono will be missing in both Mexico and the USA

Bonnington is not present in Mexico City as he has stayed at home in the United Kingdom to undergo a personal medical procedure.

He will miss next weekend's United States GP as well, but Mercedes hopes can return for the Brazilian Grand Prix in mid-November.

In Bonnington's absence, his role will be taken over by Hamilton's regular performance engineer Marcus Dudley.

Dom Riefstahl, who usually heads up Mercedes' race support team at the factory, is present in Mexico as Hamilton's performance engineer.

https://www.autospor...-next-two-races

#7181 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,112 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:55

Bono will be missing in both Mexico and the USA

https://www.autospor...-next-two-races

No doubt Bono will be missed & sad if he misses out on the WDC. Although personally I’d like the championship to be won at COTA  :)

#7182 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,360 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:59

Dudders :up:

#7183 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 350 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 15:12

The way Sky talk about Bottas you would think Japan wasn’t his first win for 5 months...🙄

#7184 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,843 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 17:04

So many young drivers, available in 2021? Like who?

#7185 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 242 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:19

Really not what Valtteri needed there! And unfortunately cost Lewis at least P3, possibly P2.

I'd be surprised if that's not at least a gearbox change for Valtteri so I'd say slightly increased chance of Lewis wrapping it up tomorrow!

Edited by hamilton10000, 26 October 2019 - 19:20.

#7186 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,940 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:19

Really not what Valtteri needed there! And unfortunately cost Lewis at least P3, possibly P2.

I'd be surprised if that's not at least a gearbox chance for Valtteri so I'd say slightly increased chance of Lewis wrapping it up tomorrow!

Doubt it, I don't expect a great result for Merc tomorrow here.

#7187 Hela

Hela

• 598 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:20

I'd be surprised if that's not at least a gearbox chance for Valtteri so I'd say slightly increased chance of Lewis wrapping it up tomorrow!

Hope its not a chassis change as it was a full whack there, that could even set him further back

#7188 D A

D A

• 898 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:20

I'd say chassis change. The mounting points are probably destroyed on the front left.

#7189 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,360 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:22

Tough one for Bottas. Borrowed Hamilton's chassis and then wrecked it!

Edited by TomNokoe, 26 October 2019 - 19:22.

#7190 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 912 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:23

The gap between the top six means he could get back to P6 probably fairly comfortably even from the pit lane. Still can't see the title being taken tomorrow if both cars take the flag.

#7191 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 407 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:24

Tough one for Bottas. Borrowed Hamilton's chassis and then wrecked it!

Ah, keeping up with the true spirit of rental-cars.

#7192 D A

D A

• 898 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:27

Bottas is at the medical center, but he probably is okay. Isn't it a requirement if the medical light is activated to go to the medical center?

#7193 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,940 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:28

If his chassis is gone yeah, but they can change everything and give him in that case a new engine and he will be P6 before you know it.

#7194 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,804 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:39

Any thoughts on what Merc was doing in Q2 with the tires? I thought it would have been smarter to keep Lewis' banker lap, and just ride out the rest of the session in the pits, if they really want to save a Soft set for tomorrow. Then they'd have the option of going M-H-S, or M-M-S. Now it seems certain to be M-H for the first 2 stints, with a hail mary shot at a 1-stop, because M-H-S seems definitively slower than M-M-S. i'm hoping it's not some equality nonsense, since Bottas' first M run in Q2 wasn't quick enough to be safe. It seemed like they were intent on doing 2 runs on the first set of Mediums, which I find baffling.

#7195 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,112 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:45

Any thoughts on what Merc was doing in Q2 with the tires? I thought it would have been smarter to keep Lewis' banker lap, and just ride out the rest of the session in the pits, if they really want to save a Soft set for tomorrow. Then they'd have the option of going M-H-S, or M-M-S. Now it seems certain to be M-H for the first 2 stints, with a hail mary shot at a 1-stop, because M-H-S seems definitively slower than M-M-S. i'm hoping it's not some equality nonsense, since Bottas' first M run in Q2 wasn't quick enough to be safe. It seemed like they were intent on doing 2 runs on the first set of Mediums, which I find baffling.

Lewis’s banker lap may not have been fast enough though. Wasn’t he 5th & Bottas 4th?

#7196 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,469 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:50

Did Lewis say anything about his second Q3 lap? He was just a tenth down on pike going into S3 and I suspect he slowed down tonnes for Bottas.

#7197 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,123 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:52

If his chassis is gone yeah, but they can change everything and give him in that case a new engine and he will be P6 before you know it.

He's got to overtake other cars, though. Not exactly his strongest point. I'd recon P6 would be a good result for him.

#7198 OO7

OO7

• 19,243 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:55

Did Lewis say anything about his second Q3 lap? He was just a tenth down on pike going into S3 and I suspect he slowed down tonnes for Bottas.

I think he said 3rd was possible.

#7199 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 912 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:56

P2 was possible but Valtteri and Seb were also going well.

Advertisement

#7200 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,940 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 19:59

Yeah, you don't know what the others could have done. I think he had BOT in his bag anyway but I doubt VET. So P3 in that case.