2019 Renault F1: Ricciardo, Hulk and other Enstone goings-on

• Please log in to reply
4471 replies to this topic

#51 Reddington

Reddington

• 614 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:17

I'm in the penske box overlooking pits today. Just rubbing it in :p

While we clearly don’t agree so much on this forum, but that is pretty cool! Enjoy it.

Edited by Reddington, 17 March 2019 - 04:29.

Advertisement

#52 DeVol

DeVol

• 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:15

Hulk's performance is fairly encouraging.

#53 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:15

Dan's third DNF in Australia. A disappointing weekend all round for Dan.

Good to see Hulk competitive and near the front of the midfield pack. :up:

#54 DeVol

DeVol

• 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:22

Dan's third DNF in Australia. A disappointing weekend all round for Dan.

Good to see Hulk competitive and near the front of the midfield pack. :up:

Ricciardo had a great start and was making up places, briefly.  :rotfl:

Yep I think Renault has decent race pace, so that can be built on. 

#55 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:41

Very disappointing for Dan. Risky move but when do you ever see a wing lost on the grass on a straight without even touching the wall or another car.?? He had pretty good pace even with damage early on those hards. Was lapping faster than even Grosjean in 6th for a while. Nice from Hulk to grab 7th. Seemed pretty even with Haas if not faster alot of the race.

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 06:50.

#56 DeVol

DeVol

• 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:45

After 1 Rd.

RS-AUS.jpg

Edited by DeVol, 17 March 2019 - 06:58.

#57 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:04

Great start to the season for Hulk. Well deserved 7th. Not a good weekend for Dan but hopefully he's getting a handle on the car and will keep improving. 

Definitely going to be an interesting battle between these two throughout the year.

#58 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,164 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:11

Their race performance looked stronger. It felt like Hulk was being held up behind the Haas. 

#59 Laster

Laster

• 2,022 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:12

Very unfortunate for Ricc, we’ve seen drivers take to the grass a lot over the years and not lose a wing, I wonder if there was just a bump out there that caused it, or whether it was these new front wings being so big, or the front of the Renault running quite low.

I don’t think there’s any comparing their respective paces today after that - Ricc had bargeboard damage too from that point on. But I think Hulk drove very well, making a great start to jump three places and then nearly jumped both Haas with one stop. Very good drive from him and well earned.

Edited by Laster, 17 March 2019 - 07:13.

Advertisement

#60 danstheman

danstheman

• 413 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:14

Yeah ideal strategy would have probably been about 20 or so laps on the soft then mediums for the final stint

Shame for Dan but we move on. I'm holding station a little until the next race or two before declaring the season a failure to meet expectations

#61 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:14

Apparently there is some sort of drain there where Dan hit. What's the bet that's not there next year lol

#62 danstheman

danstheman

• 413 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:16

Very unfortunate for Ricc, we’ve seen drivers take to the grass a lot over the years and not lose a wing, I wonder if there was just a bump out there that caused it, or whether it was these new front wings being so big, or the front of the Renault running quite low.

I don’t think there’s any comparing their respective paces today after that - Ricc had bargeboard damage too from that point on. But I think Hulk drove very well, making a great start to jump three places and then nearly jumped both Haas with one stop. Very good drive from him and well earned.

Yes there was a little concrete service road running at 90 degrees to the track and the grass edge of the road is slightly raised. I'm sure for next year this will be fixed. Shame it had to happen to Dan though but such is life.

https://goo.gl/maps/TvFj7gn4zv22

Edited by danstheman, 17 March 2019 - 07:17.

#63 born1983

born1983

• 173 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:16

Their race performance looked stronger. It felt like Hulk was being held up behind the Haas.

Hulk’s performance in the race was very encouraging. Bad weekend for Daniel (what was he thinking at the start !?), bit still early days.

#64 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:17

Yeah ideal strategy would have probably been about 20 or so laps on the soft then mediums for the final stint

Shame for Dan but we move on. I'm holding station a little until the next race or two before declaring the season a failure to meet expectations

Why would it be a failure this early? Need to see if we can hold 4th and close the gap by the end of the season.

#65 age

• 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:18

Early days but the Ricciardo to Renault move has a lot of Alonso to mclaren move about it. 

#66 born1983

born1983

• 173 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:19

Early days but the Ricciardo to Renault move has a lot of Alonso to mclaren move about it.

Going to a worse car is difficult. Has to adapt to the limitations of the car.

#67 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:21

Apparently there is some sort of drain there where Dan hit. What's the bet that's not there next year lol

Oh the organizers will be pretty bummed that Ricciardo exited the race due to that "issue"...

#68 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:27

Agree. I think in this midfield battle, the team needs to look at the season and in particular the tracks where difficult to pass, and prioritize track position.  Throwing Hulk onto the hards when he could have undercut Magnussen if he tooks softs was dissapointing. Hindsight 20/20 but still...

They need to be in Q3 in Bahrain, no exceptions.  And Ricciardo might continue to underperform for us because let's face it, the Renault is a dog compared to the Red Bull.

Remember when Dan said the Renault was similar to the RB14? Yeah, utter bs....  The only thing similar between the two would be the 4 Pirelli tires and the V6 Turbo engine....We don't have brakes or stability, and Hulk just drives around it.  I'm concerned Dan won't perform until they actually fix the car.  

It's actually becoming clear that Hulkenberg is punching above his weight in the car which has some flaws.   Sainz, Palmer ( :p ), and Ricciardo don't like this Renault so far.

Excited for the so called "updates" they plan to bring.  But god, please sort out the brakes for Ricciardo. And the steering for Trulli  :p

Edited by ARTGP, 17 March 2019 - 07:35.

#69 DeVol

DeVol

• 965 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:29

Tad early for that assessment.

#70 age

• 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:34

Tad early for that assessment.

Yeah possibly, but seriously, can you see Renault turning things around?  I can't.  They will not get close in this engine formula.  By time 2021 comes around the horse would have bolted.  DR will be a yesterdays driver.  Last year he constantl y spoke about how his time was now, yet he goes to a team that has no hope really.   Should have stayed with Red Bull, least he would have had half a chance of better success. 

#71 stillwater

stillwater

• 646 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:37

Dan had pace in clear air on the hard tyres

He was frequently faster than all but the front 5.

(for his first 20 laps on whites... after that things fell apart)

So there is pace.

But even so that leaves them fighting over 7-8 with little to no chance of taking it to the front 6 cars.

Solid race by NH

Edited by stillwater, 17 March 2019 - 07:41.

#72 A3

A3

• 29,487 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:41

Oh the organizers will be pretty bummed that Ricciardo exited the race due to that "issue"...

Grass is not part of the track and track walks are done for a reason. I don't think the organizers will feel bad about his incident.

#73 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:46

Yeah I was watching the live timing and despite the damage Dan was faster than all but the top 5 for a fair few laps. Would loved to have seen the pace on the mediums. All in all I still believe Renault are 4th and have a promising base to build on for this season. It will be disappointing though if we don't close most if not all of the gap to 3rd by the end of the year.

#74 danstheman

danstheman

• 413 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:47

Grass is not part of the track and track walks are done for a reason. I don't think the organizers will feel bad about his incident.

Cmon there's a difference between grass and a dangerous raised edge perpendicular and literally up to the edge of the track

Untitled.png

#75 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:48

Cmon how many drivers know every bump/hole around a track let alone would remember it during the adrenaline charged 1st lap mayhem. Stop trying to create drama in this thread to amuse yourself.

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 07:49.

#76 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,160 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:49

Hulk made up 3 places at the start? Nice.

Well. It's race one, that's true. But you can't blame people for saying it looks like he made the wrong decision. I'm still uncertain.

I think max had dan slightly shaded pace wise, but due to his situation would probably have some favouritism by red bull, which is actually understandable. So it's a tough choice. He was never going to win a WDC with red bull.

#77 A3

A3

• 29,487 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:50

Cmon there's a difference between grass and a dangerous raised edge perpendicular and literally up to the edge of the track

Untitled.png

It's not a permanent circuit. As I said, they do track walks for a reason.

#78 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:52

It's not a permanent circuit. As I said, they do track walks for a reason.

What if he was walking down the left side of the track there? Is he supposed to criss cross side to side checking every nook and cranny. Maybe he needs a measuring tape as well to make sure the front wing height clears everything as well while he is at it. Please. Give it a rest.

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 07:53.

#79 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,035 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:53

Going into the grass is a big risk, even if there wouldn't have been that stretch of tarmac. Big bumps in the grass with 300 km/h don't work out well.

Kudos for stopping the car into T1, most guys would have slammed into someone else there. But a big mistake with big consequences. Luckily Haas made a big mistake as well.

Hulk has the measure of Ricciardo so far.

Advertisement

#80 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,934 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:54

What if he was walking down the left side of the track there? Is he supposed to criss cross side to side checking every nook and cranny. Please. Give it a rest.

Track walks normally start from the pit exit and end in the pit entry Robert Doornbos said on Dutch TV, so they normally don’t even walk the home straight.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 17 March 2019 - 07:55.

#81 A3

A3

• 29,487 posts

Cmon how many drivers know every bump/hole around a track let alone would remember it during the adrenaline charged 1st lap mayhem. Stop trying to create drama in this thread to amuse yourself.

Ah you need to take it personal again. This is no one's fault but Dan's, **** happens. Just like Max damaged his car last year going too aggressive over the kerbs. I just want people to call it like it is and not try to blame someone else.

#82 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,543 posts

Hulk made up 3 places at the start? Nice.

Well. It's race one, that's true. But you can't blame people for saying it looks like he made the wrong decision. I'm still uncertain.

I think max had dan slightly shaded pace wise, but due to his situation would probably have some favouritism by red bull, which is actually understandable. So it's a tough choice. He was never going to win a WDC with red bull.

I think people seriously misunderstood the situation if they feel Daniel made a mistake leaving Red Bull.

The only mistake Daniel could have made was staying at Red Bull and becoming depressed and feeling undervalued.  It was more a mental and morale that he needed, not just chasing a fast car for the next year. Obviously he wanted to go to Ferrari or Mercedes, but he 100% needed to get out of Red Bull because they were not going to let him win a championship EVER.

#83 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:55

Yeah that braking and avoidance was very good from Dan, like you said alot would have taken out half the field there I reckon with that loss of downforce.

#84 A3

A3

• 29,487 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:55

Track walks normally start from the pit exit and end in the pit entry Robert Doornbos said on Dutch TV, so they normally don’t walk the home straight.

A lesson learned then I guess.

#85 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:57

Ah you need to take it personal again. This is no one's fault but Dan's, **** happens. Just like Max damaged his car last year going too aggressive over the kerbs. I just want people to call it like it is and not try to blame someone else.

Not really, your just trying to start something which is complete unnecessary making out like he should have known that was going to happen. Show me another time down a straight that happens on the grass.

#86 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:59

We didn't blame anyone else. All we said is that the organizers would feel bad because Ricciardo is there home boy!!  Even if it was 100% Ricciardo's fault, as an Australian, you feel for him.

#87 born1983

born1983

• 173 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:00

Not really, your just trying to start something which is complete unnecessary making out like he should have known that was going to happen. Show me another time down a straight that happens on the grass.

Come on, I also really like Dan. But, if you go on the grass, you always take a huge risk....

#88 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:01

Also, is not the first time Australia has dangerous "tarmac". See Timo Glock incident from 2008.

https://www.youtube....h?v=dwXXniZFaqQ

#89 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,035 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:02

Also, is not the first time Australia has dangerous "tarmac". See Timo Glock incident from 2008.

https://www.youtube....h?v=dwXXniZFaqQ

I prefer these kind of grass run offs compared to the parking lots of Paul Ricard. Now a mistake is punished and drivers are encouraged to stay on the track.

#90 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:03

Yeah but barely 2 wheels on the grass on the straight I have never ever seen a front wing go like that. Purely unlucky, trying to say he should have known that hole was there is just nonsense.

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 08:04.

#91 danstheman

danstheman

• 413 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:05

Yeah he took a risk and it backfired. No arguments there. Still somewhat unlucky though IMO 

#92 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:05

I prefer these kind of grass run offs compared to the parking lots of Paul Ricard. Now a mistake is punished and drivers are encouraged to stay on the track.

I'm not sayinng the grass run off is the problem. The problem is having random strips of tarmac, or stunt ramps hidden inside the dirt.

Going off into the grass is consequence enough, sometimes the driver loses control and goes wide. Having hidden stunt ramps is nuts...

#93 A3

A3

• 29,487 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:13

Yeah but barely 2 wheels on the grass on the straight I have never ever seen a front wing go like that. Purely unlucky, trying to say he should have known that hole was there is just nonsense.

Maybe it has something to do with the really low front wing of the Renault?

#94 A3

A3

• 29,487 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:14

I'm not sayinng the grass run off is the problem. The problem is having random strips of tarmac, or stunt ramps hidden inside the dirt.

Going off into the grass is consequence enough, sometimes the driver loses control and goes wide. Having hidden stunt ramps is nuts...

Again, it’s not a permanent circuit.

#95 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:14

Ricciardo was a fair way up the inside of Perez with room either side before Perez moved across. It was only then that it seems when Dan was committed he was onto the grass. Perez didn't exactly give him much room.

SkKOzV.jpg

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 08:16.

#96 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:16

Ricciardo was a fair way up the inside of Perez and going fairly straight before Perez moved across. It was only then that it seems when Dan was committed he was onto the grass. Perez didn't exactly give him much room despite having heaps himself on the left.

SkKOzV.jpg

Just watched the replay, there was plenty of room to stay on the tarmac.

#97 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:20

Would have thought edging the grass would have been better than risking bumping wheels in heavy traffic like that especially when you don't expect that ramp/hole there. Seemed like a fairly natural reaction from Dan to Perez jinking right a bit. Maybe a little cautious but how often does Dan collide with other cars. Again I say very unlucky.

#98 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,543 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:21

Yeah but you guys are forgetting. We are looking at this from the outside and it's super clear.

This is what he actually sees from his helmet, aka nothing: https://www.youtube....h?v=PcL7I1NSQDs

Wonder why Gasly crashed in Barcelona, or why Bottas spun out in Free practice?  They cannot perceive the position of the outside the tire or the front wing all that well.

Given what we know of the Racing Point drivers, he probably moved in an abundance of caution because the body language of the Racing Point was not great. He was going to try to chop his nose off.

And also you can see that Nico is on the other side of the Racing point trying to close the door on the inside too. Dan probably saw that too, and just didn't want the RP to not see him neore he got fully alongside

Edited by ARTGP, 17 March 2019 - 08:23.

#99 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,854 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:28

Onboard of Dans start. Doesn't look like alot of room from that angle and would be even worse for Dan to see from his viewpoint. Was there even a raised part on that first section of concrete before the second one? Doesn't look like it to me.

If that raised part wasn't there it would have been a great move.

https://streamable.com/exeu7

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 08:35.

Advertisement

#100 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 416 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:35

Wow, you trolled BOTH Renault threads??????  Geez Louise........