Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
7139 replies to this topic

#851 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:34

Is pole the best position to start from here? I know only Rosberg has won from pole (without competition), but I mean as in staying ahead. 

Advertisement

#852 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,417 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:35

No driver has won from pole this season so far. Not that this means anything, but an interesting stat nonetheless. Job well done for Valtteri, but I have a feeling Lewis will make his life very difficult tomorrow.

Edited by GoldenColt, 27 April 2019 - 15:37.

#853 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,644 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:36

It depends how crazy the race will be, SC and that, otherwise it will be follow the leader as always.

#854 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,840 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:36

Mercedes "fake practice start" was deliberate

Mark Hughes @SportmphMark
Vettel to Merc drivers: "Did you do a dummy start or did you just stop?"
Hamilton. "What? we just dummied you."

Edited by TomNokoe, 27 April 2019 - 15:37.

#855 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,348 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:37

Is pole the best position to start from here? I know only Rosberg has won from pole (without competition), but I mean as in staying ahead. 

The pole sitter has retained the lead at the start in all three years.

The pole sitter in 2017 and 2018 lost the lead later on. Lewis due to the head-rest issue. Vettel due to the SC. 

#856 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:39

Tbh I think Leclerc has great chances to win from 10th :lol:

They changed the SC restart rules so at least the leader will not be a sitting duck at every restart. So in that aspect it's certainly more encouraging for the polesitter. The start itself so far is 3/3, the run is short.

Though, besides Rosberg in 2016 Hamilton would have won in 2017 without the headrest failure and Vettel in 2018 without the SC. I think the pole ratio is not entirely reflecting the reality. But it sure can be exciting.

#857 NateF

NateF

• 2,967 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:41

Was there a significant difference in pace during practice between the drivers? Do practice times translate over to races these days? Will tomorrow be as effed up as previous races? Will Pogba return to Juventus?

#858 Dicun

Dicun

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:43

You're quite hilarious too.

What a shitty, childish, knee-jerk reaction :D

No worries, mate, I'm not too keen on you either (and I'm being diplomatic here) :)

No no, this is not what I mean lmao

Also out of context quoting, meh :p

It is technically a *huge* operational error on a track like Baku to give your drivers a warm up lap like this. Obviously it hit more drivers (like in China), but they put themselves in the worst position of all (Hamilton the most of course because the last is always screwed if you are running against the countdown).

They got lucky that Ferrari was suddenly nowhere, otherwise this would have costed pole. Or maybe they can afford to do this exactly because of that.

Hamilton got a double tow for the entire third sector and duly profited from it. The tow is the most powerful around Baku on all of the circuits. You are one of the more reasonable Lewis fanboys, so come on now, buddy, you can't be serious with this hampering sh*t when Lewis got the double tow and you saw with Giovinazzi what tow means around this track :D

Give Bottas proper credit, without ifs and buts ;)

#859 as65p

as65p

• 22,060 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:44

With the race speed Merc showed in practice, this could well become another borefest... if not for the track being the track and surely  a few crashes and SC mixing everything up! Fingers crossed...

Though in the end I wouldn't bet on anything but another Merc win.

Advertisement

#860 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:48

With the race speed Merc showed in practice, this could well become another borefest...

They also showed great pace on the softs on Friday in Bahrain, but it meant nothing for the race. I wouldn't read anything into that. 

#861 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,417 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:53

No worries, mate, I'm not too keen on you either (and I'm being diplomatic here) :)

No amount of smiley-faces can mask how much you're seething inside.  ;)

#862 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:55

Hamilton got a double tow for the entire third sector and duly profited from it. The tow is the most powerful around Baku on all of the circuits. You are one of the more reasonable Lewis fanboys, so come on now, buddy, you can't be serious with this hampering sh*t when Lewis got the double tow and you saw with Giovinazzi what tow means around this track :D

Give Bottas proper credit, without ifs and buts ;)

Bottas got one as well though? In fact most did. The point is that you can get a tow and have a good warm up lap (and tyre temps are everything here), evidently the later wasnt the case, otherwise he wouldnt be way off his best in the first corners (and only there) without any glaring mistake. Just saying that in a close competition (which well, didnt happened today luckily for them) this is going to be seen as a massive **** up, regardless if it costs Bottas or Hamilton more. In this case it was more costly for the later.

Edit: at least they are better than Red Bull in China and got just by a few seconds over the line  :p

Edited by Marklar, 27 April 2019 - 15:57.

#863 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,092 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:59

Bottas got one as well though? In fact most did. The point is that you can get a tow and have a good warm up lap (and tyre temps are everything here), evidently the later wasnt the case, otherwise he wouldnt be way off his best in the first corners (and only there) without any glaring mistake. Just saying that in a close competition (which well, didnt happened today luckily for them) this is going to be seen as a massive **** up, regardless if it costs Bottas or Hamilton more. In this case it was more costly for the later.

When Lewis came along side Bottas I wondered if he would overtake luckily he thought better of it! Strange tactics by Merc could have cost them front row.

#864 P123

P123

• 16,028 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 15:59

I don't know where the idea of a 'double tow' comes from. That would suggest Hamilton was hobbled through S1 and S2 by some extreme dirty air. Bottas and Hamilton got a tow in the final sector. Hamilton from Bottas. Or maybe it was a treble or quadruple tow.  ;) Both had similar final sector times.

But this sort of thing reminds me why the JB/LH topics used to go on forever. :)

#865 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,661 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:07

But this sort of thing reminds me why the JB/LH topics used to go on forever. :)

The good old days of Mclaren's thread battlefield.

#866 Dicun

Dicun

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:07

No amount of smiley-faces can mask how much you're seething inside.  ;)

Obviously, since it's my favourite driver who got beaten to pole by just 0.059 secs, causing me to throw a tantrum about the team hampering Hamilton :D

Projecting much? Anyway, keep 'em coming, guys, this thread is most entertaining when Hamilton gets beaten and you lot start bitchin' and moanin'.

Edit: at least they are better than Red Bull in China and got just by a few seconds over the line  :p

Lewis got double tow, Bottas got a single one. I repeat: come on now, Marklar, you know better than this :)

This post was more balanced now from you but seeing the initial reactions about the team hampering Lewis... that was just comedy gold. 

#867 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,819 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:09

Who has the most poles so far this season? Say it?!

#868 OO7

OO7

• 19,176 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:12

Who has the most race wins so far this season? Say it?!   ;)

#869 Dicun

Dicun

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:16

I don't know where the idea of a 'double tow' comes from. That would suggest Hamilton was hobbled through S1 and S2 by some extreme dirty air. Bottas and Hamilton got a tow in the final sector. Hamilton from Bottas. Or maybe it was a treble or quadruple tow.  ;) Both had similar final sector times.

Right, because a double tow on a 1.3 mile long straight will affect a driver exactly the same in the castle section, causing double dirty air - regardless of the fact that the car driving in front of Bottas would be some two corners ahead of Lewis all the time. Makes sense!  :lol:

Cheers for the laughs, chaps.

Anyway, enjoy the race tomorrow, may the best man win  :up:

#870 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,417 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:23

Obviously, since it's my favourite driver who got beaten to pole by just 0.059 secs, causing me to throw a tantrum about the team hampering Hamilton :D

Projecting much?

Where did I throw a tantrum?

#871 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 5,015 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:24

Well, that's ruined my whole weekend now. 😂

#872 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:26

What is your definition of a double tow? I just checked GPS and it was Vettel/Gio - mini gap to Norris - moderate gap to Bottas - smaller gap to Hamilton - Kimi right behind (boy forget Hamilton, Kimi got ****ed over properly lmao)

#873 Coral

Coral

• 4,176 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:27

The good old days of Mclaren's thread battlefield.

Ahhh...LH vs JB...McLaren...I miss those days... :cry:  :(  :p

#874 CL16

CL16

• 1,139 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:30

Who has the most poles in the history of F1? Say it!?

#875 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:31

Judging from the last three races we live in a cruel and unfair world where fastest laps matter more than poles :p

Edited by Marklar, 27 April 2019 - 16:32.

#876 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,661 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:33

What i ate today? Don't say it.

Edited by Boxerevo, 27 April 2019 - 16:35.

#877 Dicun

Dicun

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:40

Well, that's ruined my whole weekend now.

Good :)

Where did I throw a tantrum?

Where did I say that you had thrown a tantrum?

I referred to several of your fellow Lewis fans talking about Hamilton being hampered by the team, hence pointing out the ridiculousness of your suggestion that I had reason to seethe.

#878 P123

P123

• 16,028 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:42

Right, because a double tow on a 1.3 mile long straight will affect a driver exactly the same in the castle section, causing double dirty air - regardless of the fact that the car driving in front of Bottas would be some two corners ahead of Lewis all the time. Makes sense!  :lol:

Cheers for the laughs, chaps.

Anyway, enjoy the race tomorrow, may the best man win  :up:

It was tongue in cheek, because a 'double tow' belongs in your imagination only. :)

#879 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,199 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:44

Don't show the people in the other threads this tweet.

https://twitter.com/...5866982401?s=19

Advertisement

#880 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Judging from the last three races we live in a cruel and unfair world where fastest laps matter more than poles :p

Yet the man without any fastest laps leads the championship...

#881 P123

P123

• 16,028 posts

Who has the most poles so far this season? Say it?!

Hamilton needs to level up his pole/ win ratio, so VB can carry on with the fast lappery!

#882 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:47

Where is Wolff today? I know he's there, but no one seems to bother quoting him this weekend. Not even his own team so far? 

#883 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,004 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:49

Wow ,, a damn shame the Merc thread is now full of VB vs LH bullcrap instead of celebrating the 1,2 that Mercedes as a team just earned in the face of a damn good challenge by the Reds... 

#884 Dicun

Dicun

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:51

It was tongue in cheek, because a 'double tow' belongs in your imagination only. :)

"I was using Valtteri's pace but also knew that Kimi was probably going to get a double tow." – Daniel Ricciardo

https://www.formula1...csIymk0Gca.html

"My battle with Ocon and Alonso was a lot of fun, I had massive double tow from them" – Nico Hülkenberg

http://rs.recette.sb...rix-Sunday.html

Boy, these F1 drivers have a wild imagination, huh?  :lol:

Like I said: thanks for the laughs  :wave:

#885 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,164 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:53

Wow ,, a damn shame the Merc thread is now full of VB vs LH bullcrap instead of celebrating the 1,2 that Mercedes as a team just earned in the face of a damn good challenge by the Reds... 

Gotta love these posts... instead of celebrating the 1,2 that Mercedes as a team just earned in the face of a damn good challenge by the Reds, you're just complaining about others not doing what you're not doing, either! 

:lol:

#886 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,417 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:54

Where did I say that you had thrown a tantrum?

Projecting much?

#887 Dicun

Dicun

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 16:58

Wow, it's clearly not your day, GC :)

By talking about tantrums, I was referring to your fellow Lewis fans, and by mentioning projecting, I was referring to your suggestion that I was seething. 

#888 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,004 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:00

Gotta love these posts... instead of celebrating the 1,2 that Mercedes as a team just earned in the face of a damn good challenge by the Reds, you're just complaining about others not doing what you're not doing, either! 

:lol:

The reason i came on here was to see the discussion about how we managed to get a 1,2 ... However what i saw was comments about who impeded who and what ifs. Sorry if me being more concerned about the fact that we were starting at a 3,4 initially after fp3  was more important that who of within our own team got pole.

In any case carry on.. ill stick to the technical thread going forward.

#teamfirst

#889 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:04

"I was using Valtteri's pace but also knew that Kimi was probably going to get a double tow." – Daniel Ricciardo

https://www.formula1...csIymk0Gca.html

"My battle with Ocon and Alonso was a lot of fun, I had massive double tow from them" – Nico Hülkenberg

http://rs.recette.sb...rix-Sunday.html

Boy, these F1 drivers have a wild imagination, huh?  :lol:

Like I said: thanks for the laughs  :wave:

Well, yeah, but Hamilton didnt had a "double tow". Norris was further away from him than Giovinazzi and Vettel were from Bottas. Unless you claim that Bottas had a triple tow (spoiler: he didnt)

I'm going from GPS here, because I cant use F1TV right now, so maybe this would look different there, but it seems like you are twisting this quite a bit for some reason.

The only driver anywhere near close to a double tow was Kimi, but it looks more like this ****ed him all over (edit: Norris too)   :drunk:

Edited by Marklar, 27 April 2019 - 17:08.

#890 Dicun

Dicun

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:04

However what i saw was comments about who impeded who and what ifs. Sorry if me being more concerned about the fact that we were starting at a 3,4 initially after fp3  was more important that who of within our own team got pole.

This.

Don't be too surprised though, the Lewis vs teammate threads have always been just badly disguised Lewis fan threads around here.

#891 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,417 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:05

Wow, it's clearly not your day, GC :)

Don't be fooled by the lack of emoticons in my comments, I'm fine.

Edited by GoldenColt, 27 April 2019 - 17:07.

#892 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,340 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:06

The reason i came on here was to see the discussion about how we managed to get a 1,2 ... However what i saw was comments about who impeded who and what ifs. Sorry if me being more concerned about the fact that we were starting at a 3,4 initially after fp3 was more important that who of within our own team got pole.

In any case carry on.. ill stick to the technical thread going forward.

#teamfirst

The car/technical thread is the place for that. This one can contain anything pertaining to the team, including driver vs driver.

#893 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,004 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:10

The car/technical thread is the place for that. This one can contain anything pertaining to the team, including driver vs driver.

Been on these forums long enough .. well aware. Also very aware celebrations of team effort have been discussed on here and that this is not just a Driver vs Driver thread. 

But thanks for the comment.

#894 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:11

People have a moan here about the strategy as well even if they have a 1-2 (and surprise, even when Lewis wins!). Might be a bit spoiled, but I dont see how this is a bad thing. Just like it's not a bad thing to ocassionally criticise your driver even if all is going well for him right now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#895 Dicun

Dicun

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:12

Well, yeah, but Hamilton didnt had a "double tow". Norris was further away from him than Giovinazzi and Vettel were from Bottas. Unless you claim that Bottas had a triple tow (spoiler: he didnt)

I'm going from GPS here, because I cant use F1TV right now, so maybe this would look different there, but it seems like you are twisting this quite a bit for some reason.

The only driver anywhere near close to a double tow was Kimi, but it looks more like this ****ed him all over  :drunk:

P123 stated that "a double tow", meaning double tow as a thing, in general, was just my brainchild. And you gave him a like for that...  :drunk:

#896 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:18

P123 stated that "a double tow", meaning double tow as a thing, in general, was just my brainchild. And you gave him a like for that...  :drunk:

So? You are claiming all the time that Hamilton had a double tow, although he clearly didnt had one, that's certainly part of your imagination. I know that the definition exists, but it seems like you recreate a new one today  :yawnface:  :p

#897 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,819 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:19

Who has the most race wins so far this season? Say it?!   ;)

Who has the most poles in the history of F1? Say it!?

Hamilton needs to level up his pole/ win ratio, so VB can carry on with the fast lappery!

I KNEW you lot could not straight up answer the question I put forward. :love: :kiss:  :lol: 

#898 OO7

OO7

• 19,176 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:22

Ahhh...LH vs JB...McLaren...I miss those days... :cry:  :(  :p

Don't forget to throw your favourite celebrity girlfriend into that mix Coral.

#899 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,387 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:25

Don't forget to throw your favourite celebrity girlfriend into that mix Coral.

that was the cringiest stuff I have seen in my time on this forum.

Grown men arguing over which partner was better and analysing their traits and effects in their driver boyfriends.

Like Daily Mail readers.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 27 April 2019 - 17:25.

Advertisement

#900 OO7

OO7

• 19,176 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 17:30

I KNEW you lot could not straight up answer the question I put forward. :love: :kiss:  :lol:

Oh, I didn't realise it was a serious question!  In that case my guess would be Leclerc or Vettel. :D