* * * * * 3 votes

McLaren Technical Thread (MCL34) Part 2

• Please log in to reply
2088 replies to this topic

#101 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,376 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:45

Somewhere I feel its wasn’t the engine. Specially after this race.

We should have been up there with the Hulk. We were the slowest.

Red Bull with Renault were far better than McLaren Renault. It's not just the engine.

Advertisement

#102 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,966 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:45

I wanted to drop Honda convinced they were holding McLaren down. Today they have proven the McLaren was holding them back. Hats off to them for overcoming all the hate.

Honda's internal bits going boom was holding Honda back for the best part of the relationship - whatever success they have now they deserve through sheer perseverance, not through any failure on McLaren's part

#103 McLobby

McLobby

• 1,016 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:47

No mention of a mechanical issue in Lando's interview,  so I guess that was really his pace.

#104 Raikkinen

Raikkinen

• 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:52

Dude thats the point. The overtake delta was so big that even Kvyat could keep a RedBull racing car behind. Cars closer in performance had zero chance to overtake.

Ah, so our rookie driver with dreadful pace was just lucky that it's completely impossible to overtake in Melbourne?
But the fact that he was only out of the top 10 (9 considering Grosjean) because of GIO, who did everything to give Kimi a getaway at his own expense, is due to his bad driving?
He was keeping up with Kimi, faster than GIO and until the final few laps never under threat of anyone. Even when Perez was in DRS, he managed to keep his position.
I would say a quite impressive debut for a rookie and McLaren looks right on the pace with Renault, not far from Haas.

#105 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,844 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:55

Todays problem was that Alfa Sauber doesn't seem to know what a strategy is

#106 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,954 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:59

Renault and Haas seem to be faster at the moment, but in a normal race, McLaren surely can fight for the points.

Do we know what is salvageable in Sainz PU ?

#107 MrRat

MrRat

• 1,308 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:01

Ah, so our rookie driver with dreadful pace was just lucky that it's completely impossible to overtake in Melbourne?
But the fact that he was only out of the top 10 (9 considering Grosjean) because of GIO, who did everything to give Kimi a getaway at his own expense, is due to his bad driving?
He was keeping up with Kimi, faster than GIO and until the final few laps never under threat of anyone. Even when Perez was in DRS, he managed to keep his position.
I would say a quite impressive debut for a rookie and McLaren looks right on the pace with Renault, not far from Haas.

McLaren  was not on Renault's pace lol.

#108 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,750 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:04

Todays problem was that Alfa Sauber doesn't seem to know what a strategy is

Yup, on my second thoughts, refraining the thought from Raikkonen post #104, I say Alfa knew precisely to Destry Giov's future in Formula 1 racing to stop Kimi being over taken by our rookie Norris.

I would say, looking forward to the next race.

#109 Raikkinen

Raikkinen

• 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:10

McLaren was not on Renault's pace lol.

Explain that to Ricciardo who was after 7 laps still a minute behind Russel.
But let's just agree to disagree, we look clearly with different views back on this race.

#110 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 439 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:13

McLaren  was not on Renault's pace lol.

Even on the first stint? I doubt that. Gio ruined Lando's race and tyres. McLaren were compromised. 

#111 Sestre

Sestre

• 50 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:35

Renault and Haas seem to be faster at the moment, but in a normal race, McLaren surely can fight for the points.

What could be salvageable in a burning PU?

#112 McLobby

McLobby

• 1,016 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:38

Carlos Sainz : Car felt 'really good' until it caught fire

https://www.formula1...aught_fire.html

#113 propercare

propercare

• 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:06

Max saying that when behind 1-1.5 sec of a car tires overheat. https://streamable.com/gtabo . Norris staying that long behind the Alfa could have cooked the tires as I said in previous post. He couldn't backed down as the Haas was just behind him. 

#114 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,788 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:26

Max saying that when behind 1-1.5 sec of a car tires overheat. https://streamable.com/gtabo

The soft did

#115 realracer200

realracer200

• 1,075 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:30

journos 1 forum armchair experts 0

#116 McLobby

McLobby

• 1,016 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:42

https://www.racefans...iling-to-score/

Norris says “I let everyone down” after failing to score

“It was too late,” he admitted. “It obviously cost me the positions on Kvyat and Stroll, which obviously put me out of the points in the end.

“I’m a bit annoyed because there was a lot more potential. The car had the pace to be in the top 10. Basically I let everyone down so I need to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

“The possibility was there to finish in the points today,” he added, “especially with Ricciardo and Grosjean out, two strong guys, one of them was ahead.”

Asked if he was proud of his first F1 race Norris said: “Of myself, not that much. Of the team I think I’m pretty proud.

“I had a pretty good car today. Not perfect but overall it had enough pace in it to be in the top 10.

“I just made a couple of mistakes that put be outside of it which is why I’m not as happy as what I was yesterday. Just nice to get my first race out of the way. I’d been quite nervous going in but after finishing I’m reasonably happy.”

Norris said he also lost ground at the Norris identified his start as another area where he could have improved. “My initial start was not too bad and then I got a bit too keen in the second phase and had a bit of wheelspin. Still it wasn’t too bad overall, I was just in a slightly wrong position going into turn one and turn three.”

#117 McLobby

McLobby

• 1,016 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:45

https://www.mclaren....ian-grand-prix/ GIL DE FERRAN, Sporting Director

“Overall, I must admit that, although there were several positives to draw from this weekend in general, we come away from the Australian Grand Prix a little disappointed. Carlos had a good start, but unfortunately had to retire with an early mechanical failure. On Lando’s side, the race was going well early on, until he was held up in traffic for some laps, which sealed his result outside the points. On the positive side, I’m pleased that Lando was able to put up a fighting performance in his debut grand prix and see the chequered flag.

“As predicted, it’s clear that several teams are in a tight battle, including ourselves, so any small improvements in our pace and execution can have a significant impact on our ranking. So, head down, and onwards to Bahrain.”

#118 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,102 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:57

Carlos was so unlucky this weekend as he had fight with issues throughout the week. Let's hope for a more trouble free weekend for him. I'm sure he can extract more from the car at the beginning of the season.

Norris had a few mistakes in the race but they are not that bad considering other drivers had much more off track excursions etc. throughout the weekend. He lost a lot of time behind Giovinazzi and probably hard tyre choice was not the most optimal choice in hindsight. We are definitely in the battle for 4th place in WCC. Next few races will present better picture of the real packing order. I hope Renault will fix these reliability issues as soon as possible.

I hope other PU elements are not badly damaged and can be recovered.

#119 Owen

Owen

• 12,847 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:58

Disappointing but I’ve seen enough to be convinced we are in for an exciting and interesting season at McLaren. Both drivers look strong as well. Bodes well. 👍

Advertisement

#120 CPR

CPR

• 4,659 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:14

Kinda weird how this year was more or less the opposite of last year, so far.

Last year: poor reliability in winter testing, early races went fine. This year: good reliability in winter testing, problems in the races.

Last year: quali was a disappointment, race was great. This year: quali was great, race was a disappointment.

On that basis, maybe Bahrain will be a great result!?

#121 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,113 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:16

https://www.racefans...iling-to-score/

Norris says “I let everyone down” after failing to score

“It was too late,” he admitted. “It obviously cost me the positions on Kvyat and Stroll, which obviously put me out of the points in the end.

“I’m a bit annoyed because there was a lot more potential. The car had the pace to be in the top 10. Basically I let everyone down so I need to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

“The possibility was there to finish in the points today,” he added, “especially with Ricciardo and Grosjean out, two strong guys, one of them was ahead.”

Asked if he was proud of his first F1 race Norris said: “Of myself, not that much. Of the team I think I’m pretty proud.

“I had a pretty good car today. Not perfect but overall it had enough pace in it to be in the top 10.

“I just made a couple of mistakes that put be outside of it which is why I’m not as happy as what I was yesterday. Just nice to get my first race out of the way. I’d been quite nervous going in but after finishing I’m reasonably happy.”

Norris said he also lost ground at the Norris identified his start as another area where he could have improved. “My initial start was not too bad and then I got a bit too keen in the second phase and had a bit of wheelspin. Still it wasn’t too bad overall, I was just in a slightly wrong position going into turn one and turn three.”

I think he's being a bit harsh on himself there... not a bad thing necessarily but I think for a debut he was pretty solid and was only prevented from a points finish by a rogue Alfa Romeo being kept out to protect the other team car that pitted early because of a tear-off/visor issue apparently. Giovinazzi cost Norris over 10 seconds before he got past, and that gave Stroll, Kvyat and Gasly track position when they eventually pitted. In clear air Lando could have managed the tyres properly and not struggled so much at the end of the race as he did when needing to get past the Alfa...

The car was quick enough for double points, which makes it disappointing that ended up not being the case, but I'm sure that the team is positive about their prospects for the season. On to Bahrain and hopefully a much better performance there than the last few seasons, the straight line speed of this car is much more encouraging for a circuit like Sakhir...

#122 Owen

Owen

• 12,847 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:16

Bahrain will give us a better read of the car IMHO.

#123 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 834 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:18

Kudos for the Kid for taking the blame. Basically his pit-stop was too early, And Gio ahead did not help either. As for genuine pace - we are right there in the scrap with Haas, Renault, AR, RP and TR. Now it's all up to the rate of development by the team. I hope in Bahrein we'll see something new on the car

#124 CPR

CPR

• 4,659 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:28

I did this chart to help explain race pace:

i-kt4D3ML.png

As we can see, there was no problem with his race pace after he overtook Gio (which clearly cost him 10s). At a guess, either there was an issue or they just turned things down around lap 42. Can't see any fundamental issue in race pace.

Lando and Hulkenberg were on the same tyres (except Hulk had fresh soft in the first stint).

#125 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,750 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:30

I kinda believe that I want to support him that he now start swimming in this aggressive sharp pool.

Com'on Lando, the second race should be yours!

Got o say that Sainz will be there and also want to support him for more points.

#126 BertoC

BertoC

• 397 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:41

I did this chart to help explain race pace:
i-kt4D3ML.png

As we can see, there was no problem with his race pace after he overtook Gio (which clearly cost him 10s). At a guess, either there was an issue or they just turned things down around lap 42. Can't see any fundamental issue in race pace.

Lando and Hulkenberg were on the same tyres (except Hulk had fresh soft in the first stint).

Thanks for that. Seeing things with a cold head it looks a bit better, he had similar pace as Hulk. We just need to know, by the team, why the big drop after lap 40 or so.

#127 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,747 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:43

Lando looks very good. Carlos... meh.

#128 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,578 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:48

Lando looks very good. Carlos... meh.

Sainz did a good job, is Sainz going to be your new Alonso?.

#129 restless

restless

• 545 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:51

Any news about CS engine?

Reason for MGU-K failure, or if more elements were damaged? 

#130 Hamm

Hamm

• 418 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:54

We just need to know, by the team, why the big drop after lap 40 or so.

I didn’t make the perfect start, struggled to get ahead of a slower car and  had a big lock-up so I need to work on these mistakes. 

#131 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,440 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:12

Norris cooked the tires behind Giovinazzi. Car is very good.

Agreed, is the explanation for this horrible pace on hards

#132 blacky

blacky

• 1,855 posts

It's just not possible to say where they are at the moment. Although I am pretty sure that they are not as bad as the race pace suggested (only ahead of Williams) but not as good as some guys here believe (in the fight for 4th best). Truth is maybe somewhere in the middle. Haas however looks quicker, Renault unkown. They have better drivers, but the car?

Edited by blacky, 17 March 2019 - 12:13.

#133 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,201 posts

Giovinazzi ruined his race. Maybe you could say McLaren should have accounted for that when they pitted Lando, but he was on for 9th without the other Alfa simply staying out to help protect Kimi...

That is just such stupid claim Alfa is to blame. Just bad losing attitude imo. As if Gio just has to move over for Lando. Alfa has al right (and reasons) to protect Kimi's points and position.

#134 kumo7

kumo7

• 1,750 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:17

It's just not possible to say where they are at the moment. Although I am pretty sure that they are not as bad as the race pace suggested (only ahead of Williams) but not as good as some guys here believe (in the fight for 4th best). Truth is maybe somewhere in the middle. Haas however looks quicker, Renault unkown. They have better drivers, but the car?

The issue seems to me, the mechanical issue on Saniz's car, hope that this is not a cary over from pre season testing on hydraulic issues.

Lando's start.

Lando's over take

#135 ERICTOPF1

ERICTOPF1

• 690 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:31

I'll take that for first race

https://twitter.com/...176001212219392

#136 aray

aray

• 4,023 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:40

Norris need times to settle. I think he did decent job. Real pace will be clear in Bahrin. I think we can fight with midfield.

#137 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,113 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:50

That is just such stupid claim Alfa is to blame. Just bad losing attitude imo. As if Gio just has to move over for Lando. Alfa has al right (and reasons) to protect Kimi's points and position.

I agree they can do as they please, doesn't mean their actions didn't ruin Norris' race.

#138 Pentecost

Pentecost

• 114 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 13:20

Norris just had the best qualy result in recent years, he had decent start and kept out of trouble (not seeing any massive mistakes) for whole race. it's pretty good for a rookie. and some of you are already calling Vandoorne back...

Litterally no one mentioned Vandoorne before you did.

#139 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 2,314 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 13:44

Well, disappointed, however, for the first time in quite a few years, I sat there watching the latter part of the race thinking 'the cars better than that'.  Shame about Sainz, can't help but feel he wouldn't have been tripped up by the Alfa, but it is what it is.  Lots of positives overall, the car certainly isn't 9th fastest - so point proved, but a disappointing results all the same.  

Advertisement

#140 Sunnny

Sunnny

• 439 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 14:31

I think McLaren is right up there to be 4th best car. There is a lot of positive things about the car and they can only get better. Very surprised people are sad about the results considering what happened today was not a true reflection of what the car could do./ 

#141 alpes

alpes

• 249 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 14:49

I'll take that for first race

https://twitter.com/...176001212219392

Who is Ivan Roldan?

#142 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,578 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 14:50

Mclaren aero engineer

#143 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 839 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 15:36

Probably not the MGU-K.  The most concerning thing for me was the fire. I dont see how that was related to MGU-K or why there was so much smoke.

Also, I've heard that when the Marshalls instinctively dump the the extinguishing fluid into the exhaust like that, that it can destroy the turbo due to the thermal shock.

#144 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 839 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 15:40

Explain that to Ricciardo who was after 7 laps still a minute behind Russel.
But let's just agree to disagree, we look clearly with different views back on this race.

Ricciardo had a huge chunk of the barge board missing which is part of the reason for retirement.  Surely you don't believe Renault are slower than Williams?

Don't get me wrong, if Lando had stayed in front of Hulk, I don't think Hulk would have been able to get past Lando because the Renault isn't so fast that he could drive around him. But the Renault did look a little better to be honest.   We don't know what Sainz could do, because again someone undermined by a Renault power unit...

Edited by ARTGP, 17 March 2019 - 15:41.

#145 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,865 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:59

journos 1 forum armchair experts 0

Idiots on the ignore list +1 

Stick to demolition derbys bud

#146 BertoC

BertoC

• 397 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:04

Seeing the lap charts (https://www.racefans...imes-and-tyres/) it's even more frustrating, if Lando have waited 3/4 more laps he would have pitted after Gio's pace drop and got out in front of him and gone with Mag/Hul/Rai to finish, hopefully in 9th. However the pace drop after lap 40 is colossal and I would like an explanation other than cooked tyres after a lock up. I think the lock up was around lap 25 when he overtook Gio (any video on that lock up?), on the 15 laps after that his pace was alright. I guess they were ruined earlier and were finished around that time, but I'm fearful the car has bad tire wear. :/

And look at Kvyat mega pace after his stop! Even going to the gravel he went super fast in the later stages.

Edited by BertoC, 17 March 2019 - 17:06.

#147 Outsider

Outsider

• 577 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:14

Litterally no one mentioned Vandoorne before you did.

true, just wanted to be first. because apparently if you are not rookie Hamilton, you are shockingly bad

#148 MirNyet

MirNyet

• 2,314 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:15

Seeing the lap charts (https://www.racefans...imes-and-tyres/) it's even more frustrating, if Lando have waited 3/4 more laps he would have pitted after Gio's pace drop and got out in front of him and gone with Mag/Hul/Rai to finish, hopefully in 9th. However the pace drop after lap 40 is colossal and I would like an explanation other than cooked tyres after a lock up. I think the lock up was around lap 25 when he overtook Gio (any video on that lock up?), on the 15 laps after that his pace was alright. I guess they were ruined earlier and were finished around that time, but I'm fearful the car has bad tire wear. :/

And look at Kvyat mega pace after his stop! Even going to the gravel he went super fast in the later stages.

Honestly, it's his first F1 race, the team most likely just told him to bring the car home rather than trying to be a hero.

#149 FNG

FNG

• 4,490 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:24

I think it was a good positive showing for McLaren this weekend. Noris had a good qualy and more importantly a good clean race. I was worried he would cock it up at the start. He didn't. I was worried he would get frustrated with Gio and throw it off the track trying to pass. He didn't. That part ruined his race. He could have got points. Sainz did well to start crawling up the grid until the engine blew. I'm fairly happy with how McLaren are looking.

#150 BJHF1

BJHF1

• 1,648 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:27

Lol, what were they able to achieve in the Toro Rosso last year? Red Bull have built a bullet car as usual.

Anything to undermine Honda it seems. Imagine what a sham the Renault PU would have looked like over the past several years had it not been in the back of a Newey rocketship.