* * * - - 11 votes

Williams: Drivers, management and other folks at Grove 2019

• Please log in to reply
5766 replies to this topic

#4501 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,759 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:48

Do not know if it is bad or good. But at least we can watch Kubicas a few next races without those emotions about should he or should not stay at Williams. 

FORZA ROBERT!

Why doesn't Kubica pick up an Indycar drive?  He would be very welcome there.  :up:

Advertisement

#4502 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,198 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:51

Why doesn't Kubica pick up an Indycar drive?  He would be very welcome there.  :up:

Maybe the lack of power steering.

#4503 shure

shure

• 1,259 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:27

That's put a stop on Red Bull or McLaren asking for a Mercedes engine for the next 6 years.

On current evidence Red BUll asking for Merc engines won't be on the cards anyway.  They will never go back to customer status while a works deal is on the cards

#4504 GarilNarbe

GarilNarbe

• 130 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:54

If he would have to go out from F1 he would go to WRC2 probably... but there is still an option to stay in F1 as 3rd driver or HAAS 2nd.

#4505 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,718 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:21

If he would have to go out from F1 he would go to WRC2 probably... but there is still an option to stay in F1 as 3rd driver or HAAS 2nd.

2nd driver at Haas? Did I miss something?

#4506 statman

statman

• 4,821 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:58

you didn't miss anything, it's just wishful thinking

#4507 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,842 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:01

You make it sound like he holds all the cards, but there is only an option if a team offers him something.

#4508 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 417 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 13:08

makes sense. Haas gets the polish bucks, and you can't crash into your teammate if hes a mile behind you. 

#4509 BRG

BRG

• 16,962 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 15:15

It seems you are saying Williams should wait for a works engine deal to boost them as it did in the past.  

:confused:   I am totally bemused as to how you manage to infer that from a post which merely commented that pride and stubbornness may be virtues for racers!

Really?...

Maybe. 

Do you know if the Williams transmission is inferior to the Merc one?  And if so, perhaps you can elucidate for the rest of us just how much of a difference there is?  And do you know whether it is cheaper to make your own (bearing in mind that they have been doing that for years so have a lot of expertise and investment in it) than to buy one off the shelf?  Is Merc selling them at Lidl prices?  Please provide us with the figures so that we can all know.

#4510 Sid04

Sid04

• 753 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 15:28

makes sense. Haas gets the polish bucks, and you can't crash into your teammate if hes a mile behind you.

Haas is a point scoring team..why would they opt for a guy who is lacking very evidently in terms of speed..

#4511 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 417 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 15:54

Haas is a point scoring team..why would they opt for a guy who is lacking very evidently in terms of speed..

Money and the knowledge its one less car for kmag to crash into which scores them more points and saves them cash. (I'm joking    ;) )

#4512 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 481 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 21:05

Because they tend to turn left?

#4513 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,517 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 21:27

:confused: I am totally bemused as to how you manage to infer that from a post which merely commented that pride and stubbornness may be virtues for racers!

Maybe.

Do you know if the Williams transmission is inferior to the Merc one? And if so, perhaps you can elucidate for the rest of us just how much of a difference there is? And do you know whether it is cheaper to make your own (bearing in mind that they have been doing that for years so have a lot of expertise and investment in it) than to buy one off the shelf? Is Merc selling them at Lidl prices? Please provide us with the figures so that we can all know.

There were rumours thag they would be over a second quicker if they would use the Mercedes transmission.

Also making your own is most likely not cheaper from what I'vd heard. It's pure stubborness IMO.

#4514 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,505 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 23:39

There were rumours thag they would be over a second quicker if they would use the Mercedes transmission.

Also making your own is most likely not cheaper from what I'vd heard. It's pure stubborness IMO.

and presumably if the just bought a complete Mercedes off the shelf they would be even quicker than that, but luckily there is still a place for some independant engineering in F1 and a few people left who see the merit in that.

Edited by RacingGreen, 15 September 2019 - 23:39.

#4515 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:46

Thankfully there is some independence and teams trying build their own stuff.. otherwise it will be a spec series or a only big manufacturers can win... at least someone is trying to do something on the their own..

#4516 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,636 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:56

Why? He is slower by a big margin.

#4517 shure

shure

• 1,259 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:10

Why? He is slower by a big margin.

Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be slower in every series

#4518 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,636 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:12

No, but considering the speeds in Indycar, it isn't exactly a retirement home.

#4519 flingsofdeon

flingsofdeon

• 119 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:33

Kubica looking at Audi in the DTM according to this site.

Advertisement

#4520 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 15:40

No, but considering the speeds in Indycar, it isn't exactly a retirement home.

I doubt he’d be competitive Indy and if anything, worse. As for DTM no idea.

#4521 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,844 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 15:51

Q2 this weekend?

#4522 BRG

BRG

• 16,962 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 15:58

A whole second faster with a Merc box? Really?  I find that hard...no, make that impossible to believe.  That's just people making stuff up and isn't worthy of any attention.

And why should a small dedicated racing workshop making a transmission in Brackley be able to make it substantially cheaper than a small dedicated racing workshop in Grove?  Just because the first has Mercedes over the door doesn't make them cheaper - quite the opposite, I would have thought, if the rest of the Mercedes empire is anything to go by.  It's not like they are producing hundreds of thousands of units and getting big economies of scale whilst Williams are handcrafting three or four gearboxes a year.  

This whole gearbox thing is just a forum myth that has been put about enough that people unwittingly start to believe it.  Until we see some proper evidence, I call BS....

#4523 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 16:58

As for the gearbox.... 1s sounds huge but considering how often they are shifting etc and perhaps not optimized to the engine software who knows. Plus, never heard if they officially overcame its weight issue and causing weight distribution issue it caused as well so it could be several issues and compromises as such. I like they are trying but i don’t think anyway including themselves know exactly if it’s holding them back or if it’s helping them any. Just one fact in a long long list things

#4524 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 205 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 17:37

A whole second faster with a Merc box? Really?  I find that hard...no, make that impossible to believe.  That's just people making stuff up and isn't worthy of any attention.

And why should a small dedicated racing workshop making a transmission in Brackley be able to make it substantially cheaper than a small dedicated racing workshop in Grove?  Just because the first has Mercedes over the door doesn't make them cheaper - quite the opposite, I would have thought, if the rest of the Mercedes empire is anything to go by.  It's not like they are producing hundreds of thousands of units and getting big economies of scale whilst Williams are handcrafting three or four gearboxes a year.  

This whole gearbox thing is just a forum myth that has been put about enough that people unwittingly start to believe it.  Until we see some proper evidence, I call BS....

It's clearly BS, not worth a second thought.

#4525 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,979 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 18:15

It's probably one second per race....

#4526 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 878 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 19:44

Kubica looking at Audi in the DTM according to this site.

More Audi looking at Kubica. Possibly a good move for him.

#4527 GarilNarbe

GarilNarbe

• 130 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:45

So Kubica is leaving Williams... do not want to be part of the auction.

You can say many things about Robert, but one is known for sure... he is man of honor.

And it looks like Latifi will not have to pay so many $$ for his seat in Williams. Bad knews for Claire.

#4528 Krr

Krr

• 621 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:45

Kubica and Orlen terminates the deal with Williams. Robert will race in remaining 7 races, but do not want to continue after that. To be offical soon.

Use Google translate:

https://sokolimokiem...o-sezonie-2019/

#4529 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 5,622 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:48

Kubica and Orlen terminates the deal with Williams. Robert will race in remaining 7 races, but do not want to continue after that. To be offical soon.

Use Google translate:

https://sokolimokiem...o-sezonie-2019/

Not at all a surprise.

I liked his cameo appearance; fair play to him. It was never going to last.

#4530 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 20,844 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:14

The culmination of a very sad episode.

#4531 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 676 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:32

Yea it seemed obvious that Williams are keen to sign Latifi anyway so Robert would be "a candidate" just to raise the price for Latifi.
If they saw the chances are small, its wise to make it clear and focus now on finding good seat in other series (+3rd driver role in F1) before its too late.

#4532 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,237 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:34

Jumping before he was pushed?  Who knows.  It didn't work out but it was good he had a chance and I am glad for his fans they got to see him in F1 once more.  A pity it was in a dog of a car but that is a drag for Williams fans as much as it does for Kubica fans.  I really do dislike the tone though that has been taken against the team that actually gave him a race seat.  It is a shame that there cannot be a little respect.  

#4533 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:55

Jumping before he was pushed? Who knows. It didn't work out but it was good he had a chance and I am glad for his fans they got to see him in F1 once more. A pity it was in a dog of a car but that is a drag for Williams fans as much as it does for Kubica fans. I really do dislike the tone though that has been taken against the team that actually gave him a race seat. It is a shame that there cannot be a little respect.

Gave him or actually sold it to him? Depends how you look at it. Maybe Bob's zlotys actually saved the team after loosing canadian dollars and rubles? Who knows? the team is not in a great financial state now and was in really bad shape last year.

But I agree, I wished there was more respect on both sides.

Anyway, Kubica is packing his toys away and Williams is loosing another sponsor - Orlen. Orlen does not want to stay with Williams but apparently wants to stay in F1, possibly with Force Racing Point, one of their top dogs were seen wondering around Orlen's HQ. Hopefully Latifi will bring enough money to cover that lose.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 19 September 2019 - 11:04.

#4534 GarilNarbe

GarilNarbe

• 130 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:11

Hopefully Latifi will bring enough money to cover that lose.

Some says that Williams wanted 30mlns$ from Orlen for Kubicas seat. We will se how much Latifi will pay.

#4535 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,198 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:13

Fair play to him because he was given a shot. Turned out it wasn’t right for him. But time for Williams to move on and get someone else in the car.

#4536 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:26

Some says that Williams wanted 30mlns$ from Orlen for Kubicas seat. We will se how much Latifi will pay.

$30 mil? It is just not realistic, I understand that Williams is still a magic name in F1 but reality is they are on Minardi level of performance. For that sort of money Orlen can get much more exposure on some other F1 team, that is actually shown on TV and still have some spare to put Bobby in DTM.

Edited by NoForumForOldPole, 19 September 2019 - 11:30.

#4537 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 676 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:27

Yeah ive read rumors about Latifi willing to pay up to 30 mlns. But without RK as leverage, the price might got lower.

#4538 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,641 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:32

Better to resign than to be fired...at least if you don't care about severance. I think this was the obvious result this season. Robert wasn't quick enough, and he was not going to keep that seat if Latifi gets his superlicense, or someone else become available. 

#4539 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,675 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:13

Good news. I would not stand another year like this one...

Advertisement

#4540 AndyPerry

AndyPerry

• 276 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:18

$30 mil? It is just not realistic, I understand that Williams is still a magic name in F1 but reality is they are on Minardi level of performance. For that sort of money Orlen can get much more exposure on some other F1 team, that is actually shown on TV and still have some spare to put Bobby in DTM.

Maybe Williams' tactic was to give Orlen/Kubica an offer they had to refuse.

#4541 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:20

Maybe Williams' tactic was to give Orlen/Kubica an offer they had to refuse.

Yep, could well be.

#4542 Krr

Krr

• 621 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:24

Yep, could well be.

Or maybe Orlen/Kubica was not willing to make any offer at all.

Recently Robert was saying a few times that first of all he needs to decide what to do next year, so this make very well be that decision - not continue with Williams.

Edited by Krr, 19 September 2019 - 12:24.

#4543 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:24

Or maybe Orlen/Kubica was not willing to make any offer at all.

Recently Robert was saying a few times that first of all he needs to decide what to do next year, so this make very well be that decision - not continue with Williams.

Yep, could well be.

#4544 Krr

Krr

• 621 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:37

https://www.williams...-of-2019-season

#4545 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:38

13:36 And Kubica announces that he is leaving Williams: "We are looking for different opportunities. In order to evaluate those opportunities, I took the decision that I will not continue with Williams beyond the end of this season.

"It's a decision I took. It opens up other possibilities for me and now I will evaluate what is possible."

#4546 Coral

Coral

• 4,178 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:49

Awwww, Kubica is leaving Williams. :(  So sad, but I can't say I'm surprised. So sad that his return to F1 hasn't really worked out.

Edited by Coral, 19 September 2019 - 12:49.

#4547 Beri

Beri

• 1,568 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:50

30 million is a number coming from people who really don't know jack about F1. It's simply unrealistic.
23 million spread over 2019 and 2020 was rumored (never confirmed) and sounds like a more realistic figure.

#4548 Beri

Beri

• 1,568 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:56

BTW, in happy that he's leaving. An entire season of Kubica telling the car not being tailored to his wishes was toe curling. The lad should have never been in the situation where he was begging for improvement. He was too good in the past to deserve this absolute horror that's called his comeback. I'm glad he took matters in his own hands and announced his retirement. In that way he still has his dignity.

#4549 Krr

Krr

• 621 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 13:00

BTW, in happy that he's leaving. An entire season of Kubica telling the car not being tailored to his wishes was toe curling. The lad should have never been in the situation where he was begging for improvement. He was too good in the past to deserve this absolute horror that's called his comeback. I'm glad he took matters in his own hands and announced his retirement. In that way he still has his dignity.

Where he said he is retiring?

#4550 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,341 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 13:07

Autosport