Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

2019 Red Bull: Max Verstappen and friends vs the world. Oh, and Gasly is there too.

• Please log in to reply
2444 replies to this topic

#601 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,413 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:13

Here we go again, hyperbolic all over

Advertisement

#602 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,978 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:14

Yes, thats how super competitive guys like him are. Everything and everyone has to be at 100% ,maybe thats why his Mercedes is "super"  ;)

comparing VER to HAM in his early days is interesting indeed - similar hype levels, very different reactions

Ofcourse I understand they're not robots, exactly my point, lucky for those who's pace is not their Achilles

#603 A3

A3

• 28,831 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:17

In the words of Mrs Mokbel, mother of Tony, Australia's most famous drug dealer, on the day he was found guilty of importing 800kg of cocaine - "not my Tony, he's a good boy!"

What a mature way to get out of a discussion. :up:

I'm intrigued, as an Aussie, do you think Ricciardo is mature?

Edited by A3, 17 April 2019 - 10:18.

#604 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 1,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:20

Mature.......age..... wankers...........spur of the moment reactions...............

I can recall Hamilton using the term 'dickhead'  .......in the cooldown room ?

#605 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 151 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:25

Just going by memory (barely having re-watched 1992)...

Patrese got flattered with a hyper dominant car, Gasly gets a distant 3rd car. 

Let's say Max is Mansell. Is young Gasly doing so much worse than veteran Patrese?

Gasly knows where he's losing the time. On pure talent, he should not be more than 3 tenths down. It will take work to bring it towards the typical deficit Ricciardo suffered and even that might be unfair to expect in the kid's second full season while Max is just getting better and the car harder to drive.

#606 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:32

What a mature way to get out of a discussion. :up:I'm intrigued, as an Aussie, do you think Ricciardo is mature?

Throwing towers and water during press conferences? Or, Hamilton, just playing on his phone constantly 2 years back?

#607 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,978 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:11

What a mature way to get out of a discussion. :up:

I'm intrigued, as an Aussie, do you think Ricciardo is mature?

My rose tinted glasses are only for McLaren, drivers come and go, although I do have a predisposition for Finns.

RIC can behave immaturely for 'shits and giggles' - what we call a larrikin - but you rarely see him spit the dummy when things are not going his way, but there is time for that too, now more than ever.

#608 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:14

My rose tinted glasses are only for McLaren, drivers come and go, although I do have a predisposition for Finns.

RIC can behave immaturely for 'shits and giggles' - what we call a larrikin - but you rarely see him spit the dummy when things are not going his way, but there is time for that too, now more than ever.

https://www.perthnow...80a0d7e8e5afd7f

Daniel Ricciardo ‘punched a wall in anger’ after US Grand Prix retirement

#609 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:23

https://www.perthnow...80a0d7e8e5afd7f

Daniel Ricciardo ‘punched a wall in anger’ after US Grand Prix retirement

Or his reaction when Marko refused to blame Max for their collusion.

#610 A3

A3

• 28,831 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:38

RIC can behave immaturely for 'shits and giggles' - what we call a larrikin - but you rarely see him spit the dummy when things are not going his way,

How about Austria qualifying last year?

Frustration does not equal immaturity. We all function in different ways.

I get that you have an opinion about Max, but you compared his radio outburst to Albon's post qualifying interview. I showed you what Max said after qualifying, so more comparable to Albon's situation (he had some time to reflect), but you chose not to respond to that.

#611 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 641 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:57

Ah, I hope you have stopped betting on him? Losing everytime will bankrupt you.  ;)

Don't pick his ones.  ;)

You devil  :p

I have learnt not to back Gasly on high speed tracks. We now know his issue is the unstable car magnified by his driving style. Hence why I am ready to put a bet on him in Baku. I am confident he will be a lot better this time and may shock everyone by out qualifying Max. 

#612 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:04

I have learnt not to back Gasly on high speed tracks. We now know his issue is the unstable car magnified by his driving style. Hence why I am ready to put a bet on him in Baku. I am confident he will be a lot better this time and may shock everyone by out qualifying Max.

To say it upfront. I would not be shocked, rather happy and positive foresight. There is nothing more helpful for Max and Team then a competitive Gasly.

#613 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,413 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:07

I would definitely be shocked if Gasly would outpace Max in Baku, bar Max making a big mistake I can't see that thappen.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 17 April 2019 - 12:08.

#614 mjjTT

mjjTT

• 146 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:21

I agree. I think VER calling other drivers "Wankers" when they got across the line and completed their final qually lap when he didn't might be verging on the immature. He never accepts responsibility for his failings...... IMHO

Something with "living" and "under a rock". Not sure why people keep repeating this as it's factual wrong and so easy to proof that it's a wrong statement. 

#615 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,012 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:40

Or his reaction when Marko refused to blame Max for their collusion.

Or flipping the finger after Hungary 2017 in the first lap shunt. 

The straight has high speed. ;) And I wouldn't bet on a unstable car+driver combo in a place with a lot of walls lining the track. :p

#616 A3

A3

• 28,831 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:52

Or flipping the finger after Hungary 2017 in the first lap shunt.

The flipping off list is quite long. Raikkonen in Monaco, Max in Hungary, Grosjean in Abu Dhabi, Bottas in Hungary. :drunk:

#617 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,540 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:53

As long as he finishes 6th he's good.

Who do you want to place next to Verstappen to match him? Of the current field, that would only be Hamilton.

Ocon, Leclerc, Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas... they would all finish 6th with this Red Bull. Maybe a bit closer to Verstappen, but still 6th.

I would love to see a max vs ocon lineup. I know it's not possible but that's fireworks.

#618 JeePee

JeePee

• 2,654 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 13:09

I would love to see a max vs ocon lineup. I know it's not possible but that's fireworks.

I don't think Ocon is on Max' level. Verstappen was already quicker when he was at the bottom of his learning curve in F3.

#619 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,540 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 13:36

I don't think Ocon is on Max' level. Verstappen was already quicker when he was at the bottom of his learning curve in F3.

Maybe so but those 2 would be the most feisty matchup out of that list.

Advertisement

#620 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 151 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 13:59

The straight has high speed.  ;) And I wouldn't bet on a unstable car+driver combo in a place with a lot of walls lining the track. :p

To be fair, which corners are to be considered high speed, then?

I do expect Gasly to be closer in Baku qualifying depsite a long lap. Just like I would expect RIC to be closer or even ahead on some circuits. But in this case we know where and why Gasly loses so much time. Baku seems to not offer many such corners. Because it's corners, obviously. 

To expect anyone to out-pace Max on even his least favorite circuit (he seems pretty allround) is becoming more an more of a stretch. Of course it happens to the very best. Senna and Hamilton also get pipped by Berger, Prost, Rosberg and Bottas. In a reasonable team and with a reasonable car, ALO-VAN doesn't happen. 
Eventually Gasly will come to grips with the car and Max will have a tough weekend for setup and getting all the sectors strung together. I don't expect that to be in Baku, but with the benefit of hindsight, the odds should indeed be much better. 3 races ago, I wouldn't know that Baku would be better than China other than that likely Gasly was to grow into the team and realistically be a bit on the back foot initially.

#621 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 14:00

Things chance, no need to replace Bottas if he continues like this
Ocon won't wait forever

#622 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,486 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 14:06

I'd say it's more common to find someone in F1 who acts immaturely than the other way around. Let's not pretend Max is the only one who says or does stupid s**t in the heat of the moment. No use nit picking..

#623 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,162 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 19:54

I'd say it's more common to find someone in F1 who acts immaturely than the other way around. Let's not pretend Max is the only one who says or does stupid s**t in the heat of the moment. No use nit picking..

You should hear me when I again bin my car in F1 2018!

#624 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,887 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 21:21

Vettel definitely has it over Max in terms of tantrums. Probably the only area he has it over Max.

#625 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,505 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 22:07

Cut the guy some slack !! Ricciardo has jumped into the Renault.........and

isn't setting the world on fire ?

Dan is far closer to his teammate (possibly even level or ahead now) than Gasly who is getting smacked at the moment by Max. Dan beat Hulk in qualli and the race (he was comfortably ahead before Hulk reported car issues) this time around and but for some FP sessions hasn't been far off in the other race weekends. Gasly needs to get it together soon or they may as well promote the Torpedo, at least he has pace and can help bring in some good WCC points for Red Bull.

Edited by gowebber, 17 April 2019 - 22:15.

#626 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 22:15

I just remember that Red Bull took ages to promote Gasly to STR in the first place, and that was only through circumstance anyway. He’s just a place holder for the next big thing. He’s only there because Ricciardo left. They would never have promoted him to RBR in a month of Sundays on merit.

If the next big thing ever comes, of course.

They’ve long since lost the ability to find the best young drivers. They’d be better looking beyond Helmut Marko’s pool.

#627 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,555 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 22:35

They’ve long since lost the ability to find the best young drivers. They’d be better looking beyond Helmut Marko’s pool.

They haven't lost any ability, they gained competition. Mercedes Ferrari and Renault have been aggressively hiring the last few years, that was definitely not the case 7 or 8 years ago, Red Bull had all the most promising kids.

#628 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,978 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:16

No doubt, but this is the VER GAS thread so I'm just staying on topic. God forbid I voice my opinion of HAMs behaviour in the HAM BOT thread - but at the moment nothing to add about that driver pairing.

#629 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,486 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:23

No doubt, but this is the VER GAS thread so I'm just staying on topic. God forbid I voice my opinion of HAMs behaviour in the HAM BOT thread - but at the moment nothing to add about that driver pairing.

I get that, and Max' comments may have been immature, but they shouldn't be framed in such a way that suggests he is the only one guilty of it. As Heyli indicates, if we lose our cool over a racing video game, imagine how these guys are going to react in the heat in the moment doing the real thing. Drivers deserve to be cut some slack in this area. So easy to criticise them for this sitting on the outside is all I'm saying.

#630 taran

taran

• 2,989 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:22

Then why did you add Albon to the mix?

I think it's been made clear to you that we can list numerous incidents in which other drivers like Vettel and Hamilton have acted similarly 'immature' by going off on other drivers when they felt they had been wronged.

The point is that you've taken an angry radio rant between driver and team and a media response from a driver and compared them. If you look as Verstappen's media response, it is a lot more calm and measured too.

#631 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 293 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:34

Vettel definitely has it over Max in terms of tantrums. Probably the only area he has it over Max.

And WDCs, wins, poles, points, fastest laps, money, moustache, age and the list goes on.

Max should win something soon.

#632 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,028 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:54

According to Horner Gasly needs to tweak his driving style: https://www.motorspo...d-bull/4372655/

#633 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 772 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 16:46

Gasly to start from the pit lane.

#634 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,028 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 16:51

Gasly to start from the pit lane.

Why?

Edit: missed weight bridge apparently. Ouch, costly mistake at a very bad time. Pressure will continue to mount if true.

Edited by FullOppositeLock, 26 April 2019 - 16:53.

#635 Rupert

Rupert

• 226 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:03

If I were Marko, I would put Albon on Barcelona or hire Kubica or other......

#636 Garndell

Garndell

• 789 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:09

Might want to bring the Torro Rosso pit crew with him since they guaranteed the penalty by working on the car.

#637 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 566 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:17

Gasly can't get a break.

#638 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,028 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:20

Might want to bring the Torro Rosso pit crew with him since they guaranteed the penalty by working on the car.

Doubt they would have known Pierre ignored a red light like.

#639 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,028 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:22

I have a surprised for you - Gasly is going to be very close to Max on this track.

I suppose the pit lane isn’t physically very far removed from the start finish straight ;)

Advertisement

#640 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 909 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:23

If I were Marko, I would put Albon on Barcelona or hire Kubica or other......

Kubica, lol!

#641 Rupert

Rupert

• 226 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 17:38

Kubica is doing great versus Russel, and that while driving a car with a damaged floor  :rolleyes: 

#642 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,991 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 20:56

I wouldn't. You would just be hurting Albon's F1 career by putting a very inexperienced driver with arguably the 2nd or 3rd best driver on the grid. 

Albon needs at least a season of experience before being thrown in the deep end.

Kubica? No. There are plenty of better drivers I'd rather have than Kubica.

Plus it does not go at all with the Red Bull philosophy. 

#643 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 4,431 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 00:11

Put Ocon in that seat, and Red Bull can finally be exciting again! 

#644 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:30

https://www.telegrap...O3r9vIVdoixFaiU

Struggling Pierre Gasly needs time but his plight underlines Max Verstappen's real value to Red Bull

#645 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 666 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:45

If I were Marko, I would put Albon on Barcelona or hire Kubica or other......

Sure Pierre is living under a sword of Damocles but missing a weight bridge as the trigger to get demoted is a bit to harsh. Even for mr. Helmut i would think.

#646 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 666 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:49

In Max' current form every teammate would look bad i assume.

#647 Sid04

Sid04

• 665 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:27

I would say if they need a good driver, they can try to get hulk for a 2-3 year contract. Hulk has already beaten one of their prodigies in Sainz, is currently showing he has the legs on Ric even though that might change if Ricciardo settles in better with the car as he says. Hulk is a fast and non political kind of driver, imo best suited to current requirement at Red Bull.

#648 A3

A3

• 28,831 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:48

First of all, Gasly won't be sacked.

But if we're talking about a hypothetical situation, Hamilton should be the one to replace him. :cool: new challenge and everything. Would bring fireworks to F1.

#649 Danyy

Danyy

• 1,973 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:49

Put Ocon in that seat, and Red Bull can finally be exciting again!

I don’t think Ocon wants to put Ocon in a seat next to Max

#650 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,028 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:58

I don’t think Ocon wants to put Ocon in a seat next to Max

Beats being Toto’s personal assistant on race weekends