* * * - - 1 votes

Racing Point 2019: Stroll, Stroll and Perez

• Please log in to reply
357 replies to this topic

#301 ANF

ANF

• 10,213 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:44

A good race from Pérez for no reward. Did anyone see the overtake from Albon? I didn’t, but Sergio has said: “Albon came very fast and crashed into me, damaged my suspension and the last three or four laps were very challenging.” Good job keeping Hülkenberg behind then, but what do others think?

Video: https://www.formula1...inal_point.html

Seems to me that Pérez (1) closed to the door a little too late, moving in the braking area, and (2) turned straight into Albon as if the Toro Rosso wasn't there.

Advertisement

#302 Collective

Collective

• 1,372 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 15:01

A good race from Pérez for no reward. Did anyone see the overtake from Albon? I didn’t, but Sergio has said: “Albon came very fast and crashed into me, damaged my suspension and the last three or four laps were very challenging.” Good job keeping Hülkenberg behind then, but what do others think?

I saw the onboard. You could say it was a bit too firm, basically told Checo to go extremely deep or go home. But he was gonna make the corner so it's not like he used him as a bump brake, Checo turned in instead of trying to go deeper.

Edited by Collective, 05 August 2019 - 15:05.

#303 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:15

He means pace wise in Quali.....I agree I see little improvement in this area

Well he probably should have indicated that in his post. As for Q pace, this year he has slowly closed the distance between himself and Perez aside from the last 2 races. Hungary he was blocked on his final run, and Germany he clearly blew it, but otherwise he has been much closer.

#304 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,498 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 16:13

Not sure how reliable that is but apparently the main sponsor has pulled out from all of their sports activities

https://www.standard...impression=true

Edited by Marklar, 09 August 2019 - 16:13.

#305 BRG

BRG

• 16,958 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 17:02

The article says 'The cancellation applies to SportPesa Kenya only and does not affect other sponsorships under SportPesa in other countries, as those are separate entities.'  So Kenya only.

#306 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,498 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 17:37

Hm, their own press release seems very vague, and even if so it's certainly not a good sign either way.

#307 sopa

sopa

• 12,128 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 19:02

Hm, their own press release seems very vague, and even if so it's certainly not a good sign either way.

Well, looks we are likely to enter new global recession within next 1-2 years anyway. Hence no-one should count their chickens yet in terms of what or who are we going to see in F1 once the new regs begin in 2021. But that would be a discussion for another topic.

#308 30L

30L

• 145 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 20:48

Sure, we'll be here. Nobody really expects him to outperform Perez, and we were here when Sergio dominated the early races. So you telling us then that the points don't matter??? That is so very cute. :rotfl:

Lol not at all, I just find it cute how people NOW speak of points but ask about Hulk or Oco and Per won in that respect and somehow didn't matter much to some,but now apparently it does... Anyway the point is Per will be on top at the end of the season and points DO matter

#309 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,498 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:32

I dont really see how you can compare that. Perez didnt just beat Hulkenberg and Ocon on points by virtue of freak results, he also finished most races ahead of them and except of last year wasnt far off in qualifying. Of course maybe the free tyre choice tipped it in his favour, but in Stroll's case it's not even close, really.

Points do matter, but especially in the midfield they dont always reflect the truth.

Edited by Marklar, 11 August 2019 - 03:34.

#310 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:04

Lol not at all, I just find it cute how people NOW speak of points but ask about Hulk or Oco and Per won in that respect and somehow didn't matter much to some,but now apparently it does... Anyway the point is Per will be on top at the end of the season and points DO matter

Of course they do, and not only for Perez.

#311 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:07

I dont really see how you can compare that. Perez didnt just beat Hulkenberg and Ocon on points by virtue of freak results, he also finished most races ahead of them and except of last year wasnt far off in qualifying. Of course maybe the free tyre choice tipped it in his favour, but in Stroll's case it's not even close, really.

Points do matter, but especially in the midfield they dont always reflect the truth.

Truth??? What is truth in F1? Seems to me truth in F1 is money and points = $$$$$$.

#312 Collective

Collective

• 1,372 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 15:34

It's a quite remarkable turnaround in this thread. We went from points don't matter, qualy master race, to points are everything in less than a calendar year. Amazing.

Anyone else excited for this weekend? Car seems great in FP. Unfortunately it looks like both drivers will have engine penalties, but it should be a decent points haul anyway.

#313 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 5,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 15:49

has Perez still not been confirmed for 2020 this weekend?
I thought Racing Point would announce their line-up at Spa, off course Stroll will be staying for sure and Perez 99% sure (Hülkenberg the other 1%)

#314 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 16:09

According to RaceFans - Perez has signed a new 3 year deal with Racing Point.  He must be the only driver with a contract that long, when did a driver last have a 3 year contract with any team?

“I’m very excited to extend my partnership with the team for the next three years,” said Perez. “I’ve been working together with this group of people for a long time now and they have become my second family. Together we have enjoyed a tremendous amount of success and we share the same passion for racing.

https://www.racefans...t-racing-point/

#315 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,498 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 16:15

Leclerc signed before this season for 4 years with Ferrari :p

#316 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 567 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 16:50

Leclerc signed before this season for 4 years with Ferrari :p

He'll live to regret that.

#317 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 18:12

What other options did Perez really have??

#318 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,535 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 18:32

The car was looking great with the new Spec engine...

Hopefully it's not a matter of bad refrigeration caused by the engine covers!

p.s. Goodbye old nosecone, you'll be missed!

#319 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 19:21

I am very pleased at the Perez signing. I have not always been a fan of his, but he has developed into a solid mid-fielder capable of scoring points on a consistent basis. Checo may not be Ferrari material, but Racing Point is not Ferrari after all.

Advertisement

#320 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 747 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 15:14

Behind daddy boy Stroll this year and very prone to mistakes. Nope, time to let him go. 2016 and 2017 long time ago now.

Not anymore and now ahead of even Magnussen and Grosjean

#321 Lights

Lights

• 16,679 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 15:34

Strong race by Perez, getting good points when the track suits them.

Stroll being ahead of him in the standings didn't last long. I just don't see him getting a result like this unless the race is full-on craziness

#322 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,613 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 15:35

Stroll being ahead of him in the standings didn't last long. I just don't see him getting a result like this unless the race is full-on craziness

But he once again scored points, I maintain he is not the middling, fumbling driver some insist him to be.

:cool:

#323 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,717 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 16:08

Monza is up next, a good track for them once again and one of the few where Stroll is always strong as well, so who knows.

#324 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,535 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 18:42

But he once again scored points, I maintain he is not the middling, fumbling driver some insist him to be.

Stroll, undoubtedly, is the best starter of the entire grid...

... or one of the best.

;)

On the other aspects of driving a racing car, meh... Well, he’s not that bad battling on track either.

Edited by coppilcus, 01 September 2019 - 18:44.

#325 Lights

Lights

• 16,679 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 18:59

He just lacks some pace, especially in qualifying. And pace is kinda important in racing. For the rest he's not half bad, he starts well and can fight well at times, though I remember him being involved in contact now and then (Bahrain, Spain, today he hit Ricciardo) that may or may not affect his race results.

All things considered he's in the bottom 5 drivers on the grid.

#326 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 878 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 19:21

Stroll isn't bad at all. The doubters (usually those who cannot separate Lance from Lawrence and who also assume certain characteristics of Lance due to Lawrence's cash) said he'd be obliterated by Perez. And the fact is, despite Lance still struggling on Saturdays, he's not been obliterated. They've actually been quite an interesting pairing...they don't pee each other off, aren't that far apart in race pace, both are scoring points and not taking each other off the track. 

Sure, I doubt Lance will ever be WDC and may never win a grand prix either....but he's far from bad. He's proving himself to be a decent midfield driver. He doesn't bin it often, and is bringing home points.

#327 Collective

Collective

• 1,372 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 20:23

Strong race bun Checo. Always good around Spa. Great start by Stroll and a very good call to do the late pit stop after he had been stuck behind the long stinters for way too long.

#328 messy

messy

• 3,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 13:24

Stroll in “outqualifies Perez” shocker

#329 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,613 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 15:18

Monza is Stroll's best track.

#330 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 15:27

It was a good effort from Stroll, but make no mistake, he did benefit from "circumstances". I am disappointed he did not get a run in Q3. I don't know what Racing Point was thinking, screwing around with Mercedes, and Ferrari. What did they have to gain? Stroll had no time, and he certainly wasn't in play for a top 6 position. What they lost was an opportunity for Lance to gain some experience doing a hot lap on a less crowded track. Feel the same about Red Bull and Albon. What are these kids learning sitting in the garage?

#331 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 20,613 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 22:05

It was a good effort from Stroll, but make no mistake, he did benefit from "circumstances". I am disappointed he did not get a run in Q3. I don't know what Racing Point was thinking, screwing around with Mercedes, and Ferrari. What did they have to gain? Stroll had no time, and he certainly wasn't in play for a top 6 position. What they lost was an opportunity for Lance to gain some experience doing a hot lap on a less crowded track. Feel the same about Red Bull and Albon. What are these kids learning sitting in the garage?

He made it to Q3, and still people find reasons to denigrate... 

#332 30L

30L

• 145 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 16:07

Bad luck for LS here, Vet just went crazy and ruined his both their races, SP was quite good tho, holding Ver at the end.

#333 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 206 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 16:12

Sad to see Lance get Vettel'd when he was on course for a solid result. It would be nice if he continues his improved qualifying form next race.

#334 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,535 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 16:15

Great race from Perez!

The car is starting to deliver its pace in the tracks they used to go well, at least...

Edited by coppilcus, 10 September 2019 - 10:58.

#335 MNader

MNader

• 285 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 20:05

I have to say that even though Stroll has been outqualified every race this year til Monza, he has shown good performance in the races. I was expecting much worse. he has basically matched Perez, however both of them are actualy not good qualifiers and Stroll has not been close on Saturdays, which means he would probably suffer against a stronger teammate.

But Stroll, for being 20 years old, has justified his place on the grid for me so far this season, he has raced quite well. His Race in Germany being a standout. He is not a pay driver to me anymore.

#336 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,535 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 20:42

I have to say that even though Stroll has been outqualified every race this year til Monza, he has shown good performance in the races. I was expecting much worse. he has basically matched Perez, however both of them are actualy not good qualifiers and Stroll has not been close on Saturdays, which means he would probably suffer against a stronger teammate.

But Stroll, for being 20 years old, has justified his place on the grid for me so far this season, he has raced quite well. His Race in Germany being a standout. He is not a pay driver to me anymore.

“Match” and “both” are used quite loosely in your statement...

There’s a large difference between being beaten by a tenth than three or four tenths of a second in qualifying, like last year battle between Perez and Ocon, the former, and the battle between Perez and Stroll, the latter.

Also in race day. The current point difference is related with Stroll’s outlier at Germany than the actual performance from the Canadian on Sundays.

Stroll is the racing driver that the majorities portray?

No, he’s better, but this is not a tough battle for Perez...

#337 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,389 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 20:47

Stroll is not bad at all. Of course he's not the next Hamilton. He also got it easier than other drivers with daddy's cash, but he also gets a lot of bad things from people because of daddy's cash. He is solid and very close pace wise on race day. Perez is a damn good racer too, just not very liked by some people

#338 messy

messy

• 3,749 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 20:56

He hasn’t matched him. On a good day for Racing Point, Perez finishes sixth or seventh on merit and he’s done that less frequently in 2019, but still semi regularly. He’s also a Q3 contender every time out. RP seem to have gone down the traditional Force India route of improving after the summer break and Perez has started reaping those rewards, and I expect him to score heavily now to the end of the season. Stroll only really outqualified Perez at Monza because the latter had problems, and before that he’s been ahead in virtually every single session. Stroll lucked into a podium at Hockenheim and conspired not to actually finish on the podium anyway. A couple of nice, feisty drives to ninth place are all well and good but it’s easier to cut through the field when you’ve qualified out of position in a quicker car than the ones ahead.

I like his wheel to wheel confidence and I like his first lap feistiness, but he’s dog slow. And there are so many drivers who’d be more worthy of that seat IMO. Sorry.

Edited by messy, 09 September 2019 - 20:57.

#339 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 402 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 20:57

Yep, Stroll has not disgraced himself at all in my opinion.... his raceday mistake rate seems to be remarkably low.

I think he has the qualy speed in there, but needs more coaching to learn how to get it all to come together.

I was sorry for him at Monza, very unlucky vs Vettel there....

Advertisement

#340 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,389 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 21:01

I like his wheel to wheel confidence and I like his first lap feistiness, but he’s dog slow. And there are so many drivers who’d be more worthy of that seat IMO. Sorry.

dog slow? not really, come on...:)

#341 MNader

MNader

• 285 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 22:01

I think he did alright to be honest, for me, aside from Qualifying. Perez has not walked all over him. pace wise at least on Sunday he has been close. and I think Perez is a driver who is there on merit and a good racer.

Maybe Perez doesn't need to push so hard to beat Stroll, I don't know that. from the outside at least I see Stroll doing a good job. in the end he is only 20 years old, had a podium in Baku before and finished 4th in Germany and his cars had never been at any point at this level.

It could be however that this car could do much more in the hands of a stronger qualifier (than both) as it starts higher up in a tight midfield. 

#342 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:02

Interesting to note that some blame Stroll's effective starts on his poor qualifying, yet at Monza he made Q3, started 9th and still made up 2 places.

#343 sopa

sopa

• 12,128 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:04

There have been a few races, where Perez was impressive, but he finished 11th or something, because the car wasn't good enough. But that doesn't show on the scorecard. Stroll got unlucky at Monza, but then again it just somewhat balances the luck he had at Hockenheim, where he gained massive points despite being nowhere. Stroll isn't hopeless in races, there have been several fairly decent ones too. But overall he is not on level with Perez there, who is consistently strong in races.

#344 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:44

Both drivers were pretty racy today, though it didn't result in any points. Better luck next race.

#345 Collective

Collective

• 1,372 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 14:44

Both drivers were pretty racy today, though it didn't result in any points. Better luck next race.

Got the feeling that the pit wall was off this time. Was it absolutely necessary to respond to Kvyat's early stop, knowing he would have to face traffic eventually? Basically was a sentence to have destroyed tyres at the end. Pretty sure that if the mechanical issue hadn't happened, Checo would just have suffered Magnussen's fate and end up down in 14th/15th.

Then with Stroll, there was a small window where they could have pitted him and still come out ahead of Checo and Kvyat, with a not that large gap to Raikkonen with way fresher tyres. But no, they left him out for forever, and put him on the back of the grid. Then of course his mistake sealed the bad weekend, but they had costed the drivers a lot by then.

Edited by Collective, 23 September 2019 - 14:45.

#346 subh

subh

• 1,135 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:06

Another strong performance from Pérez in Russia.  So close to the top ten in qualifying, but it didn’t matter with the start he had.  I can see him moving up to ninth in the championship by the end of the season, although better than that might be difficult.  And surely Racing Point should be trying to target Renault’s fifth place.

#347 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 747 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:58

Does anyone know what happened to Stroll ? He was in front of Perez and ended up back in 11

#348 Eff1

Eff1

• 612 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 13:29

Does anyone know what happened to Stroll ? He was in front of Perez and ended up back in 11

Was wondering the same - one moment Perez was behind, I check the graphic and he’s ahead of Stroll and a Renault I think...

#349 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,163 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 13:33

nothing...when Riccardo overtook Perez he went for new tyres without loosing a position...and hunted them down...not that we got to see it live but there you go...

#350 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,466 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:06

nothing...when Riccardo overtook Perez he went for new tyres without loosing a position...and hunted them down...not that we got to see it live but there you go...

Then it seems he (Perez) got bounced off the track by Gasly and was re-passed by Hulk and Stroll. But .... they called the race a lap early, so he got the positions back. Can that possibly be right?