* * * * - 4 votes

2019 Bahrain GP Buildup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1327 replies to this topic

#1301 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,321 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 22:16

How come Ham has more tyres than Bottas? Didn’t he use 2 sets in Q1 when Bottas did the same in Q2?

No, hamilton just did a extra lap in Q1 on that one set. Bottas, as Tom mentioned, went out on a 2nd set, but when the first people finished their laps without putting him in danger he went in again.

Advertisement

#1302 Mishvili

Mishvili

• 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 22:18

No, hamilton just did a extra lap in Q1 on that one set. Bottas, as Tom mentioned, went out on a 2nd set, but when the first people finished their laps without putting him in danger he went in again.

Ok thanks didn’t realise ham used the same set twice in Q1.

#1303 Lights

Lights

• 15,845 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 22:27

How is that simplistic? It´s his responsibility to make sure that he doesn´t block anyone. It is as simple as that. If you are driving that slow (he was driving slow), you better make sure nobody is coming up fast.

Sure, the team could and should have warned him. But it´s still Grosjean sitting in that car on the track... He needs to make sure he knows what´s happening, one way or the other.

It's no surprise in this case that Haas says Grosjean did nothing wrong because there was no radio call to him.

All teams have communication procedures in place for dealing with different types of traffic in qualifying. Drivers behave according to that.

That's why it's simplistic to just put it on Grosjean saying he should look in his mirrors.

Edited by Lights, 30 March 2019 - 22:38.

#1304 turssi

turssi

• 3,342 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 22:56

In the post qualifying interview Seb said that they found pace for the straights and I think in testing someone posted a gif on how the Ferrari changes its angle of attack or something on the straights. Is that their secret, is it legal and why it didn't work in Australia?

#1305 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 468 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 23:10

How is that simplistic? It´s his responsibility to make sure that he doesn´t block anyone. It is as simple as that. If you are driving that slow (he was driving slow), you better make sure nobody is coming up fast.

Sure, the team could and should have warned him. But it´s still Grosjean sitting in that car on the track... He needs to make sure he knows what´s happening, one way or the other.

It’s crazy that with all the smart people working in F1, they still don’t know how to detect quickly approaching cars.

In the lemans sports cars, the GTE cars have a system developed by Bosch and Corvette racing which has been sold to the other teams. A video screen that points out approaching vehicles.

I’m not saying F1 should use that system, but surely someone is smart enough to do it in software based on the GPS positions to alert slow moving cars to fast moving cars during practice and qualy

#1306 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 17,078 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 23:26

Ok thanks didn’t realise ham used the same set twice in Q1.

In previous years, teams have usually ran

Hot
Cool
Hot

But in both Australia and now Bahrain, Mercedes have been running

Hot
Cool
Cool
Hot

Not sure why exactly, probably to prepare the tyres, fully charge the battery and burn some fuel, but it's an interesting trend.

#1307 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,758 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 23:54

LeClerc vs Verstappen in race winnable cars soon, please F1.

Shades of Prost v Senna in style and temperament. I like.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 30 March 2019 - 23:55.

#1308 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,758 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 23:56

Leclerc did what I hoped for him to show in Oz, but the car did not permit it. He is an amazing talent. Ferrari never hire young guns, they just don't. When they chose Charlie ahead of Ricciardo, it was obvious that they believe him to be an alien, as they say in the Moto GP thread. And he is.

Well said 👍

#1309 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,758 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 23:59

He's not a rookie... he's done a whole season already...

Villeneuve was on pole for his debut at Australia 1996

Damon Hill was on pole in his 10th start at the French GP in 1993...

Hamilton scored his first pole in his 6th Grand Prix.

Leclerc is an impressive talent that is for sure, but he's not a rookie and what he's done is not especially 'unprecedented' or exceptional... He's a young, fast driver who has been put in a very fast car...

If he fights for the championship in only his second season, then it's exceptional and not the norm. Thats still very much a possibility.

#1310 Kao18

Kao18

• 3,234 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 00:06

Lerclerc..2nd race and he bags pole? :eek:...Unprecedented surely?

Max won his '1st' race. And that wasn't in the fastest or even second fastest car ;)

Edit: plus he had never driven that car before that weekend...

Edited by Kao18, 31 March 2019 - 00:10.

#1311 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,084 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 00:39

Vettel ALWAYS gets away with classless acts like that. It is just ridiculous.  :mad:

The unclassiest driver in F1 and by a margin. But what else is new?

#1312 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 468 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 00:41

Is anyone else hoping we get Kmags and Verstappen going at it? Not because I want to see Red Bull slow, but because I relish the thought of the two most difficult to pass drivers in the sport having a go at one another.

#1313 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 2,622 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:00

Clocks go forward this weekend, folks in the UK and Europe ! Starts 1610 and 1710 in the UK and Western Europe for the race.

#1314 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 468 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:41

Do teams typically run "party mode" down into turn 1? With track position so critical, and the start being one of the best places to overtake, would you want to do that?

#1315 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 3,203 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:31

If he fights for the championship in only his second season, then it's exceptional and not the norm. Thats still very much a possibility.

It's not the norm, but let's not forget the both Lewis and JV fought for the WDC in their first season in F1. I'm sure there are other examples too. I'll say that Charles did a brilliant job today, and has the potential to be a future great.

#1316 turssi

turssi

• 3,342 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 03:33

It's not the norm, but let's not forget the both Lewis and JV fought for the WDC in their first season in F1. I'm sure there are other examples too. I'll say that Charles did a brilliant job today, and has the potential to be a future great.

Could be a great now already.

#1317 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,758 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:40

Totally agree. As I have said elsewhere, I thought Leclerc had the quality, natural speed and strength between the ears to be an instant success at Ferrari. Very similar feeling to when Jacques and Lewis hit the scene. You don't get into a top car that quickly without being the real deal.

#1318 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 3,441 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:15

I never understood why didn't Vettel make a banker lap on a used set of sorts. His time would have probably only been good enough for 4th or 5th, but still, it would have mitigated the risk of something going completely wrong on his second attempt(a big mistake, red flag, etc).

Edited by Hellenic tifosi, 31 March 2019 - 05:16.

#1319 enjoyingRBR

enjoyingRBR

• 276 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:31

I expect ferrari struggles in longruns. Ver and Ham wil get close. Srategy will break ferrari. So 1 lecelrc 2, ver, 3ham

Advertisement

#1320 BRK

BRK

• 4,089 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:46

Holy ****! 1.5 weekends into the season and Leclerc is a future world champion and a great, 'better' than a 4-time champion and people are romanticizing about Max vs Leclerc as the future of F1. This has to count as insane by any definition!  :lol:

Edited by BRK, 31 March 2019 - 08:46.

#1321 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,321 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:59

I never understood why didn't Vettel make a banker lap on a used set of sorts. His time would have probably only been good enough for 4th or 5th, but still, it would have mitigated the risk of something going completely wrong on his second attempt(a big mistake, red flag, etc).

Both of his used soft tyres were flatspotted. So he only could have used a medium set (needs it for the race probably) or put extra laps on his start tyre.

Of course debatable if it was worth the risk, but it eventually worked out without compromising his race further.

#1322 P123

P123

• 15,140 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:02

Holy ****! 1.5 weekends into the season and Leclerc is a future world champion and a great, 'better' than a 4-time champion and people are romanticizing about Max vs Leclerc as the future of F1. This has to count as insane by any definition! :lol:

He's in a Ferrari. He's very quick. He's only 21. Unless you think Lance is more likely to be a future WDC then not sure where the Holy Shitness comes from in relation to the idea that CL has WDC potential, or that he'll be battling it out with Max in the future. I don't think anybody has suggested he is a 'great'. He has plenty years ahead of him to determine that.

In terms of proper laugh out loud stuff, we've go ta few people who no longer watch because Ferrari were slow in Melbourne quali. But do we believe them... :)

Edited by P123, 31 March 2019 - 09:03.

#1323 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 1,758 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:04

Holy ****! 1.5 weekends into the season and Leclerc is a future world champion and a great, 'better' than a 4-time champion and people are romanticizing about Max vs Leclerc as the future of F1. This has to count as insane by any definition! :lol:

What is insane about any of that? Nothing is set in stone but Charles looks pretty impressive two races in with Ferrari. Long way to go... but so far, so good for the kid.

The insanity was half this forum writing off Ferrari and gifting Mercedes both championships after Melbourne.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 31 March 2019 - 09:04.

#1324 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 1,270 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:05

People are excited by a young prospect that has been outqualified a 4x wdc by a margin (after being told not to attack him last race) there's nothing wrong with this :) he drove an excellent qualy session

Of course I agree we have to see him do it in the race, aswell as having the consistency to do it most weekends, but hell, what's wrong with a bit of excitement/speculation :)

Even though I personally believe that this increases the difficulty of Lewis getting the title this year , I am still buzzing to have another fast guy in a Ferrari (I may feel differently after he dominates the season lol)

#1325 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 872 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:10

btw race thread time?

#1326 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 5,824 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:11

btw race thread time?

Is that an announcement? :p

Edited by Ivanhoe, 31 March 2019 - 09:11.

#1327 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,472 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:36

Edit: Tom is on it

Edited by f1paul, 31 March 2019 - 09:39.

#1328 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,270 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:39

We have a race thread so we’ll move on to there now.