Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

2019 Red Bull: Max Verstappen and friends vs the world. Oh, and there was Gasly too before Albon took over

• Please log in to reply
4254 replies to this topic

#51 Growing

Growing

• 467 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:15

I have to see the speeds in the sectors and the speed trap to realize how much of deficit from Mercedes is engine related. It was easier to see sectors speed on the old live timing app.

Advertisement

#52 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,173 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:15

Happy for Max great lap! :) Shame Gasly got caught out, Mercedes one lap pace is strong but hopefully we can be a bit closer on race day. Lewis should get an Oscar for that drivers press conference performance :lol:

#53 Arundo

Arundo

• 1,317 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:17

Second row is a great result for Max.  

Bad call to not give Gasly another run in Q1.

Regardless it's 1-0 to Max in Q

I thought they both stayed out for another timed lap and did not have time to get new tyres. Max did stay out and took some tenths out of his first time, and i believe Gasly also stayed out. But not sure they didnt show him nor did he improve his time if he stayed out so not really clear on this. 

Still a bit dissapointed by Redbull overall´s performance. Thought they would be closer. Hope this is just because Melbourne isnt a good indicator for the season.

#54 CharlesChornley

CharlesChornley

• 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:18

I have to see the speeds in the sectors and the speed trap to realize how much of deficit from Mercedes is engine related. It was easier to see sectors speed on the old live timing app.

Hamilton speeds for his fastest laps were S1 283, S2 287 and S3 304 - TRAP = 319

Verstappen speeds were S1 282, S2 284 and S3 306 - TRAP = 317

#55 Growing

Growing

• 467 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:23

Hamilton speeds for his fastest laps were S1 283, S2 287 and S3 304 - TRAP = 319

Verstappen speeds were S1 282, S2 284 and S3 306 - TRAP = 317

Thanks. Very closer than expected.

#56 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 21,458 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:25

Interesting how strategic blunders have become a thing at Red Bull. Their previous dominance was built in part on their ability to avoid them.

#57 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,188 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:27

I thought they both stayed out for another timed lap and did not have time to get new tyres. Max did stay out and took some tenths out of his first time, and i believe Gasly also stayed out. But not sure they didnt show him nor did he improve his time if he stayed out so not really clear on this. 

Still a bit dissapointed by Redbull overall´s performance. Thought they would be closer. Hope this is just because Melbourne isnt a good indicator for the season.

And so will the team be I think. The gap has grown from Melbourne last season it appears, even if Max' starting position is a bit better. Anyway, there is much work to be done (again) for the team to become genuine contenders. Especially Mercedes look streets ahead.

Disastrous qualifying session for Gasly although I don't think he's much to blame. The tenth difference to Max was the difference of being through to Q2 "comfortably" or out in Q1. The car is not good enough to take risks like this apparently, so the drivers need to deliver on their first fast lap(s) in Q1 and the team need to be ready to sacrifice a set of tyres to protect their position in cases where the field is so close and track evolution so strong.

#58 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,171 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:31

Interesting how strategic blunders have become a thing at Red Bull. Their previous dominance was built in part on their ability to avoid them.

It's easy to have a good strategy when you have the best car

#59 CharlesChornley

CharlesChornley

• 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:37

Thanks. Very closer than expected.

Honda are the real deal this season. Seeing them at the factory and how they go about their business was stunning. I don't know if it's because of their culture or work ethic, but it really is like watching poetry in motion. Meticulous in their methods and focused like you wouldn't believe.

I know they've had a rough few years recently, but i truly believe their worst days are behind them.

Advertisement

#60 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,188 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:41

It's easy to have a good strategy when you have the best car

True. The same goes for the earlier arguments in this thread about Leclerc being more mature than Max. Let's see how Leclerc handles having to fight faster cars (if indeed he can) in races like Max has had to do for the majority of the last few years. If Max had the fastest car he would instantly look a lot more mature and the team would instantly make less strategic errors like with Gasly today.

#61 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,173 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:49

True. The same goes for the earlier arguments in this thread about Leclerc being more mature than Max. Let's see how Leclerc handles having to fight faster cars (if indeed he can) in races like Max has had to do for the majority of the last few years. If Max had the fastest car he would instantly look a lot more mature and the team would instantly make less strategic errors like with Gasly today.

To add to this Max is a better wet weather driver judging from last year too

#62 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:20

And so will the team be I think. The gap has grown from Melbourne last season it appears, even if Max' starting position is a bit better.

Queue, why?

#63 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,852 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:28

What a tough one for Gasly, wow. A really bad start for him overall.

Great job from Max to split the Ferraris.

#64 zanquis

zanquis

• 4,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 14:52

I am half French. Does that count? :p

Which half?
How are you divided? Left/right? Top/down? Or front/back?

#65 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,171 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 15:18

Honda are the real deal this season. Seeing them at the factory and how they go about their business was stunning. I don't know if it's because of their culture or work ethic, but it really is like watching poetry in motion. Meticulous in their methods and focused like you wouldn't believe.

I know they've had a rough few years recently, but i truly believe their worst days are behind them.

I think they learned a LOT in those difficult years.

#66 RobG

RobG

• 867 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:43

Great drive by Max, one of the few overtakes on Vettel was great to see!

Dissapointed in Gasly, newer softer tires but still not able to pass Kvyat.

#67 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:44

Superb drive from Max. The overtake on Vettel was so well crafted. A podium in the first race with Honda power is an excellent result.

Not sure what to think about Gasly's effort.  :confused:  Only early but I think Max will have Gasly's measure.

#68 KavB

KavB

• 1,402 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:51

Wow. Did Gasly even make one overtake in this race?

How on earth did he finish outside the points?

#69 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,790 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:52

Wow. Did Gasly even make one overtake in this race?

How on earth did he finish outside the points?

No. He did get overtaken once. (straight out of the pit though, but still)

#70 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 2,243 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:54

Gasly need to up his game.

Unless he will be replaced by Kvyat really soon.

#71 A3

A3

• 29,324 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:00

Excellent result for Max, disappointed with Gasly. Well done Honda!

#72 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 867 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:03

Max passes a Ferrari while Pierre can’t overtake a Torro Rosso, ambarassing

Edited by Ramses1348, 17 March 2019 - 07:03.

#73 PassWind

PassWind

• 6,733 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:05

As long as Gasly stays out of Max's way he will be fine, not sure how much Redbull values the WCC aside from the prize money but he wasn't a finished product at Torro Rosso he still needs to learn his craft. 

#74 Thatfastguy

Thatfastguy

• 1,063 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:05

Fantastic race by Max. Gasly really dissapointing. He’ll come good though. Congrats to Honda as well: a podium while the first Renault engine has already gone boom.

Edited by Thatfastguy, 17 March 2019 - 07:06.

#75 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:06

Gasly need to up his game.

Unless he will be replaced by Kvyat really soon.

That thought crossed my mind when Kvyat overtook him. 

#76 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,759 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:09

Which half?
How are you divided? Left/right? Top/down? Or front/back?

Either the left or right hand side set of chromosones are French: depending on if you look from front or back.   ;)   :p

#77 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,791 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:09

Nice job from Max today to grab 3rd. Made Lewis work hard to hold 2nd. Honda engine performed nicely too. Ahead of both Ferrari's, who would have thought that before the race. Looking positive for Red Bull so far. 👍

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 07:10.

#78 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,036 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:10

Gasly did the same race as Bottas last year.

Pretty flat and disciplined.

Basically what Marko asked after his crashes in testing.

His week end was done after the qualy blinder.

#79 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,062 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:11

Gasly is a coward  :down:

Advertisement

#80 Kao18

Kao18

• 3,489 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:16

Very early days and no need to write off Gasly after one race starting from the back but it doesn't look like he will be a serious challenge for Max this season. Still many races to improve though.

Leclerc also somewhat underwhelming today imo.

Max drove a very strong race with a great move on Seb. Just a small minus for that little off. Things definitely look promising for the season ahead.

#81 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:17

It will be a very long season for Gasly (or alternatively, very short one…)

#82 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,868 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:22

Gasly did not convince with race craft, but that doesn't say anything about how he'll do in a 'normal' race.

He was pretty close to Max in Q1, first run was actually faster. If he had improved in the second run, Max might have had to start from P17... It's a very thin line and if things fall in his favor it might be completely different.

Nevertheless, he was on fresh softs versus older mediums of Kvyat and he should have made quick work of that, especially when Kvyat did not have DRS due to Stroll.

#83 barzini

barzini

• 1,904 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:26

KVYAT will replace Gasly after Spain and will win Monaco for ultimate redemption!

#84 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,036 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:31

Gasly overtake button did not work according Marko.
So it explains why he had no top speed for overtaking .

#85 Booky36

Booky36

• 209 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:38

KVYAT will replace Gasly after Spain and will win Monaco for ultimate redemption!

ohhh already peoples killing on Gasly,  after  RB errors at him in Qualif,  starting at the back of the pack you can bet honda turned off on a  cruise mode his engine as on this track its hard to pass..

#86 Arundo

Arundo

• 1,317 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:56

Great race by Max, good to see that Honda can make a good engine. Still not sure how the field will look like in a few races as Melbourne is most of the time not the benchmark for the season.

Gasly had a though weekend due to the qualify and seems to have an issue with the overtake button. But still he could be a bit more feisty in his approach. Sure the trakc is not suited for overtake and if you miss the overtake button its even harder. But he should have kept Kvyat behind him after the pits, he did not really defend on that one. 

#87 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,097 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:57

Very strong race by Max. Was a late 2018 esq race for him.

I felt Gasly was poor, I doubt Daniel would have stayed behind cars like that.

#88 zanquis

zanquis

• 4,324 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:58

Gasly did not convince with race craft, but that doesn't say anything about how he'll do in a 'normal' race.

He was pretty close to Max in Q1, first run was actually faster. If he had improved in the second run, Max might have had to start from P17... It's a very thin line and if things fall in his favor it might be completely different.

Nevertheless, he was on fresh softs versus older mediums of Kvyat and he should have made quick work of that, especially when Kvyat did not have DRS due to Stroll.

Ehh I think you missed out that Max was still faster than Kimi and Vettel, he was less than a tenth of the edge but there where bigger naes behind Max that would have been bumped first. But it has been rare for a driver to be bumped in Q1 while only being a second slower than Nr1

#89 A3

A3

• 29,324 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:58

Apparently Gasly's overtake button didn't work, so that would have hindered him in getting some extra power.

#90 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,036 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:05

Gasly said that he did not defend on Kvyat because his rear tyres were Cold.
He nearly locked them.
It would have been unecessary to crash with another Red bull car according to him.

#91 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,759 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:08

He nearly locked them.
It would have been unecessary to crash with another Red bull car according to him.

STR need the point more than RBR anyway.  RBR will get many WCC points later on.  :up:

It must be said RBR technical team with Newey (chief technical officer), Rob Marshall (engineering director), Pierre Wache (suspension guy/technical director), Dan Fallows (aero guy) and Paul Monaghan (chief engineer) is fantastic and does not in any way need to be changed.  :clap:  :clap: Super team indeed.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/team

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 17 March 2019 - 08:15.

#92 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,097 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:16

He nearly locked them.

He got 0 points so it didn't make any difference. 

#93 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,036 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:23

Had he crashed on Kvyat,Marko would have given him a hairdryer moment after his two test crashes.
Now Marko is not and cannot criticise him for messing up the week-end.

#94 A3

A3

• 29,324 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:24

He got 0 points so it didn't make any difference.

What. Would not have been good for his image had he crashed with Kvyat. At least Kvyat got a point.

#95 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,062 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:31

He nearly locked them.

Do you think Max would had let Kvyat by so easily? Gasly drove like a coward it is as simple as that. 

#96 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,036 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:35

Max has more credit in the team than Gasly, a blunder from Gasly would've been far more problematic.

The only way Gasly could've held up Kvyat was by braking later which was complicated by cold tyres.

That is pretty simple.

#97 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:36

Err no, Kimi was 15th, not Max.

Anyway, good race from Max and the podium and 15 points on the board at a track that doesn’t normally suit Red Bull represents a great start to the season. Hopefully they’ll be closer to the Mercs next time (and the Ferrari’s don’t find the speed their preseason testing promised).

I find it hard to judge Gasly’s race since the track is hard to overtake at and he seemingly couldn’t deploy a higher engine mode to help overtaking, but it wasn’t a great start to his RBR time all things considered.

Edited by FullOppositeLock, 17 March 2019 - 08:43.

#98 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 404 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:44

Gosh, if you were Red Bull tonight, you'd be talking about championship possibilities surely?  Max was able to walk up toward Lewis with ease any time he lost momentum (traffic, mistake etc).  It was a great race and the car looks great.

Everyone was looking towards Ferrari to break Mercedes dominance but just maybe Red Bull and Max can do it.  There's no doubt in ability Max can do it, if the car stays reliable I also think Red Bull will win the development war.

Such great news for Honda too, finally with a top team (sorry McLaren) and instant results, from all the rumours around here about the number of engines on Dynos, packaging, improvements, work ethic, they may well be the powerhouse they hoped to be.

Its important, for the team to catch Mercedes before Ferrari catch them (although sorry, I'd still prefer Vettel to win overall  :) but a Max championship fight would be fantastic for the sport)

#99 Zerobyte

Zerobyte

• 99 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:45

Super race from Max en well deserved 3e, and high hopes for the upcoming races.

Advertisement

#100 Laptom

Laptom

• 341 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:50

Yep, me too. Pretty convinced Daniel would top off the top 6 at the end of the race...