Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Mercedes AMG F1 Team Thread (drivers, management, rumours and gossip!)

• Please log in to reply
2073 replies to this topic

#2051 peroa

peroa

• 10,231 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:02

Why was bottas in place of lewis in the press conference? Was he sick or was it to avoid questions about Niki

Apparently he's pathetic ...

Advertisement

#2052 Hela

Hela

• 127 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:24

Apparently he's pathetic ...

Peroa I still don't understand why John Watson came out with such an acidic comment. Lewis has paid his tribute and said kind words about Niki, not really sure why Watson is being such a ****, am sure he has a bee in his bonnet about something else.

I heard Toto also shunned some of his media duties in the wake of Niki's death, is he being pathetic as well or was that comment just reserved for Lewis

#2053 Zendroh

Zendroh

• 74 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:32

The amount of hate that John Watson and Jackie Stewart have towards Hamilton is on a different level compared to other drivers. I'm pretty sure that Watson wouldn't have said anything if it was another driver. I think Watson and Stewart are jealous of what Hamilton is achieving, that's why they make these stupid comments from time to time.

Edited by Zendroh, 23 May 2019 - 08:36.

#2054 Hela

Hela

• 127 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:38

Not sure what Lewis has done to either of them but I think despite all the nonsense Jackie has said about Lewis it annoys him even more that Lewis never responds or acknowledges like he exists and that really pisses Jackie off,  never made mention of him when he broke his British records and no nod towards him, I think Jackie likes all that sort of postulating but Lewis just ignores him as far as Jackie is concerned Lewis will never be as "smooth" as a real F1 driver should be  :)

#2055 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,657 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:39

This weekend will forever be known as the weekend Hamilton, simultaneously, didn't mourn correctly but also didn't play in a fun football match.

He also didn't get his written tribute to Niki out on Twitter quickly enough.

A stain on his career, without doubt.

#2056 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,911 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:45

The amount of hate that John Watson and Jackie Stewart have towards Hamilton is on a different level compared to other drivers. I'm pretty sure that Watson wouldn't have said anything if it was another driver. I think Watson and Stewart are jealous of what Hamilton is achieving, that's why they make these stupid comments from time to time.

Stewart is the one who constantly talks down Hamilton's performance, Watson the one who constantly talks down the human Hamilton (he has actually been quite fair in terms of his performances iirc) 

I'm not sure if they are "jealous" (although I suspect it pains Stewart that he lost his beloved records), but rather that they are irked that a driver who doesnt fit their standard of a racing driver is doing well.

Watson's comments are downright pathetic though, and so are many reactions on Social Media, and the reaction of that journalist who boed at the press conference. You have to wonder where all those people were in Budapest last year when Arrivabene, Kimi and Vettel skipped the media day due to Marchionne's death. Or why Toto is not being attacked in the same way. At best you can give Watson a pass that he was asked just about Hamilton and maybe his reaction wouldnt be all that different if being asked about others, but his track record makes me doubt that and it changes nothing that no matter which driver those comments are horrible.

#2057 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 433 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:19

Stewart is the one who constantly talks down Hamilton's performance, Watson the one who constantly talks down the human Hamilton (he has actually been quite fair in terms of his performances iirc) 

I'm not sure if they are "jealous" (although I suspect it pains Stewart that he lost his beloved records), but rather that they are irked that a driver who doesnt fit their standard of a racing driver is doing well.

Watson's comments are downright pathetic though, and so are many reactions on Social Media, and the reaction of that journalist who boed at the press conference. You have to wonder where all those people were in Budapest last year when Arrivabene, Kimi and Vettel skipped the media day due to Marchionne's death. Or why Toto is not being attacked in the same way. At best you can give Watson a pass that he was asked just about Hamilton and maybe his reaction wouldnt be all that different if being asked about others, but his track record makes me doubt that and it changes nothing that no matter which driver those comments are horrible.

I completed forgot about Kimi and Vettel skipping the media day. If I recall everyone said it was understandable.  But yes nothing new with the double standards in the press and some fans when it comes to Hamilton. 

#2058 monolulu

monolulu

• 871 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:33

Apparently Toto has just given a very emotional press conference about the grief the team feels

#2059 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 325 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:40

Lewis unfortunately is damned whatever he does. If he'd of gone to the press conference and wasn't very chatty, he'd have got grief for being a misery or something.

Like Marklar said, Ferrari were OK to skip media day after Marchionne's death, and rightly so. Hamilton has been given the same, it's clear he and Niki got on well and Niki was a driving force in getting Lewis into Merc. I'd imagine Romain and Kevin would skip media if anything happened to Gunther or Gene, or Max and Pierre if anything happened to Helmut or Christian. Doubt they'd get the same grief.

Drivers, and indeed all personnel in F1 are people at the end of the day. Some journos, ex-drivers, and 'fans' fail to see that.

Advertisement

#2060 Paco

Paco

• 2,674 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:58

Who cares what Watson thinks.... I don't.  Doubt Lewis does.  Doubt 99.99999% of f1 does.

Glad someone beat me to the Ferrari grieving after Arriv..

Plus, Most people get a lot of news from social media .. these old guys just don't get it (this coming from a 45yr old guy myself).  So what Lewis didn't want to cry on camera trying to answer comments... I wish all of MGP backed out of all pressers all weekend.  That would have been way better.  I hope lewis wears black overalls all weekend and a black helmut and not say a word publicly all weekend, even if he wins.

Too me, it was beyond evident Niki liked Lewis and the got on splendily.  I lost my father 25 years ago, and it still hurts, it still makes me emotional.  Let these team members and friends deal with it however the crap they want and STOP JUDGING.. freaking media..  If they want talk, fine.  They don't want to talk.. fine.

Edited by Paco, 23 May 2019 - 12:01.

#2061 robefc

robefc

• 12,204 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:07

Only just saw the Watson quotes via Twitter.

Changing the story from Niki's passing to Lewis's lack of attendance at a press conference is truly pathetic, whatever Watson may have though of it privately.

#2062 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 1,269 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:12

I really want to know which journalist boo'ed during the press conference, that was extremely unprofessional and disrespectful, attempting to turn Hamilton into a pantomime villain when one of Hamilton's mentors have died, this and Watson's comments have really riled me up.

#2063 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,911 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:28

I remember back in Spa 2012 this photographer Darren Heath complained about Hamilton being miserable after his aunt died. In some ways I did expected this disgraceful reaction again, but you are still foolish enough to hope that people are better than you think.

#2064 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 271 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:43

I remember back in Spa 2012 this photographer Darren Heath complained about Hamilton being miserable after his aunt died. In some ways I did expected this disgraceful reaction again, but you are still foolish enough to hope that people are better than you think.

Darren Heath is a bona fide moron so I‘m not at all surprised to hear that.

As for John Watson, enough has been said about him in other posts. I honestly doubt anybody who is somebody in F1 cares about what he spouts off about.

Toto shared a beautiful story about Niki at the aforementioned press conference.

After Mercedes won the WCC in Suzuka Niki & Toto were on a plane. I‘m not going to recount the whole thing but the salient bit was when Niki said, ”You know I don‘t have friends. But if there was something like a half-friend, you‘d be one.“

Almost made me cry all over again. This is going to be a tough weekend

#2065 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,152 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 20:28

https://sport.oe24.a...bahrt/381421735

Hamilton and Wolff will visit Lauda for the last time, I guess Bottas wasn't close with him?

#2066 Piif

Piif

• 1,193 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:05

Probably knew him for only these couple of years, compared to Lewis' 10 or something.

#2067 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,621 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:56

That is not important whether Bottas was close enough to attend the reqiuem, it is totally irrelevant.

I am more curious if this what happened will have a negative effect on the team in long term - Lauda gone, Zetsche gone, the one who is taking over after Zetsche does not have a good relationship with Wolff, Wollf offered a position in F1, lets see how long Wolff and Lewis can stay motivated and carry the flag of the team, because without them the Mercedes would not be the same anymore.

#2068 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 325 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:21

Mercedes would be a different animal without Lewis and Toto. At some point they will both move on elsewhere though, will be interesting to see what the next phase of Merc is, if indeed they remain in F1 in the future.

#2069 SirT

SirT

• 585 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:01

Red halo for Niki 

https://twitter.com/...898561946370048

#2070 Ickx

Ickx

• 816 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:58

Fitting

#2071 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 433 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:05

In fairness to Jackie Stewart defended Lewis decision to skip the press conference and even backed Lewis to win at Monaco for Niki. I guess perhaps the one and only time JS will openly support Lewis. 

#2072 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,064 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:56

What the very ****. So suddenly Watson has moral ownership on how grief, love, admiration, respect should and shouldn't be exhibited?

Though there is precedence with this where Kimi and Vettel were afforded the same space when Marchionne passed, it is irrelevant. Lewis' relationship with Lauda, his feelings about Lauda's passing, his grief, his way of showing it, or not showing it, it's all completely his business.

Edited by gillesfan76, Today, 01:07.

#2073 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,210 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:05

Aye, stupid comment from Watson. Hopefully someone wraps a milkshake round him at some point.

#2074 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 2,966 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:08

We shouldn't even be dignifying him with responses, just ignore the idiots, they aren't worth mulling over.