* * * * * 1 votes

2019 Renault F1: Ricciardo, Hulk and other Enstone goings-on

• Please log in to reply
4672 replies to this topic

#4451 Laster

Laster

• 2,028 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 22:54

I doubt Hulk would have finished ahead of Dan any chance of that the damage was already done while behind Magnussen and Raikkonen. What frustrates me was watching the live timing seeing Hulk 13 seconds behind Dan when Dan pitted, and being 12 seconds behind Dan by the time Renault brought him in. They spent so long dithering they effectively cost Hulk a pitstop. I don’t have as much info as them but it was painfully obvious while watching those laps, and losing 2-3 seconds a lap, they needed to pit and change whatever strategy they had because the degredation was higher than they anticipated.

Advertisement

#4452 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,110 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 23:25

Great race, RIC finishing ahead of both McLarens even on a slower 1-stopper. I think he was a bit lucky to repass Lando (taking a nap?) in the first stint, though he was being held up.

I think HUL was unlucky - he started on hards having qualified P11, but while that was the perfect strategy in Mexico it didn't work in Austin. Who would have known? It's rare that starting on softs is genuinely faster.

Ignoring the disqualification in Japan for a moment that's 3x double points finishes in a row now. It's what they've been threatening all year, and are finally delivering.

#4453 stillwater

stillwater

• 648 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:40

Good job by both drivers.

Nice to get a solid result and to get one over McLaren.

For those upset by Renault strategy....buwhahahahahahaha

Thats like getting upset at a child for not being tall enough to reach the top shelf

They NEVER adapt because they dont understand what they are doing.

#4454 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:17

Great race, RIC finishing ahead of both McLarens even on a slower 1-stopper. I think he was a bit lucky to repass Lando (taking a nap?) in the first stint, though he was being held up.

I think HUL was unlucky - he started on hards having qualified P11, but while that was the perfect strategy in Mexico it didn't work in Austin. Who would have known? It's rare that starting on softs is genuinely faster.

Ignoring the disqualification in Japan for a moment that's 3x double points finishes in a row now. It's what they've been threatening all year, and are finally delivering.

Nice to actually finish on the lead lap too.

Edited by gowebber, 04 November 2019 - 05:17.

#4455 Lights

Lights

• 16,747 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:07

Ricciardo had an amazing race. His first lap and move on Norris later on is why he can be worth top dollar. He didn't have a great year overall though but in these moments his quality shines through.

Hulkenberg's strategy wasn't as good but that's what can happen sometimes when you become the 2nd priority and that's because he's not on Ricciardo's level. Not that Nico had a bad race either, it's a shame he's going to leave the sport.

#4456 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 551 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:11

Good job by both drivers.

Nice to get a solid result and to get one over McLaren.

For those upset by Renault strategy....buwhahahahahahaha

Thats like getting upset at a child for not being tall enough to reach the top shelf

They NEVER adapt because they dont understand what they are doing.

I would say their strategy today with Ricciardo was finally 100%. McLaren clearly tried to bait them with the Norris pit late in the race and Renault were smart enough to not to take it. Seems like they adapted just fine. Hulkenberg ran long which was partially his decision.

#4457 stillwater

stillwater

• 648 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:42

I would say their strategy today with Ricciardo was finally 100%. McLaren clearly tried to bait them with the Norris pit late in the race and Renault were smart enough to not to take it. Seems like they adapted just fine. Hulkenberg ran long which was partially his decision.

I dont think they adapted at all

They didnt take the "bait"...

I doubt they even noticed it

They just didnt change the strategy they came up with before the race started

It worked this time BECAUSE DR MADE it work

Other drivers, including NH and LH were in all kinds of trouble trying to run long in any of their stints

Out of all the races this year... a bad strategy will be right several times in the year

#4458 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,311 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:44

I dont think they adapted at all
They didnt take the "bait"...
I doubt they even noticed it
They just didnt change the strategy they came up with before the race started
It worked this time BECAUSE DR MADE it work
Other drivers, including NH and LH were in all kinds of trouble trying to run long in any of their stints

Out of all the races this year... a bad strategy will be right several times in the year

They pitted dan with just enough time to stay ahead of Norris. Pretty sure they noticed their main competitor stopping.

#4459 rocque

rocque

• 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 12:06

Yeah, Nico said it was his call, but in Russia, Japan and Mexico they pitted him too early, so I'm not surprised he wanted to stay longer.

The team sees the wider perspective than the driver, so it was their task to force him to pit. They didn't lack of firmness when it was about TO in Canada or forcing him to stay in Britain...

I doubt Hulk would have finished ahead of Dan any chance of that the damage was already done while behind Magnussen and Raikkonen. What frustrates me was watching the live timing seeing Hulk 13 seconds behind Dan when Dan pitted, and being 12 seconds behind Dan by the time Renault brought him in. They spent so long dithering they effectively cost Hulk a pitstop. I don’t have as much info as them but it was painfully obvious while watching those laps, and losing 2-3 seconds a lap, they needed to pit and change whatever strategy they had because the degredation was higher than they anticipated.

Dan was 6,5s behind Nico when he left the pit lane.

On the pit entry Nico was 12,1s behind Dan.

It was 24s between them on the finish line. I feel Nico didn't fully exploit soft and medium compound, because stints were too short - especially on medium. He lost a few seconds on the last stint because of Raikkonen and blue flags because of BOT and VER. He also could gain a few seconds compared to RIC with fresh tyres during that time when he was losing a few seconds per lap on hards.

Nico's overtake on Perez with a fake attack on the inside of T1 was awesome. 

Edited by rocque, 05 November 2019 - 11:47.

Advertisement

#4460 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 17:41

Good news, the Renault power unit spec 4 lasted 6 week-end since its introduction in Monza.

#4461 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 5,378 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:00

Good news, the Renault power unit spec 4 lasted 6 week-end since its introduction in Monza.

Good news indeed. The gremlins from the early races seem wel behind them now. Kudos to the power unit team for that.

#4462 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,408 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:42

Renault have made good strides in reliability since the start of the season.

#4463 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,582 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:34

Hopefully Renault's improvements extend deep into pre-season testing next season so I can justify going to the Aust GP again. I'd like to see more than Dan overtaking Kubica into T1 before retiring the car.

#4464 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,826 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:46

Why did Nico have to give the position back to Kimi in the race? He was forced off the track...

#4465 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,504 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 21:51

Why did Nico have to give the position back to Kimi in the race? He was forced off the track...

it's been already decided you are free to hang out to dry the person around the outside. ..

#4466 baddog

baddog

• 27,475 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 22:57

As I read it he should not have had to do so. Not only was he pushed off track, he did not overtake off track anyway, he came back on still behind and passed in the next corner

#4467 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,504 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 23:03

he gained an advantage by going outside of the track

#4468 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,826 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 23:14

he gained an advantage by going outside of the track

He was forced there. He was properly alongside Kimi. Kimi decided to push him off track. See video:

https://www.formula1..._off-track.html

You have to leave space. He was fully alongside of you. That was bs from Kimi....

This isn't even like Max and Charles in Austria. It's quite obvious Kimi was wrong.

Edited by ARTGP, 06 November 2019 - 23:16.

#4469 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,504 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 23:18

It's very similar to Austria. The car on the outside is left out. what is the difference?

#4470 A3

A3

• 29,553 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:25

He was forced there. He was properly alongside Kimi. Kimi decided to push him off track. See video:

https://www.formula1..._off-track.html

You have to leave space. He was fully alongside of you. That was bs from Kimi....

This isn't even like Max and Charles in Austria. It's quite obvious Kimi was wrong.

This is what you get with asphalt runoffs. Even Kimi will drive dirty.

#4471 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,226 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:11

Dear all,

I've moved some posts that are about the possibility of Renault leaving the sport to the thread about that. You can find the posts here:

https://forums.autos...-2#entry8944128

#4472 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:33

Dan critiques his favourite car movies. Some really interesting informative comments from Dan too referencing alot back to F1. Gotta love the original Fast and the Furious too. RIP Paul Walker.

https://youtu.be/Zf1QQO1HgYs

Edited by gowebber, 11 November 2019 - 09:06.

#4473 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,826 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 18:33

Renault could conceivably end up with Gasly and Ocon in 2021 or 2022 no? The french connection  - If Dan were to drive for Ferrari/Merc.

Edited by ARTGP, 14 November 2019 - 18:34.

#4474 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 2,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 19:11

Renault could conceivably end up with Gasly and Ocon in 2021 or 2022 no? The french connection  - If Dan were to drive for Ferrari/Merc.

Not really.

Prost will not allow that, it will put too much spotlinght within the team.

#4475 Amz964

Amz964

• 380 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:03

Not great session tbh. As per usual it starts off ok but then when they go for the 2nd runs they don't improve as much as the others. Car is horrible in S2 as expected but ok in S1 and S3. If we're not careful we could have 1 car out of Q1.

Edited by Amz964, 16 November 2019 - 16:03.

#4476 Shakengandulf

Shakengandulf

• 121 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 19:21

Not sure what to think, well tyre choice i guess might be handy if its dry..
Otherwise..... 🤷‍♂️

#4477 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,675 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 21:49

Just looking at qualifying results it is immensely close in the midfield here, RIC was less than half a tenth off getting into Q3 - very small margins.

#4478 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 00:08

Surprised to see Renault and McLaren behind Haas and Alfa, I mean wtf? Having said that its very close and who knows how the pendulum might swing on Sunday with race pace. Dan continues his qualli run beating Hulk again.

#4479 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,311 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 00:41

I didn't get to watch qually but saw a report suggesting the Renault's and Norris didn't get to set a representative second lap in Q2 because of Gio's spin. Is this true or just no pace?

Advertisement

#4480 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 551 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 00:47

I think just no pace, pretty sure they were ahead of the spin? Seems like Renault can't get the tyres switched on in qualifying lately.

#4481 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,311 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 00:50

As they are really only targeting 7th I suppose it's not actually that bad considering tyre choice and who is ahead/behind.

#4482 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:06

Leclerc drops 10 places too which helps us

#4483 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,675 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:35

It's not like they were miles off though - just really tight in that midfield group...

#4484 Dratini

Dratini

• 1,582 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:02

Eh I'm content with no Q3 appearances. Good for the tyre situation at least.

#4485 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:08

Dan pretty chirpy post qualli about Sunday.

https://www.formula1..._tomorrow'.html

#4486 rocque

rocque

• 117 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 13:00

Nico Hulkenberg started with a steep wing. A lot of pressure in the middle section should bring him forward. Daniel Ricciardo went low on downforce. The Australian scored the second-best top speed score of all behind Charles Leclerc, while Hülkenberg finished in only 17th place in the standings, albeit at just four and a half km / h.

"I bled on the straights even more than I expected," says Hülkenberg after his penultimate Formula 1 qualifying. "I've lost a lot there, only a tenth of a second on the clock, but that's a lot on this track, and I was able to get something out in the middle sector, but that was not enough."

The 32-year-old builds more on the race, then his high-downforce philosophy to pay off the tire wear: "It is not too bad, we are in the middle of the race and will fight., There is a realistic chance for points It gets harder from where we start, but we have to find a good solution and a way out. "

"I hope the [set-up] pays off in the race, the tendency of the past five or six races has been that the car is stronger in the race than in qualifying." Why? That will be related to tire management, maybe that's a car, maybe it's us drivers."

https://www.motorspo...eraden-19111625

Edited by rocque, 17 November 2019 - 13:03.

#4487 rocque

rocque

• 117 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 15:06

2019 Brazil - The F1 Show: Daniel Ricciardo & Nico Hulkenberg

https://streamable.com/zo6vn

#4488 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,110 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 19:04

Should've started on the softs!

#4489 Amz964

Amz964

• 380 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 19:06

Missed opportunity for us today can't help but feel. Danny Ric did a good recovery from the poor start and clash with Mag which was his fault. Not sure what Hulk did after the restarts he was no where really. Torro Rosso only 6 points behind now although Abu Dhabi should be good to us.

#4490 Darnswim

Darnswim

• 109 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 19:16

Not worried about Toro Rosso, so as a person that lives in France, I'm incredibly happy that Gasly got a podium. Abu Dhabi should suit the car much better than Interlagos though.

#4491 jannyg

jannyg

• 1,503 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 19:26

Hulk was nowhere today, Ricciardo handled him

#4492 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,311 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 19:33

What the hell, how did Hulk get beaten this time. I didn't follow his strategy though and didn't see what happened, just the results. He seemed invisible.

#4493 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,826 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 19:49

I'd prefer if Renault lost 5th place. Sometimes you need to get hard done by in order to enact change.

#4494 rocque

rocque

• 117 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 19:49

Dan is very good with maintaining good pace on these extremely long stints, but he binned maybe even a possible podium today.

Hulkenberg was under 3 seconds behind car number #11 before Checo's pit and ahead of Kvyat. Then they put on hards and after second stint he was nowhere compared to them. The right strategy was two stints on softs and one on medium. His pace on softs didn't seem great, but thanks to the team he was only ahead of Williams' cars before the restart and completely nowhere before SC...

IIRC Nico lost two places after second restart and probably P10 was the maximum - higher downforce setup doesn't help with overtaking...

Magnussen was sleeping on the restart.

https://abload.de/img/mag20khb.png

https://abload.de/im...slaterk2jrj.png

Dan 6th after a mistake, Nico with nothing again.

Russia, Japan, Mexico, USA, Brazil... humilating Hulkenberg - you're doing it great  :up:

Edited by rocque, 17 November 2019 - 20:03.

#4495 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,675 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 19:54

P6 for Dan after HAM's 5sec penalty

#4496 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 1,826 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 20:10

Gasly gets a podium, and now Sainz gets a podium. Hulk with none. I hope he gets it in Abu Dhabi

#4497 gowebber

gowebber

• 3,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 20:27

Great recovery from Dan after the incident with Magnussen and being plumb last something like 15 seconds behind. Yeah Dan was optomistic and at fault but Kmag always defends hard on the edge and often goes beyond that. Never liked that guy tbh. Yeah Kmag didn't have to yield but he could see Dan up the inside and pushed him right up onto the kerb. Not sure Dan could have got out of it at that point. There was room for Kmag to go wider too and avoid contact even though technically he didn't have to. Dan was always going to get him was just a matter of time. I'd prefer Dan having a red hot go than being too cautious even if sometimes it doesn't work out.

Frustrating to miss out a potential podium but glad to get some good points and beat Hulk too. What a nuts race! Vettel needs to chuck it in. That was Turkeygate all over again.

Edited by gowebber, 17 November 2019 - 21:24.

#4498 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,219 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 21:48

I kind of stopped following after that Magnussen incident but damn, how did Daniel manage to grab p6 again? 

#4499 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,250 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 22:03

So at this point, if we count Giovinazzi as a rookie (which he sort of is, he only drove couple of races prior to 2019), the only non-rookie F1 driver without podium is Hulkenberg.

Advertisement

#4500 RPM40

RPM40

• 11,219 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 22:05

Dan is showing more and more as the year goes on he's well clear of Hulk in ability.