Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Haas F1 2019: The Grosjean and Magnussen Never Ending Tour, and other stories from Kannapolis/Banbury

• Please log in to reply
1135 replies to this topic

#1101 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,455 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 17:09

It would be nothing for the two drivers to worry about

Advertisement

#1102 BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver

• 159 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 17:33

Well if Steiner is thinking Kibica is a test asset then that speaks volumes of why the team ended up in the position they are now.. I like Steiner for his frankness and not masking things but man that came out of left field today that he would like Kubica possibly in a test role. I get they are facing a huge financial drop and maybe this is a way of sweeting the pot but wow, he willing to spend on custom rigs for the guy just for feedback... then why not just hire Hulk if you want different feedback. Confused by HaasF1 even more now.

I think you're mistaken about Kubica.

Being a great test driver doesn't call for being the fastest, it calls for being fast, consistent, able to communicate with the engineers, safe and intelligent. All things that Kubica may well be and on top of that he is likely also one that would value his role as test driver without forever be looking a race drive.

#1103 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 363 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 17:40

Well if Steiner is thinking Kibica is a test asset then that speaks volumes of why the team ended up in the position they are now.. I like Steiner for his frankness and not masking things but man that came out of left field today that he would like Kubica possibly in a test role. I get they are facing a huge financial drop and maybe this is a way of sweeting the pot but wow, he willing to spend on custom rigs for the guy just for feedback... then why not just hire Hulk if you want different feedback. Confused by HaasF1 even more now.

Luca Badoer and Pedro De La Rosa werent fast but they still stuck around for a long, long time.

Being a "slow" racer doesnt mean you are a crappy test-driver. 

Might be that Kubica is in a similar situation now. Either that or you are 100% right.

#1104 loki

loki

• 5,881 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 17:57

Kubica is known as a good test driver.  They’ve never had a good test driver.  The kids they’ve hired barely or didn’t have license points.  They are going to need to up their game and having a dedicated driver in the sim during race weekend and to help develop the new car should help.  As noted above Badoer was an excellent test driver though blisteringly slow as a racer.  They need a test and sim program to validate the engineering data.  You don’t do that with race drivers.  It’s a full time job all on its own.  

#1105 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 18:14

Ok, I don’t see how someone who can’t get on top of the tires and turbo era and who drops back on longs will help Haas move forward... even in sim work or the odd test but if that’s what’s Haas needs to move forward then good luck with that.

#1106 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,517 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:55

A paddock ban is speculated

Chris Medland
@ChrisMedlandF1
·
16 s
Guenther Steiner summoned to the stewards today for an alleged breach of the International Sporting Code with his radio messages immediately after the chequered flag in the Russian GP #F1 #JapaneseGP
EGj-kuVU8AAA1jA.jpg

Edited by Marklar, 11 October 2019 - 01:58.

#1107 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,622 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:40

They should have better things to do than that.

:cool:

#1108 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,455 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:50

What did he say?

#1109 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 2,243 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:19

What did he say?

Apparently calling out Pirro on radio

#1110 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,362 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:43

There's a part of me that thinks they were looking for someone to make an example of and that it's Günther and will be absolutely amazing for the Netflix show is just a bonus.

Seems it's £7500 fine.

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 11 October 2019 - 05:44.

#1111 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,341 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:19

They can't even spell his name correctly, maybe it's someone else.

#1112 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 514 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:26

A paddock ban is speculated

Chris Medland
@ChrisMedlandF1
·
16 s
Guenther Steiner summoned to the stewards today for an alleged breach of the International Sporting Code with his radio messages immediately after the chequered flag in the Russian GP #F1 #JapaneseGP
EGj-kuVU8AAA1jA.jpg

FIA snowflakes

#1113 Peat

Peat

• 4,485 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:02

Pah! Good on'em. 

This isn't sodding football. 

#1114 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,656 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:30

FIA snowflakes

It's the other way round. The only snowflakes are the ones who are not hard and self-disciplined enough to behave professionally. You insult a marshal on the radio? Then man up and deal with the consequences. That's how life goes.

#1115 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 14:01

Not sure i agree, you should be able to call a spade a spade.. all n all it was the right thing he did and it was the so of right amount of fine but even I would say the FIA should have said they gave him a warning and be done with it. I thought we were entering the era of warning 1st. He wasn’t wrong, it was a bad call.

Edited by Paco, 11 October 2019 - 14:02.

#1116 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 5,961 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 14:06

He wasn’t wrong, I agree with calling a spade a spade, not everyone is subservient.

#1117 boomn

boomn

• 361 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 16:11

He wasn’t wrong, I agree with calling a spade a spade, not everyone is subservient.

Publicly disagreeing with a stewarding decision is allowed.  But making it really personal towards a steward and publicly calling them an idiot is a different thing and another level beyond "not being subservient"

#1118 Paco

Paco

• 3,623 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 17:50

Publicly disagreeing with a stewarding decision is allowed. But making it really personal towards a steward and publicly calling them an idiot is a different thing and another level beyond "not being subservient"

You do get in the heat of the moment emotions run high right.... it was a bonehead call n Steiner was livid...

#1119 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,656 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 22:24

You do get in the heat of the moment emotions run high right.... it was a bonehead call n Steiner was livid...

In a highly professional environment, there is no place for uncontrolled emotions, though. 

Advertisement

#1120 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 384 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 00:43

I read somewhere -- sorry, I can't remember the source -- that there was a confrontation after the race between Pirro and Steiner.  It was apparently quite heated, and Steiner had some further very strong opinions about Pirro's ability as a steward as well as a person, and that he expressed these to Pirro's face.

Can anyone confirm this?

#1121 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,517 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:00

Was the message even broadcasted into the world feed though?

#1122 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,842 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:08

Was the message even broadcasted into the world feed though?

Apparently, can't actually remember it myself, but if you read the full report, they actually make the point in their judgement. Which begs the question of whether they would have done anything if FOM had not put it out there.

#1123 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 5,562 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:25

My five cents: you can call any person an idiot, because that is YOUR reflection on their intellectual capacities. But, for example, calling someone 'corrupt' has to with actual actions of persons in a real, legal sense. I only read Steiner's comments in the above posted document. I see no accusations there that bring the FIA in disrepute. 

The FIA should stay out of it. 

#1124 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,517 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 13:48

Apparently, can't actually remember it myself, but if you read the full report, they actually make the point in their judgement. Which begs the question of whether they would have done anything if FOM had not put it out there.

I just checked, it wasnt, only on Magnussen's F1TV Onboard feed, but that is live. They even turned off Steiners radio after the "stupid and idiotic steward" bit when he was just starting to say the “You know who the steward is You know him. It is always the same. He just does not get any more intelligent.” bit

Here, see yourself

https://streamable.com/x2fzi

Edited by Marklar, 12 October 2019 - 13:49.

#1125 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,656 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 14:47

My five cents: you can call any person an idiot, because that is YOUR reflection on their intellectual capacities. But, for example, calling someone 'corrupt' has to with actual actions of persons in a real, legal sense. I only read Steiner's comments in the above posted document. I see no accusations there that bring the FIA in disrepute. 

The FIA should stay out of it. 

I'm sorry, but no, you can't publicly call any person, let alone a race official, an idiot o a ********. For a start, I'm sure there is some article in the sporting code which specifically forbids insulting anyone on live radio.

You don't insult marshals in sports, that's a given. A footballer who said Steiner's words to a referee would immediately see a red card.

#1126 BRG

BRG

• 16,962 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 16:34

I'm sorry, but no, you can't publicly call any person, let alone a race official, an idiot o a ********. For a start, I'm sure there is some article in the sporting code which specifically forbids insulting anyone on live radio.

You don't insult marshals in sports, that's a given. A footballer who said Steiner's words to a referee would immediately see a red card.

I absolutely agree.  Sadly, there has been an erosion of this principle - McEnroe and others in tennis, Mourinho and Wenger in football and so on.  Personally, I think anyone publicly questioning the officials in any sport should be sanctioned. Do it in private by all means, but mouthing off in public is disrespectful and undermines the 'rule of law'.  If you don't like the way they run that sport, then take your ball and find someone else's garden to play in.

#1127 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,517 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 16:47

Criticism should be allowed imo. Steiner wasnt just criticism though, he called him idiotic, stupid, took a breath to then also question his intelligence and competence. Plus you cant even excuse it with the heat of the moment argument - same why this argument is not relevant for Vettel embarassing himself after the race in Montreal. He said it long after the penalty was applied. He had enough time to think about something critical but not insulting, and he failed to do so. This has also nothing to do with the FIA not allowing true emotions, it's one thing to outburst initially, thus showing true emotions (Vettel in Mexico) and another thing to get a jail out card for insulting and be disrespectful to another entity no matter when.

Plus the FIA is very lenient with just giving fines for this. Neymar got suspended for three matches for criticising a referee on Instagram earlier this year for example.

Edited by Marklar, 12 October 2019 - 16:49.

#1128 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 747 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:31

Credit where credit is due, good job for Grosjean didn’t expect him to get the car to Q3 knowing the qualities of the car is expected he will start going backwards let’s hope not, as for Magnussen I guess there will always be excuses but disappointing he didn’t nail a good quali and even worse he crashed, I’m sure that kind of driving is something teams like Ferrari, Mercedes or Rb will never consider but as for a midfield team is costly considering the finances of smaller teams and how expensive this incidents are.

#1129 loki

loki

• 5,881 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:36

In a highly professional environment, there is no place for uncontrolled emotions, though. 

Calling someone an idiot is not moral injury.  Particularly when you gladly take your motor races to places where the governments inflict not only moral injury on their people but physical injury and death.  When the FIA get to a place where they aren’t going to places with authoritarian leaders then they can start claiming the moral high ground.  This is an instance of someone being butt hurt they got called out.  For the FIA to determine this as a “moral injury” is hypocritical.  

#1130 jgrwill

jgrwill

• 169 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:50

Credit where credit is due, good job for Grosjean didn’t expect him to get the car to Q3 knowing the qualities of the car is expected he will start going backwards let’s hope not, as for Magnussen I guess there will always be excuses but disappointing he didn’t nail a good quali and even worse he crashed, I’m sure that kind of driving is something teams like Ferrari, Mercedes or Rb will never consider but as for a midfield team is costly considering the finances of smaller teams and how expensive this incidents are.

Always the negative from you... 👎
Do you have a comment on Kevins race start 👍

That the car is bad in race trim, is another story
or wait, that’s the drivers fault ?

#1131 Montie

Montie

• 1,236 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:11

So the hard tire does not work for them. Magnussen’s seat has come undone, that is just great.

#1132 Montie

Montie

• 1,236 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:17

Start onboard Magnussen

https://streamable.c...AfZ9eFIr164KxB4

#1133 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,110 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:26

Start onboard Magnussen

https://streamable.c...AfZ9eFIr164KxB4

Opened up very nicely for him. Pretty satisfying to watch!

#1134 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 747 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:47

Always the negative from you... 👎
Do you have a comment on Kevins race start 👍

It was a good start no doubt as other drivers did as well, said that doesn’t exclude his mistake when he crashed the car on Q, I believe he could had a better result had he started a little bit closer to the front, he did a good race not saying otherwise but if you expect me to only remark the positives and like one or two people around say that he is top team material and deserves to be N1 in Mercedes sorry I won’t do it, he is not top team material nor do I believe he is among the best of the midfield either.

Having said that his race was good given the car he has (which both drivers had fail to develop especially on the tire department where the drivers feedback plays a big role) and although I don’t expect him to bring constant strong results even when having a good car as proven last season where he had the 4th best car for most of the season I strongly believe that Magnussen deserves to be on the grid unlike other drivers (I.e. Grosjean) since the low end of the grid needs to have also competitive drivers that suit the low end of the grid standard rather than having 2 williams and 2 Haas on a parade of mobile chicanea which in my opinion suits perfectly Magnussen as well bringing entertainment as well, those are my two cents.

Edited by theflyingwheel, 13 October 2019 - 11:49.

#1135 motohead

motohead

• 239 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:58

Always the negative from you...
Do you have a comment on Kevins race start

As usual the advice is don't engage with these things written from this certain gentlemen. If anything take the discussions on Perez' chat board (user is a Perez fan it would seem) so the predictable and really boring comments don't pollute this thread.

#1136 jgrwill

jgrwill

• 169 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:36

As usual the advice is don't engage with these things written from this certain gentlemen. If anything take the discussions on Perez' chat board (user is a Perez fan it would seem) so the predictable and really boring comments don't pollute this thread.

I find him very amusing though 😀😀

Always with a little smile and Rolling eyes I read his comments 😂😂

Perez fan ..... Didn’t that guy crash