Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Haas F1 2019: The Grosjean and Magnussen Never Ending Tour, and other stories from Kannapolis/Banbury

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#1 Galoredk

Galoredk

• 323 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:43

May as well get the 2019 HAAS thread started as well, The place to talk about the drivers, team members etc.

Personally, I think Kmag will be behind on quali but better on Sundays. I think it might be a very even fight, however Kmag needs to win and finish best of the rest to keep top teams an option. Maybe even a podium.

(I searched like mad and could not see this thread anywhere, only tech)

Edited by Galoredk, 17 March 2019 - 17:54.

Advertisement

#2 tourister46a

tourister46a

• 707 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:49

Is it fair to say?

Qualifying:

Grosjean 1 - 0 Magnussen

Race:

Magnussen 1 - 0 Grosjean (mainly decided at the race start)

#3 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,918 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:49

yeah, that's about it.

#4 jgrwill

jgrwill

• 200 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 19:29

Great weekend for Kmag, bad luck for Gro, atleast they know the car is there.

Nicely and fair rejected Hulk with cold tires after pitstop by Kevin. After that he just had to Cruise home..
8 pts 👍

#5 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 19:36

Grosjean quicker
Magnussen better racer

Who's going to find up ahead this year? Flip a coin, I think. Very close.

#6 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 17:40

Grosjean quicker
Magnussen better racer

Who's going to find up ahead this year? Flip a coin, I think. Very close.

I think KMag will be ahead, here is why:

• Both drivers have expressed the car drives well, in the later part of 20108 the car did favor Grosjeans driving style so with that supposedly equalized it should help KMag.
  • More often than not KMag has the upper hand in the starts and he also makes less mistakes, so over a season that means more points than perhaps Grosjean being slightly better at qualifying.
  • KMag is still young and improving, with Grosjean I am not so sure if that is still the case.

A possible distraction for KMag though is him getting married, however with a wife and three kids Grosjean must still be the one with more on his plate outside of racing.

#7 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,326 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:33

I think they will very very evenly matched, both in races and qualifying, Points wise a result like yesterday will weigh heavily between them, the intra-team battle will likely be won on who retire the least. It is only the first race, however looks as if they once again this year have a strong car to start the season, which if the stay on the road will mean either one or two in the points first 4 - 6 races.

Over the season my biased view is Magnussen will win.

:cool:

#8 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,147 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:44

A possible distraction for KMag though is him getting married, however with a wife and three kids Grosjean must still be the one with more on his plate outside of racing.

Quite literally, given he and his wife's fondness for cooking!

#9 Galoredk

Galoredk

• 323 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:22

What a ****ing lap from Kmag. 5/1000th from Verstappen.
Amazing. We might even battle for 3rd in constructors!

#10 jgrwill

jgrwill

• 200 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 17:19

Great job by Kmag and the team.
Increadible what they have done.
Kmag and Gro 👍👍

#11 Galoredk

Galoredk

• 323 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 19:06

Grosjean got 3 position penalty for blocking Lando Norris in Q1. Starts 11th......

#12 Anja

Anja

• 10,303 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 19:29

If they really don't advise their drivers on traffic, it's just asking for trouble. 

#13 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 1,180 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 19:42

I read comments from Grosjean and Norris after Q and I don't understand penalty for Romain at all... :mad: . 

Anyway, car seems to be competive. Good luck tomorrow :up: .

#14 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,629 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 19:51

I read comments from Grosjean and Norris after Q and I don't understand penalty for Romain at all... :mad: . 

Anyway, car seems to be competive. Good luck tomorrow :up: .

The penalty is more to hurt the team and constructor. Ultimately they could have been more up to date with the spotting. Sounds like the last he heard from the team, Norris was 7 seconds behind...And the teams never mentioned Norris again until after it was too late. Team probably watched it on TV just like the rest of us. Muppets...

Edited by ARTGP, 30 March 2019 - 19:52.

#15 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,629 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 19:53

If they really don't advise their drivers on traffic, it's just asking for trouble. 

Everything I read suggest that what was said on the Sky stream about not advising drivers on traffic was utter bs. That's piss poor commentary if so meant to paint a narrative...

Edited by ARTGP, 30 March 2019 - 19:53.

#16 Lord_Shaitan

Lord_Shaitan

• 1,180 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 20:03

The penalty is more to hurt the team and constructor. Ultimately they could have been more up to date with the spotting. Sounds like the last he heard from the team, Norris was 7 seconds behind...And the teams never mentioned Norris again until after it was too late. Team probably watched it on TV just like the rest of us. Muppets...

He also got 1 penalty point and has 8 now... Total BS. :down:

#17 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,110 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 21:18

Haas very strong! Incredible.

#18 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 22:16

Apparently the Muppet was Vettel (+ there is also a Muppet behind a keyboard somewhere jumping to conclusions).

https://www.planetf1...orris-incident/

#19 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 965 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 22:44

Looking forward to tomorrow, would be amazing if Magnussen could take Verstappen in the first lap. Hope he doesn't gamble too much though, Verstappen would probably crash before giving up his place.

Advertisement

#20 loki

loki

• 12,231 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 23:40

Everything I read suggest that what was said on the Sky stream about not advising drivers on traffic was utter bs. That's piss poor commentary if so meant to paint a narrative..

What I got from what was said on the broadcast was that one of the talking heads talked to a manager from some other team on the flight over and he said Haas don't keep the drivers informed.  It's not exactly a stellar source but seems to be the way Sky F1 operates.

#21 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 00:11

Grosjean got 3 position penalty for blocking Lando Norris in Q1. Starts 11th......

Grosjean got 3 position penalty for being screwed by Vettel and then in turn backing out and blocking Lando Norris. Vettel (being a Ferrari star driver) is allowed to drive like an arse. Just another case of the stewards making one rule for the haves and another for the have nots.

#22 Laniakea

Laniakea

• 478 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:16

Hmm.. I do feel for Grosjean on this matter., quite heavy penalty...and not least as its Vettel that tumble the stage completely by making an overtake up into the final corner. and something you don't.

You can see that Grosjean will not have Vettel to do this crap-move to him and trying to move over and say no' and show Vettel that I am also going on a fast lap'  on the final start corner and its the reason why the radio message doesn't include Norris information before its to late as the team had no idea that Vettel would do this and making a whole new situation they shall relate to..

https://streamable.com/f1t3w

btw don't put any weight into the UK commentators.

They will not blink twice and gladly elevate a given situation in regards to interests, bias, a chase for drama or even some freaky sense of political correctness when it comes to certain society aspects... I don't put much weight into BBC, Sky and many medias in general.. you often need to take news, stories etc, with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Laniakea, 31 March 2019 - 05:24.

#23 Morgan111

Morgan111

• 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:10

After qualifying Kevin said their long run pace wasn’t very good compared to some of the other teams. But that they had made some adjustements to the setup in order to improve it. He didn’t sound too confident, so perhaps 6th will be difficult. Hopefully they can still get some decent points.

#24 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:28

"The Grosjean and Magnussen Never Ending Tour, and other stories from Kannapolis/Banbury"

Who comes up with these ever changing thread titles? 

This thread is a fairly representative example. The same appears to apply in respect of most teams.

Why do they or it (perhaps it's an algorithm or some sort of flawed, er, artificial intelligence. 

What is the objective? Is it supposed to be funny? 

confused-kid.jpg

#25 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,326 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:04

I hope it’s not a repeat of 2018 where Magnussen scores all the points and Grosjean doesn’t. First race a wheel not fit on properly and now a grid penalty for him. I hope he scores good points today, his run of bad luck is just amazing.

#26 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 378 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:18

Most of so called 'bad luck' is self inflicted. Yes, the team told him too late, but his car does have mirrors. If you're going slowly on the racing line, you ALWAYS have to look in your mirrors. It's like this guy has no racing experience.

I for one was absolutely shocked by the Netflix coverage. He makes a mistake in quali and then he goes on saying that he had 'bad luck' and that he didn't make a mistake all weekend. No mate, making a mistake is not bad luck. Bad luck is when you get hit by lightning.

His refusal to take the blame and accept his mistakes is why he never learns. Just an insecure little boy with a fragile ego. The only good decision he made was getting help from a psychologist. That was a smart move.

Props to Norris for telling the truth about that incident. 

#27 taran

taran

• 4,461 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 14:36

I understand that Grosjean was more sinned against than sinner but in the end, he made the mistake. Vettel overtook to get a clear lap which, while a dick move, isn’t prohibited.

Grosjean then responsed by slowing down to get a clear lap too, thereby getting in Norris’ way. So how is that not his fault?

#28 Papand

Papand

• 80 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 16:25

Depressing to watch how Haas messed up their race setup after the brlliant qualifying... :(

#29 jgrwill

jgrwill

• 200 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:52

Shame after the Great Quali Yesterday.

Next time remember to activate the button that says SPEED 🖲

Hard Day at the Office for Kmag.

#30 Morgan111

Morgan111

• 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:55

Yeah, that was horrible right from the start. No pace whatsoever.

#31 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,326 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 19:30

No pace and a gamble on a strategy which did not work, and was not even close to working.

#32 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 378 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:34

To be fair to Grosjean, this time he did have bad luck. Stroll just drove into him. Ofcourse he shouldn't be racing Stroll, he should be much further up the grid with that car. Haas looked like the fastest midfield car by a mile in pre season testing but they are just so inconsistent. Looking at the gps data, the car looked really good in fast corners in Bahrain so in China they should be p7-p8

#33 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,042 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 13:13

I think Haas would have been better served by replacing one of Gro/Mag.

This car is consistently being wasted.

Drafting in Kimi over Grosjean on a one year deal would have been shrewd. Or even Perez

They need a driver who can keep their nose clean for a whole weekend consistently.

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 13:26

I think Haas would have been better served by replacing one of Gro/Mag.

This car is consistently being wasted.

Drafting in Kimi over Grosjean on a one year deal would have been shrewd. Or even Perez

They need a driver who can keep their nose clean for a whole weekend consistently.

Usual anti-Haas drivel, what could the drivers possibly have done differently this weekend? What could Kimi or Perez have done which Grosjean did not? Magnussen are exactly what a 'Class B' team needs, just under the uppper, upper layers of the field.

#35 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 13:29

Yeah, that was horrible right from the start. No pace whatsoever.

They should be thanking the $Deity of their choice that Renault 'pooched it in the last five laps.  A lot of precincts had them finishing third in the Constructor's, bur who thought Alfa and Macca would get it right so soon?  Going to be a long year.

#36 jannyg

jannyg

• 2,042 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 14:34

Usual anti-Haas drivel, what could the drivers possibly have done differently this weekend? What could Kimi or Perez have done which Grosjean did not? Magnussen are exactly what a 'Class B' team needs, just under the uppper, upper layers of the field.

Nah Haas are doing an unbelievable job, and I disagree with the customer car BS that gets spouted toward them.

I do think they have a good car which is and has been wasted, I am looking more at Grosjean.

You cant deny that either one of them will be involved in weird incidents every other weekend.

#37 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 14:52

Nah Haas are doing an unbelievable job, and I disagree with the customer car BS that gets spouted toward them.

I do think they have a good car which is and has been wasted, I am looking more at Grosjean.

You cant deny that either one of them will be involved in weird incidents every other weekend.

I can not see how their car is being wasted.

I do not agree either of them will be involved in weird incidents every other weekend. All drivers are involved in the occasional incident, if Haas is wasting a good car due the drivers, then Vettel is wasting a good car, which he obviously is not, as Ricciardo is not, as Sainz is not.

#38 Montie

Montie

• 1,841 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 15:03

What ever changes Haas did to their setup before the race did not work. Honestly, people should start blaming the team a bit more than the drivers.

#39 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 15:13

What ever changes Haas did to their setup before the race did not work. Honestly, people should start blaming the team a bit more than the drivers.

Yes, and I do. I think whilst Haas are able to buy large chunks of a works car off-the-shelf (good for them), it seems they are not able to "buy" works level operations... 

Advertisement

#40 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 16:10

I have decided that what we just saw was the one bad weekend Haas will have in 2019. From now on it will be unicorns, rainbows and fastest laps and we will see two Ferrari powered team fighting it out for the podium places.

Okay, back to reality :-)

Lets just hope Haas learns what went wrong and how to correct it over the two testing days, so they do not have the issue again.

#41 jgrwill

jgrwill

• 200 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 17:39

It’s not like Kmag or Gro, from saturday places the car in 6 and 8 forgot to drive fast over Night.

As Gunter Said; the only time we had control over the pace was when we parked it after the race.

To me that is alarming and they need a lot of understanding of the car.

Hope they get during the test days..

#42 loki

loki

• 12,231 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 18:33

The cars are in parc ferme from when they roll out the first time in Q1.  They can't be changed except for tires (if you didn't make it to Q3), minor wing adjustments and fuel.  Grosjean's issue was the penalty which put him back in the fracas and they put Magnussen on a bad one stop strategy. 

Yes, and I do. I think whilst Haas are able to buy large chunks of a works car off-the-shelf (good for them), it seems they are not able to "buy" works level operations... 

As we've seen none of the non manufacturer supported teams with the exception of Red Bull have been able to field works level operations in spite of the fact they spend much more than Haas.  As a car the Haas has good pace but they are still having issues executing as a team.  Not counting Grosjean's brain farts from time to time.

#43 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 378 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:53

The Haas is a high downforce, high drag car. Since there are no fast corners they couldn't show their strength. Also Redbull couldn't get the tyres working so it's not like Haas was the only one. I'm sure in China with all the fast corners, Haas will be comfortably 4th fastest again.

#44 danmills

danmills

• 3,168 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:04

Grosjean is just becoming a liability again. For every argument the guy is quick, he's made of glass and prone to bad luck and mistakes, either caused by or involved in. You can point out the podiums he got in the Lotus, but remember a rusty Kimi won races in that same car.

I took would rather see Perez in the Haas in place of Grosjean, but sadly the guarantee of fireworks with KMag is too much to ever happen.

Even Sainz would have been a better bet.

#45 JacobRPP

JacobRPP

• 472 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:05

Was Haas caught out by the cooler night temperature and not managing to get the tyres in the right window with the tyre pressure? They simply had too little pressure in there. After Magnussens pitstop he did not seem to lose too much time, still not optimal, but they tried to fix but were still off the sweet spot as the temp dropped.

#46 JacobRPP

JacobRPP

• 472 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:06

Grosjean is fast again today on hot weather.

#47 motohead

motohead

• 303 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:41

Is it fair to say?

Qualifying:

Grosjean 1 - 1 Magnussen

Race:

Magnussen 2 - 0 Grosjean 

Magnussen 8 - 0 Grosjean

#48 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:59

Haas will be a lot more exciting with some American drivers than Magnussen Grosjean

#49 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,326 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 15:21

I continue to struggle with the dislike of the Haas drivers, I can not come up with any US drivers who would do better, then one I would like to see there next to Magnussen would be Rossi.

#50 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 233 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 18:23

I continue to struggle with the dislike of the Haas drivers, I can not come up with any US drivers who would do better, then one I would like to see there next to Magnussen would be Rossi.

It seems to me it is simply lack of knowledge about who they are, rather than anything based on facts.

Okay, granted Grosjean did have a crisis last year which was expensive for Haas both in car parts and points lost. However while as a Dane I am clearly using tinted glasses I fail to see where KMag is not delivering not do I think he did bad on his way to Haas. I suggest his critics inform them self on his history.

As for US drivers. Seeing how different the Indycar race at COTA was from the F1 races I am not sure any US driver can slot straight into a F1 race seat, it would have to be over a stint as test driver or something like that. If so, then Rossi would be a likely candidate but would he really do better than Grosjean or KMag - that is doubtful to me.