Photo
- - - - -

Alfa Romeo 2019: Kimi's back, Giovinazzi's back, Alfa's back (why?)

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 27,733 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:05

Post your non-technical ramblings and replies about Sauber's latest incarnation here. Possible avenues of discussion:

Kimi has already/only scored two points: how does this make you feel?

Is this a make-or-break year for Giovinazzi? (Or was that 2017?)

What is the Alfa Romeo team for? And are they punching above or below their weight?

Advertisement

#2 JeePee

JeePee

• 2,786 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:17

I think Kimi really enjoyed himself yesterday, and that this is what he hoped for when he signed: driving inside the pack full on. When you already have your wins/poles/championship and don't care/expect another one, racing like this is way more fun than knowing your end position after lap 1. I think he will be involved in lots of racing/overtaking this year with that tight midfield pack!

#3 messy

messy

• 3,527 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:46

Kimi did well, Giovinazzi disappointed me. Too early to draw any conclusions aside from those, really. 

I loved GIO in GP2. He was brilliant, proper feiry, feisty racing driver with a great eye for an overtake. How often did that yellow and black Prema car force itself up alongside the guy ahead for half a lap as he pulled himself up the order through sheer force of will? Unfashionable, slightly older Italian guy nobody talks about making people sit up and take notice. Even if, when Gasly got it all hooked up, he was probably the faster - he was in his third year at that level and had Red Bull all over him, so duh. Textbook 'moral champion' season. 

Since then I worry that he's kind of floated around as a reserve and doing simulator work for a bit long but we'll see. I'd love the #99 Alfa to be really competitive this season but have this nagging worry that Kimi is going to blow him away. 

This is my favourite team btw. I love both drivers, I love the car, the team, the fact it's now Alfa Romeo, think the car is a beauty.

Edited by messy, 18 March 2019 - 11:52.

#4 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:07

Kimi has already/only scored two points: how does this make you feel?

This makes me feel like you didn't watch the race or know how the points go in F1.

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 27,733 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:10

Why not both?

#6 Amin

Amin

• 510 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:14

Kimi did well, Giovinazzi disappointed me. Too early to draw any conclusions aside from those, really. 

I loved GIO in GP2. He was brilliant, proper feiry, feisty racing driver with a great eye for an overtake. How often did that yellow and black Prema car force itself up alongside the guy ahead for half a lap as he pulled himself up the order through sheer force of will? Unfashionable, slightly older Italian guy nobody talks about making people sit up and take notice. Even if, when Gasly got it all hooked up, he was probably the faster - he was in his third year at that level and had Red Bull all over him, so duh. Textbook 'moral champion' season. 

Since then I worry that he's kind of floated around as a reserve and doing simulator work for a bit long but we'll see. I'd love the #99 Alfa to be really competitive this season but have this nagging worry that Kimi is going to blow him away. 

This is my favourite team btw. I love both drivers, I love the car, the team, the fact it's now Alfa Romeo, think the car is a beauty.

I was surprised to see how far off the back of the main midfield pack he was in the first stint, but it now looks like Giovinazzi had damage from the very start, so I don’t think that’s indicative of his true pace. He did a good team job to keep Norris and the rest behind when the soft-runners made their pitstops and it was a good call by the team to keep him out, however he should’ve pitted as soon as Norris got by. Keeping him out another lap or two didn’t help anyone. The second stint was just about bringing a damaged car on a compromised strategy home.

I’m a Kimi fan, so obviously I want him to beat Gio, but I think he’s going to put up a much stronger challenge than this weekend would suggest. It reminds me of the first race of 2013 and the gap in performance between Kimi and Grosjean. 

#7 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:22

Why not both?

Well, I don't like to think the worst of my fellow posters. You have the benefit of doubt :)

#8 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,777 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:46

1245.png

#9 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,814 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 13:14

So I guess we can keep score in this topic.

AUSTRALIAN GP

Qualifying

Kimi: 9th

Antonio:14th

1 - 0

Race

Kimi: 8th

Antonio: 15th

1 - 0

Kimi: 4 (8th)

Antonio: 0 (15th)

#10 Oho

Oho

• 9,771 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 14:10

He did a good team job to keep Norris and the rest behind when the soft-runners made their pitstops and it was a good call by the team to keep him out, however he should’ve pitted as soon as Norris got by. Keeping him out another lap or two didn’t help anyone. The second stint was just about bringing a damaged car on a compromised strategy home.

Did Giovanazzi per chance have new or almost new hard's at his disposal? If not there really was no option but to keep him out and it was more like a lucky accident that it may have ended up helping Räikkönen. I am not even sure of that given how Norris who was on roughly similar strategy, unless I am mistaken, could have been more help containing late stoppers that put pressure on Räikkönen for the last 25? or so laps of the race.

Edited by Oho, 18 March 2019 - 14:51.

#11 Anja

Anja

• 3,983 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 14:32

1245.png

Here are some details on that: https://www.motorspo...tralia/4355237/

#12 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 4,587 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 14:41

Agree, I think Kimi only signed for Alfa so he can race against more cars again than just a Mercedes and a Red Bull. He probably believed it’s more fun in the midfield.

#13 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,034 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 14:44

Sauber have a key name in their org chart, Simone Resta. Had Marchionne not dispatched him there last May, Ferrari could have possibly won last year driver's championship. That the Sauber-Alfa is a good car is not a surprise here, improvements were clear in the second half of last year, iirc.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 27,733 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 16:12

See above

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 27,733 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 17:24

No, I just don't understand F1's points system. Give me another 10 years, it might sink in.

#16 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,814 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 15:55

If it was a different rider than Kimi we would already be hearing about how he overdrives the car  :lol:

Great ob so far by Kimi.

I'm sure Antonio will improve with few more races.

#17 barzini

barzini

• 1,845 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:06

If it was a different rider than Kimi we would already be hearing about how he overdrives the car  :lol:

Great ob so far by Kimi.

I'm sure Antonio will improve with few more races.

That goes without saying but who cares? Kimi having a very good start to the season, he seems to enjoy driving that Alfa.

This teammate battle might get pretty one sided this season.

#18 Trust

Trust

• 4,856 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:07

Kimi going beyond what theoretically car is capable of.

#19 anyeis

anyeis

• 1,449 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:11

Kimi going beyond what theoretically car is capable of.

He is making Q1 too difficult. Used to taking Q1 too easy

Advertisement

#20 Starish

Starish

• 1,370 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:12

Hopefully grosjean gets a deserved penalty and we start P8 and see how the race goes. Pace wise we are in the dark due to lack of running in FP2. Good recovery guys, we need to find some downforce the package needs refining. 

#21 barzini

barzini

• 1,845 posts

Haha, it must be old habits that you can just cruise past Q1 and Q2 :)

Kimi doing some Zeus-level stuff with that Alfa. 2nd or 3rd worst car twice into Q3! 

:Salute

#22 Trust

Trust

• 4,856 posts

I agree, but the still the end result is that he shouldn't be in Q3.

#23 GlueAndTar

GlueAndTar

• 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:13

Good show for Kimi, virtually without an FP2 and with the "least effort required" for Q1 & 2. Points are in the taking for tmw.

GIO's invisible again, but we'll see.

#24 lahill

lahill

• 397 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:26

Kimi 53 times in a row in q3. Kimi said that he got all out of the car in q

Edited by lahill, 30 March 2019 - 16:27.

#25 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,941 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:34

Kimi 53 times in a row in q3. Kimi said that he got all out of the car in q

Amazing from a driver that's past it, no motivation and not fast over one lap...

#26 Perfection

Perfection

• 566 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:47

in the end it was suprise thay could able to get that close to upper midfiled since at one point it looked Kimi wouldn't even get out of Q1 

#27 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,941 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:52

in the end it was suprise thay could able to get that close to upper midfiled since at one point it looked Kimi wouldn't even get out of Q1

Well it was similar at melbourne. Kimi just didn't get good second lap in q1 but his first was great.

Kimi said storm (sand?)is predicted tomorrow

#28 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 334 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:59

Yes, some weather concerns and also Kimi said quali result was maximum, even if they would have had fp2 probably no different result. Big question about racepace because they're going in totally blind.

I think this could be a funny race with the cars coming from behind (Renault and Toro Rosso) having better racepace than the cars in front (Haas, McLaren).

Let's hope the setup is somewhat decent and then Kimi will do a fine job of protecting the rears as always.

#29 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,814 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 18:04

Kimi starts P8 as Grosjean got a 3 places penalty.

#30 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,814 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:00

AUSTRALIAN GP

Qualifying

Kimi: 9th

Antonio:14th

1 - 0

Race

Kimi: 8th

Antonio: 15th

BAHRAIN GP

Qualifying

Kimi: 9th (started 8th due to a Grosjean penalty)

Antonio: 16th

2 - 0

Race

Kimi: 7th

Antonio: 11th

2 - 0

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kimi: 10 (6th)

Antonio: 0 (15th)

Alfa Romeo: 4th (10)

Edited by dreamer, 01 April 2019 - 06:45.

#31 Alexandros

Alexandros

• 2,067 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:03

Kimi 6th in WDC behind the two ferraris, two mercedes and Max  :smoking:

1 Valtteri BOTTAS Mercedes 44 PTS 
2 Lewis HAMILTON Mercedes 43 PTS 
3 Max VERSTAPPEN Red Bull Racing 27 PTS 
4 Charles LECLERC Ferrari 26 PTS 
5 Sebastian VETTEL Ferrari 22 PTS 
6 Kimi RÄIKKÖNEN Alfa Romeo 10 PTS 
7 Lando NORRIS McLaren 8 PTS 
8 Kevin MAGNUSSEN Haas 8 PTS 
9 Nico HULKENBERG Renault 6 PTS 
10 Pierre GASLY Red Bull Racing 4 PTS 

Edited by Alexandros, 31 March 2019 - 17:05.

#32 NickeF1

NickeF1

• 668 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:04

Ericsson to replace Gio in time for Europe.

#33 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:29

Hoping to see Giovinazzi in the points come China!

#34 Starish

Starish

• 1,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:29

Give the boy time, it took Charles some time to get up to speed and look at him. Would rather stick out with Gio he has more potential. Lets see how Mick does in the test maybe next year he could be an option but Gio is 2019 for sure. 

#35 skidmarkz

skidmarkz

• 63 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:49

Only two races in and the team has already collected over 50% of last season's points total. Nice.

#36 anyeis

anyeis

• 1,449 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:52

We would have to see how GIO would do if he started closer to Kimi. But getting out of Q1 pretty much means beating Kimi there

#37 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 1,840 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:56

Only two races in and the team has already collected over 50% of last season's points total. Nice.

Plus Kimi is leading the "best of the rest" race and thanks to his 10 points Alfa is also leading the midfield....

Hopefully Giovinazzi is also able to improve, at the end of the day he was 11th today, (although much thanks to Renault retirements)

#38 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 334 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 18:32

?

Last season Sauber had 48 points

But again very good race by Kimi. :up:  It's a shame we didn't get to see any of it. He was overtaken by Ricciardo early on, overtook Magnussen himself and was battling with Norris for more than 10 laps but instead we had to watch a cruising Mercedes or a limping Ferrari :down:

Edited by haryantofan666, 31 March 2019 - 18:35.

#39 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,725 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 18:57

https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be

Kimis overtakes today :up:

Advertisement

#40 skidmarkz

skidmarkz

• 63 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 19:06

?

Last season Sauber had 48 points

I heard that and thought it sounded impressive. Clearly I heard wrong lol

#41 DrF

DrF

• 2,556 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 22:38

https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be

Kimis overtakes today :up:

Alfa is definitely faster than Haas. Pity KMag is such a nutcase or we'd have been P6.

Good driving today. Some mistakes, including one which let a Renault through (but again KMag's aggressive driving had something to do with it)

RE kept asking about the FW. Was it damaged?

Edited by DrF, 31 March 2019 - 22:38.

#42 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 818 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 22:57

Alfa is definitely faster than Haas. Pity KMag is such a nutcase or we'd have been P6.

Good driving today. Some mistakes, including one which let a Renault through (but again KMag's aggressive driving had something to do with it)

RE kept asking about the FW. Was it damaged?

It looks like Kimi lost a tiny bit of the FW as he was passing Kevin but I doubt it was enough to make a difference. It looked like the Alfa really had issues on the medium tyre but since they had virtually no practice time they didn't know it was going to be an issue in fairness.  

#43 Beannie

Beannie

• 45 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:40

After 2 races, Alfa Romeo 4th in Constructor's standing and Kimi 6th in Driver's.  :up:

#44 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,793 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:26

Kimi did well once again. Nevertheless I felt a bit disapointed he didn't take Norris at the end because he was clearly faster. You have to take this opportunities to score bigger points in such a competitive midfield. The Alfa is near the opponents but I think its only the 7th [alonside Toro Rosso] best car out there. 

On the good side, he beated a much better Red Bull, two better HASS, one better Renault,  two more or less equal Toro Rossos [great double overtake BTW] apart from his team mate and was fighting a slightly better Mclaren. He's now best of the rest [in front of a Red Bull actualy] and has less point diference for Vettel after two races than in the previous 2 years  :)

#45 Anuity

Anuity

• 200 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:43

Nice race by Kimi. And his wheel to wheel racing is great as always.

#46 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 334 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:43

I think Gio did a good race. After 54/57 laps, just before the sc came out, he was 25s away from Kimi, which is very acceptable. Kimi always is extremely strong on raceday in Bahrain and started well in front. I think for a rookie without any long runs on Friday being only 0.4s per lap slower is a good effort.

#47 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,282 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:46

Kimi had a very strong race. Giovanazzi had a good one, bar his clash with Kvyat. Lucky to escape a penalty there and pretty clumsy driving in that turn

#48 proviz

proviz

• 536 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:48

Giovinazzi is the Ferrari incumbent in this team and after him the next one in line is probably Mick Schumacher.  The only way Rausing's money could ever bring Ericsson back to F1 is to replace Kimi. Just accept it, your hero will never be back in an F1 race seat as he never got one or held it on pure driving merit anyway.

#49 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,793 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:53

Nice race by Kimi. And his wheel to wheel racing is great as always.

It's interesting folowing his onboards: When drivng behind Norris and Ricciardo instead of going deep to fight a young rookie and an established but agressive driver he breaked earlier  up to turn 4 and let them do their thing because he knew it had a high chance of going wrong. Nothing happened but in case it did he would be close enought to take advantage and far enough to avoid it. 

Also he seems to be genuinly enjoying it. Scrapping and fighting in the midle of other crazy folks in an unpredictible order. He will have some accidents along the way, Kvyat, Pérez and Haas in general are around there.  :lol:

#50 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,744 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:20

Reading about Vettel's struggle with the new Ferrari's loose rear-end and the obvious pace of the car, I can't help thinking that Kimi still would be very competitive in it (similarly to the beginning of last year). Although I really enjoy his scraps in the midfield now, if only we would get to see more of it on TV.

Edited by Jovanotti, 01 April 2019 - 11:20.