Photo
* * * - - 11 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
8039 replies to this topic

#751 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:30

If I remember correctly Lewis set a personal best after the last stop. Bottas came out behind Leclerc. 

What I mean is going for the fastest lap at the end of the race. That's where Bottas got his (without making an additional stop), and Gasly, too (with an additional pitstop).

In Bahrain it wasn't possible because the last laps were under safety car. 

Edited by beachdrifter, 15 April 2019 - 14:32.

Advertisement

#752 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:43

A bit worrying that Bottas was again unable to bring the fight to Hamilton in the race, especially if this continues to shape like theirs might be the only fight for the WDC there's going to be this year. Can Bottas realistically only hope to score as many second places as possible and Hamilton encountering some kind of problem?

#753 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,745 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 15:12

What I mean is going for the fastest lap at the end of the race. That's where Bottas got his (without making an additional stop), and Gasly, too (with an additional pitstop).

In Bahrain it wasn't possible because the last laps were under safety car.

There is very little tyre deg in Melbourne, so I assume it's more likely to set quick times there with old but managed tyres+empty tank than with 20kg fuel+new tyres. The opposite is probably true for Shanghai.

Barcelona will probably be like Shanghai. And Baku/Monaco more like Melbourne.

#754 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,023 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 15:20

A bit worrying that Bottas was again unable to bring the fight to Hamilton in the race, especially if this continues to shape like theirs might be the only fight for the WDC there's going to be this year. Can Bottas realistically only hope to score as many second places as possible and Hamilton encountering some kind of problem?

The Bahrain result made people think MERC = Williams 1992, Bahrain should be Ferrari's win, far too soon to talk about a intra team battle only for the title.

#755 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 15:47

As a Bottas fan I have thought 90% of you Hamilton/Mercedes fans on the thread are sometimes more fair on him & the criticism - which there's plenty of, just re read last year's Singapore or Abu Dhabi threads for example - largely comes from those who are fans of neither.

But to post in this thread is usually not really inviting for me either because it overwhelmingly feels like a thread only for hyperboling Lewis fans and Reckless.

Though I guess it could be even worse tune: the other Red Bull driver

You should have been here in 2014-16 when it was Riverside vs the world.  :rotfl:

Certainly post more though, the thread could use more balance and RECKLESS needs a buddy..

#756 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 15:51

Of course you wont hate him, he is after all Lewis best ever team mate. Slower pace and like most Finnish drivers very easy to get along with.That's why all the 'clued up' Lewis fans want him to remain Lewis team mate. They know right now Lewis can't have it any better. Would you want Bottas gone and replaced by say Max? Would you heck!     ;)

For the rest of the F1 fans they want Max, DR or even hot headed Ocon who is no push over to replace Bottas.

I don't mind Lewis having a fast team mate, as long as they aren't d**ks. 

I would very much welcome DR at Merc actually, because I like him, think he's a very fair racer, and is fast with a great reputation. Lewis would smash him though.

#757 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,023 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 17:00

Lewis supports my view:

“I’m just not sure [Ferrari] has really hooked up a proper solid weekend just yet. I’m not really sure where they are losing out but they’re gaining something like 0.4sec on the straights but losing out on corners so it will be interesting to see how long they adopt that strategy in the coming races but there are still so many races where their car will perhaps outshine ours. They’ve still got the shorter car than ours so it might work better in some other places that we’re going to but it’s a little bit early to say. Definitely three 1-2s is a little bit above what… I think we’re over-delivering a little.”

#758 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,679 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 17:08

Not even in the prime of force (2014-2016), we got a so strong start results wise.

A very competitive team, car and drivers working in a high level and delivering the goods.

#759 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:00

Wow!  :eek:

Cerebral Hamilton makes Ultron look like an Amstrad 6128 Plus!

You can never count Lewis Hamilton out. The world champion was off the pace all weekend - two tenths off the best time in Practice One, seven tenths off in P2, and eighth tenths off in P3. But for qualifying, the ever-intuitive Hamilton changed his driving style and pulled a final lap out of the bag to finish just 0.023s slower than Valtteri Bottas.   On Sunday, Hamilton eliminated another potential weakness - his starts - and aced the getaway to lead his team-mate into Turn One. From there, as we have seen so many times before, Hamilton would not be beaten, comfortably extending his advantage over his team-mate and the Ferraris.

https://www.skysport...-driver-ratings

Advertisement

#760 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,830 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:04

Q: How much work have you done on the starts since the start of the season? LH: No more than I did in the previous year – but it clearly is an area that I’ve struggled with and it’s not like it’s only this year: it’s been something I’ve struggled with over the years – 2016, you could say, was one of the worst. Probably back in 2007, 2008 was also really poor period of time for starts, particularly against the Ferraris who were very, very strong with it. Last year was actually a really strong year for me. I think I just finished second overall of quickest starts throughout the year to, I think it was Carlos Sainz or something like that. Arguably it was first – but it’s dependent on the GPS! The first few races have been difficult for me off the line, so it’s nice to finally kind of redeem myself and rectify that. Naturally the next 18 races can still be up and down – just have to keep working at it.

Anyone know what data Lewis Hamilton is referring to here? Is the start speed data from last year publicly available?

#761 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:08

I don't mind Lewis having a fast team mate, as long as they aren't d**ks. 

I would very much welcome DR at Merc actually, because I like him, think he's a very fair racer, and is fast with a great reputation. Lewis would smash him though.

I see you left you left out Max from the conversation. Good Jedi thinking there   ;)

#762 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,679 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:11

I see you left you left out Max from the conversation. Good Jedi thinking there   ;)

What part of d**cks you didn't read?

#763 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:14

What part of d**cks you didn't read?

He is such a d--k Merc are desperate to get him  :drunk:

#764 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,679 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:17

He is such a d--k Merc are desperate to get him  :drunk:

Desperate is too a strong word.

He maybe get his chance when King retires.

#765 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:32

Desperate is too a strong word.

He maybe get his chance when King retires.

If Max approaches Merc and says he wants to drive for the team in 2021 but Lewis has to go. They wont renew Lewis contract.  I know this is not what many want to hear but it makes perfect sense for Merc because with Max they have a driver who is not only going to get better but can still race at a competitive level for the next 15 years unlike Lewis who at most can give them an extra 2 years.. This is about longevity and Merc are desperate to bag him if they get the chance - explains why Toto is always on the phone with Jos. 

Btw who are you going to support when Lewis leaves F1? 

#766 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 771 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:46

If Max approaches Merc and says he wants to drive for the team in 2021 but Lewis has to go. They wont renew Lewis contract.  I know this is not what many want to hear but it makes perfect sense for Merc because with Max they have a driver who is not only going to get better but can still race at a competitive level for the next 15 years unlike Lewis who at most can give them an extra 2 years.. This is about longevity and Merc are desperate to bag him if they get the chance - explains why Toto is always on the phone with Jos. 

What a load of bullsh1t. We dont even know how many years Merc is gonna stay in F1 as a works team. They easily could just pull the plug in 2021 because it could be really hard for them to continue winning year after year. But nevermind that, your assumption that they will get rid of Lewis when he could very well equal MS's 7 WDC if Max just wanna come along is mind-blowing. 

#767 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,830 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:47

Your kidding right?  Lewis can do whatever he likes in 2021. Lewis isn't going anywhere unless he hangs up his own helmet. 

At the end of the day, Max isn't going to Ferrari with Leclerc, so Merc control the driver market. Red Bull probably won't beat Mercedes over a full season in this power unit era, so there really isn't a motivation to grab Max for fear that he will be in a different team capable of winning the world championship. When Lewis leaves on his own accord, Max will be the one calling Mercedes.

Edited by ARTGP, 15 April 2019 - 18:48.

#768 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,745 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:49

People who are friends for a long time calling each other. Shock horror D:

Then again it's coming from the same person who thinks that Max is already the greatest ever, so no surprise :p

Though it's not impossible that this scenario (not that Max can demand him to go, that's hilarious, but that Merc opts future over present) could happen: same supposedly happened to Schumacher after all, I doubt that it will though, it seems like the Verstappens are very careful about this, and as of now Hamilton is the class of the field

Edited by Marklar, 15 April 2019 - 18:51.

#769 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 19:10

What a load of bullsh1t. We dont even know how many years Merc is gonna stay in F1 as a works team. They easily could just pull the plug in 2021 because it could be really hard for them to continue winning year after year. But nevermind that, your assumption that they will get rid of Lewis when he could very well equal MS's 7 WDC if Max just wanna come along is mind-blowing. 

Why would Merc quit? People seem to forget they have been in F1 for decades as they owned 40% of McLaren. They are going nowhere even if they dont dominate because they know how to win and will be up for the challenge. Regarding Lewis,  if the trend continues and Lewis wins 2019 and 2020 he will equal MS. That will be enough for him and Merc. Their priority for Merc is long term and Max fits that. Oh and Lewis seemed to do an about turn regarding FE. He sounded interested in it now that Merc are joining. I am sure he will love to be the biggest star there and take Merc FE to new heights. 

Your kidding right?  Lewis can do whatever he likes in 2021. Lewis isn't going anywhere unless he hangs up his own helmet. 

At the end of the day, Max isn't going to Ferrari with Leclerc, so Merc control the driver market. Red Bull probably won't beat Mercedes over a full season in this power unit era, so there really isn't a motivation to grab Max for fear that he will be in a different team capable of winning the world championship. When Lewis leaves on his own accord, Max will be the one calling Mercedes.

Lewis is not going anywhere but he might not want to stay in Merc if Max is his team mate. He has more to lose with Max being his team mate. Best to leave at the top then risk being beaten by Max. Schumi did the smart thing with Kimi but dented his legacy by coming back. And Merc don't control the market because Ferrari will snap up Max, leclerc or no Leclerc - they will just make Leclerc his number 2 like Massa was to Alonso. 

#770 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 19:19

People who are friends for a long time calling each other. Shock horror D:

Then again it's coming from the same person who thinks that Max is already the greatest ever, so no surprise :p

Though it's not impossible that this scenario (not that Max can demand him to go, that's hilarious, but that Merc opts future over present) could happen: same supposedly happened to Schumacher after all, I doubt that it will though, it seems like the Verstappens are very careful about this, and as of now Hamilton is the class of the field

Marko knows what Toto has been discussing with Jos and it's not just friendly chats. And of course Max wont make demands on Merc for Lewis to leave but my point is if they had a choice between Max and Lewis they will pick Max simply for long term value. How is that hard for some people to understand. This has nothing to do with Lewis ability or Max being better than Lewis.

Lest we forget Lewis is a driver who every year gives suggestions he might quit F1 soon and cant guarantee 4 years commitment nor are we certain he will be at his peak for the next 4 years. I tell you who can..... Max. 

#771 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 771 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 19:46

Why would Merc quit? People seem to forget they have been in F1 for decades as they owned 40% of McLaren. They are going nowhere even if they dont dominate because they know how to win and will be up for the challenge. Regarding Lewis,  if the trend continues and Lewis wins 2019 and 2020 he will equal MS. That will be enough for him and Merc. Their priority for Merc is long term and Max fits that. Oh and Lewis seemed to do an about turn regarding FE. He sounded interested in it now that Merc are joining. I am sure he will love to be the biggest star there and take Merc FE to new heights. 

Lewis is not going anywhere but he might not want to stay in Merc if Max is his team mate. He has more to lose with Max being his team mate. Best to leave at the top then risk being beaten by Max. Schumi did the smart thing with Kimi but dented his legacy by coming back. And Merc don't control the market because Ferrari will snap up Max, leclerc or no Leclerc - they will just make Leclerc his number 2 like Massa was to Alonso. 

Marko knows what Toto has been discussing with Jos and it's not just friendly chats. And of course Max wont make demands on Merc for Lewis to leave but my point is if they had a choice between Max and Lewis they will pick Max simply for long term value. How is that hard for some people to understand. This has nothing to do with Lewis ability or Max being better than Lewis.

Lest we forget Lewis is a driver who every year gives suggestions he might quit F1 soon and cant guarantee 4 years commitment nor are we certain he will be at his peak for the next 4 years. I tell you who can..... Max. 

1st of all Merc was in F1 for years just as an engine supplier. They could go back to that, without pumping hunders of millions into an work team.

2nd you just talk out of arse, like you would know what Lewis wants. He could quit this year, or the next or be in F1 for another 5 years. He doesnt know it, so I'd say you got no clue. 

3rd I bet my house Lewis will not ever join FE.

4th F1 is about skill and talent but it's also about opportunities at the right time. Ferrari has Charles, Merc could very well wait a few more years till Lewis decides it's time to quit and take the next big star coming and Max could be stuck in a winless RedBull.

You never know what future looks like so stop making your fantasies some sort of reality.

#772 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 19:56

Wow!  :eek:

Cerebral Hamilton makes Ultron look like an Amstrad 6128 Plus!

https://www.skysport...-driver-ratings

But he is not as cerebral as schumi :lol:

#773 sabjit

sabjit

• 1,759 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 20:43

Sunny is trolling guys, don't feed him.

#774 Hela

Hela

• 606 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 20:58

Sunny is trolling guys, don't feed him.

Yep, ignore the comments and watch them slither back where they came from :)

#775 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 771 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 21:11

Yeah, a little late I saw in the Rbr thread that he expects Gasly to out qualify Max in Baku. Should've saw it coming  :stoned:

#776 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:27

1st of all Merc was in F1 for years just as an engine supplier. They could go back to that, without pumping hunders of millions into an work team.

2nd you just talk out of arse, like you would know what Lewis wants. He could quit this year, or the next or be in F1 for another 5 years. He doesnt know it, so I'd say you got no clue. 

3rd I bet my house Lewis will not ever join FE.

4th F1 is about skill and talent but it's also about opportunities at the right time. Ferrari has Charles, Merc could very well wait a few more years till Lewis decides it's time to quit and take the next big star coming and Max could be stuck in a winless RedBull.

You never know what future looks like so stop making your fantasies some sort of reality.

1 - Wrong - Merc was not just an engine supplier but owned 40% of McLaren, they  wanted to buy the whole team but Ron and co refused to sell.

2 & 3 -  I am talking out of my arse like I know what Lewis wants? Ironic contradiction since you state you opinion like a fact regarding what Lewis decision on FE will be.  Funny last  week Lewis said "Formula E in now the going to be the future, so who knows, in the future that's maybe an area where I can use my skills"  I wonder who is the one talking out of their arse  :stoned:

4- Ferrari have Leclerc just like they had Massa. If Max is free Ferrari will snap him up just like they snapped up Alonso. As for Merc, they are not going to plan their future around Lewis and hold off signing Max if the opportunity presents it self. If Max approached Merc It's madness to think Merc will say to Max "Oh well Max we cant sign you because we are unsure what Lewis wants, lets just wait for a few more years"  :lol: Get real! If Ferrari could sign Kimi in 2007 regardless what Schumi's decision was - whats to stop Merc doing this regarding Lewis?  

#777 P123

P123

• 16,151 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:51

That's something for Merc to worry about, but I'd say they are a year or two away from having sleepless nights about drivers.

#778 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 771 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 17:07

1 - Wrong - Merc was not just an engine supplier but owned 40% of McLaren, they  wanted to buy the whole team but Ron and co refused to sell.

2 & 3 -  I am talking out of my arse like I know what Lewis wants? Ironic contradiction since you state you opinion like a fact regarding what Lewis decision on FE will be.  Funny last  week Lewis said "Formula E in now the going to be the future, so who knows, in the future that's maybe an area where I can use my skills"  I wonder who is the one talking out of their arse  :stoned:

4- Ferrari have Leclerc just like they had Massa. If Max is free Ferrari will snap him up just like they snapped up Alonso. As for Merc, they are not going to plan their future around Lewis and hold off signing Max if the opportunity presents it self. If Max approached Merc It's madness to think Merc will say to Max "Oh well Max we cant sign you because we are unsure what Lewis wants, lets just wait for a few more years"  :lol: Get real! If Ferrari could sign Kimi in 2007 regardless what Schumi's decision was - whats to stop Merc doing this regarding Lewis?  

Dude, you got no clue how this work. They had 40% of McLaren by buying shares in the team. They didnt invest money year after year in making the car like they do now. It's a difference from sky to earth.

Lewis hyping FE when his employer Mercedes just invested in a team in this c'ship. WOW.. welcome to the real world. 

Dunno about this Massa vs Leclerc, cause Massa was actually good until his accident. But I guess you are just trying to have a go at Leclerc.

So, as you say.. either Mercedes and Ferrari would bring the moon to earth if only, just only, Max would sign for them. Oh boy, Max must be the 2nd Jesus on earth. Can he walk on water?

I really hope you're just trolling because other wise you are just making a fool of yourself.

#779 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,023 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 17:15

Lewis is ''old'', but Kimi and Alonso are not. Not buying it, his body looks better than the other drivers in the cool down room.

Edited by SonGoku, 16 April 2019 - 17:15.

Advertisement

#780 Hela

Hela

• 606 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 17:51

Lewis is ''old'', but Kimi and Alonso are not. Not buying it, his body looks better than the other drivers in the cool down room.

So you do sneak a peek at his "bod" :)

#781 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,679 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 19:08

Lewis-Hamilton-Tommy-Hilfiger-002.jpg

Chassis is good.

Edited by Boxerevo, 16 April 2019 - 19:10.

#782 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:03

Wolff: 

"[For] after 2020 we will first discuss with Valtteri and Lewis, and once that decision is taken, we'll turn to the paddock. But hopefully the line-up stays forever."

https://www.motorspo...rcedes/4372244/

#783 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:43

Dude, you got no clue how this work. They had 40% of McLaren by buying shares in the team. They didnt invest money year after year in making the car like they do now. It's a difference from sky to earth.

Lewis hyping FE when his employer Mercedes just invested in a team in this c'ship. WOW.. welcome to the real world. 

Dunno about this Massa vs Leclerc, cause Massa was actually good until his accident. But I guess you are just trying to have a go at Leclerc.

So, as you say.. either Mercedes and Ferrari would bring the moon to earth if only, just only, Max would sign for them. Oh boy, Max must be the 2nd Jesus on earth. Can he walk on water?

I really hope you're just trolling because other wise you are just making a fool of yourself.

Now you are getting desperate. So Merc investing 40% in McLaren and wanting to buy the rest of the McLaren team is not an indication that they had a long term interesting in F1?    :stoned:   

And you are just being silly trying to insinuate that Lewis comments about being interested in FE where just PR. He is his own person and is under no obligation to say he has any interest in FE just because Merc are going to field a car next year. I can see him being interested in FE maybe even being a stakeholder in Merc  FE team if opportunity presents itself. 

Give up AmonGods you are getting pretty heated up, not my fault you cant the beat facts and perfectly logical examples presented to you.   ;)

#784 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,745 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:49

Just a few months ago Hamilton was making jokes about Formula E being too slow and not loud enough. Of course his latest comments are PR.

Facts and logical examples, eh? :p

#785 Piif

Piif

• 1,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:11

Lewis-Hamilton-Tommy-Hilfiger-002.jpg

Chassis is good.

Can not unsee.  :(  :well:  :confused:

#786 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,506 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 13:18

Just a few months ago Hamilton was making jokes about Formula E being too slow and not loud enough. Of course his latest comments are PR.

I agree in the past he has been 100% against FE, Indycar, WEC, etc.

But recently his tune has changed slightly, as has his overall attitude to racing. Just my opinion!

When he started F1 it was his entire life. He was moulded to become an F1 driver. As soon as he broke out of that mould (2011-) he became an anti-F1 driver, and has been ever since.

But since the second half of last season, I feel like he's coming back towards his older self. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's tried everything he wants to, and has realised that racing is his true passion. Every interview I read/watch, every social media post... He seems to be more engaged. It's only a small change. Maybe it's just new PR (he definitely has had a new PR team over winter, his Twitter is so boring!!).

An easy example is that between 2016-2018 there was a lot of retirement talk, but that has changed completely to staying as long as possible.

Sometimes I think the only reason he really invested into music/fashion etc. is because it was a good distraction from Rosberg :lol:

Edited by TomNokoe, 17 April 2019 - 13:25.

#787 ToniF1

ToniF1

• 382 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 16:00

How exactly are big James Vowles' balls ? To pit two cars in one go ? :lol:

#788 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:41

The points gap between Hamilton and Vettel after three rounds in:

2017: - 7

2018: - 9

2019: + 31

Hamilton won ‘17 and ‘18 titles with two races in his pocket. Gulp.

#789 ToniF1

ToniF1

• 382 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:47

Well we didn't have a title won at Suzuka for a long time, so...

Edited by ToniF1, 17 April 2019 - 17:48.

#790 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 771 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:48

Now you are getting desperate. So Merc investing 40% in McLaren and wanting to buy the rest of the McLaren team is not an indication that they had a long term interesting in F1?    :stoned:   

And you are just being silly trying to insinuate that Lewis comments about being interested in FE where just PR. He is his own person and is under no obligation to say he has any interest in FE just because Merc are going to field a car next year. I can see him being interested in FE maybe even being a stakeholder in Merc  FE team if opportunity presents itself. 

Give up AmonGods you are getting pretty heated up, not my fault you cant the beat facts and perfectly logical examples presented to you.   ;)

So, let me see your 'facts':

1. if Max comes knocking at Merc's door they will gladly take him and fire Lewis.

2. Lewis will join FE.

3. Merc is in F1 as a work team for the long haul because more than 10 years ago they wanted to buy McLaren. Well, I got some news for you.. they did bought an F1 team and are about to become the most succesfull F1 team in history. So yeah, I think they will call their quits when the time is right.

Nice 'facts' you got there.   :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Edited by AmonGods, 17 April 2019 - 17:49.

#791 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,819 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 18:30

You should have been here in 2014-16 when it was Riverside vs the world. :rotfl:
Certainly post more though, the thread could use more balance and RECKLESS needs a buddy..

I don't need a buddy, buddy.

:lol:

#792 OO7

OO7

• 19,257 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 20:19

(From the Car Thread):

Am I the only one left deeply impressed by the double-stack final pit stop?  Being able to pull of a risky maneuver like that, under pressure is remarkable.  There is so many ways in which that can go wrong, and so few in which it can succeed.  Excellent demonstration of why they've been so successful the last few years.  Very proud of them!

It was brilliantly executed Kilowatt, pretty much perfection.  Bottas entered the pitlane about 5.4 seconds behind Lewis and was 5.5 seconds behind when he emerged!

#793 OO7

OO7

• 19,257 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 21:22

It's crazy to think that Lewis is already more than a race win ahead of P3!

#794 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,679 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 22:35

It's crazy to think that Lewis is already more than a race win ahead of P3!

It's not crazy, it is beautiful.

#795 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,315 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 13:07

High praise of Lewis from Gerhard Berger

https://www.motorspo...-level/4374478/

"Everybody always asks me, 'How do you see this driver against Ayrton?," said Berger. "And I always in all the years say, 'I don't see anybody near to Ayrton.' But Lewis is the first driver I put on the same level as Ayrton.

"The guy is outstandingly fast. He makes a bit less mistakes than the others, and what impressed me so much with him when you have won as much as he's won is you [might] think, 'Today now I'm second, either I'm going to run over his head and I win, or I'm out.'

"He doesn't do it, he just stays there and waits, 'OK I finish second, take the points.' It looks like he is just running the game in such a good way now that he's unbeatable at the moment.

"I see really a lot of the championships that was won by Mercedes in the last few years, it was Lewis and engine.

"The engine was outstanding, yes. But Lewis, in the wet, on a quick circuit, on a street circuit, qualifying, he's always there.

"He won the championship five times, he won one race after the next one. Yes, he's in the best car with the best engine, but he's also the best – by far the best man at the moment."

Berger believes that Hamilton can challenge Michael Schumacher's records, notably that of earning seven world championship titles.

"I think Lewis, if nothing happens to him and he keeps going like this, for the next two or three years, I think he's always going to be onto the championship. Definitely he has the chance.

"Also what happened with Michael, on one side I would like to protect Michael's success, because it's such a tragedy, and so sad. But when you put this all out for a moment, and say let's see, then Lewis Hamilton is a very special driver from all the time I watched F1."

Asked to compare Hamilton with Schumacher, he said: "You know, how you rate people, on the one side you can just go statistically, who won the most races or whatever, and that's what it is.

"And then you go a bit deeper, and say then who won the most races out of how many races he did, then you look at qualy. I go more by feeling and watching.

"For me there have always been great champions, like Nelson [Piquet], like Niki [Lauda], like [Alain] Prost, like Michael. But there was always one thing above them, Ayrton. Now I see Lewis in the same league.

#796 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,498 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 14:27

Wow. Berger is finally acknowledging that Lewis is the Senna-Prost chimera! 

#797 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,858 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 15:57

Personally, I don't think Lewis is anywhere close to Senna in being that much faster than his peers. Not because he's not necessarily naturally that much faster but mainly because with the nature of the cars, the telemetry, everything that is modern F1, there isn't as much of a lap time differentiator between the very good and great drivers as there used to be. The brakes are so good and braking distances so short that a mere two hundredth gain in braking distance in one corner is what separates the best brakers from the decent guys.

There is so much telemetry available that driver performance converges. So the only real opportunity to see a driver's natural talent shine is when we get very difficult conditions, wet races etc. We've always known Lewis' strengths from the moment he entered F1. His natural speed, his ability in the wet, his race craft - overtaking and defence. But there were weaknesses such as trying too hard, not managing the tyres or the race, a lot of negativity on the radio when a race wasn't going his way, impatience, mistakes under pressure. But experience, age, maturity has smoothed most of that out. He still gets a bit stroppy when things don't pan out exactly as he expects, but he doesn't lose his sh*t completely like before and doesn't make a lot of mistakes even when under pressure.

He's achieved so much, he's so confident in his abilities, barely anything phases him anymore. Even in 2012, his turnaround year after his disaster 2011 season, though his performance in 2012 was superb he still lost his marbles when Jenson out qualified him in Spa. In contrast, in the last few seasons including this season, he shrugs off being out qualified by his team mate. In China he was struggling all weekend, he was perplexed about his pace, but there was no panic even while his team mate was lighting up the timesheets while he was floundering away almost a second a lap slower for most of the race weekend until it mattered in qualifying.

So when you take a driver of his natural speed, add bucket loads of experience, including the experience of having had some high calibre drivers as team mates, iron out the above mentioned weaknesses, while adding in the calmness and confidence, then it's no surprise that you get a pretty complete driver who is extremely difficult to beat over a season.

#798 Fox1

Fox1

• 693 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 16:47

Personally, I don't think Lewis is anywhere close to Senna in being that much faster than his peers. Not because he's not necessarily naturally that much faster but mainly because with the nature of the cars, the telemetry, everything that is modern F1, there isn't as much of a lap time differentiator between the very good and great drivers as there used to be. The brakes are so good and braking distances so short that a mere two hundredth gain in braking distance in one corner is what separates the best brakers from the decent guys.

There is so much telemetry available that driver performance converges. So the only real opportunity to see a driver's natural talent shine is when we get very difficult conditions, wet races etc. We've always known Lewis' strengths from the moment he entered F1. His natural speed, his ability in the wet, his race craft - overtaking and defence. But there were weaknesses such as trying too hard, not managing the tyres or the race, a lot of negativity on the radio when a race wasn't going his way, impatience, mistakes under pressure. But experience, age, maturity has smoothed most of that out. He still gets a bit stroppy when things don't pan out exactly as he expects, but he doesn't lose his sh*t completely like before and doesn't make a lot of mistakes even when under pressure.

He's achieved so much, he's so confident in his abilities, barely anything phases him anymore. Even in 2012, his turnaround year after his disaster 2011 season, though his performance in 2012 was superb he still lost his marbles when Jenson out qualified him in Spa. In contrast, in the last few seasons including this season, he shrugs off being out qualified by his team mate. In China he was struggling all weekend, he was perplexed about his pace, but there was no panic even while his team mate was lighting up the timesheets while he was floundering away almost a second a lap slower for most of the race weekend until it mattered in qualifying.

So when you take a driver of his natural speed, add bucket loads of experience, including the experience of having had some high calibre drivers as team mates, iron out the above mentioned weaknesses, while adding in the calmness and confidence, then it's no surprise that you get a pretty complete driver who is extremely difficult to beat over a season.

I don't think the bar is set as high for any other driver...3 Wins, the ONLY driver to out-qualify both RB7s in WDC year won by 122 points.  Not his best season, but the fact that 2011 is regularly called a "disastrous" year for Lewis proves how high he's rated. No other driver can withstand that level of scrutiny.    

#799 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,858 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 14:59

I don't think the bar is set as high for any other driver...3 Wins, the ONLY driver to out-qualify both RB7s in WDC year won by 122 points.  Not his best season, but the fact that 2011 is regularly called a "disastrous" year for Lewis proves how high he's rated. No other driver can withstand that level of scrutiny.    

I somewhat agree with you, but I don't think that it was ever his speed that was criticised in 2011. He was overwhelmingly quicker than Jenson, especially in qualifying and unfortunately in many races we never got close to seeing his race pace given the frequent car bonding experience between he and Massa.

The fact is, and it can't be skirted around, he was soundly beaten over the season by Jenson. 270 points to 227. P2 to P5. Being beaten by a team mate so soundly was deserving of criticism, and yes, mainly because of Lewis' high calibre. It's the same reason no one completely freaks out over Stroll being beaten by a team mate, while Seb being beaten by Leclerc rings alarm bells.

I largely agree with you that Lewis gets held to a ridiculously high standard over and above the other drivers, but I still don't think criticism of his 2011 is a good example of that.

Advertisement

#800 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,506 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 17:30

Berger's words are nice to hear, but nothing more. We already know that Lewis Hamilton is a very good Formula 1 driver.

Whilst it wasn't Berger's intention, I feel like these comments are almost deliberately inflammatory to grab a headline. There is always a subtle power struggle between the fans and media to proclaim "X driver" or "Y constructor" the best. It's tiresome after following the sport for so long.

Hamilton is nothing like Senna, either. At all. Not anymore.

Edited by TomNokoe, 24 April 2019 - 17:31.