Photo
- - - - -

2019 Australian GP Race Thread: We have hardly even started so it ain't over

• Please log in to reply
1055 replies to this topic

Poll: Round One: Austalia GP (164 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the first race of the F1 season?

1. Lewis Hamilton (74 votes [45.12%])

Percentage of vote: 45.12%

2. Valtteri Bottas (59 votes [35.98%])

Percentage of vote: 35.98%

3. Sebastian Vettel (8 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

4. Max Verstappen (6 votes [3.66%])

Percentage of vote: 3.66%

5. Charles Leclerc (8 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

6. Romain Grosjean (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Kevin Magnussen (1 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

8. Lando Norris (2 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

9. Kimi Raikkonen (4 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

10. Sergio Perez (0 votes [0.00%])

11. A Renault driver (0 votes [0.00%])

12. A Toro Rosso driver (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Other (2 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

How optimistic/pessimistic are you? Is the Season Over?

1. Yes (74 votes [45.12%])

Percentage of vote: 45.12%

2. No (90 votes [54.88%])

Percentage of vote: 54.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:12

Well, well, well the champion Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes surprised most people by destroying the rest of the field in qualifying and we should say a massive well done to everyone at Mercedes for making another incredible car. Despite the regulation changes they seem to have built something special.

image.jpg
bbd40769-5a14-4d51-ae84-879d7c757ef3.png

It has caused this forum to go.... "see you in 2020" "give Merc the championship" "season is over". Hang on. We've not even had the first race yet, just be patient. Merc might not have an advantage over a race distance, they may have tyre troubles, they may have a bad setup for the Grand Prix, Ferrari might be more of a threat in the race, there's still a lot of unknowns.

On Ferrari: It's a bit like having one of the best football teams lose their first match of the season pretty badly. 

But that does not mean you should rule them out just because they lost their first match. Same goes for Ferrari. 

Wait until after the race to see if there is a big deficit or not (even better, wait until after Bahrain and China to see if Melbourne is not an anomaly) 

pirelli-australia-pr-2.JPG

image.png

DRS Mario Kart flap is bigger, more overtaking? Albert Park is probably 4th or 5th hardest track to overtake on so reserve your judgement until after a few races... please  :D

If we do see lots of good overtaking and racing tomorrow, then these new changes have worked. If they work here they will work anywhere else (apart from Monaco).

D1xn5ekX4AAf3sa.jpg

One Stop, Soft then Medium - Doubt we will see the Hard tyres.

Watch out for a SC or VSC which could play a role.

8th Pole Position in Australia in an F1 car

Comparison

Click the video title to watch the videos can ONLY watch on the YouTube

After all the negativity, how great is it that the midfield is super tight. The drivers are making vital differences, one bad sector and you drop 10 places. Haas lead it at the moment but not by much and the whole field has tightened up (apart from Williams).

2t8VPZH.png

So it is not over, because it has not even started. This is F1, we have seen teams with a big advantage in the very first qualifying before over the years so lets not give up hope yet. Look for the positives. We could have a very different perspective of things after the race. 

And finally...

D1mgdIIXQAAUyxd.jpg

Lets race for Charlie, an incredible man who has done so much for F1, F2 and more. Lets celebrate his life by have a great race which he would have been a part of. R.I.P Charlie Whiting. 

:)

Edited by f1paul, 16 March 2019 - 21:28.

Advertisement

#2 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:16

Race starts in 7 Hours 55 Minutes

Race%20start%20times_AUS.jpg

Edited by f1paul, 16 March 2019 - 21:23.

#3 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:20

Hamilton victory, but I suspect we're going to have an almighty scrap for the podium. Max will be lightning from the start.

#4 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:22

I love the Australian GP so much.

The big build up, the fly-past, the 'beginning of term' feeling, the way the colours all look so vivid on the opening lap as the cars jink across to the left one by one on approach to turn five, the fact it can sometimes throw up surprise after surprise until you have no idea what's going to happen. All the new cars in their new colour schemes, rookie drivers on their debuts, new team/engine combos, sometimes entirely new teams.

I mean, qualifying this morning was s.h.i.t. really. Status quo, Mercedes dominance, Williams trundling round like a couple of Nissan Micras. But this is Albert Park! Have faith!!

#5 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:25

Gonna grab a few hours now, alarm set for 3.15 Go Lewis!

Edited by milestone 11, 16 March 2019 - 21:26.

#6 Neno

Neno

• 2,383 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:27

For me season ended yesterday. Whoever stay watching this crap is either Hamilton fan or Mercedes fan. Question for same fans, doesnt it get boring for you after 6 years or you still jump and cry on underdog Hamilton-Merc stories?

Edited by Neno, 16 March 2019 - 21:29.

#7 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:29

Max will be the story of this race!

#8 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:29

For me season ended yesterday. Whoever stay watching this crap is either Hamilton fan or Mercedes fan. Doesnt it get boring for you after 6 years or you still jump and cry on underdog Hamilton-Merc stories last half a decade?

Or they just see things with a glass half full and aren't judging things just on one qualifying session when the points are on Sunday not Saturday. 

#9 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:31

This is one of those races where there's a good chance that it'll be a **** show, so I'm not writing it off yet.

Edited by MikeV1987, 16 March 2019 - 21:32.

#10 JonnyJ

JonnyJ

• 1,319 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:31

Lots of rookies on the grid, street circuit, wide FWs, 1st race. If there isn't a VSC/SC I'll eat my hat.

#11 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:32

For me season ended yesterday. Whoever stay watching this crap is either Hamilton fan or Mercedes fan. Question for same fans, doesnt it get boring for you after 6 years or you still jump and cry on underdog Hamilton-Merc stories?

Goodbye then. For me F1 is more than just who wins. There are 20 cars and many stories.

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,217 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:32

My Autosport fantasy team is dead last.
Boo hoo

Jp

#13 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:33

Lots of rookies on the grid, street circuit, wide FWs, 1st race. If there isn't a VSC/SC I'll eat my hat.

Does your hat look like this? 

1477495055-64773100.jpg

;) 

#14 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:33

Rule of thumb on this forum is that whenever there is a *huge* overreaction people are getting dragged back to earth the next day, so I go with Hamilton running into one of his traditional Melbourne dramas.

If he doesnt then the F1 online communities will be rather painful to read the upcoming two weeks D:

#15 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:36

I was pretty depressed with it all after qualifying but that's too far. Don't watch it, then. Easy.

#16 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,679 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 21:41

When the flag drops, the BS stops!

#17 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:08

Rule of thumb on this forum is that whenever there is a *huge* overreaction people are getting dragged back to earth the next day, so I go with Hamilton running into one of his traditional Melbourne dramas.

If he doesnt then the F1 online communities will be rather painful to read the upcoming two weeks D:

The people who moan the most will watch regardless. And if they don't, F1 will continue regardless. It's just attention seeking pain relief from those who only care who wins. F1 fans like a good kneejerk meltdown. I save all mine for the actual races. :)

I'd grant them that if this year turns out like 2015 (of which I remember next to nothing!) then it will be a boring season. But I seriously doubt Ferrari are only 0.6s ahead of Haas, that Red Bull and Honda won't improve, or that Williams will remain adrift at the back (ok, that's more hope). All the repetitive OTT "F1 is doomed, I'm going to watch something else" wasn't even original back in 2001!

#18 PedroDiCasttro

PedroDiCasttro

• 2,633 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:10

Ferrari won't make it to the podium. Max will clinch 3rd place.

#19 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:14

I just noticed the new Bottas helmet - looks unique much like Ricardo's

Advertisement

#20 CL16

CL16

• 1,302 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:16

I just noticed the new Bottas helmet - looks unique much like Ricardo's

Has he changed it for the race?

Because the helmet posted in the OP was used all last season too.

#21 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:18

Max will be the story of this race!

Yep. he will kamikaze on the first corner and take everyone else out and Kubica will win the race!

#22 tourister46a

tourister46a

• 711 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:18

I hope you stop watching then. Why even stay in these forums? I wanted Mercedes to be overhauled this year but will still be watching for all the stories and battles all over the grid.

#23 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 1,258 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:19

See you next year then because you'd be the biggest hypocrite to continue watching or posting here.  

#24 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:28

My friend Amy has put it much better than I ever could:

#25 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 22:43

Voted Lewis and yes it's over before it starts.

#26 FLB

FLB

• 29,683 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 23:05

Voted Lewis and it's NOT over before it starts.

#27 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 23:07

Voted Lando 😎
Sleep deprived sunday ahead, i'm ready!

#28 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,679 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:17

Do we think it is ok for a Haas to block the Red Bulls but let the Ferrari's past easily?

Is there any rule preventing Ferrari from taking advantage of that? Haas isn't going to want to step on Ferrari's toes due to the relationship. In fact, they might see it as helping Ferrari.

Same story for Alfa Romeo.

Is it really ok that Ferrari have two other teams on the grid that will most likely bend over backwards on the track for them?  Is this a problem in the sport that one team has so much ability to influence it's direct competitors?

Edited by ARTGP, 17 March 2019 - 00:19.

#29 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:26

Mercedes gave Force India team orders last year and nothing was done so... don't count on it.

:cool:

#30 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:29

Voted Lewis and yes it's over before it starts.

What do you think is Lewis pole conversion rate in Melbourne? 

#31 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:35

Do we think it is ok for a Haas to block the Red Bulls but let the Ferrari's past easily?

Is there any rule preventing Ferrari from taking advantage of that? Haas isn't going to want to step on Ferrari's toes due to the relationship. In fact, they might see it as helping Ferrari.

Is it really ok that Ferrari have two other teams on the grid that will most likely bend over backwards on the track for them? Is this a problem in the sport that one team has so much ability to influence it's direct competitors?

You mean like Red Bull has had Toro Rosso for more than 10yrs now?
Is it a problem now that Ferrari is doing it?

Let’s prevent all sort of conflicts of interest while we’re at it. Like prevent teams running an engine from a manufacturer team and drivers belonging to a manufacturer team running for another team. All of these can affect a race result, being a junior driver trying to position himself with the big team or a team trying to get either a discount or a better deal on PUs from the manufacturer.

#32 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:39

Is it really ok that Ferrari have two other teams on the grid that will most likely bend over backwards on the track for them?  Is this a problem in the sport that one team has so much ability to influence it's direct competitors?

A little early for this. It is potentially a big problem. But Red Bull could simply use Toro Rosso to retaliate when given the chance, so maybe it's not the wisest thing to do. The more you do it, the more it will backfire. 

What is problematic is that Ferrari has two satellite teams (while others have 1 or zero), and that those satellite teams are very capable. It would be one thing if it was Williams. But having both Haas and Alfa certainly is a big advantage over the rest of the field - provided they act in the way you describe it.

#33 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:39

Williams will be +3Laps at the flag

#34 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,087 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:40

I honestly haven’t a clue. If it does transpire to be a season just like 2017 and 2018 then I can’t imagine myself watching past the summer break. I will watch in hope that something interesting happens.

#35 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 7,257 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 00:50

"The pole-sitter has only won one of the last seven races in Melbourne."

Interesting, huh? 

Edited by beachdrifter, 17 March 2019 - 00:50.

#36 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:34

Will this be your last comment regarding F! this years then  ?

#37 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,084 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:36

Does anyone have any idea how I can watch this from costa rica? UK sky go is gridlocked, I can't buy f1 tv as I'm UK based.... I do have fox sports 3 in the hotel currently showing imsa and had we'd last night... hoping it's on after

#38 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,679 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:38

You mean like Red Bull has had Toro Rosso for more than 10yrs now?
Is it a problem now that Ferrari is doing it?

Let’s prevent all sort of conflicts of interest while we’re at it. Like prevent teams running an engine from a manufacturer team and drivers belonging to a manufacturer team running for another team. All of these can affect a race result, being a junior driver trying to position himself with the big team or a team trying to get either a discount or a better deal on PUs from the manufacturer.

Sorry I know I wasn't super clear before and it wasn't supposed to be confrontational...I didn't mean to single out Ferrari. Yes Red Bull are guilty and Mercedes are guilty too.

So it IS a problem for a team like Mclaren or Renault or Williams who don't have B-teams to fight unfairly with the Ferrari,Red Bull, Merc B-teams....

You add some good points. Giovinazzi will not be doing anything to get in the way of a Ferrari this season but he will certainly be very wide for a Mercedes or Red Bull.

Aren't these problems? Do you think there are ways to avoid them?  Certainly wouldn't the most obvious abuse of it be avoided if B-teams went away.

B-Teams will never win in Formula 1. So why do they even exist? Toro Rosso won't be allowed to beat Red Bull.  Alfa and Haas won't be allowed to beat Ferrari. Why are they even on the grid then if they aren't allowed to contribute to the championship battle other than for politics and to game the sport as Cyril said?

I've heard Toto and Binotto go on about how the "B-team" trend allows new entries to the sport. But wouldn't a proper cost cap, some decent engine rules bring back the likes of VW AG, BMW, and an American make?

EDIT: Maybe this is a bit off topic discussion. I will find somewhere else to put it.

Edited by ARTGP, 17 March 2019 - 02:02.

#39 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,332 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:19

Interesting, huh? 

When I look at the circuit, I don't see any particular reason for that statistic. It's not like Spa or similar tracks where P2 can be an advantage to get the slip stream and pass pole sitter. So then it could just be an outlier statistic that will balance given enough time. Though the funny thing about statistics is that past results do not influence future ones.

Advertisement

#40 Neno

Neno

• 2,383 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:27

Will this be your last comment regarding F! this years then  ?

Hope so. Most likely, surely on Grand Prix threads. Unless someone starts quoting me. It would be rude not to answer. 

Edited by Neno, 17 March 2019 - 02:27.

#41 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:27

Damn I wish Webber was on the sky F1 broadcast team he can virtually get access to anyone in the paddock and actually knows what he is talking about. It was great seeing his all access to the Renault garage and even being able to get inside the bollards closer to the Ferrari pit and run us through a few items too. They just showed all his access passes including 12 VIP passes. 😆

Edited by gowebber, 17 March 2019 - 02:29.

#42 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:03

giphy.gif

#43 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:08

Predictions on pecking order after the first lap?

#44 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:17

Any grid penalties or do the qualifying results stand?

#45 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:40

When did this happen??? 

#46 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,679 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:41

Prerace festivities streaming live on Formula 1 Youtube!

https://www.youtube....h?v=jMyZbz_mm5I

Edited by ARTGP, 17 March 2019 - 03:42.

#47 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:46

My body is ready

Edited by Kvothe, 17 March 2019 - 03:46.

#48 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,679 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:46

When did this happen??? 

I didn't say it happened. I'm saying Haas are looking to be best of the rest and quite quick at that. To the point that if Red Bulls are pitting and the Haas runs long, then we could see a Red Bull having to fight past the Haas. Whereas the Ferrari will not have to fight.  

#49 Docc

Docc

• 615 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:51

Let's get it on...

Watched a lot of Sebring..Caddy's dominate.

Got my beer..homemade green chili salsa..nice tortilla chips.. Now how about a decent race..dammit//

Edited by Docc, 17 March 2019 - 03:53.

#50 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,320 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:57

Predictions on pecking order after the first lap?

I will take the easiest route, at the end of the first lap, the pecking order will be as they line up on the grid. 

Buuuuuuuuut, the car dimensions are different, turn one can be carnage central and crashjohn is close enough to the front to mess up everyone on the grids race.