Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
8019 replies to this topic

#101 anyeis

anyeis

• 1,583 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:46

Some evidence Bottas has fixed his tire management in testing and friday. Doubt its enough

Well it was :eek:

Advertisement

#102 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:15

LOL that explains it then, how did that happen though

Mercedes: “We have discovered damage to Lewis' floor at the region of the left-rear tyre seal (in front of the rear tyre) which will have exacerbated the challenges he had with the car balance. A chunk of the floor is missing, not sure how or why at this stage” #F1 #AusGP

#103 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,491 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:18

How can a professional F1 team miss this stuff!

#104 NateF

NateF

• 2,987 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:20

Great win for Bottas, good confidence boost for the year, the latter half of 2018 need not be repeated.

Issue with Hamilton, and he keeps the other competition behind, is this car like 14-16 again?!

#105 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:21

LOL that explains it then, how did that happen though

Mercedes: “We have discovered damage to Lewis' floor at the region of the left-rear tyre seal (in front of the rear tyre) which will have exacerbated the challenges he had with the car balance. A chunk of the floor is missing, not sure how or why at this stage” #F1 #AusGP

There was a part in the race where he lost 2 seconds in a lap to Vettel. It happened a few laps after he pitted . He must had gone off  or hit a kerb etc. 

#106 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:23

There was a part in the race where he lost 2 seconds in a lap to Vettel. It happened a few laps after he pitted . He must had gone off  or hit a kerb etc. 

and nobody noticed?

Edit: cant check his onbaord on f1tv rn, but his laps were consistently 1:28-1:29 after the stop, so no.

Edited by Marklar, 17 March 2019 - 08:32.

#107 HashtagBlessed44

HashtagBlessed44

• 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:33

It would be good to see Lewis go an a run of wins like 2014 after disappointment in the opening race 😁 hopefully that floor damage explains his lack of pace

#108 Topsu

Topsu

• 1,594 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:34

So potentially it should have been Ham ---15s--- Bottas ---20s--- Verstappen.

#109 geralt

geralt

• 775 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:45

I've always said that in 2017 and 2018 Merc and Ferrari were close, but wow this season may actually be dominant. The signs are ominous for the competition and depressing for me.

A season of Ham vs Bottas doesn't sound particularly exciting, so here's hoping Red Bull, if not Ferrari, can put on a challenge.

Edited by geralt, 17 March 2019 - 08:56.

#110 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 448 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:52

Well, there's so much backlash over Captain America shaving his, so maybe Bottas felt he should go the opposite way!!!!

It was an impressive drive, forgetting Hamilton for a moment it was just a 10/10 drive, it will be a 9/10 weekend because he got beaten to pole, but surely its his best race drive.  The thing is in his defence, he was strong the beginning of last year too, and got screwed out of victory in China and Baku, and I think that broke him a bit.  This must give him a ton of self belief now for 2019 so it should be a great contest between the 2 of them.

However, Hamilton could bounce back and trounce him in Bahrain, and knowing Hamiltons resolve that wouldn't surprise me one bit....

#111 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 3,707 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:53

I've always said that in 2017 and 2018 Merc and Ferrari were close, but wow this season may actually be dominant. The signs are ominous for the competition and depressing for me.

A season of Ham vs Bottas doesn't sound particularly exciting, so here's hoping if Red Bull, if not Ferrari, can put on a challenge.

If Bottas can get on equal footing with Hamilton it could be explosively exciting.

I fear that Hamilton will be back on form from Bahrain onwards though. If that happens I can’t see myself sticking with the season that long...

#112 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,445 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:57

and nobody noticed?
Edit: cant check his onbaord on f1tv rn, but his laps were consistently 1:28-1:29 after the stop, so no.

Something happened, no doubt. He lost over 2 seconds to Vettel within a lap shortly after the stop.

#113 P123

P123

• 16,140 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:59

It would be good to see Lewis go an a run of wins like 2014 after disappointment in the opening race hopefully that floor damage explains his lack of pace

I'm not sure it would have been all that- pre-season he noted that VB seemed happy with the tyres whilst he had some work to do. It may have been that showing it's head too.

The final gap was flattered by strategy to a certain extent, but it was good to see Bottas get his long overdue win. Must be the beard.

#114 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 721 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:04

This been posted yet?

https://twitter.com/...1669007360?s=21

Having Ocon in the garage with Toto seems like they’re ready to put a heap of pressure on Bottas this year. However, maybe it’ll be Hamilton that Ocon replaces it Lewis calls it a day after another long season. I was half expecting him to do it at the end of last year!

#115 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 8,298 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:06

This been posted yet?

Having Ocon in the garage with Toto seems like they’re ready to put a heap of pressure on Bottas this year. However, maybe it’ll be Hamilton that Ocon replaces it Lewis calls it a day after another long season. I was half expecting him to do it at the end of last year!

Pretty sure he just meant the journalists who doubted him.

Lewis wont retire until he no longer has a chance to beat Michael's records.

#116 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:18

Something happened, no doubt. He lost over 2 seconds to Vettel within a lap shortly after the stop.

Ah, you mean the outlap itself, yeah it was two seconds off, but this does happen sometimes depending on how quickly you get up to speed (something which I assume perhaps even fired back on Vettel)

Would be just strange if everyone missed that, but then again the FOM misses a lot of stuff  :p 

Checked his outlap

Vettel S1: 34.941 S2: 23.507 S3: 35.244
Hamilton S1: 35.764, S2: 23.924 S3: 35.954

Next lap for Hamilton were 23.857 in S2 and 35.362 in S3, so hardly quicker in S2 at least, S3 could be quicker because he got the tyres on temperature by then.

So consistent loss over all three sectors, indicates that there was no off

Of course could be still that he damaged it somewhere on track, but then it was a lot less noticable.

Edited by Marklar, 17 March 2019 - 09:19.

#117 peroa

peroa

• 10,436 posts

This been posted yet?

I think I'd rather build Russel up than Ocon.

#118 masa90

masa90

• 510 posts

Small notice, why did Lewis keep the hat on during anthems? (or do they call that durag a hat?? not too familiar with those)

Well done Valtteri !

#119 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 3,673 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:19

Congratulations to Bottas, drove a very commanding race.

Bottas' Merc looked dominant in race trim. The rest of the teams should be worried.

Advertisement

#120 peroa

peroa

• 10,436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:21

Ah, you mean the outlap itself, yeah it was two seconds off, but this does happen sometimes depending on how quickly you get up to speed (something which I assume perhaps even fired back on Vettel)

Would be just strange if everyone missed that, but then again the FOM misses a lot of stuff  :p 

Checked his outlap

Next lap for Hamilton were 23.857 in S2 and 35.362 in S3, so hardly quicker

Of course could be still that he damaged it somewhere on track, but then it was a lot less noticable.

He was taking it very easy on the first few laps because of last year, easing the tyres in for a very long stint.

BUT, these tyres don't need it, look at Bottas, he purpled right from the beginning and drove a 33 lap stint trading fastest laps at the end.

HAM and his side of the garage got caught out by paranoia over the tyres not lasting, this years tyres seem to be as durable as Bridgestones at its best.

Edited by peroa, 17 March 2019 - 09:26.

#121 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,445 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:23

Checked his outlap
Next lap for Hamilton were 23.857 in S2 and 35.362 in S3, so hardly quicker in S2 at least, S3 could be quicker because he got the tyres on temperature by then.

The outlap is always going to be relatively slow and I suppose the new tyre warmer max temps only make matters worse. I thought it was the following lap but it was very early in the morning. ;)

#122 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 21,929 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:31

HAM and his side of the garage got caught out by paranoia over the tyres not lasting, this years tyres seem to be as durable as Bridgestones at its best.

Grosjean says the tires still overheat if you push too hard, so they dont invite you to go full blast lap after lap, or relentlessly try to overtake someone. 😐

#123 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 2,039 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:34

He was taking it very easy on the first few laps because of last year, easing the tyres in for a very long stint.

BUT, these tyres don't need it, look at Bottas, he purpled right from the beginning and drove a 33 lap sting trading fastest laps at the end.

Yeah there seems to be an emerging picture that might well suggest he was a little to easy on the tyres in the first stint compared to Bottas and then after having to pit to cover Vettel had his race compromised further before the floor damage is taken into account. It certainly wasn't that Lewis was lacking grip or traction through overheating or dead tyres. If it is indeed the case that they no longer need to nurse the tyres early on to get them through a long stint then this is fantastic news for everyone, Lewis especially. He did brilliantly to really adjust his driving to get the best out of the Pirelli's in recent years. Fair play to Bottas for getting the approach spot on with the tyres from the get go, but if it turns out that Lewis was being too conservative on the tyres I think Valterri's great start may be short lived.

I thought Hamilton was possibly talking about some setup things when he said he had some ideas as to why he didn't have the pace today but apparently not.

#124 femi

femi

• 7,452 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:38

and nobody noticed?

He lost 2secs to Vettel on his outlap after pitting.

#125 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:40

This been posted yet?

Man Im really, REALLY loving the attitude Bottas has! as a Finn I never was really that much fan of him, as I've always just been more interested how Kimi has been doing, but now Bottas is really showing the real fighting spirit and attitude that I feel he has been missing. I hope to see this similar fighting spirit from Bottas throughout the season

Edited by Balnazzard, 17 March 2019 - 09:41.

#126 peroa

peroa

• 10,436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:42

Yeah there seems to be an emerging picture that might well suggest he was a little to easy on the tyres in the first stint compared to Bottas and then after having to pit to cover Vettel had his race compromised further before the floor damage is taken into account. It certainly wasn't that Lewis was lacking grip or traction through overheating or dead tyres. If it is indeed the case that they no longer need to nurse the tyres early on to get them through a long stint then this is fantastic news for everyone, Lewis especially. He did brilliantly to really adjust his driving to get the best out of the Pirelli's in recent years. Fair play to Bottas for getting the approach spot on with the tyres from the get go, but if it turns out that Lewis was being too conservative on the tyres I think Valterri's great start may be short lived.

I thought Hamilton was possibly talking about some setup things when he said he had some ideas as to why he didn't have the pace today but apparently not.

Oh, IMHO setup will play a big part in this matter if it's too "conservative".

#127 peroa

peroa

• 10,436 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:44

This been posted yet?

Remember that sponsor that dropped him last year? The CEO had some pretty bad words to say, I think this might be the "concerned" one.

#128 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:51

Remember that sponsor that dropped him last year? The CEO had some pretty bad words to say, I think this might be the "concerned" one.

well he said in the Finnish interviews that everyone who doubted him can go "**** themselves"...not literally quite like that, but you know :D

And I dont think its just his personal sponsors, but everyone in the media and F1 community mainly who said that Ocon should replace him asap.

#129 lakshmi

lakshmi

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:57

I like Bottas' new mental form.

Team radio:

"To whom it may concern, **** you." 

"I want the 26 points so I'm going to go to the end."

And in Finnish TV postrace interview:

"The critics can now go screw themselves".

:smoking:  :up: 

#130 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:59

Team radio:

While I do like that attitude it may be wise to hold back a bit, one race will not change anything if the rest of the season isnt convincing (as it has been the last two years).

#131 lakshmi

lakshmi

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:01

While I do like that attitude it may be wise to hold back a bit, one race will not change anything if the rest of the season isnt convincing (as it has been the last two years).

True. Perhaps that warrior like attitude is what was missing during previous years. Time will tell.

#132 NateF

NateF

• 2,987 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:01

You’re right, as the saying goes “one swallow does not a summer make”.

Bottas needs to maintain consistency.

#133 pRy

pRy

• 16,440 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:07

Was writing this exact thing myself. One race doesn't make a season. Especially not one of the "easier" races to win which Australia has always been. I'll reserve my judgement on his ability for later in the season. 

#134 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,923 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:15

Bottas GOAT mode engaged! Amazing pace and controlled the race from the front without any problems. Cerebral thinking about the FL-extra point in the end as well. I really hope he can give Lewis a challenge this year, nobody wants to see another one-sided WDC. Go Valtteri!!

#135 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 721 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:22

You’re right, as the saying goes “one swallow does not a summer make”.

Bottas needs to maintain consistency.

‘One swallow does not a lover make’

#136 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 721 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:22

The Beard to be Feared

#137 Will

Will

• 3,173 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:32

Hopefully should be a good season. I seem to remember from last season Bottas overworking his rears more than Lewis so clearly that doesn’t matter as much this season and Lewis can just go for it in response and not worry about the rears. Impressed by Lewis’ post race interview, hopefully he’s learnt from 2016 and so he won’t get all mopey/paranoid that the team is engineering a close fight if he goes on a run of bad luck.

#138 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 5,858 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:35

Because in a live race maybe they can’t see it

#139 CL16

CL16

• 1,214 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:40

https://www.instagra...d=1n3iu2pqti4r3

Bottas meme

Advertisement

#140 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,223 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:41

I presumed they meant it happened during the race rather than they wheeled it out of the garage with bits missing. 

#141 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,749 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:42

Valtteri beating Lewis on one of his favorite tracks, is very good start for the season. A lot of monkeys must have dropped of from Valtteri's back, and as the team said on the radio after the race "it's payback from last year".

Keep up this form Valtteri, and Ocon can go find an other team to drive for 2020  :cool:

#142 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 771 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:42

Ferrari fans suddenly becoming Bottas fans  :rotfl:

Anyway, great race from Valtteri, well deserved win after some hard luck in 2018.

Without the VSC, last year's race would've made Merc looking as dominant as today. Let's see what the next 2 races bring.

#143 acf69

acf69

• 472 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:45

under normal circumstances there us no way Bottas ends up 30 seconds ahead of Lewis, and apparently he missed a piece of floor on his car. If I would be Bottas I would stay very silent after finally winning a race in a dominant car, his remarks will come back to haunt him!

#144 CL16

CL16

• 1,214 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:51

https://www.instagra...hid=5y0eb50q94l

More memes

#145 GunnarN7

GunnarN7

• 85 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:55

Team radio:

Certainly the "it's James" meme must've been infuriating, and also his sponsor dropping him and so on.

I also like this attitude, but yeah, this was only one race. He also started 2017 and 2018 reasonably well and then what happened. Keep the beard, stay focused.

#146 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,749 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:59

under normal circumstances there us no way Bottas ends up 30 seconds ahead of Lewis, and apparently he missed a piece of floor on his car. If I would be Bottas I would stay very silent after finally winning a race in a dominant car, his remarks will come back to haunt him!

A very bitter Lewis fan I recon... Lewis lost his race already in the start where the floor did not matter...

#147 P123

P123

• 16,140 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:04

Nah, they won't. His comments were well earned, and to those it may concern, well deserved. :) It must have been a great relief to him to finally win again. Can he beat LH over a season? I doubt it.

#148 as65p

as65p

• 22,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:11

I was just thinking the same. Would make sense, and I could totally relate to it.

#149 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 1,083 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:15

Good drive Valterri unlike Hamilton 😁

#150 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,148 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:22

Nah it was pent up frustration which needed to let out. Does not help when you have Ocon in the garage and his buddies in the press consoling him that he really should be in that Merc. No matter what Bottas does he has a long line of critics (or should I say Hamilton critics) waiting to attack him if he does not beat Lewis. He is between a rock and a hard place. This was his moment to finally let out what he thoughts about  his critics regardless what happens to his future.