* * * * * 1 votes

2019 Renault F1: Ricciardo, Hulk and other Enstone goings-on

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#101 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:36

There was plenty of discussion last year about perception and awareness of other cars and all that.
These guys should know how much space they have and he had plenty

Advertisement

#102 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:47

Yep, he did, but it was a rapidly diminishing gap.

I'd like to see just 1 person who isn't a Max fan to say it was entirely Dan's fault then I'd be happy to have the discussion.

#103 born1983

born1983

• 173 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:50

Wow, you trolled BOTH Renault threads?????? Geez Louise........

The Red Bull thread is unfortunately quite boring without you massive Dan fans. Miss you guys!

On a more serious note. Unlucky weekend for Dan (Q, R), partly caused by his own risk taking. Still, he is a great driver and will bounce back. Hulk seems very strong though..

#104 born1983

born1983

• 173 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:51

Yep, he did, but it was a rapidly diminishing gap.

I'd like to see just 1 person who isn't a Max fan to say it was entirely Dan's fault then I'd be happy to have the discussion.

Why so black and white. He takes a big risk by going on the grass. This time it bit him. That’s unlucky but of course also caused by his initial risky decision.

#105 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:01

Why so black and white. He takes a big risk by going on the grass. This time it bit him. That’s unlucky but of course also caused by his initial risky decision.

No no, not black and white at all, thats the point, as you correctly pointed out, it WAS unlucky, and also there's risk going on the grass, but, in fairness, answer this, would any driver in the field have lifted at that point?  Not a chance, he was committed, he had to do it, its really that simple isn't it?

So no, I'm not the black and white one, and you're not the Max fan in here stirring stuff up, you're providing your point of view which may indeed differ to mine, but at least it's measured and not deliberately inflammatory.  This is why I didn't join the forum for years, but now it would be nice to just enjoy the banter with Hulk fans (which includes me anyway) and not have the toxic rivalry.

#106 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,720 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:04

There was plenty of discussion last year about perception and awareness of other cars and all that.
These guys should know how much space they have and he had plenty

What a load of rubbish. That was pure bad luck. He was committed to the pass and the drivers view is way less enlightening than what we see overhead or higher up. There was NO way he could have avoided or known about that raised section during the pass. I would have said the same for any other driver too. 

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 09:05.

#107 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,868 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:05

He had enough room, took a risk, went bad. That's it.

Good to see hulk had some strength and there is good hope there.

By the way, where are the hulkenberg fans! It still seems like max v dan.

#108 Arundo

Arundo

• 1,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:07

Shame for Daniel, he took a bit of risk and had some bad luck. Should he be on the grass in a perfect world no but then again we have seen plenty of drivers going through the grass in the past without issues. Seeing Max plow through the grass could have cost him his wing aswell. Renault seems to be in the top of the midfield so hope they can keep there and make the step to the top 3.

O speaking about grass moves:

Edited by Arundo, 17 March 2019 - 09:07.

#109 Laster

Laster

• 1,956 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:12

We’re around. But it’s one race and Dan was unlucky with how that start panned out. I’m pleased with Hulk’s weekend but its early days, and the season is long.

#110 Ferrari412T2

Ferrari412T2

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:14

Good to see hulk had some strength and there is good hope there.

Hulk fan here, even though I'm a Ferrari fan at heart I've always thought highly of The Hulk. Would be nice if he finally gets the chance to show what he can do with the right equipment.

I rate Daniel too but I think he will have a hard time, at least in the first half of the season.

#111 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 171 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:14

The Red Bull thread is unfortunately quite boring without you massive Dan fans. Miss you guys!

Be constructive, or stay in the RBR thread and have a Max circle jerk.

#112 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:15

There you go

#113 stillwater

stillwater

• 629 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:18

We’re around. But it’s one race and Dan was unlucky with how that start panned out. I’m pleased with Hulk’s weekend but its early days, and the season is long.

NH outperformed DR this weekend

Both had issues and NH came out on top.

I think it will get harder for NH to do that as the year goes on and would point to DRs pace with broken barge-board and on the hard tyres as evidence.

Having said that.... as you say... ONE RACE :)

#114 danstheman

danstheman

• 408 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:19

Oh my god, a balanced and fair view, I'm not used to this. Too many years of putting up with Max v Dan threads

#115 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 171 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:25

Dan has a great start. He was pretty unlucky really. He was right alongside when the RP car squeezed him. He probably moved over more than necessary, but if they had made contact, he would likely have ended up in the wall, and a massive accident. He did an amazing job to make turn 1 without barrelling into half the field. It reiterated the feel he has on the brakes.

Nico had a good clean race, and showed the Renault isn’t dead slow.

Onwards we go. All in all, there are positives going forward.

#116 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,246 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:41

NH outperformed DR this weekend

Both had issues and NH came out on top.

I think it will get harder for NH to do that as the year goes on and would point to DRs pace with broken barge-board and on the hard tyres as evidence.

Having said that.... as you say... ONE RACE :)

NH did outperform DR this weekend, DR said as much early on in the weekend.

What was DRs pace on the hards? I didn't have live timing, just curious as to whether it seemed as bad as his long runs in practice even with a broken barge-board.

I think he will bounce back in Bahrain, he generally does well there.

#117 born1983

born1983

• 173 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:47

Be constructive, or stay in the RBR thread and have a Max circle jerk.

I am constructive. I just think that Dan took a risk bu moving on the grass and that bit him this time.

I am a Max fan, but also like Dan and NH. Why is that so hard to believe?

#118 stillwater

stillwater

• 629 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:49

NH did outperform DR this weekend, DR said as much early on in the weekend.

What was DRs pace on the hards? I didn't have live timing, just curious as to whether it seemed as bad as his long runs in practice even with a broken barge-board.

I think he will bounce back in Bahrain, he generally does well there.

Just from memory...

DR was frequently 0.5s faster than the cars in p6,7,8

Several times I noted him putting in laps over a second faster than the front of the mid pack

Obviously allot faster than the cars close to him (poor Williams are in very bad shape)

Its not meant to point to him being that fast head to head.

Just that the pace was there and even with damaged barge-board and on the hard compound he was able to put in good laps.

Shortly after NH came in for a tyre change DRs times fell off a cliff 

That being said. there is no way in hell they are going to catch the front 3 teams

Edited by stillwater, 17 March 2019 - 09:54.

#119 A3

A3

• 29,197 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:54

O speaking about grass moves:

Permanent circuit. :)

Advertisement

#120 Arundo

Arundo

• 1,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:54

That being said. there is no way in hell they are going to catch the front 3 teams

That will be a though one yes, but the gap is closer this year so on some circuits they might be in the mix. As for the Renault engine, according to Sainz he had the same issues as in wintertesting. Renault really needs to get their act together if they want to challenge the top 3. 

But again lets see just the first race. 

#121 A3

A3

• 29,197 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:13

Ricciardo knows the Dutch don't bleep away swear words: :lol:
https://streamable.com/nh7zt
(There's a BBC jouno next to him)

And this RIC fan predicted it well:
https://i.imgur.com/1grO5tE.jpg

Edited by A3, 17 March 2019 - 10:26.

#122 danstheman

danstheman

• 408 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:22

Haha yeah amazing to think that he actually made some positions back to the apex of T1, then of course immediately passed again into the corner, but nicely done lol

#123 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:26

There you go

Yep, and a totally fair remark about the issue.  Nothing about Dan not doing a good enough job on his pit walk etc.

I did say show me 1 fan who isn't a Max fan say its fully Ricciardo's fault, not sure Golden Boy's example does that, are you?

#124 Arundo

Arundo

• 1,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:28

Permanent circuit. :)

#125 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,613 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:34

Well that was sh!t... 

On a positive note - that was just about Dan's best start EVER so I hope that we see more of that this season, less of the losing the front wing thing though would be good.

Well done to the Hulk - still finished a lap down on the leaders though...  :well:

#126 A3

A3

• 29,197 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:34

Nice one, he was bout 10 metres from the edge of the track. :lol:

Edited by A3, 17 March 2019 - 10:34.

#127 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,527 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:50

Well that was sh!t... 

On a positive note - that was just about Dan's best start EVER so I hope that we see more of that this season, less of the losing the front wing thing though would be good.

Well done to the Hulk - still finished a lap down on the leaders though...  :well:

Only on Bottas though, no? Mercedes was a class of their own here. Hopefully things will look different again at the next race.

I think this is a result on which Renault can build. Haas was flying here last year as well. Dan just needs to get into his Mojo and then I do think he´ll start performing better than Hulk on the long run. But I also feel Hulk always puts in a good performance, so there´s definitely a high bar for Daniel. Let´s hope they start pushing each other in the right direction ;). Happy I switched my F1 Fantasy turbo to Hulk yesterday though!

#128 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,613 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:54

Only on Bottas though, no? Mercedes was a class of their own here. Hopefully things will look different again at the next race.

I think this is a result on which Renault can build. Haas was flying here last year as well. Dan just needs to get into his Mojo and then I do think he´ll start performing better than Hulk on the long run. But I also feel Hulk always puts in a good performance, so there´s definitely a high bar for Daniel. Let´s hope they start pushing each other in the right direction ;). Happy I switched my F1 Fantasy turbo to Hulk yesterday though!

Yeah I guess your right, just Bottas - though still over a minute down on Hamilton and Verstappen...

#129 stillwater

stillwater

• 629 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:02

Yeah I guess your right, just Bottas - though still over a minute down on Hamilton and Verstappen...

To be fair after DR rejoined he was ~2s behind RK who was 46s behind the next Williams.

On a track where the race times were ~ 1:30...

Starting 48s down from lap 2 DR did damn well not to get lapped by the all of the top 4

btw... why did DR stop ?

I noticed his times dropped off allot (by up to 4s a lap from where he had been)

But I didnt see any report on why

P.s. thats 48s to the fastest Williams, he was 1:03 behind VB by lap 3

Edited by stillwater, 17 March 2019 - 11:04.

#130 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:08

Yep, and a totally fair remark about the issue.  Nothing about Dan not doing a good enough job on his pit walk etc.

I did say show me 1 fan who isn't a Max fan say its fully Ricciardo's fault, not sure Golden Boy's example does that, are you?

Please show me where I said he didn't do a good enough job on his pit walk etc
Golden Boy is stating that Dan had enough room, exactly what I did

If he had enough room it's his own fault, this shouldn't have to be to difficult

#131 Arundo

Arundo

• 1,284 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:27

Nice one, he was bout 10 metres from the edge of the track. :lol:

Hell no it was 8.5 meters, Timo was only 6.2 meter from the edge of the track so i guess your right.  :rolleyes:

#132 Reddington

Reddington

• 586 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:43

Unlucky for Dan. I was looking forward to see how he and Hulk would go.
I don’t think the Renault is as bad as it seems this weekend. Both cars had blistering starts and I think there’s more to come on the more ‘normal’ tracks.

#133 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:42

Please show me where I said he didn't do a good enough job on his pit walk etc
Golden Boy is stating that Dan had enough room, exactly what I did

If he had enough room it's his own fault, this shouldn't have to be to difficult

Okay

#134 Timantti

Timantti

• 550 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:46

I think Dan threw his career with this move. He will have a hard time with the Hulk and his star will fade. HOWEVER, last season proved that Verstappen was a bit too much for him so I reckon the same thing would have happened regardless. At some point people will start to wonder what on Earth happened in 2014.

#135 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 13:19

I think Dan threw his career with this move. He will have a hard time with the Hulk and his star will fade. HOWEVER, last season proved that Verstappen was a bit too much for him so I reckon the same thing would have happened regardless. At some point people will start to wonder what on Earth happened in 2014.

Okay I'm a Dan fan, of course i am, and he's a very good driver, certainly a bit better than last year showed.

BUT, 2014, I have always, even as a Dan fan, conceded that Seb just didn't have his head in the game.  4 straight championships, then in winter testing your car wont even run, and when it does its nowhere, you know you aren't going to win the championship, and probably not even a race.  You're tired from 4 straight championship wins, and you're just missing that last 2 tenths, you're distracted about your future, you're trying to leverage a way to get into a better team, and a young, hungry guy comes in thinking that the car you think is a POS is amazing.

To me, its no wonder it panned out that way.

In regards to throwing his career away, one more year losing to Max and it was gone anyway.

I hate to admit this, but Daniel isn't going to beat Verstappen in a straight fight, its not just his outright speed, as I don't think he's more than half a tenth faster than Dan, its just that he now, in Quali, hits that target every single race.  Dan used to, and now, under more pressure, can't seem to do it any more, over thinks and over drives those laps.  Max has a massive advantage on the starts, on generating tyre temp, thus much stronger first laps, is better at following other cars closely, and never gives up.  Dan is probably a more polished overtaker when in position to attack, but Max makes more moves, even if some are scruffy, he can make stuff happen that Daniel can't.  In the end, Max even matched Daniels tyre preservation

So simply put, no point looking at what if he stayed at Red Bull, he wont beat Max to a championship anyway.

I dont think Dan ran from the fight, as he wont see it the way I do or he wouldn't race, but I think he ran from what he felt was Max's team, so he's rolling the dice on building a new one.

I dont think he'll ever win a race with Renault.  I think the best he can hope is to be in front of Hulk most of the time, get some good results, hope he gets a car next year that allows him to get some mojo, steal some podiums, and make one of the top two teams go 'Wow look at Dan boy, he still has it' and get into one of the top 2.

But, the reality is that he and Hulk will run each other close for 2 seasons, and the top guys will go 'wow Dan's not quite as elite as we thought and at the same time Hulk is probably a bit better than we thought' and they'll be too old for the top teams to consider anyway and they have to hope 2021 opens the opportunity of more winners if he hopes to add any more career wins.

#136 A3

A3

• 29,197 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 14:46

Good post. I don't think Dan "ran away" from a fight with Max either. But I think knowing that you've upped your game in the last 2 years and it didn't have the desired result, combined with poor reliability and crap like Baku, made him decide to leave. I still think he was extremely disappointed neither Mercedes or Ferrari wanted to sign him and because he didn't want to stay at RBR he chose Renault. I don't think he'll ever be truly happy there, but now Renault have 2 very good drivers who are simply stuck there.

#137 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 15:02

Good post. I don't think Dan "ran away" from a fight with Max either. But I think knowing that you've upped your game in the last 2 years and it didn't have the desired result, combined with poor reliability and crap like Baku, made him decide to leave. I still think he was extremely disappointed neither Mercedes or Ferrari wanted to sign him and because he didn't want to stay at RBR he chose Renault. I don't think he'll ever be truly happy there, but now Renault have 2 very good drivers who are simply stuck there.

Agree with his motivations to leave but I think he'll be very happy at Renault for at least half a season, whilst Cyril keeps promising that big upgrade is just around the corner, any race now, just hang in there, it will halve the gap to the front.  I think whilst thats happening he'll be perfectly happy as long as his car stays reliable and they are fighting at the front of the midfield and the gap is closer to the front than last year.  It wont start to unravel until Cyril's promises of 6 tenths B spec chassis yield 2 tenths, and 4 tenths spec B engines yield 1 tenth and Dan realises it was all usual Cyril BS, then it will hit home I think, especially as Max challenges for the championship and Daniel thinks 'that could have been me'  

#138 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,280 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 15:10

A little harsh but I feel Dan's career took a turn for the worse in dealing with Verstappen. All that's come out of is (whether right or wrong) is that Red Bull chose Max and not him and that's damning for a career. Also Merc and Ferrari didn't NEED Dan which is also damning.  Essentially being dismissed by the top 3 for quite frankly not being good enough some times although at times it was the car, and other times just not getting the better of Max.

Renault is literally his only other option.

#139 Galoredk

Galoredk

• 306 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:23

I’m a HAAS Kmag fan, but you guys are at the same level even though quali was worse. It was race 1. Dan was unlucky, Nico got a phenomenal start and Gro got real unlucky. I’m sure both Dan and Nico will be on par with the best of the rest, but not challenging top 3 this year. If Nico beats Dan, then Dan made a bad move, but let’s see what happens. So many races left. Dan could still wtfpwn Nico and everyone will be cheering. Give the guy a break and be happy Nico is apparently as good as everyone has said over the years.

Good luck going ahead. I hope HAAS can give you a good fight and that we get great racing instead of the predictable **** in top 3.

Edited by Galoredk, 17 March 2019 - 16:26.

Advertisement

#140 Neno

Neno

• 1,772 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:43

I’m a HAAS Kmag fan, but you guys are at the same level even though quali was worse. It was race 1. Dan was unlucky, Nico got a phenomenal start and Gro got real unlucky. I’m sure both Dan and Nico will be on par with the best of the rest, but not challenging top 3 this year. If Nico beats Dan, then Dan made a bad move, but let’s see what happens. So many races left. Dan could still wtfpwn Nico and everyone will be cheering. Give the guy a break and be happy Nico is apparently as good as everyone has said over the years.

Good luck going ahead. I hope HAAS can give you a good fight and that we get great racing instead of the predictable **** in top 3.

This posts represents exactly how bad of the job did Renault do over the winter.    :(

Edited by Neno, 17 March 2019 - 17:45.

#141 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 20:48

This posts represents exactly how bad of the job did Renault do over the winter.    :(

Both teams should be a little disappointed with the gap to the front, but it is only 1 race I guess.

Both these teams should be in Q3 in Bahrain and desperately need to be under 0.8 off pole or Renaults claim of halving the gap will look a bit silly.

Mind you they might be 0.8 off Ferrari, who they thought was their reference, with Megatroll Racing a further half a sec up the road.....

#142 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,527 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 20:58

Both teams should be a little disappointed with the gap to the front, but it is only 1 race I guess.

Both these teams should be in Q3 in Bahrain and desperately need to be under 0.8 off pole or Renaults claim of halving the gap will look a bit silly.

Mind you they might be 0.8 off Ferrari, who they thought was their reference, with Megatroll Racing a further half a sec up the road.....

It is closer though, no? I dont know by how much, but it´s not a bad sign so far. Sure, could be better, but let´s see how the next races pan out.

#143 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 23:08

It is closer though, no? I dont know by how much, but it´s not a bad sign so far. Sure, could be better, but let´s see how the next races pan out.

Yes, it is closer, but the slightly worrying thing is the context of 2019 for Renault.  The factory development, the lack of developing 2018 to focus on 2019, the talk of biggest engine jump ever, it just should have been a bit more.  The fact that half of the field improved more than Renault did thus far.... thats the worry.

But you're right, its one race, one race that always tends to spread the field anyway, there was enough positive signs from race 1 to allow us to wait and see.... but I just wish the game, for the entire field, not just Renaut, really had posed up a bit more, and Mercedes aside, it does look better....

#144 FLB

FLB

• 10,152 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 23:14

Abiteboul: 'It's not that he underestimated [the challenges of not racing for a top team], but you don't race the same way in a midfield team compared to a top team. That's what I think. Daniel will need to toughen his skin, to have a certain form of patience at the start'

Source:

https://www.autohebd...oul-201665.html (en francais)

Edited by FLB, 17 March 2019 - 23:25.

#145 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,280 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 23:18

Well you guys don't want to fight. KMag just wants to run us off the road   :mad:

#146 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,720 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 23:49

I don't really think its time to jump to any negative conclusions with the team or Dan's future at the moment. We didn't see the best of the team or drivers over this weekend especially not Dan. Like I said before I believe Hulk didn't get to show the cars true pace as he was stuck behind Magnussen for quite a few laps. Once we get to some tracks that open up and allow alot more passing I believe we will see the true pace of the car which will put us in clear 4th. The question is how much will the gap to 3rd be and at what rate if at all can we reduce that gap.

Dan was really quick despite significant damage and on hards (lapping faster than all but the top 5) for a while which gives me confidence that there is pace in the car in clean air. Dan will also get better as the races go on and he adjusts to the new car. Nico is no slouch but I believe Dan will have his measure by the end of the year and Renault will eat away at that gap to the top 3 which was the main aim this season. I certainly didn't expect Renault to be challenging Red Bull at this stage that for sure.

Even Prost talking to Sky basically said we didn't really see the true performance of the car in qualli and that so called .3 we have reduced over winter to the top 3 was actually significantly more.

Once again at this point I don't see the need to move into panic mode. Its only one race (and at a track that can mask true performance) and we didn't see the best of the drivers and car. Hopefully the development rate is high over the first part of the year and continues on as Chester stated and that those upgrades actually work well and lets see where we end up.

This is all imho of course but only time will tell.

Edited by gowebber, 18 March 2019 - 04:04.

#147 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,006 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 23:54

So Hulk off to a decent start!  :up:

Looks like Dan took himself with him from Red Bull. I hope he can shake it off quickly! 

The fun part about rooting for both drivers is if at least one of them does well, I'm happy!  :cool:

#148 Galoredk

Galoredk

• 306 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 00:22

Well you guys don't want to fight. KMag just wants to run us off the road :mad:

2017. Shall we put that to rest?

#149 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,532 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:22

After one race? In 2018 Renault's deficit to pole in Australia was 2.368s. They reached Q3 a total of 16 times and in those sessions their pole deficit only exceeded that gap once (Singapore - 2.573s). In addition to that it only exceeded two seconds one more time, in France (+2.097). If we consider these GPs to be outliers, given that they stand out among all sessions, then their qualifying deficit was an average of 1.501s across the season. Who'd have thought that after just the first qualifying session of 2018?

Since 2006, in years in which the Australian GP has opened the F1 season (ex. 2010), the pole deficit to the nearest team has been 0.400s or more on nine out of 13 occasions. Seven times it has exceeded half a second, and the overall average is 0.587s. Since the turbo era began, the gap has been beneath three tenths on only one occasion (2017), and only twice in the last thirteen GPs (2008 and 2017) in which Australia hosted the season opener.

I think you should wait out the next few races instead of chomping at the bit to confirm Renault have failed. It's a 21 race season that stretches over nine months, and isn't called the "Australian Grand Prix Championship". 

#150 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 171 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:57

OMG, take a whole bottle of chill pills, some of you. We’re one race in, and at a track that can be a bit anomalous.
I’m sure we have better things to come.