* * * - - 10 votes

Williams: Drivers, management and other folks at Grove 2019

• Please log in to reply
3866 replies to this topic

#51 cromofo

cromofo

• 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:36

Cromofo, I am not a KUB hater, far from it. I admired him greatly in his first career.
I admired that, unlike most other drivers, he was prepared to let it all hang out in another motorsport.
I admired his fightback from what should have been career ending injuries.
I even admired that he got back to a testing role with a F1 team.

However.I would far rather remember him as the true champion he was than as a makeweight struggling around at the back of the field.
I know you are an unabashed KUB fan, but face it, his day as a front line F1 driver has passed. That is life. He will not see the year out with Williams when there is a much better Mercedes aligned driver waiting in the wings.

Pat

I'll remember him as he himself would like to be remembered. It is his and his choice alone to come back and give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't, if it does, great.

I'll be the first one to say he just isn't up for it anymore, but not before he's had time to properly get in line with the modern F1, especially considering the dog of a car he's driving.

He has a contract, he'll be here probably till the end of the season, Williams need the money. There's no use in saying he won't make it before he's even had the chance to show whether he can or not. That's my main gripe with people dismissing him from the start.

I'm only giving him time and a chance as I'd give to any other driver and I'm asking you to do the same.

Advertisement

#52 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 2,733 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:41

. If he turns out to be no good then I'm sure he will be dropped and at least he (and the rest of us) will receive some closure on his career.

Please KavB, you could never assess him to be 'no-good'! Hi is freakin' brilliant.

Unfortunately, the clock has ticked on and his time has passed.

Pat

#53 pdac

pdac

• 8,005 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 13:13

They’re not the only two people who work at Williams.

And you believe that people will discuss these others? Maybe if you add a "Paddy vs Claire" thread to the mix.

#54 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 856 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 13:20

Yeah let's compare the performance of a guy who didn't have a competitive participation in single seaters for 8 years, to a guy who had recent seasons of competitive racing where he topped his categories.

#55 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,158 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 14:12

And you believe that people will discuss these others? Maybe if you add a "Paddy vs Claire" thread to the mix.

They don’t have to, but if they do, this is the place to do it.

#56 Paco

Paco

• 3,263 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 14:48

Yeah let's compare the performance of a guy who didn't have a competitive participation in single seaters for 8 years, to a guy who had recent seasons of competitive racing where he topped his categories.

Williams cased the money , of course Robert has been out for so long - almost a decade, major injury - no way he should be the same guy .. and yet Williams took him on for money.

But it doesn't even matter cause their car is useless so at least they got some money out of it.

I hope Russell outqualifies Robert 4:1 or better so teams do not in the future try and do this and allow young guns a chance to come in like Russell and Nando over a Kubica..

#57 A3

A3

• 28,999 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 14:56

I'll remember him as he himself would like to be remembered. It is his and his choice alone to come back and give it a shot.

No, it's not his choice. It's the choice of Williams management who chose money over a decent talent (never thought I'd say that of Ocon :lol:)

I don't think I ever saw an experienced driver hit a wall twice at Albert Park.

#58 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 753 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 15:38

By the gods are people actually writing off Kubica after one qualifying session? Take a look at yourselves. 

Seriously the human race is beginning to genuinely worry me. 

#59 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,158 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 15:41

By the gods are people actually writing off Kubica after one qualifying session? Take a look at yourselves. 

It's not the human race. It's our newfound ability to publish every thought instantly that otherwise would have gone unrecorded.

Advertisement

#60 A3

A3

• 28,999 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 15:56

It's not that I have changed my opinion.
https://forums.autos...54#entry8513418

Again, I just don't see how someone with only one useful arm can drive an F1 car competitively.

#61 outofspace

outofspace

• 126 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 16:15

It’s quite irresponsible to compare drivers at this point when cars are still in late test session as they are still checking different setups.

#62 tghik

tghik

• 2,406 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 16:43

Does any1 have onboard footage ?

#63 Paco

Paco

• 3,263 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 16:48

Actually, many wrote him off long before that and want a current racing driver in the seat who was more deserving, test role fine but not the race seat.  We've all been hopefuly it would at least be ok but it wasn't hard to predict the chances of what he was going to be like, age, time away, injury etc.   Nothing about the human race, just facing realism.  Massa came back from lesser injury but wasn't away for too long, Michael was just a broken leg but wasn't away for long, Jacques never truly recovered or was the same after his back injury.

F1 is sooooo demanding physically, and this years cars on pure 1 lap pace seem to demand a lot as the speeds are crazy (probably way less so in race trim and driving).. that seat should have been Ocon etc.  Kubica does a good game of promoting himself but honestly, he had his shoot over 3500 days ago, had a hugely unfortnately accident and lost his chance..  Nothing about humanity..just bad luck.  Lots of deserving drivers never even got into F1 due to bad luck, lack of funds.. Several guys probably in Indy that deserve a shot more then Kubica as well.  I'd even say I would prefer Danica who never did all that well in Cart or Nascar to be their promoting it and would bring way more money than Kubica has and at least make for an interesting story.

Edited by Paco, 16 March 2019 - 16:57.

#64 tghik

tghik

• 2,406 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:13

it wasn't hard to predict the chances of what he was going to be like, age, time away, injury etc. 

Hmmm, age ?? look at Hamilton's age can you give me the difference ? time away, sure is that irreparable ? Unquestionably he's rusty, but give him time and it will go away. The only question mark is injury, but looking at the movements required in order to drive it's not a complete write-off, sure he lost something but I doubt is as much as some think.

As to Russell, I had a feeling he's going to be more dangerous than over-hyped Ocon, WDC contender in the right car.

I understand anti-Kubica camp has a ball now. enjoy it while it lasts

#65 A3

A3

• 28,999 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:15

Does any1 have onboard footage ?

Wall turn 10:
https://streamable.com/60gku

Pit Wall:
https://streamable.com/50uj8

RK pushing buttons on right hand side of wheel with left hand:
https://streamable.com/xx7fp

#66 Paco

Paco

• 3,263 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 17:39

Hmmm, age ?? look at Hamilton's age can you give me the difference ? time away, sure is that irreparable ? Unquestionably he's rusty, but give him time and it will go away. The only question mark is injury, but looking at the movements required in order to drive it's not a complete write-off, sure he lost something but I doubt is as much as some think.

As to Russell, I had a feeling he's going to be more dangerous than over-hyped Ocon, WDC contender in the right car.

I understand anti-Kubica camp has a ball now. enjoy it while it lasts

Yes Age.  You're trying to compare one of the top 5 greatest most consistent drivers of all time who is constantly proving his stupdenous speed and hasn't been away for anytime since he started and absolutely on his game with no injury.  Lewis is an exception to any norm as is Fernando.

Kubica cant even be mentioned in the same breath or concept to that or even any previous champion of the last 30+ years.

The best example on a very very very long shot would be Kimi.  As great as he is, I do think time away hampered him a bit as well as Age hampering a bit.  Its not age'ism.  Just a fact of life that 99.999999 of humanity faces in their 30's and especially 40s onward.  I'm a pharmcokinetist and could go into the actual mechanism that lead to the cascade of what happens in your body as a result but Kubica and Lewis are worlds apart in being able to be perfect on track.  Robert has a lot going against him as a result of everything that happened and his recovery as such (meds, physical and justnot  outright changes to his arm - hand, mental (that way his brain is now wired, they way he process pain, the way he process information etc.) along with age and chip on his shoulder and sense of entitlement from a very good year he once had long ago in a car that was nothing like what drivers race today, both in tech, mental demand of constantly swithching stuff, tire preservation etc. 

Call it for what is it.. unbiased opinion and nothing more.  I do not know the man, but for what I've seen and read and that is where I draw my opinion from and having watched F1 for over 25 years. 

Edited by Paco, 16 March 2019 - 17:45.

#67 cromofo

cromofo

• 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 18:02

No, it's not his choice. It's the choice of Williams management who chose money over a decent talent (never thought I'd say that of Ocon :lol:)

I don't think I ever saw an experienced driver hit a wall twice at Albert Park.

Yes ultimately it was Kubica's decision whether he would take the drive or not. Jesus, at least that's not hard to understand.

#68 A3

A3

• 28,999 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 18:07

Yes ultimately it was Kubica's decision whether he would take the drive or not. Jesus, at least that's not hard to understand.

Yeah well duh. :rolleyes:
You said it was his choice he made a come back. How would he have done that if there was no seat to buy? He already wanted back in 2018 but could get a seat. Or was that also his choice?

#69 Paco

Paco

• 3,263 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 18:11

I'm sure today was off day for Robert, probably more about the car being unpredictable and facing the realities of qualifying and pressure for the 1st time in nearly a decade.  It's one thing to simulate, its one thing to practice, its one thing to think you're superman but its a whole different thing to actually go out an do it.  Let alone in the fastest generation cars to have existed in a long long time over a lap 1 pace with so many tweeks every corner of the steering wheel.  Race will be easier as they run so detuned and can not push lap after lap anymore so he'll get a break during the race which should help.  More qualifying efforts and he'll probably figure out some hacks to make it easier to cope in the cockpit and try and overcome any issues that are a result of physical limitation. 

That said, hopefully Russell will keep up the pressure and stay ahead.  Hopefully, Ocon doesn't get impatient and jumps into the ride to early without sufficient prep and time. rather see him come in next year then driver swaps if Russell outperforms Kubica consistently..

Edited by Paco, 16 March 2019 - 18:13.

#70 cromofo

cromofo

• 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 18:13

You said it was his choice he made a come back. How would he have done that if there was no seat to buy? He already wanted back in 2018 but could get a seat. Or was that also his choice?

It was his choice to come back. He said he wouldn't do it had he not felt ready for it. It's all on him, failure or success. That's what I meant when talking about remembering him.

#71 tghik

tghik

• 2,406 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 18:19

Yes Age.  You're trying to compare one of the top 5 greatest most consistent drivers of all time who is constantly proving his stupdenous speed and hasn't been away for anytime since he started and absolutely on his game with no injury.  Lewis is an exception to any norm as is Fernando.

Kubica cant even be mentioned in the same breath or concept to that or even any previous champion of the last 30+ years.

The best example on a very very very long shot would be Kimi.  As great as he is, I do think time away hampered him a bit as well as Age hampering a bit.  Its not age'ism.  Just a fact of life that 99.999999 of humanity faces in their 30's and especially 40s onward.  I'm a pharmcokinetist and could go into the actual mechanism that lead to the cascade of what happens in your body as a result but Kubica and Lewis are worlds apart in being able to be perfect on track.  Robert has a lot going against him as a result of everything that happened and his recovery as such (meds, physical and justnot  outright changes to his arm - hand, mental (that way his brain is now wired, they way he process pain, the way he process information etc.) along with age and chip on his shoulder and sense of entitlement from a very good year he once had long ago in a car that was nothing like what drivers race today, both in tech, mental demand of constantly swithching stuff, tire preservation etc. 

Call it for what is it.. unbiased opinion and nothing more.  I do not know the man, but for what I've seen and read and that is where I draw my opinion from and having watched F1 for over 25 years. 

Stay with that thought, don't move

As I said we'll be back

#72 sniper80

sniper80

• 910 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 18:42

What is all the talk about Kubica's change of speed in his lap until the incident. What was his time until that point of brushing the wall? Was it just his fastest times, or was it on part with the midfield times?

#73 pdac

pdac

• 8,005 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 18:58

It was his choice to try for a comeback. Williams facilitated that - they did not choose for him to make a comeback or force him to make a comeback, that was his choice and only his.

#74 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,333 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 19:10

What is all the talk about Kubica's change of speed in his lap until the incident. What was his time until that point of brushing the wall? Was it just his fastest times, or was it on part with the midfield times?

2 tenths off Russell in sector 1.

#75 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 753 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 20:45

I've only been watching F1 41 years so what do I know? I'm not going to write off RK on the results of one qualifying session in an under developed, unpredictable car. Over the course of the season, especially if Williams can improve, we'll see how he does. To suggest that he only has one usable arm is clearly incorrect, though I would certainly say he does carry a disability now. Didn't do Archie Scott Brown any harm....

#76 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 9,379 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:42

I remain to be convinced that Kubica is really capable of competing in F1. And I should stress, I don't believe he cannot do so, I'm merely unconvinced either way. 

I really don't see how anything can be inferred from one qualifying session. More than one data point is needed, give him a few races at least before pronouncing Robert dead on arrival. 

#77 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 5,524 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 23:11

I've only been watching F1 41 years so what do I know? I'm not going to write off RK on the results of one qualifying session in an under developed, unpredictable car. Over the course of the season, especially if Williams can improve, we'll see how he does. To suggest that he only has one usable arm is clearly incorrect, though I would certainly say he does carry a disability now. Didn't do Archie Scott Brown any harm....

Archie Scott Brown died in a rather nasty accident, he understeered into a ditch, a kind of gully next to the track. I saw footage of the accident and I always assumed he just lacked the physical strength to get the car out of the 'ditch´ and hence the car somersaulted or overtuned and he died.

Jean Pierre Beltoise had a similar limitation as Kubica, won the Monaco GP in 1972 (I believe) but most experts thought that the race in the rain gave a softer and more gentle general drive which enabled him to win (apart from the fact he was so smart to drive away from the start in second gear instead of first). Or, to put it bluntly: most experts believed he never would have won a Grand Prix in the dry... Other example: Stewart once won a GP at the Nurburgring, in the rain... with a broken wrist. But he conceded himself he never would have won the race in the dry, because the stresses on the hand would have been too great.

And that was, what? More than 45 years ago!

As I wrote in an earlier post: the stresses put on drivers now is so much more than twenty years ago, let alone fifty odd years. I don't know how limited Kubica's armmovement is. I understood from Olav Mol's comment he can only use the right hand to adapt settings on the steering? And that he has to steer with his left hand, alone?

If that is true, even to be a second off the pace is incredible. 

Edited by Nemo1965, 16 March 2019 - 23:30.

#78 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 23:14

and if he 'didn't expected the speed' around Melbourne, it 's gonna be interesting to see him around Monaco..

He didn't expected the speed on that lap (considering how the car behave on the previous laps). Not around Melbourne.

Edited by ForeverInLoveWithF1, 17 March 2019 - 18:46.

#79 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 384 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 23:34

Poor showing from Bobby, let's give him 3 races - it should be clearer where he stands against George.

Advertisement

#80 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,434 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:59

I don't know how limited Kubica's armmovement is. I understood from Olav Mol's comment he can only use the right hand to adapt settings on the steering? And that he has to steer with his left hand, alone?

I think he uses his hand to support the wheel.

However, you can see it when he gets up to some speed that one hand grips the wheel, the other is shaking around.

#81 Paco

Paco

• 3,263 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:23

Watching pre-race Kubica, wow the injury is way more then i expected and status of his forearm and hand.  He must be driving one handed.. I do not discriminate for physical disability but no one he can drive the car like that without added devices or settings consolidating settings etc.  Like Def Leppard's drum kit.  I hope he can do it for the sake of Williams but wow, pretty significant gamble.

#82 cromofo

cromofo

• 311 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:05

A valuable testing session today

#83 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 318 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:10

F1 timing shows Kubica as a lap behind Russel. Is that right??

#84 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,431 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:11

F1 timing shows Kubica as a lap behind Russel. Is that right??

Yep.

#85 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 318 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:15

I understood from Olav Mol's comment he can only use the right hand to adapt settings on the steering? And that he has to steer with his left hand, alone?

If that is true, even to be a second off the pace is incredible. 

Looks like the opposite based on the videos posted a bit further up. Adjusting the settings with the left hand and steering withthe right. But only ion a straight line.

#86 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 318 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:16

Yep.

Well, this isn't going to last long at all then.

#87 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,474 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:18

Kubica was SO slow compared to Russell on live timing. Often second(s) slower. Car damaged when the FW came off??

#88 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 804 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:18

The right thing will be to drop Kubica next year and take Ocon. 

#89 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 818 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:20

Not sure he will even last the year to be honest.

#90 kondi2111

kondi2111

• 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:26

Kubica was SO slow compared to Russell on live timing. Often second(s) slower. Car damaged when the FW came off??

Maybe, just maybe it's because he was being lapped since early in the race due to the front wing change...?

#91 Hans V

Hans V

• 566 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:27

The Williams problems are clearly managerial and I´m afraid the bucks stops with Claire Williams. Having watched some of the Netflix F1 series Claire Williams comes across as unsure, unclear (no pun intended) and stubborn, i.e. an attitude of; «at Williams we do things this way because that´s what we´ve always done». Until she steps aside and they hire a really competent leader I´m afraid the downward spiral will continue. IMNSHO they should have hired Bob Fearnley when he split with Force India last year. As for the drivers, Russel seems like the real deal, while Kubica alreday seems lost with his limitations.

#92 cromofo

cromofo

• 311 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:41

Damaged floor and the replacement front wing wasn't in a good shape, says RK.

#93 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:42

The Williams problems are clearly managerial and I´m afraid the bucks stops with Claire Williams. Having watched some of the Netflix F1 series Claire Williams comes across as unsure, unclear (no pun intended) and stubborn, i.e. an attitude of; «at Williams we do things this way because that´s what we´ve always done». Until she steps aside and they hire a really competent leader I´m afraid the downward spiral will continue. IMNSHO they should have hired Bob Fearnley when he split with Force India last year. As for the drivers, Russel seems like the real deal, while Kubica alreday seems lost with his limitations.

No. Today he has just finished the lost second day of Barcelona test   ;)

#94 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,680 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:49

You knew Williams would be embarrassing but then Kubica showed up and set a whole new standard for being embarrasing 

#95 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:52

Don't you think he deserves a few races after his 8 year absence to get up to speed (= to get to know the car better) before we start to judge his performance?

Edited by ForeverInLoveWithF1, 17 March 2019 - 07:56.

#96 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,474 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:58

Maybe, just maybe it's because he was being lapped since early in the race due to the front wing change...?

He was also dramatically slow long before the leaders starting lapping him. At one point he was doing 1.35's while the rest was doing 1.29's and Russel 1.33's. Both in clear air.

But apparently floor damage and a bad FW replacement..

#97 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 634 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:00

You knew Williams would be embarrassing but then Kubica showed up and set a whole new standard for being embarrasing

I wouldnt make a judgement just yet.
Hard to make a proper comparation of pace when one driver is 1 pitstop behind and have to let go whole field of cars.
In their stint in the middle of the race their pace seemed quite close so it might not be as bad as results suggest.
Also driving with damaged wing and floor isnt helping.
So id just wait next few races before drawing conclusions.
I rate George highly (like Lando) so i expecr him to have an edge but i think RK wont be that far off.

#98 Frood

Frood

• 3,490 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:01

Don't you think he deserves a few races after his 8 year absence to get up to speed (= to get to know the car better) before we start to judge his performance?

I'm refraining from commenting on Kubica's speed at the moment, but no-one ever afforded Luca Badoer that luxury in 2009.

EDIT: with the caveat of course that he was driving for Ferrari, not the slowest team on the grid.

Edited by Frood, 17 March 2019 - 08:02.

#99 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:06

There were laps when he was quicker, too :up: 

The damaged FW was replaced by another damaged FW because of lack of new one.  

Advertisement

#100 Anderis

Anderis

• 3,925 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:11

The guy who sits in another car is Russell- a man who has never driven an F1 race before and is affiliated to Williams for a shorter period of time than Kubica.

I think he deserves several more races before being judged just because even the best drivers have some really bad race weekends from time to time so we need a bigger sample. And there is some doubt about whether lack of new parts might affect the performance of his car. But his 8 years absence should not be an excuse when his team-mate is a rookie. And he knows the team better than Russell.

Edited by Anderis, 17 March 2019 - 08:12.