Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

McLaren in 2019: Sainz and Norris, sponsors, management, rumour and scuttlebutt from the MTC

• Please log in to reply
695 replies to this topic

#651 djparky

djparky

• 996 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 18:10

Team should be very happy with their driver lineup right now.

Fast, consistent, low amount of errors and seemingly without drama at this time.

Yep totally agree, wasnt sure about Norris after a meh season in F2 but hes been impressive this year. And his comedy moment at the Silverstone driver briefing is priceless

Advertisement

#652 loki0420

loki0420

• 934 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:47

Yep totally agree, wasnt sure about Norris after a meh season in F2 but hes been impressive this year. And his comedy moment at the Silverstone driver briefing is priceless

Meh season still resulted in P2 when his focus was already on F1. So i wouldn't count it. Its not like Russell situation who had all the motivation he need to impress Mercedes.

#653 Lerdes

Lerdes

• 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:15

Meh season still resulted in P2 when his focus was already on F1. So i wouldn't count it. Its not like Russell situation who had all the motivation he need to impress Mercedes.

Norris is a future star. No doubt about it. Good for him that he is with Mclaren at the moment and maybe the next two years. Imagine if he were at Redbull... 

#654 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 199 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:56

I'm pleased we have Norris - he's a good kid and obviously pilots the car well. I've been impressed with how he took a measured approach to his F1 career, not just spunking it off every other race or getting into battles he doesn't need to etc - he's got a decent head on those young shoulders. What I wanted to see was him getting quicker - which he has done, he's faster than Carlos in qually but has had some bad luck in recent races. His starts are better now, but still not as good as Sainz... all this will come with some experience I'm sure.

#655 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,238 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 18:08

Pretty uninteresting note, but after the IndyCar announcement the "Formula 1" section of the McLaren website has been remaned simply "Racing".

Edited by Joseki, 14 August 2019 - 18:08.

#656 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:05

https://www.gpfans.c...ore-belgian-gp/

Norris injured before Belgian GP

Do they have a reserve driver just in case?

Edited by jstrains, 26 August 2019 - 11:06.

#657 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,053 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:25

Sergey Sirotkin. They are sharing him with Renault.

#658 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 2,065 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:31

McLaren themselves said this is nothing serious. Inflamed tendon

#659 Owen

Owen

• 12,934 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:34

Sounds minor. Or it's being spun that way. 

Advertisement

#660 BRG

BRG

• 16,882 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 17:01

Sounds minor. Or it's being spun that way. 

If he was wandering around at the British MotoGP without a problem, it is minor.  If anything is allowed to be minor in these days of inflamed social media outrage and controversy

#661 A3

A3

• 29,206 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:09

I think Carlos is a pretty good driver, but something has always irked me about him. This is a prime example.
https://www.planetf1...gives-him-edge/

“If they would benefit from it, then Lando would be quicker in the simulator in McLaren than me. But he’s not.

“So I don’t think they benefit from it.”
“I haven’t seen anything from Lando that I haven’t seen from Lewis. That doesn’t explain time in a simulator, if you know what I mean,” Sainz added.

Dude...

Edited by A3, 29 August 2019 - 06:10.

#662 frosty125

frosty125

• 352 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:51

As simply a McLaren fan i don't see an issue with his comments. He is just saying drivers with different lifestyles are just as fast. Sainz likes to be outdoors, Lando likes gaming, Lewis likes the high life doesn't mean that one of them is faster because of the lifestyle.

#663 shure

shure

• 847 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:05

As simply a McLaren fan i don't see an issue with his comments. He is just saying drivers with different lifestyles are just as fast. Sainz likes to be outdoors, Lando likes gaming, Lewis likes the high life doesn't mean that one of them is faster because of the lifestyle.

yes I agree.  He's not saying anything controversial here

#664 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,657 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:26

It would be controversial if he would say that spending time in gaming sims is bad, but clearly he doesnt, so I dont see what's wrong in stating that something that is quite obviously no advantage - but he is asked if it is - is no advantage.

#665 A3

A3

• 29,206 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:32

He can't conclude it's no advantage for Norris if the other guy isn't faster than him in a sim. The way Norris uses the sims is not just hotlapping, but racing with other people. Who is Sainz to say that Norris doesn't benefit from it?

#666 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,657 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:41

Well, all points to it, no? The best driver doesnt race sims at all. The boss of the currently best driver says the gaming sims are nonsense. Norris is slower than him despite spending his weekends on the sim, etc.

Perhaps it does help Norris personally and he would be worse off without it, but Sainz is merely stating an opinion ("I think") that is supported by plenty of evidences, plus in the end all he is saying is that his approach isnt less benefitting, so what exactly is the problem?

#667 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,550 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:09

Well, all points to it, no? The best driver doesnt race sims at all. The boss of the currently best driver says the gaming sims are nonsense. Norris is slower than him despite spending his weekends on the sim, etc.

Perhaps it does help Norris personally and he would be worse off without it, but Sainz is merely stating an opinion ("I think") that is supported by plenty of evidences, plus in the end all he is saying is that his approach isnt less benefitting, so what exactly is the problem?

I personally think it does help, even if it is just training the mind. Maybe the impact is not that big, but the comments like "Hamilton doesnt use it and he´s very good" are in the same category as "Smoking doesnt kill people. My aunt smoked her whole life and she is over 90 years old."

*edit: but Sainz is obviously free to state his opinion on that :). I dont really see a problem with it. The statement that he´s quicker than Lando is maybe a tad arrogant, but all top athletes/drivers are and they should be. 

Edited by Heyli, 29 August 2019 - 08:10.

#668 A3

A3

• 29,206 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:15

The reason he thinks Norris isn't benefiting from sim driving is that he is not faster in the Mcaren sim. That's really short sighted. As I said, Carlos can't judge if he benefits from it or not.

#669 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,672 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:57

The reason he thinks Norris isn't benefiting from sim driving is that he is not faster in the Mcaren sim. That's really short sighted. As I said, Carlos can't judge if he benefits from it or not.

Seems to me they enjoy a healthy and humorous rivalry, one of the most comfortable among all the teams.

#670 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,550 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:18

Seems to me they enjoy a healthy and humorous rivalry, one of the most comfortable among all the teams.

Actually apart from Haas all teams seem to have a pretty comfortable line-up this season? 

#671 Claudius

Claudius

• 3,420 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 19:30

Gutted for Norris, that was cruel.

#672 Owen

Owen

• 12,934 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 18:38

Fernando will be at Monza with McLaren as a guest.

#673 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 19:46

Wow. This place is like a ghost town. People can say what they like about Alonso, but the guy sure generates conversation. Since he distanced himself from Macca its been pretty slow in the McLaren threads.

Easier to understand now why Zak Brown is so eager to hang on to him. He's basically the last bit of relevance McLaren has until they can turn either Sainz or Norris into a multiple winner.

#674 BertoC

BertoC

• 569 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 20:19

Wow. This place is like a ghost town. People can say what they like about Alonso, but the guy sure generates conversation. Since he distanced himself from Macca its been pretty slow in the McLaren threads.

Easier to understand now why Zak Brown is so eager to hang on to him. He's basically the last bit of relevance McLaren has until they can turn either Sainz or Norris into a multiple winner.

The car thread is still pretty active.

#675 bogi

bogi

• 3,945 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 20:25

MCL34 technical thread is twice bigger than Ferrari/Mercedes/Red Bull thread.

#676 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,946 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 18:00

Not much to talk about. Drivers are performing well. They're signed to new deals. Have stayed out of controversy. Appear to be great on social media. No disharmony. 

Why kick up a fuss?

#677 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,582 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 22:10

You think they hung onto him for his conversation generating skills rather than his driving skills?

#678 baddog

baddog

• 27,125 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 22:52

There is a nostalgia forum over ---> there somewhere for you. You can reminisce about 2006 there.

#679 Marklar

Marklar

• 32,657 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 23:01

The Alonso vs. Stoffel thread was pretty dead last year from June onwards iirc.

And the McLaren Technical Thread is still pretty active? Obviously with them having less issues this year it's logical to produce less conversations.

Advertisement

#680 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,584 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:13

Wow. This place is like a ghost town. People can say what they like about Alonso, but the guy sure generates conversation.

It's not the Alonso factor, it's the forum rules, where instead of v threads every team now has 2 threads, the differences of which remain completely unclear to me and others. 

#681 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,011 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:24

McLaren's car seems to be relevant enough around here to generate the longest thread every single season - this one included

#682 Ellios

Ellios

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 17:31

Lando providing clear instruction to his race engineer !

https://streamable.com/362wo

#683 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 783 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:31

And seems popular around Monza
http://www.twitch.tv...407?sr=a&t=516s

#684 CPR

CPR

• 5,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 22:27

McLaren unboxed from Monza:

Ted's Notebook had a funny bit with Lando and Carlos larking about:

If you want to skip ahead to the McLaren bits:

https://youtu.be/GUCEfuSU3b8?t=957

#685 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,945 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:03

McLaren unboxed from Monza:

Ted's Notebook had a funny bit with Lando and Carlos larking about:

If you want to skip ahead to the McLaren bits:

https://youtu.be/GUCEfuSU3b8?t=957

Nice thank you.

#686 CPR

CPR

• 5,066 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 13:12

Interesting and in-depth article from Carlos's race engineer about qualifying in Monza:
https://www.motorspo...ss-monza-happen

#687 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,219 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 18:47

McLaren moving North American corporate HQ to Coppell, Texas.

Edited by AustinF1, 12 September 2019 - 18:47.

#688 BRG

BRG

• 16,882 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 15:24

For those you don't know (which included me until I looked it i up)  Coppell is a suburb of the Dallas-Fort Worth conurbation and is close to the DFW Airport.

#689 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,238 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 13:37

H1 2019 - H1 2018

Total Group Revenue / Pound (US Dollar)

698m (871m) - 511m (638m) [+36%]

Total Racing Division Revenue / Pound (US Dollar)

76m (94m) - 69m (86m) [+10%]

Heritage Cars Sales Revenue / Pound (US Dollar)

3.9m (5m) - 9,2m (11m) [-57%]

Racing Division Revenue (excluding Heritage Cars Sales) / Pound (US Dollar)

72,1m (90m) - 59,8m (74m) [+20%]

Source: https://investors.mc...ion-h1-2019.pdf

Edited by Joseki, 14 September 2019 - 13:41.

#690 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,945 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 13:41

wow :up:

#691 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,946 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 15:52

I, for one, am glad that they don't have to sell off more heritage cars to stay afloat  :up:  :up:

#692 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 783 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 13:17

At least Lando is filmed for Drive to survive this weekend. If they don't cut him out for promoting Amazon!

#693 Owen

Owen

• 12,934 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 18:56

The financial situation;
https://www.pitpass....enue-rise-by-92

#694 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 783 posts

Posted Today, 14:04

Shame Norris couldn't repeat his Q2 lap. It was INSANE!

#695 Lights

Lights

• 16,414 posts

Posted Today, 14:19

Yeah Norris could've been 7th with his best sectors. Which also would've been great in terms of both McLaren's being in front of the Renaults.

#696 MNader

MNader

• 278 posts

Posted Today, 14:26

Noriss' interview on sky was pretty amazing. he is an honest kid and IMO he is the real deal, I am impressed. his Q2 lap was a class lap, equal to Charles' pole