Williams: Drivers, management and other folks at Grove 2019

• Please log in to reply
5726 replies to this topic

#4401 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:50

Williams circling the drain?

The Williams Formula 1 team has posted a significant financial loss for the first six months of 2019 as it pays the price for its poor performance last season.

In the past Williams were able to survive by getting a few crumbs from Bernie.  Will LM offer the same help?

https://www.autospor...owing-poor-2018

Advertisement

#4402 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 520 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:09

I know how to help them, how about employing a sucker with superlicense, who happens to have spare XXX millions , then give him sub-par car, save money on development, don't bother about spare parts or squeeze some extra by running 6 races per engine. By the time sucker realises and leaves, have another sucker with deeper pocket lined up.

Stroll, Siro => Bob => Latifi => Who's next?

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 11 September 2019 - 10:25.

#4403 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,675 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:27

I know how to help them, how about employing a sucker with superlicense, who happens to have spare XXX millions , then give him sub-par car, save money on development, don't bother about spare parts or squeeze some extra by running 6 races per engine. By the time sucker realises and leaves, have another sucker with deeper pocket lined up.

Reflecting on this financial data, I would not be surprised if they skip on designing brand new car for 2020.

They will be in hibernation mode untill new 'concorde agreement' is done, in hope of better distribution of FOM revenues

Edited by Gemini, 11 September 2019 - 11:27.

#4404 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:33

On the positive side, it's not your money that gave Kubica a drive in the Last Chance Saloon.  Had Williams not taken the sponsor's money, Kubica (and Poland) would have spent the rest of his life wondering "What if?".  Now he knows and it hasn't cost him or you a zloty.

#4405 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:41

Reflecting on this financial data, I would not be surprised if they skip on designing brand new car for 2020.

They will be in hibernation mode untill new 'concorde agreement' is done, in hope of better distribution of FOM revenues

With only 10 teams and LM paying them all, Williams only need to clock on at every race to collect their dosh.  Not that I'd expect Claire to admit that's their intention for next year.  If Williams work it properly, they only need to start races.  They can save a fortune by suffering unexpected terminal problems at every race, for at least one car.  If they had any sense, they'd start doing that for the rest of the season.

"Sorry Robert, you've drawn the short straw, again.  Only ten laps this week.  Look on the bright side, you won't be last again and you've already got that point in the bag"

#4406 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,628 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:49

In the past Williams were able to survive by getting a few crumbs from Bernie.  Will LM offer the same help?

Force Stroll would block this, just as Williams blocked them a year ago.

https://f1i.com/news...orce-india.html

And even alter with the new RP team:

https://www.pitpass....orce-India-deal

Haas seemed to block some more:

https://www.racefans...ve-prize-money/

So no, advance payments are usually out of the question.

#4407 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,974 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:59

With only 10 teams and LM paying them all, Williams only need to clock on at every race to collect their dosh.  Not that I'd expect Claire to admit that's their intention for next year.  If Williams work it properly, they only need to start races.  They can save a fortune by suffering unexpected terminal problems at every race, for at least one car.  If they had any sense, they'd start doing that for the rest of the season.

"Sorry Robert, you've drawn the short straw, again.  Only ten laps this week.  Look on the bright side, you won't be last again and you've already got that point in the bag"

There are specific rules against that, or there used to be at least. 

#4408 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,974 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:00

Force Stroll would block this, just as Williams blocked them a year ago.

https://f1i.com/news...orce-india.html

And even alter with the new RP team:

https://www.pitpass....orce-India-deal

Haas seemed to block some more:

https://www.racefans...ve-prize-money/

So no, advance payments are usually out of the question.

I think that Williams themselves blocked advance payments towards some of the budget teams in the past, as well. 

#4409 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,646 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:01

With that financial background arriving on time for the winter tests will be difficult enough, let alone improving the car. It will be the same kit being even slower next year.

#4410 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,628 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:12

I think that Williams themselves blocked advance payments towards some of the budget teams in the past, as well. 

Jup. Those moves are really going to hurt them in the end.

#4411 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 12,974 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:19

Jup. Those moves are really going to hurt them in the end.

Jup, I suspect that some of the people working in those teams at the time are now working for current teams. They will not be likely to forget. 

#4412 hansmann

hansmann

• 468 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 13:12

Well, one could also argue that Ferrari got fed crumbs, only much bigger ones, to stay in F1 .

To name just one team .

It's part of the game ; if the less successful teams are forced to quit the sport due to the way the income is distributed, the entire franchise might crumble .

New teams are not exactly showing up at an alarming rate, are they ? ;)

With LM, one of the promises made was to level the playing field, and to do it beyond the whims of a single person .

#4413 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,628 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 14:43

Jup, I suspect that some of the people working in those teams at the time are now working for current teams. They will not be likely to forget. 

And to divide by 9 instead of 10 means more money for them. 

#4414 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,755 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 14:57

With LM, one of the promises made was to level the playing field

Except, it is the Williams team that chooses not to buy competitive & relatively affordable customer parts, while other teams are doing so effectively (Toro Rosso, Alfa Romeo, HAAS, Racing Point).

It seems bizarre that Williams would expect to be able to produce a McLaren-level car entirely in-house on a Toro Rosso budget.  :confused:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 11 September 2019 - 15:00.

#4415 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 15:22

Except, it is the Williams team that chooses not to buy competitive & relatively affordable customer parts, while other teams are doing so effectively (Toro Rosso, Alfa Romeo, HAAS, Racing Point).

It seems bizarre that Williams would expect to be able to produce a McLaren-level car entirely in-house on a Toro Rosso budget. :confused:

Yes. But that’s what makes Williams Williams. They are not just a b team. They are trying to stay true to their roots and what F1 should be...

I highly doubt we’ll see anything from until at least 2021... they simply haven’t been able to for a while and can’t do anything till then. They’ll be racing pretty much the same car for the next 30 gp’s and poor Russell will be the brunt of it all cause of Mercedes fears of a young disrupting their harmony.

#4416 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 520 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 15:53

On the positive side, it's not your money that gave Kubica a drive in the Last Chance Saloon. Had Williams not taken the sponsor's money, Kubica (and Poland) would have spent the rest of his life wondering "What if?". Now he knows and it hasn't cost him or you a zloty.

I actually have paid for that drive, those zlotys came from Polish taxes, as Orlen is state owned company. That is why I complain so much, I am paying customer ;)

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 11 September 2019 - 15:53.

#4417 miwost

miwost

• 99 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 16:25

Will this suffice?

https://www.planetf1...-robert-kubica/

Ohhh yup. This one is good. As I said before - I trust no words from a williams team. I have my reasons to believe its a very convinent thing for them to keep roberts status perceived the way it is now. Funny is that you so blindly believe those words of a man whose not even a chief race engineer (another good one from williams) when on the other hand the driver says "I have never driven George’s car so I cannot judge, but you do not have to drive to see some things". Sure, call me delusional, but I have followed Roberts career for more than 10 years and I know that I can trust his words. Surely I couldnt say this about any of the f1 teams with all this politics around. And here comes another wicked theory: williams acknowledges robert poor tyre management just when theres roumors about haas possibilities who is also struggling with the tyres. ;-)

#4418 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 16:47

Ohhh yup. This one is good. As I said before - I trust no words from a williams team. I have my reasons to believe its a very convinent thing for them to keep roberts status perceived the way it is now. Funny is that you so blindly believe those words of a man whose not even a chief race engineer (another good one from williams) when on the other hand the driver says "I have never driven George’s car so I cannot judge, but you do not have to drive to see some things". Sure, call me delusional, but I have followed Roberts career for more than 10 years and I know that I can trust his words. Surely I couldnt say this about any of the f1 teams with all this politics around. And here comes another wicked theory: williams acknowledges robert poor tyre management just when theres roumors about haas possibilities who is also struggling with the tyres. ;-)

Yet many have followed Williams since before Kubica even turned a steering wheel and would trust what they say too.  It's swings and roundabouts.  

#4419 szym3k

szym3k

• 302 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 16:54

Yet many have followed Williams since before Kubica even turned a steering wheel and would trust what they say too.  It's swings and roundabouts.  

Williams from the glory days and nowadays are two totally different entities. What was once a race team is now a business. 

Advertisement

#4420 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 16:58

Williams from the glory days and nowadays are two totally different entities. What was once a race team is now a business.

I don’t see it that way... the game just got harder and the money more and they holding to their values but finding it a tough task... I don’t see it as a biz.. I do see it as survival mode mind you... far worse then have ever experienced. McLaren has to sell off a lot to get back.. time will tell if Williams do the same..

The biggest shame is that a good young talent is stuck not being able to showcase much cause they can’t take in a good teammate next year..and unwilling to let him go to advance his career... Williams will zero to help the guy but could hurt him.. selfish to hold him and selfish as well if Merc to do it as well if they not willing to give him a ride. At least Redbull and Ferrari give they guys a chance.

Edited by Paco, 11 September 2019 - 17:01.

#4421 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:02

And the Kubica of 8 years ago is not the Kubica of today, they are also two different entities if we are going down that route.  

#4422 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:05

I don’t see it that way... the game just got harder and the money more and they holding to their values but finding it a tough task... I don’t see it as a biz.. I do see it as survival mode mind you... far worse then have ever experienced. McLaren has to sell off a lot to get back.. time will tell if Williams do the same..

The biggest shame is that a good young talent is stuck not being able to showcase much cause they can’t take in a good teammate next year..and unwilling to let him go to advance his career... Williams will zero to help the guy but could hurt him.. selfish to hold him and selfish as well if Merc to do it as well if they not willing to give him a ride. At least Redbull and Ferrari give they guys a chance.

I disagree about Russell.  It is better that he is in F1 in any context.  Mercedes will have access to his data and they can see what he is doing on track.  They are not going to ignore him because he is driving for Williams as opposed to Racing Point.  Mercedes have Bottas for 2020 as he is a steady hand and can let Russell continue to learn the ropes at Williams and next season (to an extent this one as well) he will be the team leader which will also benefit him and potentially Mercedes.  They do not need to rush him.  Being at the back doesn't do a good young driver any harm at all.  

#4423 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,755 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:07

Ohhh yup. This one is good. As I said before - I trust no words from a williams team. I have my reasons to believe its a very convinent thing for them to keep roberts status perceived the way it is now.

Would it not make more sense for Kubica to enter F2 in a Orlen car, win F2, then enter F1 as reigning F2 champion? :)  In this case, any doubts would be removed.  :up:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 11 September 2019 - 17:08.

#4424 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,185 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:12

Sure, call me delusional, but I have followed Roberts career for more than 10 years and I know that I can trust his words. 

I reckon there are many on here who have followed Williams since long before Robert Kubica was even born.

#4425 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:14

I reckon there are many on here who have followed Williams since long before Robert Kubica was even born.

I wanted to say that but fortunately although older than Kubica, I am not old enough to have followed Williams that long  :lol:

#4426 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:15

I disagree about Russell. It is better that he is in F1 in any context. Mercedes will have access to his data and they can see what he is doing on track. They are not going to ignore him because he is driving for Williams as opposed to Racing Point. Mercedes have Bottas for 2020 as he is a steady hand and can let Russell continue to learn the ropes at Williams and next season (to an extent this one as well) he will be the team leader which will also benefit him and potentially Mercedes. They do not need to rush him. Being at the back doesn't do a good young driver any harm at all.

Either you have the talent or you don’t, I don’t buy into the idea you can groom anyone after a year of experience but I do believe constantly driving bad cars can hurt your development and style.. after a year most guys can handle whatever after familiarity of tracks in a F1 car, working in F1 and media relations.. the longer your away from the front the worse it is. We’ve seen lots of guys get buried in the mid pack as a result of not getting call ups early enough. Sucks seeing an average guy like Bottas prevent call ups. Suck seeing great like Fernando get stuck next having to leave as well... hopefully Bottas doesn’t cause Russell to become a Hulk, KMag etc stuck in middle cause Mercedes were afraid of strong competition between their drivers. Nice seeing RB work it and promoting and dropping drivers that don’t perform as they expect. Nice seeing Ferrari promote Charles vs keeping on with Kimi... Mercedes needs to wake up. Ocon got lucky Renault took him due to apparently Hulk being negative internally.. that doesn’t happen often in F1...

Edited by Paco, 11 September 2019 - 17:17.

#4427 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:18

Either you have the talent or you don’t, I don’t buy into the idea you can groom anyone after a year of experience but I do believe constantly driving bad cars can hurt your development and style.. after a year most guys can handle whatever after familiarity of tracks in a F1 car, working in F1 and media relations.. the longer your away from the front the worse it is. We’ve seen lots of guys get buried in the mid pack as a result of not getting call ups early enough. Sucks seeing an average guy like Bottas prevent call ups. Suck seeing great like Fernando get stuck next having to leave as well... hopefully Bottas doesn’t cause Russell to become a Hulk, KMag etc stuck in middle cause Mercedes were afraid of strong competition between their drivers. Nice seeing RB work it and promoting and dropping drivers that don’t perform as they expect. Nice seeing Ferrari promote Charles vs keeping on with Kimi... Mercedes needs to wake up.

As you say though, you either have talent or you don't, driving a bad car won't change that.  But you learn a lot in bad cars that can help you when you are in a good one.  Russell is young enough that it won't hurt him.  If Russell is good enough (which is still unproven) then he will rise to the top in time.  He is no more entitled to be in the Mercedes than any other driver.  Mercedes do not need to rush as unlike Vettel at Ferrari, Hamilton is still performing exceptionally well so why rock the boat at the moment?

#4428 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:27

As you say though, you either have talent or you don't, driving a bad car won't change that. But you learn a lot in bad cars that can help you when you are in a good one. Russell is young enough that it won't hurt him. If Russell is good enough (which is still unproven) then he will rise to the top in time. He is no more entitled to be in the Mercedes than any other driver. Mercedes do not need to rush as unlike Vettel at Ferrari, Hamilton is still performing exceptionally well so why rock the boat at the moment?

Cause they lost their edge, Max and Charles and even Seb next year going to give them more headaches then an intrateam driver push and if McLaren gain a bit and Renault now over 1000 hp for short periods and if they unlock that for a longer period they could be in for a hard time.. and Bottas just seem even as Toto said to handle the pressure of getting by... just decent when clean air and out front.. but so can almost everyone.. so Williams locking out Russell and Mercedes holding back a rough call absolutely now could be detrimental to their cause as well as Russell.. he may get the call on their downward period... and Bottas not helping them from slowing that downturn...

Edited by Paco, 11 September 2019 - 17:29.

#4429 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:40

Cause they lost their edge, Max and Charles and even Seb next year going to give them more headaches then an intrateam driver push and if McLaren gain a bit and Renault now over 1000 hp for short periods and if they unlock that for a longer period they could be in for a hard time.. and Bottas just seem even as Toto said to handle the pressure of getting by... just decent when clean air and out front.. but so can almost everyone.. so Williams locking out Russell and Mercedes holding back a rough call absolutely now could be detrimental to their cause as well as Russell.. he may get the call on their downward period... and Bottas not helping them from slowing that downturn...

Williams have not locked out Russell.  If Mercedes wanted him (they didn't) they would have brought him in just like they did with Bottas.  

#4430 szym3k

szym3k

• 302 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:45

And the Kubica of 8 years ago is not the Kubica of today, they are also two different entities if we are going down that route.  

Very much so. F1 8 years ago was a completely different Formula. Why the dig at Kubica?

My post concerning Williams, not slagging the team just pointing out that their priorities have changed throughout the years. 

#4431 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:45

Very much so. F1 8 years ago was a completely different Formula. Why the dig at Kubica?

My post concerning Williams, not slagging the team just pointing out that their priorities have changed throughout the years. 

It is not a dig at Kubica, it is a comment as well.  Not every comment about Kubica is an attack on the man.

#4432 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,185 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:49

It seems bizarre that Williams would expect to be able to produce a McLaren-level car entirely in-house on a Toro Rosso budget.  :confused:

The thing is, only 5 years ago Williams were producing a better than McLaren level car on whatever their budget was back then. Probably more than today, but Martini didn't pump that much money into the team. The facilities are there to make a decent car. Something went wrong a couple of years ago when Paddy Lowe joined the team.

#4433 szym3k

szym3k

• 302 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 18:02

It is not a dig at Kubica, it is a comment as well.  Not every comment about Kubica is an attack on the man.

Fair enough. 

I disagree about Russell.  It is better that he is in F1 in any context.  Mercedes will have access to his data and they can see what he is doing on track.  They are not going to ignore him because he is driving for Williams as opposed to Racing Point.  Mercedes have Bottas for 2020 as he is a steady hand and can let Russell continue to learn the ropes at Williams and next season (to an extent this one as well) he will be the team leader which will also benefit him and potentially Mercedes.  They do not need to rush him.  Being at the back doesn't do a good young driver any harm at all.  

In agreement, but timing can be a factor as well. Riccardo made it work for himself, but there were many other good drivers who stepped into the wrong team at the wrong time and it ended their career.

Russell's showing this year has been great. We'll see how it shakes out for him next year, especially if Williams is that far behind again. 

Edited by szym3k, 11 September 2019 - 18:03.

#4434 AndyPerry

AndyPerry

• 270 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 18:04

I think you're utterly wrong on this.

#4435 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 18:45

The thing is, only 5 years ago Williams were producing a better than McLaren level car on whatever their budget was back then. Probably more than today, but Martini didn't pump that much money into the team. The facilities are there to make a decent car. Something went wrong a couple of years ago when Paddy Lowe joined the team.

This sums things up perfectly from what I can tell.  With the start of the hybrid era, the cars first created by Mike Coughlan but taken further by Pat Symonds (and Ed Wood of course) Williams had slippy cars that made the most of the Mercedes engines, it was a good strategy that paid off big time.  Paddy Lowe came in and took apart that strategy, going for Mercedes/Ferrari/Red Bull levels of downforce but without the ability/budget to pull it off.  What we see now, a car that is draggy and slow on the straights is a net result of that.  Maybe the base element of the car is okay, it is stable, especially compared to last year's car but the aerodynamics are off.  I think the team is capable but the design path has been off.  I still think even with the bad financial news that next year Williams can produce a better car and mix it with the midfield.  

#4436 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,185 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 18:51

This sums things up perfectly from what I can tell.  With the start of the hybrid era, the cars first created by Mike Coughlan but taken further by Pat Symonds (and Ed Wood of course) Williams had slippy cars that made the most of the Mercedes engines, it was a good strategy that paid off big time.  Paddy Lowe came in and took apart that strategy, going for Mercedes/Ferrari/Red Bull levels of downforce but without the ability/budget to pull it off.  What we see now, a car that is draggy and slow on the straights is a net result of that.  Maybe the base element of the car is okay, it is stable, especially compared to last year's car but the aerodynamics are off.  I think the team is capable but the design path has been off.  I still think even with the bad financial news that next year Williams can produce a better car and mix it with the midfield.

I hope you’re right on the last part. Not feeling too optimistic about that side of things right now.

#4437 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 18:55

I hope you’re right on the last part. Not feeling too optimistic about that side of things right now.

I have to hope or else the winter is going to be massively depressing (from a motorsport point of view)!

#4438 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,066 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:49

Would it not make more sense for Kubica to enter F2 in a Orlen car, win F2, then enter F1 as reigning F2 champion? :) In this case, any doubts would be removed. :up:

I don't think that you're allowed to enter F2 after competing in F1, and I see no reason why Kubica should be treat any differently.

Perhaps Indycar may be an option.

#4439 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,185 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 20:51

I don't think that you're allowed to enter F2 after competing in F1, and I see no reason why Kubica should be treat any differently.

Perhaps Indycar may be an option.

I think it's once you've done a full F1 season. Roberto Merhi went back to F2 for a couple of years.

Advertisement

#4440 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,066 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:14

I think it's once you've done a full F1 season. Roberto Merhi went back to F2 for a couple of years.

I didn't know that, cheers.

I think Kubica will see out the full season, I see no reason why not to. I don't think the Williams / Kubica is the happiest one, but I very much doubt seeing them parting company before the season is over.

#4441 Beri

Beri

• 1,554 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:16

Let's talk about front wings then :D
gSM1yyn.jpg

It seems they are same spec, are they swapped between cars? if yes, is it standard procedure?

Wait, what? I only see 4 pictures with identical front wings..

#4442 Anderis

Anderis

• 3,978 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:21

Glad I was not the only one who couldn't see a difference. If someone does, please tell what to look for.

#4443 baboo

baboo

• 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:21

Wow, I really don't understand what Williams are planning. If next year is as bad as this year (quite likely) then they are pretty much guaranteed to be dead last in 2021 as well. You can't have a team building total crap of a car for three years in a row and then suddenly build a great one or even a good one. It just doesn't happen like that.

As for RK I'd really like to see him in Formula E next year, I think with all the street circuits and reliance on mechanical grip he could do well there. I hope it is not something boring like DTM.

#4444 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:24

Awesome lol

#4445 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,066 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:26

Kubica's front wing endplate has a squiggly bit on the bottom on the 3rd image (Monza - Saturday). That's the only difference I can see.

Adrian Newey would be proud of my technical insight!

Edited by Counterbalance, 11 September 2019 - 21:29.

#4446 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:30

Wow, I really don't understand what Williams are planning. If next year is as bad as this year (quite likely) then they are pretty much guaranteed to be dead last in 2021 as well. You can't have a team building total crap of a car for three years in a row and then suddenly build a great one or even a good one. It just doesn't happen like that.

As for RK I'd really like to see him in Formula E next year, I think with all the street circuits and reliance on mechanical grip he could do well there. I hope it is not something boring like DTM.

They’re not a new entry so I don’t agree fully. It truly depends on the root cause of this years car.. I think it’s 90% financial and 10% low targets that caught them out on aero required. They are so tight financial they may run into very late update prob race 4 next year with whatever Frankenstein car they show up with in Aus..

#4447 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,066 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:38

I'd laugh like mad if they'd been saving up this year and Williams turn up with a monster car for 2020. Sadly, it's very unlikely though.

Edited by Counterbalance, 11 September 2019 - 21:39.

#4448 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 520 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:40

The black bottom parts of FW of one of the cars have white marks across whole width of it while on other car's FW is plain black. What are those white marks? Is it the same FW swapped between cars? Probably there is simple explanation. And defo it is same spec.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 11 September 2019 - 21:47.

#4449 shure

shure

• 1,257 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:44

The black bottom parts of FW have white marks across whole width of it while on other car's FW is plain black. What are those white marks?

I/m a bit confused.  What exactly is this indicative of?

#4450 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 1,066 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 21:50

Could they possibly be load sensors or something?