Williams: Drivers, management and other folks at Grove 2019

• Please log in to reply
6442 replies to this topic

#151 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,776 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:32

Those guys have their hands full.  The car is an absolute crapwagon.  We really don't know if Bobby K is up to the task physically or was away too long because of the car.  It's a grave situation in Grove.

Well he does have a teammate we can compare him to. Of course, that comparison only works when they both have clean races.

Luckily, the team are making the necessary changes back at the factory, though it is taking too long.

Advertisement

#152 BRG

BRG

• 17,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:41

Anyone recalls the big hype about „great achievement“ of one certain test driver Di Resta who once had replaced Massa in a very good Ferrari at GP Hungary some years ago? Di Resta hadn’t been away from F1 for 8 years. He didn’t even finished the race but it was enough he didn’t crashed and the whole F1 world has praised his big achievement.

No, I don't recall that.  Because it never happened.  Paul di Resta has always been a Mercedes man.  Nobody replaced Massa at Hungary that year as the accident happened in qualifying..  Luca Badoer replaced him at the next races and was complete rubbish and was hugely derided for his useless performance.  So your point is total BS.

Edit: with the exception that Badoer HAD been away from F1 for many years.

Edited by BRG, 17 March 2019 - 18:43.

#153 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 481 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:48

No, I don't recall that.  Because it never happened.  Paul di Resta has always been a Mercedes man.  Nobody replaced Massa at Hungary that year as the accident happened in qualifying..  Luca Badoer replaced him at the next races and was complete rubbish and was hugely derided for his useless performance.  So your point is total BS.

I think he's referring to his (di Resta) Saturday afternoon and Sunday drive with Williams in 2017. 

No pre-season testing, no FP1, 2 or 3. Chucked in at Qualifying.

#154 farsailor

farsailor

• 379 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:59

Some of the Kubica hate on here is shocking, I'm not a RK fan but I hope he comes back next race and delivers a great drive. Writing him off after one race is absurd.
Gasly was miles behind Max, should we sack him too?

Please stop telling us there is "hate" towards Kubica just because people express their opinion. He (and his fans) should be able to take criticism of him as well as any other driver.

#155 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 19:11

Sorry, my mistake then  :blush:

#156 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 19:17

I think he's referring to his (di Resta) Saturday afternoon and Sunday drive with Williams in 2017. 

No pre-season testing, no FP1, 2 or 3. Chucked in at Qualifying.

Right, I was referring to that. No idea, why I thought it was related to the Massa replacement at Ferrari.. 

#157 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,826 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 19:23

No hate from me, but lets be realistic. Kubica was at his prime more or less as good as Bottas, Trulli or Heidfield. Very fast on ocasion, capable of winning GP's but not more. That was 10 years ago. 

Then he had the accident and everything changed. His arm was never the same and although he can still drive a F1 car, he can't do it fast enough for time enough to be competitive on the grid. Specialy after 8 years of absence. His tests, quali errors, and race pace show that. I say give him 5 races to find his speed or let him go for his own sake and legacy. 

I keep thinking he could be right now fighting Ogier/Neuville/Loeb/Tanak/Evans in a WRC car instead of crawling around the worse car of the grid 1 lap beind his team mate Yuji Ide style.  He sure had the speed.

Edited by Taxi, 17 March 2019 - 19:24.

#158 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,493 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 19:43

Whilst the Williams isn't competitive, Kubica should focus on bringing it home and learning the car.

It doesn't matter who is in the second seat, they are going to finish last and second last. The last thing Robert should do is push the car and damage parts.

In the same way that a bad race causes extra scrutiny, a good race will do the opposite, letting us dream that maybe he simply needs time to build and grow into the driver he once was.

We should all allow him this time. It is a very long season.

Edited by TomNokoe, 17 March 2019 - 22:53.

#159 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,692 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:07

No hate from me, but lets be realistic. Kubica was at his prime more or less as good as Bottas, Trulli or Heidfield. Very fast on ocasion, capable of winning GP's but not more. That was 10 years ago. 

I don't agree. Kubica at his prime was a diver above average. If you want to make a comparison with the present season, he was similar to Ricciardo: maybe not at the absolute top tier, but above the second tier. And he was young and still improving.

Advertisement

#160 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,894 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:13

I don't agree. Kubica at his prime was a diver above average. If you want to make a comparison with the present season, he was similar to Ricciardo: maybe not at the absolute top tier, but above the second tier. And he was young and still improving.

Yes, I agree, he was very good, he just never got the lucky breaks he needed and maybe RIC wouldn't either. We'll see. He reminds me a bit of Alesi, who were at one point also rated very highly. 

#161 backwards7

backwards7

• 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:15

The Australian Grand Prix demonstrates what an uphill struggle Kubica is facing. I liked him the first time around in F1 and I want him to do well, though nobody is expecting miracles from a team that can't go any further back without falling off the wrong end of the grid.

I found his performance over the weekend disquieting. I think part of that is, with the Williams team in its current state, it's hard to tell where the car problems end and the driver problems begin. When he claims that he couldn't see the lights on the starting grid, why is that? Is this something other drivers were struggling with too?

It will be interesting/potentially heartbreaking to follow his progress throughout the season. 

Edited by backwards7, 17 March 2019 - 21:16.

#162 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 481 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:19

it's hard to tell where the car problems end and the driver problems begin. 

Thankfully he has a novice-team mate as a yardstick.

#163 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,894 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:21

I found his performance over the weekend disquieting. I think part of that is, with the Williams team in its current state, it's hard to tell where the car problems end and the driver problems begin. When he claims that he couldn't see the lights on the starting grid, why is that? Is this something other drivers were struggling with too?

Yes, at least one other driver had the same problem, but I forgot who  :cry:

#164 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 4,015 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 21:27

It's a crap car and that will make things even more difficult for Robert. A bit concerned about Russell also, because just being miles behind the rest is not that great for his development as a driver and he has signed for another year.

#165 Krr

Krr

• 663 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 22:05

So much discussion about KUB being so much slower than RUS, yet nobody showed actual times. So there you go, below. Draw your own conclusions. Obviously around 20-25% of times are not comparable due to start, pits, lapping, but looking on second stint were both were on clear air and the same tires, clearly shows that speed is not what KUB is lacking at the moment. And I even do not take into account that KUB had damaged car, which can be seen below as well. So hold your horses guys, let's compare them after 3-5 races, shall we?

comment_KES1RrCoK2wv3FIyZcjydGK4fblX41Dbb02025e4968b39ea277c8dc7b41d06e089929bb1

#166 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,883 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 22:48

This one is easier to read: http://en.mclarenf-1...=George Russell

#167 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 523 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 00:04

I dont think Bobby was laughable as some nice post suggested.

The joke is on Williams, as I read they replaced damaged floor with damaged floor that they were trying to repair from day before. One cannot make this up. English engineers have sense of humour indeed. Bobby is just a victim in this Benny Hill Show story.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 18 March 2019 - 00:07.

#168 pdac

pdac

• 8,447 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 00:56

The joke is on Williams, as I read they replaced damaged floor with damaged floor that they were trying to repair from day before. One cannot make this up. English engineers have sense of humour indeed. Bobby is just a victim in this Benny Hill Show story.

So how did those floors come to be damaged?

#169 Dolph

Dolph

• 7,193 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 00:59

I don't get this talk about Kubica's limits. If he is actually limited by damage to his hand then Williams wouldn't have him in the car. Nobody's gonna put a guy in an F1 car if he is 1 sec off pace due to his physical limitations.

Also, all the issues with Williams parts and Kubica's crash at the start make the picture very unclear.

Why don't we wait a few races to actually get some results and statistics to see where Williams settle in pace wise compared to the rest of the grid and where Kubica setteles in compared to Russell.

Calling everything based on one race is like saying Bottas is going to win all the races in 2019 by beating Hamilton with 20 seconds to spare and Hamilton should be replace by Ocon. Nobody believes that, right? So why believe the picture as final we have about Williams and Kubica from this race? Especially, when there are so much more variables that can change.

#170 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,200 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:27

Let's face it, the drivers are not Williams's main area of concern atm.

Getting the factory back in order would be a good start

#171 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 939 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:39

What I do recall about di Resta was that everyone at Williams, elsewhere in the paddock, professional pundits and most forum dwellers said he'd done really well considering he'd been out of F1 for a few years. When in fact all he really did was qualify slowly and race slower than his team mate.

And yes, it was a creditable performance given his likely rustiness. While I didn't laud his performance it was fine, it was unrealistic to expect him to come in and stick the car in the top 10.

Yet Kubica is dismissed by some after one race with a damaged crap-box car......It's the very worst kind of "evidence cherry picking". 

#172 Beri

Beri

• 1,952 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:44

Let's face it, the drivers are not Williams's main area of concern atm.

Getting the factory back in order would be a good start

Which is being done at the moment we are all discussing which heads need to roll.

#173 messy

messy

• 3,965 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:49

Di Resta qualified a couple of places off the back and set competitive times in the race. Considering he literally just jumped in for qualifying, it was a strong effort that suggested he was still good enough. Kubica.....lets see how it goes over the next few races.

#174 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 6,339 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:51

This one is easier to read: http://en.mclarenf-1...=George Russell

Kubica lost about 32 seconds in that first stint vs Russell.

Second stint was on par and third stint a bit slower.

Mysterious first stint, rest indeed a lot better.

#175 Beri

Beri

• 1,952 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:54

Di Resta qualified a couple of places off the back and set competitive times in the race. Considering he literally just jumped in for qualifying, it was a strong effort that suggested he was still good enough. Kubica.....lets see how it goes over the next few races.

19th out of 20 if I recall correctly. Wow what an achievement.

#176 KevR

KevR

• 122 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:39

Got to love those keyboard warriors firing Kubica after 1 race, whereas he didn't even have a clean race. Jumping to conclusions so easily, wonder if you'd be so rash if it were your necks on the line.

That's odd indeed, maybe it was due to him getting up to speed in a race trim on a street circuit after such a long break, or he couldn't get the tyres to work.

As some have said, let's wait 4-5 races to see how it goes, with Williams maybe bringing some bigger updates to the next GPs as well.

#177 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 708 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:43

Nothing mysterious about it.

RK lost front wing in second corner, drove a slow full lap without it.

Shortly after wing change he got caught by the leaders which means a lot o blue flags and letting through other drivers.

Second stint looks more less in clear air and tbh it looks okay!

I still expect GR being a bit faster (aspecially in qually) but if his pace in second stint is any indication - he should be just fine.

#178 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,355 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:47

To the people who are so desperate to get RK out of the car, who do they want to replace him? Explain why maybe finishing 2.5 laps down would be more useful than finishing 3 laps down?

#179 messy

messy

• 3,965 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:39

19th out of 20 if I recall correctly. Wow what an achievement.

When you jump into the car for qualifying having had zero practice, not being last is a pretty sound achievement isn't it? I don't think he'd ever driven the 2017 car before either. And in the race he set times comparable with Stroll. Think we'll agree to disagree on that.

People saying Ocon should take Kubica's place - why on earth would Ocon want to do that? 

Advertisement

#180 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 523 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:42

So how did those floors come to be damaged?

Floors quite often get damaged over the kerbs (like Lewis) and during accidents. One would expect 16 time World Champions to actually have same spares, not swap damaged to badly fixed one. Especially when one pays 10 mill for a drive. That is why neither Sirotkin or Stroll wanted to have nothing to do with Williams.

https://mobile.twitt...095072384774144

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 18 March 2019 - 08:48.

#181 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,187 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:46

https://streamable.com/x80t8

a video of the start.

https://facebook.com...149289871826600

a very in-depth q&a with kubica after the race. i don't speak polish, but google translate does a very good job. well worth a read.

one of the more curious things is that they are STILL having seat (position?) issues. this goes back to abu dhabi 2017 when kubica tested the fw40, and for sirotkin last year.

He actually sounds quite positive here, he also says he felt more optimistic after the race even though driving the damaged car was difficult. He does mention next few weekends are going to be more of a test session.

Also thanks to Krr for posting the actual times.

#182 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:04

Nothing so mysterious of you analyse it carefully. First two laps were inlap and out lap for Kubica. The next 6 laps were normalized between Kubica and Russel, as both were just running by themselves, except Kubica letting Riccardo through.

So let's look at it

Lap 3  -0,464

Lap 4 +0,940 (this is the lap when Kubica let Ricarrdo through)

Lap 5 +0.274

Lap 6 +0,088

Lap7 + 0,371

Lap8 -0,233 

Lap 9 Kubica begins the life in Blue Flag world as it's being lapped by the leaders. By lap 9 leaders are not seperated by much distance, so it s train of cars to let through SAFELY. Russel begins to be lapped only by lap 21. So Kubica loses 20+ seconds in these laps as he is driving by his rear mirrrors mainly. Sorry one mirror, the second was lost by lap 3. If you remember  that this is hist first race in 8 years, he is driving with one rear mirrror in such a slow car you understand his primary goal was not to **** up somebody's race while being lapped. Something indeed jappen in laps 20, 21, 22 where he clocked 35,2 34,5 and 38,1. Looks like either some offs or almost parked his car on sidewalk to let back of the field to lap him.

Kubica racecraft is rusty, so he took it extra easy when he had nothing to win and all to lose by impeding other drivers

From first normalized lap after Pitstops (lap30) RK was faster in 12 laps and GR was quicker in 14 laps, but there were lapped all the time so these comparison is worth little, except that GR gained 8 seconds in these laps

All considered there is no doubt then George had better pace in race but there was nothing embarrasing for Kubica in gaps I noted. I would say having one rear mirror missing, caused him to slow down more when being lapped, as he had to rely mostly on his RE radio.

Edited by Gemini, 18 March 2019 - 09:08.

#183 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,538 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:05

One of the highlights for me watching track side (in a stand on the pit straight) was that large number of people who applauded as Robert crossed the line to finish the first grand prix of his comeback. A nice touch from the crowd.

#184 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,826 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:19

I totaly agree with this. He was above average. In fact in 2008 he was one of the top 4 performers. And in 2009/10 he was pretty good too. We will never now how would he face Alonso in the Ferrari but i'm sure he would give him a good fight sometimes. 

The problem is that he had an accident that almost rip his arm apart. In F1 forces and precision are so high you need to be at the top of your phisical hability to perform. Add 8 years of absence and he his an efective 34 years old rookie with a  phisical handicap. 

We all agree Schumacher was the best untill 2006 but when he returned in 2010 just 3 years later in top phiscal form he was not that good anymore. Same goes for Kubica in a more intense way. 

He must use the next races to get into grips and forget about his team mate and other drivers. He will be last or second last so might as well enjoy the ride. if he's that slow for more than 6-8 races better call it a day. 

#185 Murl

Murl

• 724 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:45

Look, I never thought Benny Hill was that funny. For some, he was the pinnacle of humour.

I suggest the detractors of Robert Kubica youtube a few Benny Hill vids, they will be easily satisfied.

#186 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 857 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:50

I think now both Sir Frank and Claire have to realize that the team is more important than their pride. 

#187 doc83

doc83

• 851 posts

Kubica brings money and Williams needs it more right now than a good driver. Just as last year and the year before. 

#188 Beri

Beri

• 1,952 posts

When you jump into the car for qualifying having had zero practice, not being last is a pretty sound achievement isn't it? I don't think he'd ever driven the 2017 car before either. And in the race he set times comparable with Stroll. Think we'll agree to disagree on that.

People saying Ocon should take Kubica's place - why on earth would Ocon want to do that?

To me it really doesn't. These days 3rd/tesdrivers are drilled to their core with simulator work so much, that it is easy to jump in like Di Resta did. And once you have experienced the Gforces before, you won't get into much trouble with accustoming to this either.
So no, I really don't think Di Resta performed well during his one time recall. I think he was on par. And maybe, because of the above said, I was a bit disappointed with him not performing better than Stroll. The same Stroll, who was criticized all season already for being slow.

Edited by Beri, 18 March 2019 - 09:51.

#189 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,812 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:55

What I do recall about di Resta was that everyone at Williams, elsewhere in the paddock, professional pundits and most forum dwellers said he'd done really well considering he'd been out of F1 for a few years. When in fact all he really did was qualify slowly and race slower than his team mate.

And yes, it was a creditable performance given his likely rustiness. While I didn't laud his performance it was fine, it was unrealistic to expect him to come in and stick the car in the top 10.

Yet Kubica is dismissed by some after one race with a damaged crap-box car......It's the very worst kind of "evidence cherry picking". 

That's nonsense. Di Resta jumped in midseason, in a quali session, with 0 miles on the car, and no running in the practice sessions and delivered a credible performance for someone that hadn't even sat in the car till quali.

Kubica was one second a lap slower than a rookie, in car they have similar mileage in.

#190 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:06

Kubica was one second a lap slower than a rookie, in car they have similar mileage in.

Kubica is in fact a rookie too. No, they don't have similar mileage in that car. Second day of Barcelona testing:

GR:140 laps (entire program)

RK: 90 laps (program interrupted due to a "tired car" and lack of new parts). In his own words, he has learned only about 20% of what should have been discovered about the car. 

Edited by ForeverInLoveWithF1, 18 March 2019 - 10:24.

#191 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 523 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:11

That's nonsense. Di Resta jumped in midseason, in a quali session, with 0 miles on the car, and no running in the practice sessions and delivered a credible performance for someone that hadn't even sat in the car till quali.

Kubica lost freakin front wing, has had damaged floor and no mirror while parking on the side to let leaders through. One second slower in a similar cars in your dreams.

#192 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,776 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:11

Kubica isn’t a rookie. Unless you can get your rookie status back by being out for a long time. Think of it like a virginity status. Once it’s gone it’s gone.

Fair enough if you want to say he’s rusty. He’s been out of F1 racing for years.

#193 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 321 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:19

To me it really doesn't. These days 3rd/tesdrivers are drilled to their core with simulator work so much, that it is easy to jump in like Di Resta did. And once you have experienced the Gforces before, you won't get into much trouble with accustoming to this either.
So no, I really don't think Di Resta performed well during his one time recall. I think he was on par. And maybe, because of the above said, I was a bit disappointed with him not performing better than Stroll. The same Stroll, who was criticized all season already for being slow.

In fairness to di Resta he had never tested the 2017 Williams car and had to jump into a car that wasn't even set up for him and he did really well.

When Kubica was the Williams reserve driver in 2018 and he tested the 2018 car and even did some Q1, so there is no way you can compare the two.         

#194 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:33

Kubica isn’t a rookie. Unless you can get your rookie status back by being out for a long time. Think of it like a virginity status. Once it’s gone it’s gone.

Fair enough if you want to say he’s rusty. He’s been out of F1 racing for years.

That's right, Kubica theoretically isn't a rookie.

But in regard to his knowledge and experience about the hybrid cars he is like a rookie. "Rusty" would mean he used to know these cars in the past and all he needs now is just to get rid of his rust. 

#195 pdac

pdac

• 8,447 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:07

Floors quite often get damaged over the kerbs (like Lewis) and during accidents. One would expect 16 time World Champions to actually have same spares, not swap damaged to badly fixed one. Especially when one pays 10 mill for a drive. That is why neither Sirotkin or Stroll wanted to have nothing to do with Williams.

https://mobile.twitt...095072384774144

Yes, but everyone (especially RK) knows that they do not have the spares. I'm sure no one at Williams wants this situation, but it is what it is - and the team members have to deal with it as best the can. I'm sure it will improve, but you can't blame the team if, knowing there are limited spares, you damage the floor of your car. It wasn't the lack of spares that hampered him, it was the lack of being able to recover from the damage that he caused. I'm not saying that it was not unforunate that this happened, but you cannot blame the team here. It's like getting caught by the terms and conditions applied by someone and saying "no one else has those terms, so why should I suffer just because I agreed to them".

#196 ANF

ANF

• 10,698 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:25

It's true that Paul di Resta did a good job. But he had won one of two DTM races at the Hungaroring in June, only six weeks before the F1 weekend. And the 2016 races in DTM were held in September. So he would have had more confidence and experience at the track than Kubica in Melbourne.

#197 danmills

danmills

• 1,301 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:42

Could it be possible that Williams KNEW the car was a bag of chips all winter? A bad car has possible scapegoats when using two incomparable benchmarks in a rookie and a guy that hasn't raced in so long. You have to wonder if this was a factor considered when signing Kubica? You can be forgiven for a bad car because they gave Kubica a chance?

It's a shame, the car is indeed really woeful and this weekend was a real bundle of bad luck for them all. I hope it gets better, Ocon must be wetting himself laughing at not being tied to this.

#198 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,123 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:55

Could it be possible that Williams KNEW the car was a bag of chips all winter? A bad car has possible scapegoats when using two incomparable benchmarks in a rookie and a guy that hasn't raced in so long. You have to wonder if this was a factor considered when signing Kubica? You can be forgiven for a bad car because they gave Kubica a chance?

It's a shame, the car is indeed really woeful and this weekend was a real bundle of bad luck for them all. I hope it gets better, Ocon must be wetting himself laughing at not being tied to this.

Well, Ocon didn't want the drive in the first place, so I guess he isn't laughing.

Also I'm sure they 100% knew the car is going to be weak.

#199 messy

messy

• 3,965 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:56

When's the last time a respected, established team turned up at Melbourne with such an absolute sh*tbox of a car? McLaren made a horrifying hash of it in 2004 but the car was still nowhere near being on the back row. Honda were maybe close in 2007 but still...

I can see why Paddy Lowe went, put it that was. Over a second a lap off the back is disgraceful really for a team of that standing. 

Advertisement

#200 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,776 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:31

McLaren in 2009?