- - - - -

The slow death of F-1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 MarkyDart

MarkyDart

• 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:34

First off ,I'm new here,retired from back east Canada.I grew up in the sixties being blessed by all the racetracks available to visit.Mosport,Quebec's tracks and even New York state.I've dabbled in racing myself and to this day build  cars from frame work to engines to paint.I'm 64.

I love motorsports,especially F-1.Not so anymore.They have become absurd with the rules and design.

Those of you who remember the powerplants;the v-8's the v-10's and even 12's.No turbo's,no electric motors.no brake by wire,no game console steering wheels.Stupid and I mean ridiclous front wings.Zero access to drive line during race.Fuel in tank for the entire race..The sound of these engines is horrible.Yes i agree with all the safety rules and upgrades.As some of the older f-1 drivers have stated-the current cars are silly easy to drive..

And its now extreme.It's basically the Merc's and sometimes the Red cars  and the Red Bull teams.all the other teams are filler.there is NO competition.Just like the spoiled rich drivers that get the few seats(while real talented drivers from average families are shelved)and the difference in team spending.Get real! I don't watch it or travel to F-1 races anymore.It's so boring.You can bet the farm on the top 4 finishing almost every race.

Oh yes-DRS.what fool designed and implimented that into motorsprts?The designer or Super Mario?So the car in front is penalized so that the car behind can pass,because the cars have gigantic snow plows that punch a huge volume of air over the car and creat a small tornado behind them making it impossible to pass.Yeah,thats really cool.

I know the youner ones like the racing,because it's video game compatable.

Watching real F-1 back in the 60's to the eighties.that was really awsome.Now,just like Nascar(but  Canadian Cascar on road courses is fantastic!) 

I can see f-1 headed for people turning away.Nascar has divided their race into 3 section races while still racing in circles.sorry,Crap-Just like "the chase" so true points do not count.

Bring back non turbo powerplants.Get rid of snow plow front air wings.Please get rid of DRS.That is a true p.o.s. !!!Put a cap on team spending and let the talented drivers

or all incomes get seats.the family money should not be a factor.Bring back true competition!That what counts.Make it fair for all teams.

Competition!

Grumpy old man you say/

Cheers.

Advertisement

#2 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:43

These latest tech regulations were a big miss. Hope they manage something easier and more interesting for next regs.

#3 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 715 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:47

Oh goodie! another one of these threads!!

#4 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,008 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:55

Old man yells at cloud.

#5 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:07

I can see f-1 headed for people turning away.

F1 has been bleeding viewers for years. Recently FOM has taken to publish 'new figures' to count the viewers the series supposedly attracts in creative and novel ways.

Not that F1 isn't still by far the most viewed racing series (not necessarily each event), but its direction is not an upward one.

Part of this affects all racing series, so it's a complicated thing to pin on one or two issues. Everyone will have his favourite hobby horses to complain about, but a golden age for F1 this is not.

#6 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:09

Old man yells at cloud.

He's not wrong though is he? Global viewing figures down. Multiple periods of domination, rules preventing easy catch up of other teams. Stale race management of tyres and gaps between teams......we are a million miles from the past and people don't realise it. F1 is slowly dying - did you see the highlights of today's race? There were 5 minutes that Liberty could muster up on YouTube and even those were tedious. The drivers don't even really have any personalities either.

Do you really think that this is a great age for F1?

Edited by F1Champion, 17 March 2019 - 17:10.

#7 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,076 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:10

If you grew up on Big Macs, you may think they're the epitome of good taste.  F1 does suck. 

Typically an F1 race consists of a half lap of chaos followed by another 60 of utter boredom.

#8 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:16

No, it really is dead this time!

#9 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,614 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:21

It really isnt. From today these regs seemed to have taken a step forward. Cars could follow.

Im not sure why people were expecting loads of overtakes at melbourne.

The only thing killing f1 is paywalls to watch it.

#10 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,204 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:23

According to the forum rules, new members are required to make 30 posts on the board before starting new topics.

You can find a discussion of the current ruleset in F1 here.