McLaren Technical Thread (MCL34) Part 2

• Please log in to reply
4692 replies to this topic

#51 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,940 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:29

The order seems to me

Merc > RB (Max) > Ferrari > Haas > ( then a single car from each team ) RB(Gas) STR RP McLaren and Alfa all in bunch.

Sainz7s car should be in the bunch or even mixed with Haas!

Edited by kumo7, 17 March 2019 - 06:42.

Advertisement

#52 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,340 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:31

The order seems to me

Merc > RB > Ferrari > Haas > ( then a single car from each team ) > STR RP McLaren and Alfa all in bunch.

Sainz7s car should be in the bunch or even mixed with Haas!

McLaren right now seems to be the slowest car on the grid apart from Willliams. Thats how slow Norris is.

#53 ERICTOPF1

ERICTOPF1

• 715 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:32

I won't judge the race pace of the car until I see what Carlos does with it

At Mclaren's site they keep telling him to push the tyres because if they get cool he cannot get the lap times.

Maybe that is the issue that he cannot keep them warm

Edited by ERICTOPF1, 17 March 2019 - 06:36.

#54 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,340 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:33

Why is Norris so slow? He is lapping 1.32s. WTF.

#55 keshav

keshav

• 1,359 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:35

38s off that group.

Edited by keshav, 17 March 2019 - 06:41.

#56 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,940 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:41

Let us keep calm, Norris ended on 12th. 

#57 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,793 posts

That was a bad race, no points and maybe an engine damaged.

#58 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,340 posts

Let us keep calm, Norris ended on 12th. 

That's coz of the huge overtake delta. He would have finished dead last (apart from Williams) with the pace he had if this was China or Bahrain.  :down:

#59 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,940 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:42

That's coz of the huge overtake delta. He would have finished dead last (apart from Williams) with the pace he had if this was China or Bahrain.  :down:

Well I agree, but the results says otherwise...  :up:

Advertisement

#60 CPR

CPR

• 5,057 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:43

Well, that's not what we wanted. Hope we get a proper reason why Lando's pace dropped off so much. Was fine initially on the hard and was making good time but once it was clear we were stuck in 12th the pace just seemed to drop off. So my best guess is that they conserved the engine due to worries about the MGU-K.

#61 propercare

propercare

• 84 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:45

That's coz of the huge overtake delta. He would have finished dead last (apart from Williams) with the pace he had if this was China or Bahrain. :down:

You did watch the first part of the race and the struggle with Alfa?

#62 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,340 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:47

Lol. Did you even check the lap times when he was in free air?

#63 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:49

Yeah that pace was a worry, has to be either the hard tyres or engine conservation (Or a bit of both of course) you would think but without Carlos there to compare it's hard to say. 

#64 dierome87

dierome87

• 443 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:50

Well, looks like the Honda engine has finally become good...  I always thought it was a mistake to drop them :(

#65 keshav

keshav

• 1,359 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:51

Well, looks like the Honda engine has finally become good... I always thought it was a mistake to drop them :(

Somewhere I feel its wasn’t the engine. Specially after this race.

We should have been up there with the Hulk. We were the slowest.

#66 BertoC

BertoC

• 564 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:52

Lando was loosing time straight from lap 1, of course he gave up after the Gio block, but he was never on pace with the guys in front, ever. We are only in front of Williams, lets face facts and not search for vapid excuses.

#67 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,608 posts

Giovinazzi ruined his race. Maybe you could say McLaren should have accounted for that when they pitted Lando, but he was on for 9th without the other Alfa simply staying out to help protect Kimi...

#68 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 817 posts

Well, looks like the Honda engine has finally become good...  I always thought it was a mistake to drop them :(

The Red Bull would have been third with the Renault Engine, the issue is not the engine, they need to do a better job with the car.

#69 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 864 posts

Lando's pace was fine until pit. Then he put on hard tires (presume there weren't any mediums left) and then he run into AR. His tires were ruined and it was over.

#70 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 594 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:53

Well, looks like the Honda engine has finally become good... I always thought it was a mistake to drop them :(

Me too, but now I think it was for the best. Honda would not have the freedom they had in 2018 to develop the engine like they did with TR, and McLaren would not do the restructuring they are doing now.

#71 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,608 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:54

The swingometer is back the other way I see... Quit all the hyperbole and look at the race rationally. Lando's pace was okay up to the first stop, then Giovinazzi happened and with it being Lando's first race some caution was expected, but Giovinazzi did pull some dodgy moves defending too. Ultimately the tyres were used up early in that pursuit and it cost him later.

#72 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,608 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:55

The Red Bull would have been third with the Renault Engine, the issue is not the engine, they need to do a better job with the car.

Agree, all the engines seem to be a lot closer this year, no-one seemed a sitting duck on the straights.

#73 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 817 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:56

The swingometer is back the other way I see... Quit all the hyperbole and look at the race rationally. Lando's pace was okay up to the first stop, then Giovinazzi happened and with it being Lando's first race some caution was expected, but Giovinazzi did pull some dodgy moves defending too. Ultimately the tyres were used up early in that pursuit and it cost him later.

The guys coming here are RB/Honda fans that are gloating. We need the car to be developed and for Renault to be more reliable.

#74 McLobby

McLobby

• 1,016 posts

Lando's pace was fine until pit. Then he put on hard tires (presume there weren't any mediums left) and then he run into AR. His tires were ruined and it was over.

Didn't look fine to me... From the start of the race he was falling behind, but Sanz looked good before the breakdown.

#75 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,940 posts

Lando is a rookie, he needs a few more races. 

Let us not kill him, yet. I think he did better than Gas.

Well I want to know what has happened to the Sainz's car. 

Was the smoke from MGUK?

Edited by kumo7, 17 March 2019 - 06:58.

#76 Nobody

Nobody

• 2,008 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:58

Getting stuck behind GIO ruined Lando's race, but the Sainz failure was a bigger disappointment.

Would think they went conservative for the 2nd part of the race esp with Lando's lack of experience.

#77 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 817 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:58

Didn't look fine to me... From the start of the race he was falling behind, but Sanz looked good before the breakdown.

This is his first race, he will grow with experience. 

#78 RonsBurgundy

RonsBurgundy

• 60 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:03

And so the prophecy came to pass

.51YTM97YTXL.jpg

#79 Outsider

Outsider

• 591 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:05

Norris just had the best qualy result in recent years, he had decent start and kept out of trouble (not seeing any massive mistakes) for whole race. it's pretty good for a rookie. and some of you are already calling Vandoorne back...

Advertisement

#80 Raikkinen

Raikkinen

• 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:09

Despite the result I am quite positive about McLaren. Lando's start wasn't the best and he should work on that, but I have the impression we are easy in the mix with the frontrunners of the midfield.
Pretty pissed about GIO ruining Lando's race with no other goal than making Kimi's life easier even at cost of his own race. But I guess that's part of the game.
Lando seemed to have no problem keeping other cars behind him and only ended up behind STR, GAS and KVY because they made pit stops when GIO was acting as a road block. In hindsight it would have been preferable to put later, but until then he was full in the mix.
Carlos was making good progress after the start and was looking more forward than in his mirrors.
All in all I have a very positive feeling about McLaren in 2019 and especially about our rookie driver.
I know it's a dangerous word in this thread, but for the first time in years I see a lot of potential. And Seidl and Key even still to come.

#81 keshav

keshav

• 1,359 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:09

Norris just had the best qualy result in recent years, he had decent start and kept out of trouble (not seeing any massive mistakes) for whole race. it's pretty good for a rookie. and some of you are already calling Vandoorne back...

Yes but his race pace was absolutely dreadful to be honest.

#82 SarbaV

SarbaV

• 306 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:13

I wanted to drop Honda convinced they were holding McLaren down. Today they have proven the McLaren was holding them back. Hats off to them for overcoming all the hate.

#83 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,705 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:14

And great work aussie marshals for waiting soooo long to attend crlos car👎🏻

Edited by f1rules, 17 March 2019 - 07:15.

#84 Bliman

Bliman

• 1,276 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:15

And so the prophecy came to pass

.51YTM97YTXL.jpg

that's pretty childish. And he doesn't deserve that. There were hardly any overtakes the whole race so he was stuck behind Giovinazzi for a long time. He did very good for his first Gp. Mclaren has taken a slight step forwards it seems. Sadly they will be missing Alonso.

#85 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,340 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:15

Despite the result I am quite positive about McLaren. Lando's start wasn't the best and he should work on that, but I have the impression we are easy in the mix with the frontrunners of the midfield.
Pretty pissed about GIO ruining Lando's race with no other goal than making Kimi's life easier even at cost of his own race. But I guess that's part of the game.
Lando seemed to have no problem keeping other cars behind him and only ended up behind STR, GAS and KVY because they made pit stops when GIO was acting as a road block. In hindsight it would have been preferable to put later, but until then he was full in the mix.
Carlos was making good progress after the start and was looking more forward than in his mirrors.
All in all I have a very positive feeling about McLaren in 2019 and especially about our rookie driver.
I know it's a dangerous word in this thread, but for the first time in years I see a lot of potential. And Seidl and Key even still to come.

Really? Lol Kvyat kept a RBR behind.

#86 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 10,067 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:16

Giovinazzi ruined his race. Maybe you could say McLaren should have accounted for that when they pitted Lando, but he was on for 9th without the other Alfa simply staying out to help protect Kimi...

Stupid strategy to pit so early. Look at Bottas & Verstappen vs Hamilton & Vettel.

#87 Ben1980

Ben1980

• 30 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:17

Unfortunate for Carlos. Annoying for Lando. Was running fine until the pit stop and then got stuck behind the alfa staying out to hold him up on a hard to pass track. The drop off from when he was 3 secs behind Kvyatt after he went off was pretty severe though, hopefully just a way of shutting things down. In general the race was, ad usual in Australia, pretty dull.

#88 lixlax

lixlax

• 225 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:21

A weekend to forget result wise, but the pace is there or thereabout (overall I'm actually happy). Any info why Lando was so slow in the second half of the race? I think Perez was catching him for like 2s a lap at some point.

And we'll need to see more of Sainz to judge the car better.

Edited by lixlax, 17 March 2019 - 07:23.

#89 loki0420

loki0420

• 934 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:22

Why you are so obsessed with pace after Giovinazzi? It’s not representative at all. I wouldn’t bother to stay near 11th to no avail just for the sake of it either. Prior to that he was there with Rai with no threat from behind. And Carlos was also easily in front of Kvyat/Gasly so another potential top10. Good start i’d say pacewise. More upgrades for Bahrain and lets see how we fare on overtakeable circuit.

Edited by loki0420, 17 March 2019 - 07:24.

#90 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,793 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:23

RB aero and chassis is crazy good, Honda for sure has a better engine now but you put the Honda engine in any midfield team and I don't think they will touch the top 5 ever.

#91 keshav

keshav

• 1,359 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:23

Maybe there was issue with the car. I hope there was. Thats is the only way to explain the performance.

#92 RonsBurgundy

RonsBurgundy

• 60 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:24

that's pretty childish. And he doesn't deserve that. There were hardly any overtakes the whole race so he was stuck behind Giovinazzi for a long time. He did very good for his first Gp. Mclaren has taken a slight step forwards it seems. Sadly they will be missing Alonso.

Yeah, I'm sure there are better times ahead for both drivers soon. Better luck in Bahrain I hope!

#93 PistolPete

PistolPete

• 986 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:33

My hypothesis is that McLaren is simply not that good at integrating the engine into the car. 

#94 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,673 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:33

I wanted to drop Honda convinced they were holding McLaren down. Today they have proven the McLaren was holding them back. Hats off to them for overcoming all the hate.

:up:  :up:

It will be a good battle between McLaren-Renault, Toro Rosso-Honda, Racing Point-Mercedes and Alfa Romeo-Ferrari.  :up:   :)

I think HAAS-Ferrari and Renault are too good, and are out of reach for these other midfield teams so it will be a battle for P6 of WCC.

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 17 March 2019 - 07:36.

#95 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 817 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:35

Lol, what were they able to achieve in the Toro Rosso last year? Red Bull have built a bullet car as usual.

#96 ERICTOPF1

ERICTOPF1

• 715 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:39

Enough with the Honda..

#97 Raikkinen

Raikkinen

• 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:40

Really? Lol Kvyat kept a RBR behind.

Ok,tell me then: by who is Lando overtaken on track? Must be easy to name a few if his pace was really dreadful right?

#98 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 1,884 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:41

Last year Toro Rosso was pretty solid tbf. Lets not kid ourselves, without Alonso last year would have been an utter write off too. 

The fact is whatever engines it is, Mclaren dont have a good enough car as things stand. It has been proven time and time again. 

Right now there should be little panic though, I would say Mclaren is comfortably in that group of midfield cars give and take. Its all down to the development race now. But I really can't see how any team can close up to the top 3 teams in the near future sadly for f1. 

#99 benb53

benb53

• 165 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:43

Honda, why are we talking about Honda?!!! Maybe their engine is up to standard “NOW” but they certainly weren’t when McLaren were using them! I actually think the Renault PU seems very strong, so I think RBR would have been even quicker with it!

The race was fine, the strategy just got ruined by the Alfa. Perez was the only other driver on Hards and for the bulk part of the race Norris had him covered easy. I’m pretty sure Lando either just lost tempt or turned it all down to finish and protect the car in the end.

With the midfield so close, this outcome will likely be a frequent occurrence if you get one long runner and happen to get stuck behind them at the wrong time. Today one McLaren, Haas, Racing point and a STR all got caught out by it, the drivers who stopped later but were off the radar at the start and not in our race simply got lucky!

No need to panic, the car is fine and hopefully with some decent updates it will get better and better.

Advertisement

#100 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,340 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:43

Ok,tell me then: by who is Lando overtaken on track? Must be easy to name a few if his pace was really dreadful right?

Dude thats the point. The overtake delta was so big that even Kvyat could keep a RedBull racing car behind. Cars closer in performance had zero chance to overtake.