Williams: Drivers, management and other folks at Grove 2019

• Please log in to reply
6450 replies to this topic

#251 GoldenEra

GoldenEra

• 185 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:19

from the school of 'of course we praise our current drivers', last year:

Paddy Lowe, chief technical officer, added: “We have conducted a rigorous and exhaustive driver evaluation process. Ultimately, Sergey Sirotkin impressed the team with his driving pace and talent, technical feedback and work ethic, both at the factory and trackside in Abu Dhabi.

So what changed in a year? $$$ changed.

That's possibly a factor. But also, Kubica had more time in the car, which allowed him more time to discover how the Pirelli tyres work, and how to get the best out of them.

Doesn't fit your narrative though, does it?

Advertisement

#252 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,505 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:24

That's possibly a factor. But also, Kubica had more time in the car, which allowed him more time to discover how the Pirelli tyres work, and how to get the best out of them.

Doesn't fit your narrative though, does it?

more time in the car wouldn't switch him from not impressive vs Sirotkin's technical feedback to "he could be a technical director".

Or Sirotkin is the next Ross B.....

They just need to justify publicly their choices and sing the company's tune

#253 GoldenEra

GoldenEra

• 185 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:31

more time in the car wouldn't switch him from not impressive vs Sirotkin's technical feedback to "he could be a technical director".
Or Sirotkin is the next Ross B.....

They just need to justify publicly their choices and sing the company's tune

I'm not arguing that. I merely replied to statman's tired, same old reply that money was the only deciding factor. It wasn't just money that decided the 2019 lineup. It's perfectly logical to assume Kubica found more speed after the 2017 Abu Dhabi test throughout 2018. I don't know nor care about the technical feedback bit.

Edited by GoldenEra, 20 March 2019 - 10:42.

#254 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 21,064 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:32

They should praise their drivers in public, anything else would be more than weird.

Russel and Kubica are good drivers, both have credentials enough warranting a F1 driver, Russel could potentially be the next big thing, and at least in the past Kubica was more than good enough (Ricciardo level?)

Willams problem this and last year have nothing to do with the drivers, and all to do with the car. In a Alfa Romeo, Racing Point, Haas, McLaren, Reneault, Toro Rosso they would by and large perform excatly or a little better than the drivers in those cars.

:cool:

#255 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,505 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:00

I'm not arguing that. I merely replied to statman's tired, same old reply that money was the only deciding factor. It wasn't just money that decided the 2019 lineup. It's perfectly logical to assume Kubica found more speed after the 2017 Abu Dhabi test throughout 2018. I don't know nor care about the technical feedback bit.

true, it was not when picking up Kubica as well as it was not when they picked sirotkin.

#256 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:55

from the school of 'of course we praise our current drivers', last year:

Paddy Lowe, chief technical officer, added: “We have conducted a rigorous and exhaustive driver evaluation process. Ultimately, Sergey Sirotkin impressed the team with his driving pace and talent, technical feedback and work ethic, both at the factory and trackside in Abu Dhabi.

So what changed in a year? $$$ changed.

Can I ask what talent ? Who did he impress during his 1 season ? Only 1 person continued to praise him, Paddy.  If Sergei was that talented technically and on track, especially that the team had both Kub and Sir working for the team for an easy comparison, Claire would not ditch him, given that sponsoring was similar.

What changed? not money as you say. Sirotkin was chosen because of huge pile of $$$ his sponsors provided. Just as a reminder, in order to get Sirotkin in, Williams was offered twice as much. But isn't all this old story ? Kubica is in, he's got to show on track that he belongs, simple

#257 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 321 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 13:29

Can I ask what talent ? Who did he impress during his 1 season ? Only 1 person continued to praise him, Paddy.  If Sergei was that talented technically and on track, especially that the team had both Kub and Sir working for the team for an easy comparison, Claire would not ditch him, given that sponsoring was similar.

What changed? not money as you say. Sirotkin was chosen because of huge pile of $$$ his sponsors provided. Just as a reminder, in order to get Sirotkin in, Williams was offered twice as much. But isn't all this old story ? Kubica is in, he's got to show on track that he belongs, simple

Kubica got the drive this year because his backers had more ££ for the drive than Sirotkin backers did that's the only reason why Kubica got the Williams drive this season it was simply down to cash and nothing else.    

#258 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,123 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 13:30

Kubica got the drive this year because his backers had more ££ for the drive than Sirotkin backers did that's the only reason why Kubica got the Williams drive this season it was simply down to cash and nothing else.    

Opinion like many others unless you present some hard evidence.

#259 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 737 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 13:59

His race pace in the f***** up car is the same or even better than Russells - a guy who had 0.5s on Sirotkin & Stroll as was reported by the media after he as signed. Kubica stints during testing also confirm this. The numbers dont lie. He made 2 mistakes during his 1st race week in over 8 years (while a guy like Leclerc in 2018 in the beginning of the season couldnt handle his Sauber and it took him how many races to finally get a grip on the car?) but in the race he was very strong. The fact that people don't realize this (or don't want to realize :lol:) just shows how many armchair experts we have our there. Kubica still has it and as a bonus he brings $12m. Williams would have to be insane to not pick him up over Sirotkin.

Edited by GiorgioF1, 20 March 2019 - 14:00.

Advertisement

#260 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 14:20

we've been through this already before, remember:

statman, on 22 Nov 2018 - 10:31, said:
yeah right...

Motorsport:

Sergey Sirotkin, who succeeded in grabbing the seat this year, had brought about 15 million euros for the seat. But Sirotkin's sponsor SMP seems to be reluctant to pay the same amount after this year's bad year.

Motorsporttotal mentions sources say SMP has about halved the budget for a Williams seat.

---

but of course the biggest fans keep wearing those rose-tinted glasses, Kub is all about talent and no money. I repeat: No Money

:rolleyes:

#261 TheJammin

TheJammin

• 330 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 14:34

Sirotkin was hired because he had bags of cash and is also a reasonably talented race driver. The lad won F2 podiums and races and finished in 3rd behind Gasly and Giovinazzi.

Kubica was hired because he had bags of cash and is also a reasonably talented race driver. In the right scenarios the man won a race and had podiums, 8 years ago, before his injury.

Neither of them were hired each year because they blew the other away with talent alone. Arguing over who is more talented is pointless when there is no direct comparison with full available information (look how well we F1 fans can read testing times...)

#262 cromofo

cromofo

• 313 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 14:46

I'm a KUB fan and I don't deny money had a huge impact on him getting a seat. It's obvious and it's how things go in F1, have been and always will be. There's no point in denying it.

I honestly don't care how he got his seat, I care that he's driving an F1 car and has the opportunity to show what he's about.

#263 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 15:24

we've been through this already before, remember:

statman, on 22 Nov 2018 - 10:31, said:
yeah right...

Motorsport:

Sergey Sirotkin, who succeeded in grabbing the seat this year, had brought about 15 million euros for the seat. But Sirotkin's sponsor SMP seems to be reluctant to pay the same amount after this year's bad year.

Motorsporttotal mentions sources say SMP has about halved the budget for a Williams seat.

---

but of course the biggest fans keep wearing those rose-tinted glasses, Kub is all about talent and no money. I repeat: No Money

:rolleyes:

Of course he needed money,  but last year Sirotkin offered twice as much. This year it was close, so if SS had real talent the few millions gap would not make any difference, he'd be retained. Let's be honest, Sirotkin had all year to prove his worth, against a guy 0.6 sec slower than Massa. He blew it. This time Kubica's got full season to show his mantle against someone who is considered for Merc seat, on the same level as Leclerc. There is not even a question that George is in a different league. So let's discuss Kubica at the end of this season or compare Kubica's accomplishments against Sirotkin's, shall we ?

Edited by tghik, 20 March 2019 - 15:26.

#264 GoldenEra

GoldenEra

• 185 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 16:25

aerial view of the start: https://streamable.com/hguv9

#265 BRG

BRG

• 17,200 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 17:04

While George says at some occasions he is not there to fight Robert, his smiling face after the race after being second last and finally admitting he is happy to beat his teammate, it's obvious what his goal is.

It is pretty sad that you are attacking Russell for daing to smile after successfully finishing his first ever Formula One Grand Prix, which will have been his ambition for years and for which he has worked hard.  Did you expect him to cry and say how sorry he was to beat his team-mate, whose feet he is unworthy to even kiss?  Of course he wants to beat his team-mate, like every other driver - including Robert Kubica, who wants to beat Russell every bit as badly.

Your character assasination attempts on Russell are transparent - previously, you accused him of smirking  - denigrating him won't make your man Kubica any better. 

#266 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 481 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 17:15

Sirotkin was hired because he had bags of cash and is also a reasonably talented race driver. The lad won F2 podiums and races and finished in 3rd behind Gasly and Giovinazzi.

Kubica was hired because he had bags of cash and is also a reasonably talented race driver. In the right scenarios the man won a race and had podiums, 8 years ago, before his injury.

Neither of them were hired each year because they blew the other away with talent alone. Arguing over who is more talented is pointless when there is no direct comparison with full available information (look how well we F1 fans can read testing times...)

Indeed

It does seem like many on here are arguing over who is the least worse, or least mediocre.

#267 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,676 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 19:15

Thanks for that link. It prooves I was right in my earlier assesment from two days ago. While he is not guilty for contact with Gasly itself, it happened becasue Robert was where he had no real business to be in - getting along side Gasly on braking and turn-in. It was just wrong instinct, he had nothing to win and a lot to lose getting so close in T1/2. 

Edited by Gemini, 20 March 2019 - 19:19.

#268 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 19:18

It is pretty sad that you are attacking Russell for daing to smile after successfully finishing his first ever Formula One Grand Prix, which will have been his ambition for years and for which he has worked hard.  Did you expect him to cry and say how sorry he was to beat his team-mate, whose feet he is unworthy to even kiss?  Of course he wants to beat his team-mate, like every other driver - including Robert Kubica, who wants to beat Russell every bit as badly.

Your character assasination attempts on Russell are transparent - previously, you accused him of smirking  - denigrating him won't make your man Kubica any better. 

I knew someone will say he was smiling after completing his first GP. But I don't see it that way, his smiles because he has beaten a legendary Kubica (yeah I see it coming...Kub is not legendary). Smiling about being second last, driving for the worst team possibly damaging his career, he should be concerned not smiling. In some interviews declares he is not interested in fighting RK but then he admits he is happy to beat him  :lol:  Anyway, because we are fans of different drivers, we will see things differently. And I have nothing against the fact he wants to defeat him, all drivers do it. He just seems to be a driver to use psychological games in order to help him getting the better of his teammate, like Schumacher or Rosberg did.

By the way I have no worries for Kubica, he will surprise Russell.

Edited by tghik, 20 March 2019 - 19:29.

#269 BRG

BRG

• 17,200 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 19:33

Given your rapid pre-emptive strikes against Russell, I would say that you clearly have a lot of worries for Kubica.  But it is exactly what I would expect from the Kubicistas.

#270 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,676 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 19:35

tghik, please leave the kid some space

he just finished his first grand prix

he is excused to smile, to cry, to have bonner in front of cameras, it's probably best day of his life

you over-analyse it

Edited by Gemini, 20 March 2019 - 19:37.

#271 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 117 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 20:09

Thanks for that link. It prooves I was right in my earlier assesment from two days ago. While he is not guilty for contact with Gasly itself, it happened becasue Robert was where he had no real business to be in - getting along side Gasly on braking and turn-in. It was just wrong instinct, he had nothing to win and a lot to lose getting so close in T1/2. 

Fighter instinct, you just don't lose it that easy :)

#272 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 20:32

If he didn't do it some would say he is rusty, has no racecraft, poor reflexes, can't start a race good enough etc. ;) By the way he was alongside Gasly but I think he  left him space which would suffice if Gasly wouldn't have to avoid other car.

#273 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,817 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 20:33

If you don't go for a gap that exists...

#274 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,169 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 20:35

I knew someone will say he was smiling after completing his first GP. But I don't see it that way, his smiles because he has beaten a legendary Kubica (yeah I see it coming...Kub is not legendary). Smiling about being second last, driving for the worst team possibly damaging his career, he should be concerned not smiling. In some interviews declares he is not interested in fighting RK but then he admits he is happy to beat him  :lol:  Anyway, because we are fans of different drivers, we will see things differently. And I have nothing against the fact he wants to defeat him, all drivers do it. He just seems to be a driver to use psychological games in order to help him getting the better of his teammate, like Schumacher or Rosberg did.

Can you give some proper examples of these psychological games? Smiling and being happy having just competed in your first GP doesn't fall into that category. And if he should be worried about driving for Williams and ruining his career, then you should be applying the same standard to Kubica.

#275 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,817 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 20:39

Perhaps, but it probably won't be the surprise you're expecting.

#276 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 481 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 21:16

Truth be told, if any of us on here finished a GP we would be smiling!!!!!! Its a dream of anyone (or most) competing in the lower classes of Motorsport.

Alonso, Webber, Martini, Fisichella, Trulli all started with Minardi who were always at the back or near the back of the grid. All had decent F1 careers. because talent shines through regardless.

Russel will do the same i'm sure. Not so confident about Kubica Mk2. 

​(saddens me that Williams is now on a similar or worse level to where Minardi operated (in a performance sense).

#277 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 21:47

Perhaps, but it probably won't be the surprise you're expecting.

That would only be if Russell destroys Kubica. Possibility ? anything is but RK is too good and I'll eat my words if I'm wrong. However if they are evenly matched, it's a win for both.

I must admit, GR is hell of a challenger, one of the best RK ever faced which makes it even more exciting.

Edited by tghik, 20 March 2019 - 21:50.

#278 Sixpounder

Sixpounder

• 73 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 00:03

GR vs RK "who is better/who is crap" discussion is really not interesting now - when FW42 is beyond the pace, therefore out of even small points reach.
George and Robert seem to have good relations and I believe that currently their real concern is to raise the quality of car. For now. So please stop being childish here in forum. Grown (physically) men arguing like teenagers. I know forum is the place to share all kinds of opinion, but when I see person who's main goal in his life is to bash or glorify Robert... that's really pathetic. And both sides of this fight are getting more and more involved which makes this topic less essential for more balanced healthy readers. I have impression that Williams success for some of you is pushed far away to the background.

#279 KevR

KevR

• 122 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 00:21

I'd say Russell is the strongest team mate he's had so far in F1. First in BMW Sauber it was Heidfeld who was never a demon of speed and then Petrov in Renault.

Russell seems to be more talented than the both of them, and I think he has a great mindset that should allow him to achieve big things in F1, hopefully. So a good benchmark for Kubica, and let's hope Kubica can be a good benchmark for him as well.

Advertisement

#280 ANF

ANF

• 10,699 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 00:23

The start to the season has been awful for Kubica: a delayed car, hardly any long runs in pre-season testing, then unfortunate contacts with the walls in Melbourne. Given how ill-prepared he and Williams were, the contact at the start today looked very clumsy. He was at the back of the field and should have made it safely through T1 and spend the next 90 minutes collecting data and gaining confidence in the car. Instead he lost his front wing and picked up floor damage... It will be interesting to see what he can do in Bahrain where you're not surrounded by concrete walls.

Gosh, it looks even worse from the aerial angle: 

#281 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 2,870 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:11

I'd say Russell is the strongest team mate he's had so far in F1. First in BMW Sauber it was Heidfeld who was never a demon of speed and then Petrov in Renault.

Russell seems to be more talented than the both of them, and I think he has a great mindset that should allow him to achieve big things in F1, hopefully. So a good benchmark for Kubica, and let's hope Kubica can be a good benchmark for him as well.

I'd say your not far off actually. Heidfeld was never as good as once thought of, a past his prime and unwanted Villeneuve was outqualifying him in 2006 before Thiessen decided he can't have this happening... and Petrov at Renault, well speaks for itself.

I think its just a real shame we never got to see Kubica lined up with Alonso at Ferrari. To see where he truly stood as there is no doubt he was very quick and Fernando, at that time, was THE benchmark.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 21 March 2019 - 02:11.

#282 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,135 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:24

Even worse? What on earth are you tallking about you can see each contacts at almost every race. Forum overreacting like usual.

Edited by realracer200, 21 March 2019 - 02:24.

#283 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 2,782 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:24

I am starting to wonder, if they even have secured budget for whole year.

My sources also told me that KUB's money was tied to him actually driving in the races.

That too might explain some things.

Pat

#284 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,123 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:44

I know right, looks almost as some Grosjean stunts. How on earth he only lost a wing with that balatant Gasly t-boning? Thank God for HALO. 

Edited by thuGG, 21 March 2019 - 08:44.

#285 farsailor

farsailor

• 379 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:04

I'd wait to make that assumption. Russel has had one race at the back of the pack and he is allready a stronger competitor than Heidfeld?

#286 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 945 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:06

OK we are clearly not watching the same video. What clip does your browser take you to when you follow the link?

Mine goes to a replay of the start of the 2019 Australian Grand Prix, where Kubica got of the line really well, made the turn ahead of Gasley as he is perfectly entitled to do provided his front wheels are ahead of Gasley's rear and provided he gives Gasley enough space to make the turn without going off-piste.........Gasley then over-reacted a bit to a McLaren getting leary to his left and drove into Kubica. 

I'm very curious as to what video you're watching. 

Edited by absinthedude, 21 March 2019 - 09:09.

#287 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,698 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:21

I don't think anyone has a precise idea of where Kubica stands now in terms of speed, relative to his previous stint in Formula 1.

In modern times, he has only done a handful of free practices, a couple of private tests with Williams and Renault and one single race, which was compromised from the start. Not enough to draw any conclusion.

Let's see how he performs in the races to come.

#288 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 945 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:33

I'd wait to make that assumption. Russel has had one race at the back of the pack and he is allready a stronger competitor than Heidfeld?

Heidfeld is now a known quantity....he was a very good F1 driver but not top drawer, nor in the Ricciardo, Barrichello or Massa mold. He was a dependable guy who could bag a lot of points and podiums but not a race winner or WDC contender.

Russell has a pedigree in the lower formulae which suggests he could be "the next big thing".....though it is way too early to tell. Many a driver has a stellar record in the junior formulae only to prove to be a journeyman in F1. 

Edited by absinthedude, 21 March 2019 - 09:34.

#289 farsailor

farsailor

• 379 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:48

Heidfeld is now a known quantity....he was a very good F1 driver but not top drawer, nor in the Ricciardo, Barrichello or Massa mold. He was a dependable guy who could bag a lot of points and podiums but not a race winner or WDC contender.

Well, he beat Massa, he beat Raikkonen and he beat Kubica in 2 out of 3 seasons.

#290 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,817 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:00

Russell has a pedigree in the lower formulae which suggests he could be "the next big thing".....though it is way too early to tell. Many a driver has a stellar record in the junior formulae only to prove to be a journeyman in F1.

Thing is, there’s a decade spanning the two and Robert has spent most of it not driving an F1 car and recovering from a very serious accident. Too many variables to make any sort of meaningful comparison.

#291 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:14

GR vs RK "who is better/who is crap" discussion is really not interesting now - when FW42 is beyond the pace, therefore out of even small points reach.
George and Robert seem to have good relations and I believe that currently their real concern is to raise the quality of car. For now. So please stop being childish here in forum. Grown (physically) men arguing like teenagers. I know forum is the place to share all kinds of opinion, but when I see person who's main goal in his life is to bash or glorify Robert... that's really pathetic. And both sides of this fight are getting more and more involved which makes this topic less essential for more balanced healthy readers. I have impression that Williams success for some of you is pushed far away to the background.

I understand your objection given the state of Williams team and how bad the car is, maybe inter battle should not be the main topic at this moment. However that didn't stop George to state he is happy beating his teammate and that only after first race.

After all there is another topic in this forum "Williams technical thread" and this one is about drivers and other folks, although drivers will be the center of the discussion, as usual.

#292 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 857 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:34

I think we should not judge Bobby because we're not even fit to be F1 passengers, let alone drive with a limitation.

#293 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,123 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:35

I think we should not judge Bobby because we're not even fit to be F1 passengers, let alone drive with a limitation.

We judge every driver on the grid, and we can judge Kubica, but we have to do it with some representative sample size.

#294 farsailor

farsailor

• 379 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:37

He is in F1. This is no charity event. He should be judged as any other driver, with limitations or not. But we should not judge him yet.

#295 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 945 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:07

At present the WIlliams FW42 is so far behind the field that realistically we can only look at the relative performance of Kubica and Russell, and how close they can get to the 18th place car on the grid. 

As has been pointed out,we do not have enough data yet. After a few grands prix where both drivers have clean weekends the picture will emerge. 

#296 ANF

ANF

• 10,699 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 15:04

OK we are clearly not watching the same video. What clip does your browser take you to when you follow the link?

Mine goes to a replay of the start of the 2019 Australian Grand Prix, where Kubica got of the line really well, made the turn ahead of Gasley as he is perfectly entitled to do provided his front wheels are ahead of Gasley's rear and provided he gives Gasley enough space to make the turn without going off-piste.........Gasley then over-reacted a bit to a McLaren getting leary to his left and drove into Kubica. 

I'm very curious as to what video you're watching.

I'm watching a replay of the start of the 2019 Australian Grand Prix in which Kubica lost his front wing because he made it three-wide into and out of Turn 1.

3.jpg

#297 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,123 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 15:08

I'm watching a replay of the start of the 2019 Australian Grand Prix in which Kubica lost his front wing because he made it three-wide into and out of Turn 1.

3.jpg

So?

#298 ANF

ANF

• 10,699 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 15:25

So?

So it was a clumsy and unnecessary move. His target for the race was probably to get more experience and confidence in the car and help the team gather data so they can fix the fundamentally flawed Williams. The last thing he needed was a damaged, undriveable car and the risk of getting less reliable data because of the damage.

#299 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,123 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 15:39

So it was a clumsy and unnecessary move. His target for the race was probably to get more experience and confidence in the car and help the team gather data so they can fix the fundamentally flawed Williams. The last thing he needed was a damaged, undriveable car and the risk of getting less reliable data because of the damage.

Listen, he didn't do anything stupid there, he wasn't squeezing anyone into the apex, he gave room for the drivers inside and did his line. Gasly moved to the right and the contact was made, that's it. Suggesting that it was clumsy is pretty ridiculous. If you want to know how 'clumsy' looks the search for some of Grosjean or Kvyat starts.

Edited by thuGG, 21 March 2019 - 15:39.

Advertisement

#300 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 475 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 15:48

To me it was a simple first lap contact. Gasly suddenly took a wider line. At the start KUB had not made the most of the tow, youcan tell Russell pickedup up a bit better towards the braking zone. It was a brave and perhaps somewhat desperate move into and out of two, trying to get the ideal line to perhaps take 2 or 3 cars. It didn't work out.

I just want to say it's so sad that the #1 talent coming through and the most heroid recovery story of out sport find themselves at a legendary team which is actually hitting rock bottom. It's sporting injustice. And I hate it, but the B team thing would help so much here. It should be doable without the political influence. PU customers don't make way for Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari, right? They bought a PU and that's it, they race. Somehow with chassis parts it's different, you get to be a lap dog with 2x4 wheels?

Both RUS and KUB deserve better for their first F1 races in this new era for them. Let's hope that without Paddy, the actual engineers on the ground can turn it around. Their drivers surely have the speed and technical understanding to get the very most out of the whole process.