Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
7139 replies to this topic

#701 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,348 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:40

Why do people have always to be so extreme in their opinion.

CountDooku is the king of hyperbole. I blame him. 

In all seriousness, no driver is invincible or perfect. Lewis is quite clearly the best all-round driver in the series at the moment. And right now, he is just as good as any of the other great drivers who have driven in F1 over the past 30-40 years ago. That's good enough in its own right. 

In terms of driver performance, he did everything right in 2017, it just didn't work out because of the headrest coming loose.

Piss off Arthur. 

I was looking forward to correcting him on that. 

Advertisement

#702 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,475 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:48

Lewis is the perect package right now, a lean, mean, winning machine. He is at his peak, an all time great imo.

I am very impressed with his driving, he is jut lethal now. 

I had my doubts about him a couple of years ago but he has proven me wrong.

#703 geralt

geralt

• 763 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:53

I was reading an article where Lewis talks about his starts and found this passage that was very intriguing. 

“Clearly [it’s] an area that I’ve struggled with and it’s not like it’s only this year,” said Hamilton. “It’s been something I’ve struggled with over the years: 2016, you could say, was one of the worst. Probably back in 2007, 2008 was also really poor period of time for starts, particularly against the Ferraris who were very, very strong with it.

“Last year was actually a really strong year for me. I think I just finished second overall of quickest starts throughout the year to, I think it was Carlos Sainz or something like that. Arguably it was first – but it’s dependent on the GPS."

Why have I never heard of a ranking on starts? It totally sounds like a stat that'd be very interesting to keep track of. Also, am I the only one who's a bit surprised that last year (according to him) he was better than the Ferraris in that regard?

Edited by geralt, 14 April 2019 - 17:55.

#704 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,340 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:54

😳😳😳
Are you seriously telling me Lewis isn’t the best thing to happen to motor racing since the invention of the internal combustion engine?

#705 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,340 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:56

I was reading an article where Lewis talks about his starts and found this passage that was very intriguing.

“Clearly [it’s] an area that I’ve struggled with and it’s not like it’s only this year,” said Hamilton. “It’s been something I’ve struggled with over the years: 2016, you could say, was one of the worst. Probably back in 2007, 2008 was also really poor period of time for starts, particularly against the Ferraris who were very, very strong with it.
“Last year was actually a really strong year for me. I think I just finished second overall of quickest starts throughout the year to, I think it was Carlos Sainz or something like that. Arguably it was first – but it’s dependent on the GPS."

Why have I never heard of a ranking on starts? It totally sounds like a stat that'd be very interesting to keep track of. Also, am I the only one who's a bit surprised that last year (according to him) he was better than the Ferraris in that regard?

You are. He was incredible of the line last year and I can’t recall him losing places off pole for once (though I’m now old and my memory is hazy).

#706 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:59

You are. He was incredible of the line last year and I can’t recall him losing places off pole for once (though I’m now old and my memory is hazy).

Silverstone, Austin.

AMuS mentioned such a GPS-based ranking in 2016. Surprisingly it had both Merc drivers among the best starters iirc.

#707 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 21,908 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:03

And its not reaction time, but time from lights out to the car has travelled 500m or something?

#708 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:09

Yeah I'm a Lewis hater, didn't you know?  :rolleyes:

Seriously though, while Lewis not giving up and continuing to try different things and it working certainly shows determination, skill and experience, the fact that he was nowhere all weekend - P1, P2, P3, Q1, Q2 and suddenly in Q3 finds a breakthrough certainly seems like an element of luck involved there.

The problem you're having is that you can't reconcile the fact that both skill and luck can be involved. Seems to me that you prefer simple one dimensional narratives, yes?

Not once did I accuse you of being a Lewis hater, not at all. I simply pointed out that you can't have him being lucky to find pace and performance in one breath, yet in the next acknowledge it was down to his skill and experience... It has nothing to do with a one dimensional narrative it has everything to do with those two statements not sitting properly together. You say yourself he worked on trying different settings and lines etc over each session until he found a place where he was able to get the pace out of the car. How is that lucky?

In the end it is pointless anyway, Lewis got over the line first as a result of being the better man come race day.

Edited by alframsey, 14 April 2019 - 18:15.

#709 geralt

geralt

• 763 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:14

Silverstone, Austin.

AMuS mentioned such a GPS-based ranking in 2016. Surprisingly it had both Merc drivers among the best starters iirc.

Huh, that probably explains why it's not commonly used. It doesn't sound remotely accurate =Hamilton was considered to have had good starts in 2016

#710 TheFish

TheFish

• 619 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:19

Lewis has won 53 of the 103 hybrid era races.

Simply incredible. He's the GOAT.

#711 OO7

OO7

• 19,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:24

In all seriousness, no driver is invincible or perfect. Lewis is quite clearly the best all-round driver in the series at the moment. And right now, he is just as good as any of the other great drivers who have driven in F1 over the past 30-40 years ago. That's good enough in its own right. 

Piss off Arthur. 

I was looking forward to correcting him on that. 

Glad I could spoil your fun.

BTW, concentrate on correcting your taste in 'women' sennasnan.

#712 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 2,290 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:29

Glad I could spoil your fun.

BTW, concentrate on correcting your taste in 'women' sennasnan.

tenor.gif?itemid=4672608

That was Savage....007..... :rotfl:

#713 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,840 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:35

In terms of driver performance, he did everything right in 2017, it just didn't work out because of the headrest coming loose.

Weekends include headrests!

#714 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:39

Agree, the way he let Hamilton by in Bahrain was telling.

lool that was a genuine overtake. When they showed onboard footage Bottas really didn't leave him alot of space and could of clipped Lewis's tyre easily but hey hoe.

#715 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:43

Huh, that probably explains why it's not commonly used. It doesn't sound remotely accurate =Hamilton was considered to have had good starts in 2016

Hamilton's starts werent that bad in 2016 though, the entire field struggled that year, including Rosberg. For some reason the narrative ended up being established that his starts costed him the title, probably because that was his biggest "weakness" that year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And its not reaction time, but time from lights out to the car has travelled 500m or something?

Yeah, its basically until some point in the acceleration phase at least.

#716 robefc

robefc

• 12,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:53

Outside of the headline times, his pace was fine. Faster Mercedes in FP1. Fastest in FP2 and FP3 on the Medium tyre runs.
He made very clear mistakes at turn 6 in FP3 and Q2, and his comments through the weekend helped to shape the "struggling" narrative.

Whether this is Lewis land or not doesn’t affect the timing information that was and is readily available.

Although in fairness Bottas seems to have a skewed idea of the second stint too.

#717 CL16

CL16

• 1,139 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:55

The beard is fake news

Hamilton’s had a beard for nearly 10 years now.

#718 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,810 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 21:55

congratulations to lewis and Tiger woods.

im hoping the next race is alot more exciting tho.

#719 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:22

What do we make of Bottas excuse that the start/finish line paint somehow ruined his start and that lost him the race? 

Like the plastic bag, this sounds like someone grasping at straws a bit. When Lewis didn't have good starts, he just said he did a terrible job at that and that he needs to improve his game in that regard.

I mean I don't mind drivers sharing these things. It just feels like a stretch. It's quite obvious now that the quality of starts between teammates varies from race to race. I'm not even convinced it's so much down to skill or practice. It seems kinda random to me, sometimes you start well and other times, not so much.

Advertisement

#720 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:32

Really glad Merc hasn't had to use any team orders so far. Some of that stuff seen by Ferrari really reminded me of the awkwardness I really don't miss. 

#721 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,974 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:36

From what I heard him say in the cool down room I think he was suggesting that it made his already poor start that bit worse rather than the paint ruining his start, although the fact that he got more wheelspin than Lewis at all sealed his fate for him and was a bigger factor than anything else. Possible that it can be made a little worse if you catch wheel spin at the time you're crossing the paint, no doubt there's less grip than the tarmac.

But yeah, for a change he got off to a duff start and Lewis did the opposite. Quite a few of Lewis' loses to his teammates over the years have been down to his poor starts. Certainly makes his own life harder by undoing his brilliant work on a Saturday. But then most of us love to see him work for his wins more than cruising in the lead from start to finish.

#722 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:42

From what I heard him say in the cool down room I think he was suggesting that it made his already poor start that bit worse rather than the paint ruining his start, although the fact that he got more wheelspin than Lewis at all sealed his fate for him and was a bigger factor than anything else. Possible that it can be made a little worse if you catch wheel spin at the time you're crossing the paint, no doubt there's less grip than the tarmac.

I see, I was going by this quote: 

"It was a shame about the start, I got a bit of wheelspin when I went on the white line, the start/finish line that was just after my box. I lost it there.”

Makes it sound as if he's painting himself as the victim of track paint which... well sorry that's a bit much.

In reality he could never get close to Lewis all race, despite profiting from the "undercut". He just didn't have the pace.

Edited by beachdrifter, 14 April 2019 - 22:42.

#723 ZZei

ZZei

• 572 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 23:56

This thread is pretty pathetic to read really. Bottas gets so much hate here its almost comical. Apparently he was just going for the glory in Australia and it was unnecessary to leave such a big gap to Lewis. Like why would you even want an extra point for the fastest lap. According to the same people, Lewis could have pulled the same gap today, when in reality their pace was pretty similar. Of course Lewis as the leading car was managing the gap, as he knows its his teammate behind. Just as well Bottas knows that there's no point in following your teammate too close unless you can actually overtake him without destroying your tires. The start pretty much determined how the race went, and thats why Bottas was looking for reasons why got such a bad one. Now people are even analyzing his statements word by word, looking for anything to make him look like a bad loser. 

What I'm trying to say, you dont have to undermine Bottas just to make Lewis look better. Lewis is doing that all by himself. One narrative I read this weekend goes something like "ooh, Lewis had a shitty setup on friday but still managed to beat his teammate, who was on it all weekend, this proves Lewis is the most talented guy ever to touch a steering wheel". I know this post might come across a little bitter, but seriously, if you read the last few pages here, someone needs to pump the brakes a little. 

Edited by ZZei, 14 April 2019 - 23:58.

#724 paulb

paulb

• 6,863 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 00:00

kudos to the team for the phenomenal double pit stop. it was perfection for all involved.

#725 tigerbalm

tigerbalm

• 123 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 00:33

Nope.. Lewis is just not a clown like Bottas was in Australia and didn't pull a stupid gap. He was reading the situation and like Seb and Max do as well from the lead, they manage the pace and race. People are just to naive to accept that is how leads are run in long life Power Units and fragile tires. Drivers 1 - 2 -3 get its equally important to save your PU as it is to push. stay close enough to be there is the lead driver cooks a corner but not enough to stress your engine unneedily. The passing deltas are too huge when outside of DRS that impossible typically to pass the lead driver. Bottas is too immature to realize that in Aus. and just went for it.

Bottas wanted to make a statement (well had to really and truly given the chatter over the winter and Ocon). He got that opportunity in the first race, and he took it. Some may argue it was immature of him as he could‘ve put his entire race at risk if there was a safety car. I see if differently, at a minimum Bottas is driving for his seat this season, and if he loses it, a seat at another team. He’s human, and was, and continues to feel the pressure. Aus was the release of emotions from the 2018 season and winter. I suspect there will be more “statement” drives by Bottas in the future. Aus wouldn’t be the last of them

#726 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:19

Bottas wanted to make a statement (well had to really and truly given the chatter over the winter and Ocon). He got that opportunity in the first race, and he took it. Some may argue it was immature of him as he could‘ve put his entire race at risk if there was a safety car. I see if differently, at a minimum Bottas is driving for his seat this season, and if he loses it, a seat at another team. He’s human, and was, and continues to feel the pressure. Aus was the release of emotions from the 2018 season and winter. I suspect there will be more “statement” drives by Bottas in the future. Aus wouldn’t be the last of them

And a message back to the team "im fine, just pacing the race" wouldn't have done the same thing, they'd see it in they data traces confirming his throttle position and engine modes..  Nailing the fastest lap is fine for last glory run but the rest was just showboating.. much prefer how Lewis, Max and Seb handle their leads.

Edited by Paco, 15 April 2019 - 02:19.

#727 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,504 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:27

GOAT - Greatest Of All Time - can't say

GOHT - Greatest Of His Time - well yes but then again GOHT isn't really a word so it doesn't even mean anything.

#728 teejay

teejay

• 5,718 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:59

He is one of the greats no matter what is said - greatest of all time, especially in a sport with ever changing rules is just an incredibly hard one to resolve. 

Either way, he keeps winning, 75 and counting. 

#729 Hephaistos

Hephaistos

• 284 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:16

This thread is pretty pathetic to read really. Bottas gets so much hate here its almost comical. Apparently he was just going for the glory in Australia and it was unnecessary to leave such a big gap to Lewis. Like why would you even want an extra point for the fastest lap. According to the same people, Lewis could have pulled the same gap today, when in reality their pace was pretty similar. Of course Lewis as the leading car was managing the gap, as he knows its his teammate behind. Just as well Bottas knows that there's no point in following your teammate too close unless you can actually overtake him without destroying your tires. The start pretty much determined how the race went, and thats why Bottas was looking for reasons why got such a bad one. Now people are even analyzing his statements word by word, looking for anything to make him look like a bad loser.

What I'm trying to say, you dont have to undermine Bottas just to make Lewis look better. Lewis is doing that all by himself. One narrative I read this weekend goes something like "ooh, Lewis had a shitty setup on friday but still managed to beat his teammate, who was on it all weekend, this proves Lewis is the most talented guy ever to touch a steering wheel". I know this post might come across a little bitter, but seriously, if you read the last few pages here, someone needs to pump the brakes a little.

I'm a Hamilton fan but I very much agree with this. Bottas drove brilliantly in Australia and lost in China at the start. So far this year there has been no good getaways from pole. They all lost a position.

#730 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,340 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:32

This thread is pretty pathetic to read really. Bottas gets so much hate here its almost comical. Apparently he was just going for the glory in Australia and it was unnecessary to leave such a big gap to Lewis. Like why would you even want an extra point for the fastest lap. According to the same people, Lewis could have pulled the same gap today, when in reality their pace was pretty similar. Of course Lewis as the leading car was managing the gap, as he knows its his teammate behind. Just as well Bottas knows that there's no point in following your teammate too close unless you can actually overtake him without destroying your tires. The start pretty much determined how the race went, and thats why Bottas was looking for reasons why got such a bad one. Now people are even analyzing his statements word by word, looking for anything to make him look like a bad loser. 

I doubt you’ll find many posters here that dislike Bottas, so not sure what’s triggering you. A lot of Ham fans were really happy for him after Australia and also praised him for his practice and qually form. Not sure where you are seeing any hate?

There’s a fair amount of thread banter but it’s always in good spirits and the regular Bottas fans who post (RECKLESS, Tomerell) would probably agree with this. I never feel the need to bash Bottas or any other driver to boost Lewis. He’s incredible on his own merits. 

#731 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:17

I dont think that Bottas drove unnecessarly quick to prove anything, his team would slow him down if it was too much. As Vettel accussed him of, it looked more like Hamilton drove intentionally slower than he normally would have.

#732 Huffer

Huffer

• 1,023 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:51

What do we make of Bottas excuse that the start/finish line paint somehow ruined his start and that lost him the race? 

I'm in two minds about this - I know that normally paint markings on roads have a much lower friction coefficient than tarmac - and we see this on the painted kerbs sometimes in races, where the imbalance in friction can cause a driver to have a bit of a moment. But the kerbs tend to be made of concrete or some sort of rubber/plastic composite, so that could be the bigger factor rather than them being painted.

And apparently, the painted markings on the track don't have much of a difference in friction compared to the rest of the track tarmac. 

I really don't know - Bottas doesn't strike me as the sort of person to make excuses for doing something wrong and there's enough reason for him to think that some external factor was the issue, even if it's not the case. I think the key thing here is not to judge him on one race and see how he behaves over the season.

It can't be easy though - Bottas seemed to start the season on a high, with a new mind set helping out, and it was as if he thought that this would be his year after the win in Aus. And now, it doesn't seem as if the season is going to be as clear cut as he had originally thought. In fact, it could turn to be the opposite.

#733 peroa

peroa

• 10,417 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:02

I dont think that Bottas drove unnecessarly quick to prove anything, his team would slow him down if it was too much. As Vettel accussed him of, it looked more like Hamilton drove intentionally slower than he normally would have.

Bottas got into the perfect groove in AUS, I don't think he ever had as consistent race pace as he had that afternoon.

#734 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,092 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:27

But yeah, for a change he got off to a duff start and Lewis did the opposite. Quite a few of Lewis' loses to his teammates over the years have been down to his poor starts. Certainly makes his own life harder by undoing his brilliant work on a Saturday. But then most of us love to see him work for his wins more than cruising in the lead from start to finish.

According to Edd Straw Lewis laid down a lot of rubber on the formation lap. Imagine Bottas wished he had done the same!

#735 Piif

Piif

• 1,323 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:38

I lol'ed.

It should be "Lewis wife" followed by a "He doesn't know yet"  :rotfl:  

Concubine more likely.

#736 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,819 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:03

Makes it sound as if he's painting himself as the victim of track paint which... well sorry that's a bit much.

Nah. He never accused anything but himself for having wheelspin. But wheelspin on paint is even worse than wheelspin on tarmac. It's a marginal thing, and a side comment, blown out of proportion here.

#737 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,819 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:07

Kudos Lewis.

Game over for Valtteri with the bad start. Both didn't put a foot wrong in the race. Would've been more exciting race if Valtteri had made a better start though.

But the Merc duo at the moment are looking mighty. Might make some new records if this year keeps rolling as it has started.

#738 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,840 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:30

According to Edd Straw Lewis laid down a lot of rubber on the formation lap. Imagine Bottas wished he had done the same!

Mark Hughes also noticed this.

#739 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 1,554 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:56

I know this post might come across a little bitter, but seriously, if you read the last few pages here, someone needs to pump the brakes a little.

We have been pumping the breaks since we first saw him over 12 years ago, he's five times champion now and widely acknowledged as the best all round in F1 (and in the discussion for the best ever), when are we allowed to celebrate his greatness? 😊😊

Edited by cheekybru, 15 April 2019 - 09:58.

Advertisement

#740 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,062 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:36

I doubt you’ll find many posters here that dislike Bottas, so not sure what’s triggering you. A lot of Ham fans were really happy for him after Australia and also praised him for his practice and qually form. Not sure where you are seeing any hate?

There’s a fair amount of thread banter but it’s always in good spirits and the regular Bottas fans who post (RECKLESS, Tomerell) would probably agree with this. I never feel the need to bash Bottas or any other driver to boost Lewis. He’s incredible on his own merits. 

Of course you wont hate him, he is after all Lewis best ever team mate. Slower pace and like most Finnish drivers very easy to get along with.That's why all the 'clued up' Lewis fans want him to remain Lewis team mate. They know right now Lewis can't have it any better. Would you want Bottas gone and replaced by say Max? Would you heck!     ;)

For the rest of the F1 fans they want Max, DR or even hot headed Ocon who is no push over to replace Bottas.

#741 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:38

Of course you wont hate him, he is after all Lewis best ever team mate. Slower pace and like most Finnish drivers very easy to get along with.That's why all the 'clued up' Lewis fans want him to remain Lewis team mate. They know right now Lewis can't have it any better. Would you want Bottas gone and replaced by say Max? Would you heck!  ;)

For the rest of the F1 fans they want Max, DR or even hot headed Ocon who is no push over to replace Bottas.

Werent you a few days ago convinced that Bottas will put up a proper challenge? whatever happened to that :p

#742 ZZei

ZZei

• 572 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:55

We have been pumping the breaks since we first saw him over 12 years ago, he's five times champion now and widely acknowledged as the best all round in F1 (and in the discussion for the best ever), when are we allowed to celebrate his greatness?

Sure, never did I say you can't do that   ;) My post might have been a little overreaction to a few certain posters who live in an alternate universe where for example driving away from your teammate who clearly has issues is seen as showboating and not mature driving. As if Bottas couldn't match or even beat Lewis on an even playground, like he did on quite many weekends at the start of last season. For sure his performances after he dropped out of the title fight were disappointing to say the least, but that just might have been a combination of him breaking down mentally, Lewis upping his game etc. 

#743 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,062 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:58

Werent you a few days ago convinced that Bottas will put up a proper challenge? whatever happened to that :p

Of course he will and as you can see he is fired up :p Also, I will not discount his chances of winning the WDC too. Lewis may very well have PU issues during the season which could take the fight to the wire. I am still not convinced this is going to be another 2017/2018 season. 

#744 Hephaistos

Hephaistos

• 284 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:00

Yeah I'm a Lewis hater, didn't you know? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, while Lewis not giving up and continuing to try different things and it working certainly shows determination, skill and experience, the fact that he was nowhere all weekend - P1, P2, P3, Q1, Q2 and suddenly in Q3 finds a breakthrough certainly seems like an element of luck involved there.

The problem you're having is that you can't reconcile the fact that both skill and luck can be involved. Seems to me that you prefer simple one dimensional narratives, yes?

The thing is, they do that during the entire weekend till Q3. Although, depending on the car, some will find the right balance earlier, it just happened that Lewis found it later (Q2 actually not Q3). I don't see luck there.

#745 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,762 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 13:36

Not once did I accuse you of being a Lewis hater, not at all. I simply pointed out that you can't have him being lucky to find pace and performance in one breath, yet in the next acknowledge it was down to his skill and experience... It has nothing to do with a one dimensional narrative it has everything to do with those two statements not sitting properly together. You say yourself he worked on trying different settings and lines etc over each session until he found a place where he was able to get the pace out of the car. How is that lucky?

In the end it is pointless anyway, Lewis got over the line first as a result of being the better man come race day.

I fully agree the better man won.

So you don't think its possible for outcomes where both skill and luck are involved? Only one or the other for you, eh?

#746 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,434 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 13:49

btw: did the Mercboys even try for fastst lap? Bottas maybe, but was stuck in traffic. Lewis didn't even try, but why?

#747 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:11

btw: did the Mercboys even try for fastst lap? Bottas maybe, but was stuck in traffic. Lewis didn't even try, but why?

Either because they didn't feel they had the necessary pace on those tyres anymore (Vettel set the fastest lap right after getting new tyres that only Gasly beat at the last second with fresh tyres), or because they didn't think it's worth it (risk, strain on engine) when you're already 1-2.

#748 noriaki

noriaki

• 1,212 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:20

As a Bottas fan I have thought 90% of you Hamilton/Mercedes fans on the thread are sometimes more fair on him & the criticism - which there's plenty of, just re read last year's Singapore or Abu Dhabi threads for example - largely comes from those who are fans of neither.

But to post in this thread is usually not really inviting for me either because it overwhelmingly feels like a thread only for hyperboling Lewis fans and Reckless.

Though I guess it could be even worse tune: the other Red Bull driver

Edited by noriaki, 15 April 2019 - 14:21.

#749 Ickx

Ickx

• 828 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:22

Either because they didn't feel they had the necessary pace on those tyres anymore (Vettel set the fastest lap right after getting new tyres that only Gasly beat at the last second with fresh tyres), or because they didn't think it's worth it (risk, strain on engine) when you're already 1-2.

If I remember correctly Lewis set a personal best after the last stop. Bottas came out behind Leclerc. 

#750 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:22

Possibly, but it could also be that the Mercedes F1 car is the GOAT.