Photo
- - - - -

McLaren in 2019: Sainz and Norris, sponsors, management, rumour and scuttlebutt from the MTC

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#51 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,346 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 21:05

Amsterdam - Northcape - Amsterdam

Amsterdam - Monaco- Amsterdam 

Amsterdam - Nice - Milan - Vienna - Brno - Berlin - Amsterdam

No problem whatsoever with a Model S 85. Getting to and back from Brno into Austria was a bit tricky as the Czech Republic did not have Superchargers that year.

There is a reason why BMW is working like crazy suddenly to transition to EV. Why Volkswagen has put a massive amount of money into EV platfroms for their entire product range (Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat). In Europe and China the internal combustion engine is a dead end. Not worth any further development as new ICE cars will be banned in less than 10 years. 

Whatever F1 does at the moment, now new engine manufacturer will step into the class. Unless they move full EV or Hydrogen. 

That's the part that that EV fans don't seem to get is turning off many people. Yes, you can drive all these tours you did if you are willing to sit down in advance and do the planning. Otherwise not so much. This may change soon, but hasn't yet. (Edit: and it's even worse when not traveling between big cities).

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 27 March 2019 - 21:07.

Advertisement

#52 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,748 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:06

That's exactly what it looked like in F2, a conscious decision to play it safe almost at all times, which is just plain weird and even unnatural for such a young driver. You'd expect a kid this young to be hot-headed and learn wheel-to-wheel racing by experimenting with it, not avoid it and play the percentages game.

It's as if he's the opposite of Max Verstappen, who takes risks at all times even when it's unnecessary. Lando in F2 often looked like he could afford being more adventurous.

Interesting.

It can be a good asset at some point when McLaren does have much more pace in the car.

Because the car is not as good as the top three, we want driver to show a magic to put it more performance than the car can do.

I shall think it is important to be very careful about this wish, as it can ruin the whole points.

What is the best strategy for the driver to perform during the race, with the pace of the car as is?

1) make them take the maximum risks, have accept failure;

2) keep it within the acceptable range and score as much as possible.

I would say 2) is the one to go. Still I can agree that the Lando might be able to push harder during the race.

#53 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 139 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:03

That's the part that that EV fans don't seem to get is turning off many people. Yes, you can drive all these tours you did if you are willing to sit down in advance and do the planning. Otherwise not so much. This may change soon, but hasn't yet. (Edit: and it's even worse when not traveling between big cities).

Guess what, there are apps to do all that planning for you. Even on board. A week's road trip might take minutes to plan in terms of charging. Heck, you can just start driving and let the co-pilot figure out where to stop first if you know the terrain so badly. You might end up at a 50kW charger sometimes, well that's not exactly the end of the world unless you have a fully loaded semi truck and trailer. Just a packed car, you'll be on your way in an hour or so. 

#54 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,346 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:15

Guess what, there are apps to do all that planning for you. Even on board. A week's road trip might take minutes to plan in terms of charging. Heck, you can just start driving and let the co-pilot figure out where to stop first if you know the terrain so badly. You might end up at a 50kW charger sometimes, well that's not exactly the end of the world unless you have a fully loaded semi truck and trailer. Just a packed car, you'll be on your way in an hour or so. 

A work colleague has a Tesla and I know pretty well how it is, i.e. quite different to being able to rely on gas stations everywhere. I mean, it was in the post I replied to.

#55 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,096 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:22

D2voG2tX0AUy89G.jpg

#56 CPR

CPR

• 4,638 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:29

Can't seem to find it posted elsewhere - here's Lando's onboard from quali in Australia:

https://twitter.com/...531004719382529

#57 Owen

Owen

• 12,840 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 16:55

Fernando returning for some F1 running.

Following the grand prix this weekend, we’ll be staying in Bahrain a little longer for an in-season test. We’ll be using both the MCL34 and a Pirelli-specific car to test tyres over two days in Sakhir.

Our driver line-up will include Carlos, Lando and Fernando Alonso.

On Day 1, Carlos and Lando will be sharing duties in the MCL34, and Fernando will be in the Pirelli car.

Day 2 will feature Lando in the MCL34, and Carlos and Fernando sharing the Pirelli car. Follow all the action via TEAMStream on 2 – 3 April.

Edited by Owen, 28 March 2019 - 16:55.

#58 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,096 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 17:13

Something worth noting.

Norris is still a rookie for the FIA, that means that the day and a half he will spend testing will count towards the 2 days of testing reserved for rookie drivers. Effectively McLaren have to use a rookie driver only for half a session.

#59 Owen

Owen

• 12,840 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 18:59

Vype branding to appear on car.
https://www.racefans...ing-in-bahrain/

Advertisement

#60 ar1

ar1

• 181 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 19:23

Odd that version of the car - most of the other sponsors are missing

#61 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,133 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 20:21

Get the feeling he will follow the car development and then jump back in a seat when things look even better for the team.

#62 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 609 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 23:24

They should take note of everything Fernando suggests, and do the absolute opposite.

#63 NikL

NikL

• 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 00:23

Vype branding to appear on car.
https://www.racefans...ing-in-bahrain/

How is this even legal?

On Vype packaging: "This product contains nicotine which is a highly addictive substance"

Wikipedia page for Nicotine: "Nicotine is highly addictive. It is one of the most commonly abused drugs"

#64 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 749 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 00:32

How is this even legal?

On Vype packaging: "This product contains nicotine which is a highly addictive substance"

Wikipedia page for Nicotine: "Nicotine is highly addictive. It is one of the most commonly abused drugs"

What a waste of ad space. It's not like they've even done anything iconic with the livery....it will just be controversy...

Atleast Marlboro, MildSeven, West, Camel and the like were iconic liveries.

#65 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,308 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:02

How is this even legal?
Wikipedia page for Nicotine: "Nicotine is highly addictive. It is one of the most commonly abused drugs"

Uhmm what’s illegal about nicotine?

#66 loki

loki

• 5,495 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:07

Uhmm what’s illegal about nicotine?

I think he's talking about having a livery for a product that contains nicotine.    My guess would be the ban was on tobacco products and not nicotine products per se.  Sounds like a loophole that may soon be closed.

#67 jwill189

jwill189

• 1,443 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:14

Nothing good can come from this if Alonso is several tenths quicker.  It will be like 2013 and 2014 all over again.

#68 loki

loki

• 5,495 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:16

You guys will likely get more charging stations soon.  In the western US we're pretty good.  Not good enough to go that far in a Nissan Leaf but plenty good for a Tesla.  Once you get more toward the mid west it drops pretty substantially but you could still do a Tesla pretty easily.  It's all automatic (on the Tesla) and will tell you when and where to charge.

#69 SennasCat

SennasCat

• 1,282 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:44

Nothing good can come from this if Alonso is several tenths quicker.  It will be like 2013 and 2014 all over again.

Only if it's by 0.6 sec.

#70 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:43

Easy solution, don't let him be faster than the official drivers,crisis averted.

#71 Owen

Owen

• 12,840 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 14:19

Andrew Benson:

McLaren's new F1 managing director, Andreas Seidl, is at the Bahrain Grand Prix. Seidl is officially here as a guest of the Crown Prince of Bahrain and not working with McLaren, where he starts work on 1 May

#72 Burai

Burai

• 1,426 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 15:23

Andrew Benson:

"Hi Zak, this is Andreas. He's on a super-exclusive VIP tour. We'll just leave him here on your pitwall with a headset for the rest of the weekend if that's OK with you? It is? Super. And you've already got his complimentary team shirt ready I see. However did you know he's a size M?"

#73 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,071 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 15:26

Just making sure they stick to the letter of the gardening leave portion of his contract with Porsche, if not the spirit...

#74 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,346 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 19:27

You guys will likely get more charging stations soon.  In the western US we're pretty good.  Not good enough to go that far in a Nissan Leaf but plenty good for a Tesla.  Once you get more toward the mid west it drops pretty substantially but you could still do a Tesla pretty easily.  It's all automatic (on the Tesla) and will tell you when and where to charge.

Yeah the post I replied to was about Europe in less blessed areas of which there are many, but a normal car user nevertheless wants to be able to go to (and back) without headaches. Anyway, I already said it may change soon, but the point was that "only problem was Brno to Austria" is not yet good enough. and Brno - Austria is one of the better supported areas as it is close to Vienna.

(Edit: Not to forget though, it may change soon for the number of EVs that currently need to power up. Unless charging goes as fast as filling a gas tank it's a long way to go before the infrastructure can cope with a large scale switch to EVs)

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 29 March 2019 - 20:51.

#75 mp4x

mp4x

• 308 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 18:17

A little bit of clarification from Zak:

Andreas Seidl is going to be responsible for running the Formula One team, full stop, so he’s the boss and will ultimately be responsible for the performance. James Key is the technical director and will ultimately be responsible along with many people for producing a fast race car and then Gil de Ferran will remain in the role that he’s been working with me in as sporting director, which is looking over a variety of McLaren Racing programmes and he’s done a great job, kind of jumping in as we’ve been in transition and so when Andreas gets settled into that, you’ll see Gil go more to the role that he was intended to do when we brought him on in the middle of last year.

#76 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 139 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 22:51

How is this even legal?

F1 is losing its ways again.

Refined sugar is also highly addictive and cause for most deformations, health problems and outright deaths of people of all ages, even in the first world.
Children without adult supervision can purchase straight up refined sugar or ANY product containing it (as long as not tobacco or alcohol, around the world.
"Energy drinks" most obviously are the new smoking. 

Many people contest that refined sugar is addictive. Most of them have never lived 24 hours without it, let alone abstain for a week. 

#77 as65p

as65p

• 21,794 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:03

Many people contest that refined sugar is addictive. Most of them have never lived 24 hours without it, let alone abstain for a week. 

Yet there is still stuff that's even worse, which invariably kills people trying to withdraw. Despite the scientific evidence being known for a long time, it's still legal all over the world. :mad:

#78 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,748 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:18

F1 is losing its ways again.

Refined sugar is also highly addictive and cause for most deformations, health problems and outright deaths of people of all ages, even in the first world.
Children without adult supervision can purchase straight up refined sugar or ANY product containing it (as long as not tobacco or alcohol, around the world.
"Energy drinks" most obviously are the new smoking. 

Law is written in words, which means as long as you obey to the words, then that is fine.

I mean, hey, the teams do sport on the racing reg's...

Getting more and more excited about these people who we all are waiting for being in one boat. 

Machinery is one thing, that McLaren had done a decent job this year, now the human side of team building!

2010 will be the full attack! (me in full swing)

#79 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 569 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:41

How is this even legal?

Because it is not tobacco. Tobacco advertising is prohibited. Other lawful products containing nicotine may be advertised....for now at least.

I am not a smoker, and barring a brief experiment aged 13 I never have been. But what i have noticed with regard to vaping is a LOT of my smokey friends have given up tobacco and seem much better for it. Vape juice certainly does not contain the tar and myriad other substances that the anti-tobacco groups complain so much about. After all, it is not the nicotine in cigarettes which is the biggest villain in causing cancer and heart disease but the tar and other noxious substances. Yes, nicotine is an addictive poison.....so too is caffeine. Now I accept we need more research into the dangers and relative safety of vaping but thus far the evidence points to it being a lot less dangerous to health than smoking tobacco. 

Anyway....with regards to F1 sponsorship it's legal until some bureaucrat decides to ban it.

Advertisement

#80 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,957 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 19:15

Already impressed with Mr.Norris.
I may become a fan...
Jp

#81 BRG

BRG

• 16,626 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 20:08

Already impressed with Mr.Norris.
I may become a fan...
Jp

He is starting to look like the real deal.  The team  must be so pleased and invigorated to have a rookie driver who actually tries hard all the time after two years of the dozy Vandoorne.

#82 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 569 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 20:23

Very impressed with Norris so far.

#83 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,957 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 20:31

I sense a Love-in
Jp

#84 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,096 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 20:38

I would love a clean weekend to properly judge both drivers, because to me it looks like Sainz is a couple of tenths faster than Norris right now.

#85 Touchdown

Touchdown

• 67 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 20:39

I was actually amazed when people started slagging Lando off as average on the back of his F2 season - his career had been absolutely stellar up until that point, and it wasn't exactly that bad - it just wasn't as good as George Russell's.

Thus, I'm not that surprised at how well he's adapted to F1.

#86 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,654 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 20:48

Yet there is still stuff that's even worse, which invariably kills people trying to withdraw. Despite the scientific evidence being known for a long time, it's still legal all over the world. :mad:

Damn that di-hydrogen monoxide, it's nasty stuff. It the second biggest killer of young people in the US these days. It should be banned. 

#87 Dicun

Dicun

• 512 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 20:49

Guys, could anyone help me?

Does anyone have a good quality picture of Lando's racing number in the MCL34 font style? I mean something like this in a higher resolution, but with his number (and preferably an orange background):

v2_large_0ade9627469d7509dcbbec55c09f681

I can't seem to find it anywhere.

#88 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,748 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:30

Sorry, donno about it.

BTW 

I am sure Norris knows in and outs of car maneuver during the racing, but the yesterday's race, was it peculiar to F1?

Noris was behind the Kimi's wobbling car, suck there and cornered in with RIC for corners.

Lando was bumped by RiC and sed to the escape, who else could he maneuver at the point?

#89 tormave

tormave

• 1,527 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:57

Why is Alonso back? The car is going great, why let him anywhere near it?

#90 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,280 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:06

I'm quickly becoming a fan of Lando Norris. To be running in 17th place midway through lap 1 and finishing 6th in your 2nd Grand Prix with such a competitive field, is a heck of a performance in my book. He was consistent in F2 and that will pay dividends in F1. Plenty of quick drivers just make too many mistakes/poor decisions and end up with a load of coulda woulda shoulda to moan about. Norris had his qualifying hampered by Vettel/Grosjean and first lap by a general midfield warzone, yet he navigated his way through all that like an old head on young shoulders. Very impressed. 

#91 Pentecost

Pentecost

• 114 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:26

It’s so funny that some of you are using Norris’ performance (McLaren’s improved performance, in reality) to kick Vandoorne down some more. The quality of a car, and feeling comfortable and confident in that car, makes all the difference. I’d give my left nut to see Vandoorne race in McLaren’s current car, racing against either Norris or Sainz. The perception of Vandoorne’s skills is completely destroyed by the car McLaren delivered in those two years. Vandoorne showed so much more in GP2 than Norris did in F2. Of course there’s much more to it, but either way, Vandoorne redefined “being in the wrong place at the wrong time”. The fact Alonso has really been his only measure stick he’s ever been up against in F1, only makes it worse. There’s no WAY that guys like Giovinazzi, Kvyat, Gasly and (the nowadays) Kubica should be in F1 instead of Stoffel.

If you just look at the statistics only, you could say that he’s had his chance and blew it, yeah. But then you’re ignoring all influencing factors. Of course, the common F1 fanatic will not care about much beyond those statistics, and make his judgement.

#92 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,198 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:36

The biggest mistake young drivers do in f1 is to try and be too aggressive and overdrive the car. Lando has shown remarkable composure for a 19 year old. When under pump from Kimi Lando was cool despite having issues with brakes towards the end of the race. His overtake of Gasly was incredible. His start today wasn't bad, he just got shut off his entry in to Turn1 and then got tagged later by Ricciardo. For a 19 year old Rookie, barely two races and people are disappointed with 6th, that shows the high bar he has set for himself already. People think he is capable of much more and i agree but he  needs to be given time.Sainz looks quick and has been incredibly unlucky so far. He is only 24 and Mclaren have a sorted out lineup for many years to come imho.

#93 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,280 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:52

It’s so funny that some of you are using Norris’ performance (McLaren’s improved performance, in reality) to kick Vandoorne down some more. The quality of a car, and feeling comfortable and confident in that car, makes all the difference. I’d give my left nut to see Vandoorne race in McLaren’s current car, racing against either Norris or Sainz. The perception of Vandoorne’s skills is completely destroyed by the car McLaren delivered in those two years. Vandoorne showed so much more in GP2 than Norris did in F2. Of course there’s much more to it, but either way, Vandoorne redefined “being in the wrong place at the wrong time”. The fact Alonso has really been his only measure stick he’s ever been up against in F1, only makes it worse. There’s no WAY that guys like Giovinazzi, Kvyat, Gasly and (the nowadays) Kubica should be in F1 instead of Stoffel.

If you just look at the statistics only, you could say that he’s had his chance and blew it, yeah. But then you’re ignoring all influencing factors. Of course, the common F1 fanatic will not care about much beyond those statistics, and make his judgement.

I wasn't thinking about Vandoorne at all when I made my comments about Lando, since that ship has sailed. But thanks to you now that I am, let me say I beleive that Lando may have the x factor, time will tell, but Vandoorne certainly does not, in my opinion. He had 42 races to show something, anything, he didn't. That's why he's not got the chance to show it now. Perhaps its the Stoffel fanatic who are the ones letting emotion get in the way of reason... 

#94 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,280 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:55

The biggest mistake young drivers do in f1 is to try and be too aggressive and overdrive the car. Lando has shown remarkable composure for a 19 year old. When under pump from Kimi Lando was cool despite having issues with brakes towards the end of the race. His overtake of Gasly was incredible. His start today wasn't bad, he just got shut off his entry in to Turn1 and then got tagged later by Ricciardo. For a 19 year old Rookie, barely two races and people are disappointed with 6th, that shows the high bar he has set for himself already. People think he is capable of much more and i agree but he  needs to be given time.Sainz looks quick and has been incredibly unlucky so far. He is only 24 and Mclaren have a sorted out lineup for many years to come imho.

I don't think Sainz was unlucky in Bahrain, his choice to fight Verstappen that hard, there and then. He could probably have sailed past him on the main straight. Credit for the aggression, but its not unlucky. It's a probable consequence. 

#95 pivaro

pivaro

• 41 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:58

Thanks Pentecost , as a Stoffelfan it’s very hard to read these comments , i bet those people will call Russel a dozy driver in a few weeks too .
In before somebody refers to his FE results : he’s basically in the same situation as he was in F1 , a new team , struggling to find some competivity .
In his defense , i will say this and i know i will get slaughtered for it : it’s my firm believe there is nothing Stoffel can not do as good or even better than the two current Mclarendrivers .
I’m still rooting for the team , but it’s with a bitter taste , thinking of what might have been if Stoffel would have started his career in this car .

#96 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,280 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 14:51

^ It's really OT seeing as Stoffel is not a McLaren driver anymore. I think with Button and Alonso McLaren could have finished 3rd and 4th in Bahrain without the SC... but then again if my Auntie had balls...

#97 jwill189

jwill189

• 1,443 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 14:52

^ It's really OT seeing as Stoffel is not a McLaren driver anymore. I think with Button and Alonso McLaren could have finished 3rd and 4th in Bahrain without the SC... but then again if my Auntie had balls...

Well, only one of them could have finished high in the points because Sainz' transmission failed.

#98 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 2,044 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:45

So Lando Norris is basically Nico Rosberg without golden hair.

Thoughts?

#99 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,280 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:28

So Lando Norris is basically Nico Rosberg without golden hair.

Thoughts?

Not sure what you mean by that.

Advertisement

#100 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,383 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:36

Guys, could anyone help me?

Does anyone have a good quality picture of Lando's racing number in the MCL34 font style? I mean something like this in a higher resolution, but with his number (and preferably an orange background):

v2_large_0ade9627469d7509dcbbec55c09f681

I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I think you could easily build any number like these with MS Paint, they are made out of adjacent equilateral triangles.

Edited by DeKnyff, 02 April 2019 - 10:07.