* * * * * 1 votes

2019 Renault F1: Ricciardo, Hulk and other Enstone goings-on

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#3901 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,329 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 19:33

Don't like the sound of that at all. Hoping he is definitely downplaying because not what you want to hear at all as a fan of the team that they are already writing off next year, this season has been tough already and can't imagine it being worse. To be honest a lot of teams as well will be preparing for 2021 as well.

He is being quite negative about Hulk as well which is a bit surprising.

I find it very realistic though, he can pretend that they will solve all the chassis issues but I highly doubt it. 2021 is their chance.

Advertisement

#3902 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,515 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 20:47

Tomorrow, always tomorrow ...

#3903 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,868 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 20:52

It is unfortunate but makes sense considering the development lead time in F1.

#3904 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,669 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 21:28

I find it very realistic though, he can pretend that they will solve all the chassis issues but I highly doubt it. 2021 is their chance.

So all expectations should be for the RS21 to be a race winner?  :clap:   :)

#3905 Lemojn

Lemojn

• 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 21:50

Prost denied saying the things in that article.

https://www.reddit.c..._shared_on_the/

#3906 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 379 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 21:57

I hope the above is true and he didn't say it, but even more I hope they aren't even thinking it.

It puts Dan in a tough position if they suffer another poor year in 2020 with no proof they can get it together but are trying to make promises to Dan for 2021 to resign based on nothing more than hope & glory.....

#3907 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,329 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 22:43

I hope the above is true and he didn't say it, but even more I hope they aren't even thinking it.

It puts Dan in a tough position if they suffer another poor year in 2020 with no proof they can get it together but are trying to make promises to Dan for 2021 to resign based on nothing more than hope & glory.....

What is more worrying if the car is so poor that Dan can't even impress the top teams next year and make a move to a better team. This didn't sound very promising for next year.

#3908 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,669 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 23:37

What is more worrying if the car is so poor that Dan can't even impress the top teams next year and make a move to a better team. This didn't sound very promising for next year.

But it is pointless to go overboard on improving the 2019 car for one season, when the time can be effort can be spent designing the 2021 car which will be the design base for 2022, 2023 and so on.

Remember how bad BMW were in 2009?  BMW developed the 2008 car excessively, then arrived with a wildly undeveloped 2009 car (much the opposite of the Honda/Brawn team which had, rightly, created a highly developed 2009 car)... To make matters worse the BMW was fitted with a KERS system, which at the time made those using it even less competitive.

bmw-sauber-reveal-new-f109-medium_4.jpg

The 2009 BMW (left) didn't even have bargeboards  :eek:  -- not sure who thought that was a good idea.  It also seemed BMW had not cottoned onto the idea of rake, and the BMW F1.09 had no rake at all, whatsoever.  :confused:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 11 September 2019 - 00:00.

#3909 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,279 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 23:46

But it is pointless to go overboard on improving the 2019 car for one season, when the time can be effort can be spent designing the 2021 car which will be the design base for 2022, 2023 and so on.

Remember how bad BMW were in 2009?  BMW developed the 2008 car excessively, then arrived with a wildly undeveloped 2009 car (much the opposite of the Honda/Brawn team which had, rightly, created a highly developed 2009 car)... To make matters worse the BMW was fitted with a KERS system, which at the time made those using it even less competitive.

Too much focus on 2019 vs 2020 doesn't seem like the issue here. The real issue is that Renault have shockingly bad correlation from windtunnel to track. Which has led them to build a car that has it's aero balance swapping ends the moment the wheels are steered in the mid and high speed corners for the last 4 consecutive years. This has led to lack of driver confidence as well as poor tire management.

If they cannot prove they understand how to fix the current RS19 issues, then they have no hope in building a good 2021 car because they are using the same windtunnel, same staff who never understood the aero instability in the last 5 years.  They should try and fix the RS19-RS20 to prove they have grasp of aerodynamics at all....If they cannot push out the aero instability in the RS20, then they don't have much business in doing aerodynamics at all...let alone a 2021 car 2 years early.

Edited by ARTGP, 10 September 2019 - 23:48.

#3910 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,669 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 23:56

They should try and fix the RS19-RS20 to prove they have grasp of aerodynamics at all...

I'm sure they do.  Could it be that they know downforce is inconsistent when the wheels are turned, but prefer to live with it as it is impossible^ to fix it?

Heck, Renault even choose to chase better peak theoretical downforce by running even more rake in 2019, knowing that with the 2019 front wing rules this choice would make downforce inconsistency in long corners even worse (i.e., rear end instability).

^ I.e., it's baked in to the current design, and starting from scratch would render Renault even further behind and uncompetitive.

With the semi-spec floor design and (presumably) zero rake of the 2021 regulations, it should be less of an issue.  Besides, it is a chance to start afresh.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 10 September 2019 - 23:57.

#3911 stillwater

stillwater

• 629 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 00:38

I'm sure they do.  Could it be that they know downforce is inconsistent when the wheels are turned, but prefer to live with it as it is impossible^ to fix it?

Heck, Renault even choose to chase better peak theoretical downforce by running even more rake in 2019, knowing that with the 2019 front wing rules this choice would make downforce inconsistency in long corners even worse (i.e., rear end instability).

^ I.e., it's baked in to the current design, and starting from scratch would render Renault even further behind and uncompetitive.

With the semi-spec floor design and (presumably) zero rake of the 2021 regulations, it should be less of an issue.  Besides, it is a chance to start afresh.

Impossible for the RENAULT design team

Clearly not impossible for competent F1 design teams

Your point is valid though... its beyond Renaults capability to design a decent car

The fact that they have handling issues present 2 generations ago and have still not fixed them shows they they dont KNOW how to fix them

Thing is... taking more time to work on 2021... with the same design team is not going to make any difference

Renault need some high level personnel changes to have any chance in 2021

With all that said, I am happier to see DR at Renault even with all this B grade design and strategy.. than at RBR 

At least they got on top of their engine performance :clap:

Edited by stillwater, 11 September 2019 - 00:49.

#3912 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 535 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:22

Aslong as he beats his team mate then its all good. Also bit of a negative and a positive, but Ricciardo definitely ups his game when there is a chance of a good result. It's not a fluke that he got all those unlikely wins at Red Bull and then this year he has turned it on when the Renault actually looked decent. I know people keep harping on about the VSC advantage he got, but Ricciardo passed Hulk on track then pulled away from him on a very, very heavy DRS track that gives you up to 1/2 a second per lap. Then in the second stint he just cruised to the end. I think people have underestimated how much of a crazy performance this was.

#3913 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,868 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:08

Yeah he pulled away from hulk with ease this race even with the strong DRS slipstream.

#3914 BertoC

BertoC

• 564 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:19

The 2009 BMW (left) didn't even have bargeboards  :eek:  -- not sure who thought that was a good idea.  It also seemed BMW had not cottoned onto the idea of rake, and the BMW F1.09 had no rake at all, whatsoever.  :confused:

You're right, but that's not really a good example because BMW stopped developing their 2008 car soon after their win in Canada to focus on their 2009 car, which they were heavily ctiticized for, cause in the end Robert was somewhat close to winning the WDC. That makes the 2009 underdeveloped car even more gobsmacking.

Edited by BertoC, 11 September 2019 - 09:21.

#3915 rocque

rocque

• 65 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 16:20

Hulkenberg manages well at Monza, but he never had a standout pace in the race. I remember his comments - almost every year he wasn't happy with the balance of the car after the race.
Tyre management king Perez was constantly better here during their years at FI and it seems Dan also has got something more.

Nico lost control on the braking to della Roggia chicane, because there were some dirt on the track after LEC-HAM battle.  

Glad it was 4th and 5th instead of 4th and 6th. 

Edited by rocque, 13 September 2019 - 19:09.

#3916 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,720 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 22:09

So court documents are claiming Ricciardo's Renault deal is US 55 million. Works out to about $80million AUD. Thats some huge coin right there.

Referring to the Renault contract, the Particulars of Claim states that: "The value of the Renault Contract includes at least:

(i) a fixed fee of US$ 55 million;

https://www.pitpass....os-Renault-deal

Edited by gowebber, 15 September 2019 - 22:09.

#3917 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 171 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 22:32

The way I read it (as per defendant), that is 19/20 combined. Yes?
Still not to be sneezed at!

#3918 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,751 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 22:35

The way I read it (as per defendant), that is 19/20 combined. Yes?
Still not to be sneezed at!

Yup, from the same article:

According to the defence documents:
"(1) Paragraph 28(i) is admitted. The sum referred to therein is the total of the fixed fees for 2019 and 2020.

#3919 r4mses

r4mses

• 1,305 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 23:20

You're right, but that's not really a good example because BMW stopped developing their 2008 car soon after their win in Canada to focus on their 2009 car, which they were heavily ctiticized for, cause in the end Robert was somewhat close to winning the WDC. That makes the 2009 underdeveloped car even more gobsmacking.

!!! this is important, because what V8 Fireworks said is nonsense. 

Advertisement

#3920 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 2,211 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:39

F1.09 wasntt that bad from the start. Remember, Kubica was challenging for victory in Melbourne, Heidfeild claimed podium in Malaysia (altough in odd circumstances). But they sent themselves into KERS gamble  and failed to develop in other areas (like DD).

#3921 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,868 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:45

Holy crap. I'm obviously a big Ricciardo fan but 80 mil AUD over 2 years?! Dan got the better end of that deal lol. Well done!

I still don't think that can be quite right though. If it is, I'm a little flabbergasted.

Edited by goldenboy, 16 September 2019 - 05:47.

#3922 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,523 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:33

Holy crap. I'm obviously a big Ricciardo fan but 80 mil AUD over 2 years?! Dan got the better end of that deal lol. Well done!

I still don't think that can be quite right though. If it is, I'm a little flabbergasted.

Dont know what the exchange rate is, but isnt that close to €30 mil per year? I thought that was always the sum that was communicated... 

#3923 A3

A3

• 29,194 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:18

Dont know what the exchange rate is, but isnt that close to €30 mil per year? I thought that was always the sum that was communicated...

Yup, it was.

Reading Prost's comments, Hulkenberg is better off elsewhere. With a team like that, it's only a matter of time before negativity raises it's head from within.

Edited by A3, 16 September 2019 - 07:21.

#3924 A3

A3

• 29,194 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:11

Here he goes again:

"It's a weird situation, but it's not for nothing that McLaren is at the top of the midfield. They have a good chassis and a good engine. In terms of chassis, they certainly did well in terms of chassis, but we have the better package," Abiteboul told motorsport-total.com.
"It's just a fact that we have a better package. Sure it differs per track whose car is slightly better, but we have to make the step to get the most out of every weekend. Earlier this season it didn't work out so well, but things went better in Spa and Monza."
"We are working hard to improve the car and cannot wait until it finally delivers the desired result," Abiteboul concludes

https://www.gpblog.c...n-mclaren-.html

How exactly is that a fact Cyril?

#3925 Reddington

Reddington

• 586 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:19

Just shy of 25 million Euros a year.

Edited by Reddington, 16 September 2019 - 08:19.

#3926 Radion

Radion

• 2,329 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:31

The focus on 2021 is the right move. No one in the midfield should focus on closing in on Mercedes/Ferrari in just one year, let alone with less budget available to them.

#3927 Klauzer

Klauzer

• 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:32

That's a lot of money, but at least it'll make his f1 career "successful" (no matter what happens from now on) in hindsight because he's set up for life. Continue losing against Verstappen at Red Bull whilst collecting the occasional podium or race win? Or get super-rich at Renault in a dog of a car? In ten years time when everyone has forgotten the runners-up of this era, I know which one will look like a better choice. 

#3928 RA2

RA2

• 1,182 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:01

Why aren't they hiring Paddy Lowe? He should be able to work a lot better with better resources. 

Pat Fry is also free

Maybe together they could fix the problems of the car or work on a monster 21

Edited by RA2, 16 September 2019 - 09:03.

#3929 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,403 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:09

It is the other way around. In 2008, BMW could have had a shot at the title if they didn't stop development on that car early and focused on the 2009 version too soon. They lost out in the 2nd half of 2008 AND the 2009 car became a dud. The rest is history.

#3930 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:17

So court documents are claiming Ricciardo's Renault deal is US 55 million. Works out to about $80million AUD. Thats some huge coin right there.

Referring to the Renault contract, the Particulars of Claim states that: "The value of the Renault Contract includes at least:

(i) a fixed fee of US$ 55 million;

https://www.pitpass....os-Renault-deal

It doesn't say if the $55m is per year or over the length of the contract.  PP are not known for their accuracy and it's a case involving an agent, who always exaggerate the money involved.

#3931 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 535 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:18

Why aren't they hiring Paddy Lowe? He should be able to work a lot better with better resources. 

Pat Fry is also free

Maybe together they could fix the problems of the car or work on a monster 21

I'm pretty sure Paddy Lowe has been found out after his complete failure at Williams.

#3932 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,751 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:22

It doesn't say if the $55m is per year or over the length of the contract.

It does

Yup, from the same article:

According to the defence documents:
"(1) Paragraph 28(i) is admitted. The sum referred to therein is the total of the fixed fees for 2019 and 2020.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 16 September 2019 - 10:23.

#3933 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,565 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:15

The most I heard is € 20-25 m. But 30 m gets extremely close to what Hamilton supposedly earns at Mercedes before bonusses. That's quite the deal ngl.

#3934 A3

A3

• 29,194 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 13:11

Reading back, the article says $55 m for 2 years.

$55 m = € 50 m. = AUSD 80 m.

$27.5 m = € 25 m. = AUSD 40 m per year.

#3935 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,829 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 14:09

F1.09 wasntt that bad from the start. Remember, Kubica was challenging for victory in Melbourne, Heidfeild claimed podium in Malaysia (altough in odd circumstances). But they sent themselves into KERS gamble and failed to develop in other areas (like DD).

BMW spent 2009 trying to sell the team without spending any money on it. They didn’t even pay for the 2010 entry fees to the FIA. That’s why they failed to develop through the season.

#3936 dn12005

dn12005

• 90 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 22:59

Daniel Ricciardo on his move to Renault and a peak into his future:

"Do I want to stay? Yes, because ideally we do get this to the next level," Ricciardo tells BBC Sport in an exclusive interview.

"It was my massive intention to come here. My intention wasn't to have a two-year layover somewhere else. I know people might still think that, but I really want this to work. I feel like the hours I have put in this year have shown I have the drive to want to do so."

https://www.bbc.com/...rmula1/49664183

#3937 Lemojn

Lemojn

• 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:56

Good interview.  

Ricciardo says: "It seems when I speak to the team, the base of the car, the fundamentals, the base direction, has limited us. So we developed it a little bit but it's reached, I don't want to say its peak, but it can't really be developed that much more with this philosophy.

"So, as far as now looking at next year, it seems like they want to change the whole aerodynamic philosophy of the car. Instead of focusing on this part of the car, say the middle part, and trying to generate as much downforce in the middle, it's like, no, we need to focus on the front.

"It seems like it might be more difficult at first, but in the bigger picture we'd be getting more downforce 'points', as we call it, from that."

#3938 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,488 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:27

That sounds about right tbh. He had good currency, still does and Renault were desperate to land him without being able to offer him a race winning car. They had no choice, Dan was in a great negotiating position.

For a top driver without 'World Champion' next to his name, he's done very well financially. Still I believe, in the back of his head, he's keeping a very close eye on Ferrari post 2020.

#3939 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,613 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:44

He'll be keeping a close eye on more than just Ferrari post 2020 - Merc, RBR, even Mclaren should they have another step in performance like this year.

Advertisement

#3940 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,868 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:49

That sounds about right tbh. He had good currency, still does and Renault were desperate to land him without being able to offer him a race winning car. They had no choice, Dan was in a great negotiating position.

For a top driver without 'World Champion' next to his name, he's done very well financially. Still I believe, in the back of his head, he's keeping a very close eye on Ferrari post 2020.

Yeah, I'm actually a big proponent of athletes being paid big bucks. I feel they deserve it when you look at the risk and more so the return they generate.

However, in the current landscape, that's a very impressive amount. I do think Renault will get their moneys worth returned many times over during those 2 years though.

#3941 Paco

Paco

• 3,434 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 14:04

Of course Hulk is disillusioned... team never comes close to meeting its goal or hype.. and he knows what’s coming.. more of the same and doesn’t want to get dragged into a Bottas yearly contract mess... good on him and he prob had some doors slightly opened and now seeing if they can land anothe ride and get reenergized. Bet Dan is going through the same thing already and keeping thing open if Renaukt fall flat again in 1/3rd of the season in 2020. I think it’s more about Renault then himself and that of engineering there..

#3942 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,720 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 22:07

Nice to see a positive from Dan admitting he is working even harder this year than previous years to get the best from himself and the team. Just need the team to obviously do the same.

"Yes, we're at times further back than we expected and hoped, but I knew there would be work to be done and a lot of hours to put in. I feel like I was prepared for that.

Ricciardo reveals what needs to happen at Renault next year

"Even though I feel like I have worked more hours and probably worked harder this year than in previous years, it has still been quite enjoyable because the environment is different - new people, new relationships.

"If anything, it has reiterated what I want in the sport."

https://www.gpfans.c...lt-competitive/

Edited by gowebber, 17 September 2019 - 22:07.

#3943 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,279 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 23:36

Mattia Binotto said recently that Verstappen-Leclerc is not going to happen at Ferrari because they don't want to deal with two young #1 drivers. He basically pointed to Schumacher-Barichello and Hamilton-Bottas as what they are after. He explicitly said "a number 1 driver, and then somebady who can win some races".  An argument could be made that Ricciardo-Leclerc won't happen either based on those comments. Dan isn't someone who just wants to "win some races". He already did that at Red Bull and would have stayed if that's what he wanted.

“I think we should have a great first driver and another driver who can win races and score points. Something like Hamilton and Bottas."  - Binotto

I now do think Dan is planning to stick with Renault in 2021 as he's a clear #1 driver there and Renault atleast improved the engine this season.

Edited by ARTGP, 17 September 2019 - 23:40.

#3944 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,720 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:32

Mattia Binotto said recently that Verstappen-Leclerc is not going to happen at Ferrari because they don't want to deal with two young #1 drivers. He basically pointed to Schumacher-Barichello and Hamilton-Bottas as what they are after. He explicitly said "a number 1 driver, and then somebady who can win some races".  An argument could be made that Ricciardo-Leclerc won't happen either based on those comments. Dan isn't someone who just wants to "win some races". He already did that at Red Bull and would have stayed if that's what he wanted.

I now do think Dan is planning to stick with Renault in 2021 as he's a clear #1 driver there and Renault atleast improved the engine this season.

Yeah it just sounds like Dan is alot happier with the environment at Renault despite the many disappointing results so far this season. He seems to already get along very well with everyone there. Having a cheerful, outgoing, upbeat employee who is great at his job is something any workplace would love and I'm sure Renault feel the same.

Having a work environment that you are happy in goes a long way towards motivating yourself to want to perform at your absolute best and give back to your workplace/team. Obviously poor results ongoing for a long time can change that but its still only really early in and 2021 is a big mystery in regards to the pecking order of F1 teams so it does seem at this point he will stay on at Renault into 2021 and beyond unless an offer too good to refuse materializes at Ferrari or Mercedes.

Edited by gowebber, Yesterday, 00:36.

#3945 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,302 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:27

Cyril is making noises about wanting to promote an academy driver soon, so Ricciardo might not have a choice about staying

#3946 baddog

baddog

• 27,122 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:50

Cyril is making noises about wanting to promote an academy driver soon, so Ricciardo might not have a choice about staying

The team are not looking to get rid of the best thing they have going for them. No ****ing way.

#3947 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,613 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:12

No but I bet they don't want to keep paying him what they currently are, especially if they can't build a proper car for him...

#3948 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,488 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:37

We've seen with Alonso at McLaren and Villeneuve at BAR that there is only so long a star driver can carry a pig, before it starts wearing down the driver and frustrations in the team grow. Renault won't want to pay him that money for years simply hoping the car might come good. Sure there are marketing advantages but that's not enough long term.

I'm sure Daniel doesn't want to throw away the rest of his career whilst Renault don't want to simply pour money down a hole on a driver who can only do so much. 2021 is the critical point. If Renault still are nowhere then expect things to change.

I just hope DR, by that point, hasn't locked himself out of switching to a top tier drive. He's not young anymore and the new generation are coming on strong, first was Verstappen and Leclerc, next will be guys like Albon, Norris and Russell. Daniel has really rolled the dice, there is no question.

That exact situation (for varying reasons) happened to both Alonso and Villeneuve. Locked themselves out, careers cooked. But at least they'd both won World Championships already.

I'd like to see DR next to Charles, equal #1s. Best man wins. But I dont think Ferrari will play ball looking at Binottos line of thinking.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, Yesterday, 04:37.

#3949 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,302 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:42

The team are not looking to get rid of the best thing they have going for them. No ****ing way.

If Renault were committed to spending the full cap and more on other areas that were unrestricted, they might keep him. But they're not even committed to the $175m.

Alot will depend on how Ocon goes I imagine.

#3950 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,720 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:06

Thats clearly only a contingency plan for if Ricciardo decides to leave. There is no way they will push him out, besides he just brought home their best result since rejoining the F1 grid. Cyril already loves him.  :D

Edited by gowebber, Yesterday, 06:17.