Photo

Tony Rudlin - Barcelona F2 1968

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:28

I've just had an interesting phonecall from former Team Lotus mechanic Beaky Sims. He has found a website called 'Those Were The Days' written by a guy called Tony Rudlin, who styles himself as a 'competitor, team manager, competitions manager and journalist'.  Beaky was really quite upset as the story of the F2 round that year in Barcelona seems to be around 90% pure fiction! For starters, it's stated that the team mechanics flew to Barcelona from England...they NEVER flew anywhere as they were too busy driving the transporters with the cars and all the gear in them! Beaky says that he has never heard of the guy.  Can anyone shed any light on this 'Tony Rudlin' guy? He seems to be a bit of fantacist.

Here's the link to the Barcelona story ; http://thosewerethed...elona-1968.html

Advertisement

#2 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 13:47

I know the name, but only because I was confused by some Amazon reviews of Doug's BRM books that insisted Tony Rudd was alive and well. It was only when the reviewer mentioned that Tony had been married to Ingrid Pitt that I googled my way to Tony Rudlin and the misunderstanding became clear.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 14:06

He wrote the book Mr Monaco: Graham Hill Remembered, which received a couple of nominations in the ‘Worst ever book on F1’ thread

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0850593573

#4 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,052 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 14:42

Article from 1978 ref British Caledonian sponsoring a play "Woman of Straw" in Brighton (30 Nov 1978):
"The deal was suggested to the airline by Tony Rudlin of Trip Film and Theatre Productions, whose wife Ingrid Pitt is one of the play's stars. Tony Rudlin was active in South American films and TV until three years ago and has presented one or two small tours in this country. He now feels he is in a position to offer attractive tie-ups to major commercial concerns and is negotiating with two other companies for future productions."

The Stage, 30 August 1979:

Both parties ended up "disappointed" with the outcome.

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 06 April 2019 - 14:53.

#5 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,658 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 15:30

He wrote the book Mr Monaco: Graham Hill Remembered, which received a couple of nominations in the ‘Worst ever book on F1’ thread

The sole Amazon review may be apposite: 'Came smelling moldy' (sic).

But look at Rudlin's Twitter profile....

Ex Lotus team manager/racing driver 1965-70 Editor Auto Race & Rally, Fastcar magazines.1967-1975. Pilot, 1975/82 Touring Theatre, Ingrid Pitt Festival 2013

...how much of this is true?!

#6 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,658 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 15:40

Another F2 'article' here:

https://www.thepitcr...th-tony-rudlin/

Gary, so Beaky is saying that, as far he is concerned, there never was a Tony Rudlin involved in the running of the F2 Lotus team?  If so, what a bizarre guy Rudlin must be. 

Perhaps we can persuade him to start posting here on TNF. Could be fun.  Pity the poor historian.......

#7 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,052 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 15:40

Conflict with being in South America?

Definitely an Argentina connection - 1978 film project ref Evita Peron - starring Ingrid Pitt (the Mrs who was/is German) and Anthony Quinn - did it ever get made?  

Could he have had some connection to the Temporada Series in 1969?

No sign of him in racingsportscars

Article by Tony Rudlin re F2 here "What it's all about": https://www.worthpoi...zines-513629288

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 06 April 2019 - 16:12.

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 15:42

Another F2 'article' here:

https://www.thepitcr...th-tony-rudlin/

Gary, so Beaky is saying that, as far he is concerned, there never was a Tony Rudlin involved in the running of the F2 Lotus team?  If so, what a bizarre guy Rudlin must be. 

Perhaps we can persuade him to start posting here on TNF. Could be fun.  Pity the poor historian.......

He has actually been here ...

#9 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,658 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 15:48

He has actually been here ...

Excellent. What 'handle' did he use? W. Mitty?

#10 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,052 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 16:02

See Post #7 above.

RGDS RLT

#11 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 16:23

Excellent. What 'handle' did he use? W. Mitty?

I'd rather not say. And he only posted once, almost ten years ago.

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 19:57

Any more input yet from Beaky, Gary?

#13 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 21:14

Yes he has spoken with Derek Wild & it turns out that Mr.Rudlin was the team manager for the Essex Aero Club team which ran Jackie Oliver as a 'semi' official Lotus entry....they had support from Lotus Components (I think) rather than Team. But where he gets 'my mechanics Beaky Sims and Carnoustie' from, heaven knows.

#14 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:22

I bought this book in period but never got round to reading it, just flicked through it and then forgot about it.

It was a Patrick Stephens production (annexed by Haynes later if I recall correctly) and you might have thought that this would have been reasonably OK but apparently not. My copy was signed by the author for what it is worth.

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 16:15

You didn't miss much, Paul.

PSL were - as you surmise - in the throes of being sold at the time, although not (then) to Haynes. Much to the surprise of just about everybody they ended up as part of the Thorsons Group, best known for alternative health and 'mind body spirit' titles. Thorsons later became part of HarperCollins, who in turn offloaded PSL to Haynes.

#16 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 17:35

Definitely an Argentina connection - 1978 film project ref Evita Peron - starring Ingrid Pitt (the Mrs who was/is German) and Anthony Quinn - did it ever get made?  

Apparently not. See the late Ms. Pitt filmography:

https://www.imdb.com..._1?ref_=nv_sr_1

#17 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,052 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 18:35

I suggest we invite Lord Brocket to investigate?

RGDS RLT

#18 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 20:35

Yes he has spoken with Derek Wild & it turns out that Mr.Rudlin was the team manager for the Essex Aero Club team which ran Jackie Oliver as a 'semi' official Lotus entry....they had support from Lotus Components (I think) rather than Team. But where he gets 'my mechanics Beaky Sims and Carnoustie' from, heaven knows.

He was 75 years old when he wrote that piece in May 2008, forty years after the event. So maybe it is just a matter of his memory playing tricks.

#19 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 20:36

If that's the case then it's a LOT of memory playing tricks!

Advertisement

#20 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:01

There’s worse to be found in some of the other articles on that web site: ‘Nikki Lauder’s Ferrari’, Fangio in a V18 BRM at Albi in 1963 (sic) etc etc. As ReWind suggested, he’s obviously someone who chooses to rely on an unreliable memory rather than checking things properly. Some of his stories are quite entertaining, though.

#21 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:51

@Gary C: I sent you a PM.

#22 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:56

Ahh, the famous V18 BRM :love: :love: What an intricate yet aesthetic piece of engineering! :clap:

Oh, no! NO!! Didn't we have one like him here already, the famous wotsisname... WALDO??? :stoned:

#23 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,658 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:54

Ahh, the famous V18 BRM :love: :love: What an intricate yet aesthetic piece of engineering! :clap:

The noise! I have a recording somewhere of that beautiful sound. At the time I think the car belonged to Keith Moon, or it may have been Ginger Baker. Test session at Lydden Hill I think. Competition Car gave away free cassettes.

#24 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:58

I remember the drawings of the engine, with the mobius strip timing belt... fascinating!!

#25 PS77

PS77

• 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:39

Hello , Tony Rudlin was my father , sadly he passed away a couple of weeks ago . I have been sorting through his things and have some lovely photos of him with Fangio and Graham Hill who was a good friend and I remember him in particular from my childhood and Jackie Oliver . Dad was a journalist covering the Grand Prix for La Razon newspaper and him and Bernie dabbled in a bit of racing . Bernie went onto .... well you know what ! And dad did a bit of team management for Lotus . He then went onto marry Hammer Horror actress Ingrid Pitt of whom Fangio was a big fan . Some of his stories are definitely written with an artistic flare and I was surprised to see he had written about flying to Barcelona as he had always told me how they drove down with the cars on trailers . Maybe an old mans memory getting muddled . Anyway he wasn’t perfect but he was there in the late 60s/ early 70s . Would be happy to upload some of his personal photo collection if anyone was interested . Thank You . Pippa

#26 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:45

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Pippa, and thank you for letting us know. Sincere condolences to you and your family, and all Tony’s friends.

I’m sure we’d love to see any of your father’s old photos, and any good stories you felt able to share. Very best wishes.

#27 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:30

Thank you Pippa.  I remember Tony as being a big affable bloke who occasionally contributed material to 'Motor Racing' when I was there in the mid-'60s...  He always had a deal in progress - or on the way - it seemed...

Condolences for his loss, sincerely

Doug

#28 PS77

PS77

• 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:46

Thank you and yes Doug I now have many of those magazines You mention also Auto Race and Rally which was his own magazine in the 60s .
I’ve also just found a cricket bat signed by Graham Hill! He lived his life as a bit of a chancer but also had a great life doing things he was passionate about and most of us would just dream of .
He was a pilot in the RAF too .
Just thought I’d balance the comments up a bit , I’m not offended at all . I think dad would agree too that Mr Monaco was a bit crap , problem was the book company wanted juice and gossip and womanising type of thing and dad didn’t want to upset Bette , he relented and did 1 chapter of which Damon didn’t really approve ( naturally ) . Bernie invited dad to his last Silverstone in 2016 and dad said he was amazed at how many people remembered and spoke to him , including Damon who was now cool about that chapter !
Thank you again for your replies . If I find a way to upload any photos etc I will ! Pippa

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 13:08

Postimage is your friend there...

Upload and then use the option, 'Hotlink for forums'.

#30 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 16:29

Thank you for your calm and very balanced response, Pippa. Prime sources are always the tops for information. We look forward to any further contributions, I am sure.
With my condolences for the loss of your father,
Roger Lund

#31 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 13:00

Lovely Getty Images photo of an apparently star struck Jackie Oliver sitting in his Shadow DN4 with Tony Rudlins wife Ingrid Pitt linked here :- https://www.gettyima...e=uop&sort=best

#32 Weaverbird

Weaverbird

• 35 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 23:59

I've only just found this thread, Pippa.  You'll remember that Tone and Ingrid were very special friends and lived close to me in Richmond.  Tony used to come to our office at Motor Race Consultants, usually unannounced, and hope to pick up some current gossip from the three if us (Peter Gaydon & Barry Bland).  He had a wonderful sense of humour.  Introduced me to Ingrid at Brands Hatch in '72 and we were friends ever since, through all their highs and lows and when they finally got married, I was a witness.  Have you got that great b&w framed photo of Fangio, signed to Ingrid - and the one of Graham Hill sticking up two fingers where he had written "To a couple of hustlers" love Graham.  After beautiful Ingrid died he was inconsolable and eventually moved to Hastings - but they are now buried together in East Sheen Cemetery.  Sorry Pippa - you know all this.  Haven't seen you for ages and hope all is well.  So glad you've got all that wonderful memorabilia.  If you ever want any of my personal pix of them both, I have hundreds!!     love, Sue

#33 PS77

PS77

• 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 12:44

Hello Sue , how lovely to read this from you . Dad and Ingrid thought the world of you and I have just found a photo of their wedding day with you in it . Lovely photo .
I have the Fangio picture and some really good candid Graham Hill ones plus all of dads original journalist reports on races in the 60s from all over the world . The originals hand typed ! I remember he use to have to Telex them to South America, my mother who was a fashion journalist for the same newspaper also did the same , every week ! A different world :)