Photo
* * * - - 8 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
3666 replies to this topic

#51 geralt

geralt

• 722 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:48

WHAT A RACE FROM VALTTERI. Hamilton got schooled, let's be honest. 

Still, first race of the season so the important thing for the flying finn is to be consistent and be there next week as well

Edited by geralt, 17 March 2019 - 06:50.

Advertisement

#52 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 634 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:51

I am getting a Nico 2016 vibe from Bottas, He even brought his family along. Something he rarely does. He is very hungry!! I think a lot of people who have written him off are in for a shock. He just needs to start playing mind games and be very aggressive. Long season ahead but this is the perfect start for Bottas. 

#53 Coral

Coral

• 3,991 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:51

As a Lewis fan, I'm not too worried about today's performance. Lewis is not good at this track for some strange reason...I mean, he has only won twice here!  ;)

It was a great win for Bottas...he really was in a different county! But Lewis will bounce back.

Edited by Coral, 17 March 2019 - 06:53.

#54 Lights

Lights

• 16,110 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:52

Hamilton really doesn't like winning this one does he.

Bottas was ominous today, loved the mindset for the fastest lap as well.

Odd to see Hamilton unable to challenge him at all, I don't recall that ever happening like this even to Rosberg?

Edited by Lights, 17 March 2019 - 06:52.

#55 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,137 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:53

Master class from Bottas today and I’m pleased for him, he’s very deserving.

Not worried I’m the least about Ham. Season is long and a second is a very nice result.

#56 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 18,517 posts

If I’ve learned something this weekend it’s that you can beat the beard over 1 lap but not over 58.

#57 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,609 posts

Bearded Bottas is hungry.

Better Lewis beat him down as soon as possible and not wait to European Season.

#58 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,137 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:54

Odd to see Hamilton unable to challenge him at all, I don't recall that ever happening like this even to Rosberg?

Happened a few times. In Singapore 16 for example.

#59 TheFish

TheFish

• 540 posts

Never seen Bottas perform like that before. Outstanding.

I wonder what would have happened if Lewis got to t1 first, Bottas would have pit to cover Seb. May still have won, of course, but the start was crucial.

Advertisement

#60 Asterion

Asterion

• 812 posts

Great job by Bottas. Merc definitely has the best driver pairing.

#61 OO7

OO7

• 18,882 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:55

Phenomenal job by Bottas today, dominated the race and chased the fastest lap like a dog with a bone.  An atypical race from Lewis, work to do for Bahrain but he'll be back.  Mercedes 1-2, fantastic! :up:

Edited by OO7, 17 March 2019 - 06:57.

#62 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,662 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:56

I reckon Bottas would have won that race even if he hadn't jumped Lewis at the start. His pace was just so much better.

I'll eat my hat if it wasn't tyre & setup related.

#63 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 18,517 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:57

Never seen Bottas perform like that before. Outstanding.
I wonder what would have happened if Lewis got to t1 first, Bottas would have pit to cover Seb. May still have won, of course, but the start was crucial.

I remember him putting in a few like that in the Williams.

#64 Marklar

Marklar

• 31,236 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:57

Time will tell if this was one of Bottas usual 2-3 great performances per season or a real change. Hamilton can also certainly do much better than this.

Russia in 2017 was way worse imo for Hamilton. He had no pace at all there. Bottas wasnt as impressive there as today though. Definitely his best race so far.

#65 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 18,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:58

Happened a few times. In Singapore 16 for example.

Japan 2011, Spa 2012, Baku 2016, Singapore 2016, etc ... were terrible weekends.

Hamilton has been fastest in every session, until today. This was totally out of the blue. Very strange.

Edited by TomNokoe, 17 March 2019 - 07:00.

#66 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,803 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:59

26 points. Most anyone ever had in a GP! Great job Valtteri!

#67 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 634 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:00

I reckon Bottas would have won that race even if he hadn't jumped Lewis at the start. His pace was just so much better.

You really think he would had overtaken Lewis on track? 

#68 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,101 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:01

I feel like Hamilton will be back to winning form next time out and this will be a flash in the pan.

But damn I really want this form from Bottas to continue...

#69 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,899 posts

Exactly my thoughts. Bottas had the pace to beat Lewis regardless of jumping him at the start. Lewis already alluding that he has some ideas as to his struggle for speed today. That kind of gap in overall race time has more to it than driver performance alone, even though Bottas was clearly the man for Mercedes today.

Mercs championships to lose once again. Ferrari should be extremely concerned.

#70 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,662 posts

You really think he would had overtaken Lewis on track? 

No, but I think he would have jumped in the pit lane.

#71 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:02

Well, the good thing is the pace of the car. Hamilton was super slow, there must have been a reason for it. Main thing is they seem to have an idea what went wrong.

Bottas was amazing.

#72 peroa

peroa

• 10,281 posts

Time will tell if this was one of Bottas usual 2-3 great performances per season or a real change. Hamilton can also certainly do much better than this.

Russia in 2017 was way worse imo for Hamilton. He had no pace at all there. Bottas wasnt as impressive there as today though. Definitely his best race so far.

Well, lew has to figure out how to get the tyres into the window and keep them there.

I think he realized towards the end of the race that the more he pushed the better his pace got.

The tyre saving paranoia sits deep after the previous 8 years, time tho rethink the approach, these tyre behave like 2010 Bridgestones.

#73 Konsta

Konsta

• 2,634 posts

That was a dominant performance. Great start of the season for the team!!

#74 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 2,607 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:05

Well, lew has to figure out how to get the tyres into the window and keep them there.
I think he realized towards the end of the race that the more he pushed the better his pace got.

Fairly sure a 5 time world champion realises that if he pushes more he goes faster.

#75 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,662 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:06

The tyre saving paranoia sits deep after the previous 8 years, time tho rethink the approach, these tyre behave like 2010 Bridgestones.

The compound isn't really any different. There shouldn't be major changes. The only thing is that Pirelli widened the working ranges this year, so you'd actually expect more predictable tyre behaviour.

It is probably more down to Merc's redesigned rear suspension and how it works the tyres, catching him off guard.

#76 fer312t

fer312t

• 1,383 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:07

If I’ve learned something this weekend it’s that you can beat the beard over 1 lap but not over 58.

But Lewis has a beard too... :well:

#77 CL16

CL16

• 1,001 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:07

It wouldn’t have happened, the race would have just been a slower Grand Prix.

#78 peroa

peroa

• 10,281 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:08

Fairly sure a 5 time world champion realises that if he pushes more he goes faster.

You missed the point, IMHO he was afraid that the tyres would degrade if he pushed them too much, like in previous years.

He did 43!!! laps on them and put in a 26.0 (his personal best) in the last couple of laps when the tyre was 40!!! laps old.

#79 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 710 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:08

That's not what he is saying. With last years Pirelli, if you pushed them at the start of the stint they would be gone really fast, but if you manage them you'd get more life out of them and lap times.

Advertisement

#80 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 18,517 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:09

But Lewis has a beard too... :well:

Not a rugged, Scandinavian beard.

#81 peroa

peroa

• 10,281 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:10

The compound isn't really any different. There shouldn't be major changes. The only thing is that Pirelli widened the working ranges this year, so you'd actually expect more predictable tyre behaviour.

It is probably more down to Merc's redesigned rear suspension and how it works the tyres, catching him off guard.

IMHO a combination and if you add Bottas' tendency to put more energy through the tyres than Lewis then it all smells a bit of a too much tyre saving setup.

#82 F1Lurker

F1Lurker

• 1,414 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:14

Hamilton seemed to know what went wrong. But it wasn't something he could change in the car (style or settings). He probably had a different setup to Bottas.

I think he likes Bottas and didn't want to detract at all from his victory so he refused to discuss what really went wrong.

But fear not, Hamilton is still Hamilton. The car was not working right but he pushed it to the edge to hold off Max and didn't make a single mistake or get rattled.

Btw, I don't take to Ocon at all. Every camera shot of Toto, Ocon is lurking in the frame with a little annoying smirk.

#83 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,263 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:15

Hamilton seemed to know what went wrong. But it wasn't something he could change in the car (style or settings). He probably had a different setup to Bottas.

I think he likes Bottas and didn't want to detract at all from his victory so he refused to discuss what really went wrong.

But fear not, Hamilton is still Hamilton. The car was not working right but he pushed it to the edge to hold off Max and didn't make a single mistake or get rattled.

Btw, I don't take to Ocon at all. Every camera shot of Toto, Ocon is lurking in the frame with a little annoying smirk.

I agree. There's something about him that rubs me the wrong way.

#84 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 812 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:16

26 points. Most anyone ever had in a GP! Great job Valtteri!

Lewis got 50 in Abu Dhabi 14. Massa got 36. Even Valtteri got 30.

#85 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 634 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:17

How would that had happened if they had to pit him early so to cover Vettel? The reason for the big gap was because Lewis had to pit early cover Vettel and conserve this tyres for 40 laps while Bottas on the faster tyre with free air could still pull out fastest lap after fastest lap. 

#86 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,662 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:18

How would that had happened if they had to pit him early so to cover Vettel? The reason for the big gap was because Lewis had to pit early cover Vettel and conserve this tyres for 40 laps while Bottas on the faster tyre with free air could still pull out fastest lap after fastest lap. 

Bottas's pace on mediums was still much better than Lewis's

#87 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 2,607 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:19

You missed the point, IMHO he was afraid that the tyres would degrade if he pushed them too much, like in previous years.
He did 43!!! laps on them and put in a 26.0 (his personal best) in the last couple of laps when the tyre was 40!!! laps old.

I was only joking...

#88 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 5,263 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:20

If the W10 really is the kind of beast we saw today for the rest of the season, having Bottas challenge Lewis would be very welcomed. I'm certainly not going to underestimate him, although you can't compare beating Lewis handily in one race with doing so throughout a full season. Still, these kind of things can create momentum and confidence which multiplies over a season. Add in a bit of reliability imbalances and we might end up with another 2016. Time will tell. Great job by Bottas today, simply, simply lovely.

#89 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,899 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:26

He'd pulled out a 4 second gap to Hamilton by around lap 10 if I remember. At first I was thinking Lewis was holding back some tyre life and get in clean air to attack as they approached the pit stops later on but that clearly wasn't the case and Hamilton, for reasons that will become clear during the week I suspect, just wasn't able to do the same lap times. Vettel pitting certainly didn't help with Merc covering him off with Lewis but he was losing out to Bottas consistantly from the start.

At least Mercedes now know they don't need to pit to cover a Ferrari or Red Bull trying to undercut them early in a race. They're streets ahead as shown by Bottas' race pace today. Once they sort out Hamilton's problems we could be back to a Lewis vs Nico type season. That's when we'll really get to see if Valtteri has the minerals for a head to head fight with Hamilton all season long.

Edited by EndlessMotion, 17 March 2019 - 07:27.

#90 Piif

Piif

• 1,258 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:30

The Beard.

This one I didn't see coming, even in his previous wins Bottas hasn't looked that strong. Today, he was in a league of his own, total dominance. Looking good for Mercedes.

#91 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 7,662 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:32

Lewis's interview on Sky was telling. He was in a cheerful mood, and you could tell he was holding something back. I think they already know what went wrong

#92 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 634 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:33

Bottas's pace on mediums was still much better than Lewis's

Oh yeah nice logic comparing someone with  8 laps fresher tyres to someone who was nursing tyres. You do know Lewis was managing his tyres after pitting on lap 18 with 40 laps to go?

He complaining over the radio that he did not think the tyres last the distance. hence the reason why his pace was not fast as he had to manage them, It was only when he had a few laps left and realised his tyres could last that he decided to step on it and was lapping a second a lap faster. He even said he wanted the fastest lap with a few laps to go. If that does not tell you he was holding back nothing will. 

Edited by Sunnny, 17 March 2019 - 07:51.

#93 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 18,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:34

Wouldn't be surprised if there was an agreement about the first corner.

Also agree with peroa about the tyres. Hamilton's times were more consistent when he pushed.

#94 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 634 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:36

He'd pulled out a 4 second gap to Hamilton by around lap 10 if I remember. At first I was thinking Lewis was holding back some tyre life and get in clean air to attack as they approached the pit stops later on but that clearly wasn't the case and Hamilton, for reasons that will become clear during the week I suspect, just wasn't able to do the same lap times. Vettel pitting certainly didn't help with Merc covering him off with Lewis but he was losing out to Bottas consistantly from the start.

At least Mercedes now know they don't need to pit to cover a Ferrari or Red Bull trying to undercut them early in a race. They're streets ahead as shown by Bottas' race pace today. Once they sort out Hamilton's problems we could be back to a Lewis vs Nico type season. That's when we'll really get to see if Valtteri has the minerals for a head to head fight with Hamilton all season long.

Nope he was 3.5 seconds after lap 19. Lewis sat back and managed tyres - even he said so in his interview. Same thing Max said against Lewis. 

#95 noriaki

noriaki

• 1,141 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:36

The change indicating thing about this race was that while usually being quick on the Russia, China, Bahrain type tracks, Bottas has tended to struggle on Melbourne type bumpy tracks.

I'm sure it's been setup and tyres for Lewis here and no doubt they are gonna solve the problem soon enough. But it also seems like they have solved a persistent problem on the Bottas side of the garage.

#96 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:38

Wall Terry driving like a champion on Sunday. Now let's see him drive like that on a Saturday as well!

#97 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,291 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:40

Bottas! Incredible job! Perfection, what else can you say.

With regards to tyres the rear tyres have to be 20deg lower in the blankets than before. I wonder if this means you need to hammer them early doors to get the temps. Lewis usually like to do a very slow outlap to nurse the tyres in. Perhaps they doesn't work now? We'll find out more at Bahrain.

Pace of the car though...wow. 2016-esque

#98 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,899 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:41

Nope he was 3.5 seconds after lap 19. Lewis sat back and managed tyres - even he said so in his interview. Same thing Max said against Lewis. 

I stand corrected. I'm abosolutely shattered after getting up in the middle of the night for three days straight now, memory is playing tricks on me  :yawnface: 

Either way though it's becoming fairly obvious Hamilton was limited to his lap times compared to Bottas because of something setup related most likely. Not to take away the fact that Bottas was the driver of the day and fully deserves his win. His pace advantage meant he would have been stuck to the back on Hamilton's gearbox until the pits if he had stayed in second and overcut him with ease. Vettel stopping early might have caused Bottas to be stopped early to cover though. Hard to say now really for sure.

#99 peroa

peroa

• 10,281 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:42

Bottas! Incredible job! Perfection, what else can you say.

With regards to tyres the rear tyres have to be 20deg lower in the blankets than before. I wonder if this means you need to hammer them early doors to get the temps. Lewis usually like to do a very slow outlap to nurse the tyres in. Perhaps they doesn't work now? We'll find out more at Bahrain.

Pace of the car though...wow. 2016-esque

Yep, Bottas was purpling right after the pitstop.

Advertisement

#100 prty

prty

• 6,196 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:42

So it seems that all Bottas needed to do was grow a beard.