* * * * - 3 votes

2020 IndyCar Silly Season Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2430 replies to this topic

#1 Anja

Anja

• 10,284 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:04

So what that the current season has only just begun? Why should it mean that we can't have the fun of (mostly baseless) speculating on how the next year's grid will look like?

Even without any "proper" rumours some talking points are already popping up. Is 2019 the last season for Pagenaud at Penske? Who could potentially replace him? Will Herta be promoted to the main Andretti team or will someone else snatch him up? Will McLaren and/or Alonso finally commit and enter a whole season? Let's hear all your crazy ideas. 

Edited by Anja, 09 April 2019 - 09:05.

Advertisement

#2 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:36

Although it hasn't been on clear display, Pagenaud has had pretty woeful luck so far this year. I'm hopeful he can turn things around -  the season is still young - and do enough to keep the seat.

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:43

I can only see McLaren+Alonso committing to a full season together next year if Alonso finishes top 5 at Indy, but doesn't actually win this year.

#4 Frood

Frood

• 9,208 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:18

I could possibly see a swap between Herta and Veach. Zach hasn’t had a great start to the season but I don’t think Andretti would want to drop him completely.

I could maybe see Marco moving into a part-time driver/owner role (as an expansion of this year’s co-ownership deal) a bit like Ed Carpenter so Veach might share that ride with him?

Edited by Frood, 09 April 2019 - 10:19.

#5 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:13

Did I hear that Veach had a 3-year contract at Andretti, or am I imagining things?  He certainly needs to overcome his shaky start to the season... I think as long as 1001/Gainbridge are behind him, he might be safe... and as long as he beats Marco! 

Not sure what would happen to the whole Harding/Steinbrenner deal if Herta went to Andretti.

McLaren will be a big joker - not just because of Alonso's possible full timing, but there's still that whole Dixon to McLaren thing out there.  Pato could be another candidate, given Carlin's association?

#6 Frood

Frood

• 9,208 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:40

It’ll also be interesting to see what happens at Rahal after Sato dominates the 2019 championship.

#7 Anja

Anja

• 10,284 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:47

Did I hear that Veach had a 3-year contract at Andretti, or am I imagining things?  He certainly needs to overcome his shaky start to the season... I think as long as 1001/Gainbridge are behind him, he might be safe... and as long as he beats Marco! 

I'm pretty sure a 3-year deal was indeed announced. 

#8 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:51

It’ll also be interesting to see what happens at Rahal after Sato dominates the 2019 championship.

0e3.png

#9 red stick

red stick

• 14,061 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:47

I can only see McLaren+Alonso committing to a full season together next year if Alonso finishes top 5 at Indy, but doesn't actually win this year.

So, likely then . . .

:cool:

#10 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 13:32

I don't think we'll see 24 cars again. Because the rise of the IndyCar is not a profoundly rise. We don't see a lot more sponsors come in. We don't see a third manufacture come in and so on.

#11 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,349 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 13:47

I don't see Pato or Colton staying with the same teams next year.  I think Veach is precarious, as is Simon Pagenaud, but unless McLaren really do commit to a full-time two car team, I think in the main it will be a shuffling of the current seats.

I think the biggest question is Rossi.  If he moves to Penske, then Veach might stay as a space opens up for either Colton or Pato, or maybe Simon gets that spot.  If he doesn't, then does Roger stick with Pagenaud due to the lack of visibly better drivers available?  I couldn't see him taking a flyer on either Pato or Colton.  Then again, he did sign Tracy twice, so who knows?

SPM might want to see more out of Hinch and Ericsson, but I think Hinch is safe because of Honda, and Ericsson may come good in the second half of the year.  

Chevy needs a second good team, and ECR haven't shown they're quite there yet, so maybe that would be the bigger push for McLaren to commit to a two-car team next year?  Or do they try to poach either SPM or Andretti?

#12 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 14:38

I am hoping that Chevy will push McLaren to enter full time, and offer according support.

Not sure Rossi would really leave Andretti for Penske?  It's so much talked about, but it's more of a lateral move, and Honda really want Rossi.

#13 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,349 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 14:58

I am hoping that Chevy will push McLaren to enter full time, and offer according support.

Not sure Rossi would really leave Andretti for Penske?  It's so much talked about, but it's more of a lateral move, and Honda really want Rossi.

Honda really want Rossi, but while Andretti has built itself up admirably over the past 20 years, Penske is still the biggest team in North American motorsport, and does have a mystique because of that.  So, while it in some respects is unlikely, I don't see it as outside the realm of possibility.  

#14 boomn

boomn

• 1,218 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 17:41

I don't see Herta going anywhere yet.  He has a close connection with Steinbrenner that goes back to when he was 12, they have Andretti engineering and dampers, and Brian Barnhart running things.  Unless one of those falls apart I think he is more likely to stay for now

If I was a betting man I would put the chances of a full Alonso season at 25%.  I'm an Alonso fan, but I just don't think it will happen.  But it is intriguing to think who could end up in McLaren.  If they do two cars and if O'Ward keeps showing promise then I could see him in a McLaren alongside a veteran. 

#15 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 19:45

I wonder why manufactures didn't go to IndyCar but to IMSA?

#16 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 20:57

I wonder why manufactures didn't go to IndyCar but to IMSA?

Cost/commitment less?

#17 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 14:45

I don't think IndyCar is more expensive than a season with Daytona Prototypes.

#18 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 16:01

I don't think IndyCar is more expensive than a season with Daytona Prototypes.

I think it is (the engine supply and marketing commitments add to the cost).  But also, Chevy and Honda are already in DPi (Caddy and Acura), while Mazda don't have any money to development an IndyCar program, but do have enough cash to keep throwing 3-4 million at AER to keep updating the same 2 litre motor for the last 15 years.  And Nissan just used the GT3 motor out of their GT-R, so didn't really have to spend anything (which also reflected the results).

DPi is pretty cheap as a set of custom LMP bodywork and a GT2/GT3 motor can get you in the show (5-10 million tops, quick and dirty).  IndyCar requires a commitment to do a custom engine, and then a season's supply of that engine for 10 cars, plus paying a chunk of cash to IndyCar to support the marketing side.

That's 30-40 million total, last I heard.

#19 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:20

Can we start a #hashtag to get Mark Miles to talk to Potrero de los Funes about an Argentine round?
bss-san-luis-2010-lago-potrero-de-los-fu

https://www.youtube....h?v=pkHs0zyGhCI

Even if it's non-championship, JUST IMAGINE! :love: 

Advertisement

#20 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:43

I'm all for it... start in Surfer's Paradise, then head to Argentina and Mexico City before St. Pete kicks off the US season... (provided there isn't a good option for a spring date in Japan...)

#21 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:29

South-American double-header, endorsed by O'Ward?

#PATO4POTRERO

#22 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,349 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:42

If IndyCar were to ever really do what CART nearly did, and become a proper F1 rival, that would be a great idea.  But as it stands, it'll never happen outside videogames.  Maybe if the stars aligned, manufacturers saw common sense; and Super Formula and IndyCar ran the same rules, we could see something like this happen.

But sadly, back here on fragmented, badly run planet Earth, we're going to have to enjoy what we have.

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 16:32

South-American double-header, endorsed by O'Ward?

#PATO4POTRERO

He's from North America.

#24 Frood

Frood

• 9,208 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:53

It's about the time of year when the annual random Baltazar Leguizamon rumours resurface, isn't it?

#25 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:50

He's from North America.

Kinda.

It was mainly about the alliteration. I needed a P or an F.

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 14:17

Kinda.

It was mainly about the alliteration. I needed a P or an F.

I get what you're doing but he's from Mexico, which is well inside the North American continent. Latin America? Yes.

#27 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 16:01

I forgot where I read it, but it was a mention of IndyCar and Super Formula putting their heads together (just speculation, not actual intent as of yet) to come up with the same rules set (kinda like DTM and SuperGT) - good idea?  Bad idea?  Discuss.

#28 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 16:43

If that entails Super Formula using the current road course spec IndyCar, then sure!   ;) More seriously, I'm very happy with the car as it is in IndyCar, and wouldn't like to see the progress made in recent years thrown away for an awkward compromise.

#29 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 16:45

I guess one immediate benefit could be that Toyota engines would be available to IndyCar.  Also would be interesting if any of the Japanese teams would make an attempt at running the Indy 500...

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 20:18

I suppose with Dallara building the cars for both series a common platform would be possible. Though personally I’d rather see Dallara’s stranglehold on the single seater market reduced. Unfortunately chassis competition tends to get too expensive.

It would be great to have a larger pool of engines to choose from of course.

#31 prommer

prommer

• 4,951 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 20:42

A few years ago, was it Mugello that we were thinking might have some Barber-esque magic about it if ran Indycars?

Anyone remember that, when Indycar was spotted checking out Vallelunga, and then all of a sudden Mugello got interested, and lo and behold Imola and Monza were putting out statements that Indycar could only possibly race there, etc., etc. And then of course nothing came of it (I feel it was a year or two after the China race was dumped, so Indycar was way too touchy about adding foreign races (and then the Brazil debacle(s) didn't help things). But it was exciting for a few weeks.

#32 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,349 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 23:16

An Indycar/Super Formula common chassis would be a great move, giving a larger market for Dallara and maybe some economies of scale. I can’t see it untill 2022 and the new car, but that would require massive changes to the rules. Super Formula run common engines with Super GT (and now DTM), and Honda and Chevy rejected the idea of 2.0 litre, 4 cylinder turbos in the past, so a common chassis would require one side to radically change engine rules. And it would be pretty expensive to get those Super GT motors up to 900hp.

Still, it would be awesome.

#33 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,799 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 14:03

Can we start a #hashtag to get Mark Miles to talk to Potrero de los Funes about an Argentine round?
bss-san-luis-2010-lago-potrero-de-los-fu

https://www.youtube....h?v=pkHs0zyGhCI

Even if it's non-championship, JUST IMAGINE! :love: 

They've been talking to El Villicum

#34 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,142 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:23

Alonso will leave WEC after Le Mans, let's prepare for months of speculation about him joining IndyCar full season. :stoned:

#35 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:41

I'll buy a 1st class reserved seating ticket for that hype-train, thankyou!

Realistically though, not gonna happen. I can't see him doing more than the 500 and the odd race (probably oval) in the future. From everything he's said when pressed, I just don't think he wants to live in a Winnebago trundling around the US for 6 months a year when his life is in Spain. 

#36 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 14:55

I'll buy a 1st class reserved seating ticket for that hype-train, thankyou!

Realistically though, not gonna happen. I can't see him doing more than the 500 and the odd race (probably oval) in the future. From everything he's said when pressed, I just don't think he wants to live in a Winnebago trundling around the US for 6 months a year when his life is in Spain.

Given the amount of time Max Chilton seems to be back in the UK during a season, I don't think you have to actually spend that much time in the US.

But that's just an aside.

#37 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,551 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 15:25

Given the amount of time Max Chilton seems to be back in the UK during a season, I don't think you have to actually spend that much time in the US.

But that's just an aside.

I don’t think Max Chilton should be the role model for anything in IndyCar.

#38 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 510 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 16:10

Alonso will leave WEC after Le Mans, let's prepare for months of speculation about him joining IndyCar full season. :stoned:

He is certainly keeping his options open, including Indycar!

“I feel strong and ready for big challenges. It can be Formula 1 in 2020, it can be IndyCar. It can be different series outside all of this.“

https://www.crash.ne...ter-short-break

#39 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,349 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 16:43

I wonder if Toyota wants him to do Super GT to get some star power against Jenson Button?

Advertisement

#40 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 18:34

Dragonspeed confirmed to Dailysportscar that they are canning their WEC LMP1 program after Le Mans and diverting resource to the IndyCar programme. So, seems like a full season, maybe even 2 cars?

#41 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,888 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 23:58

Dragonspeed confirmed to Dailysportscar that they are canning their WEC LMP1 program after Le Mans and diverting resource to the IndyCar programme. So, seems like a full season, maybe even 2 cars?

One would hope so. I would guess 10-ish races.

#42 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,142 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 00:40

McLaren is doing horribly at Indy.

1. It makes them more likely to buy SPM like recent rumor suggested.

2. It makes them more likely to drop IndyCar completely.

3. It doesn't change things.

What do you think?

#43 paulb

paulb

• 11,182 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 00:52

They would be gutless if they were to drop Indycar because they failed to make the big show.

#44 red stick

red stick

• 14,061 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:04

2. It makes them more likely to drop IndyCar completely.
3. It doesn't change things.

What do you think?

Depends on how many people beyond Zac Brown are interested in expanding McLaren's footprint in North America. If he retains the board's support, then 1. If not, I'd suspect 2, and refocusing all efforts on F1. But if this truly becomes a (bigger) faceplant, I don't think 3 is an option.

Edited by red stick, 19 May 2019 - 01:06.

#45 FLB

FLB

• 29,568 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:16

Gil de Ferran wasn't exactly successful as a team manager with Honda (and Nick Fry).

#46 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:44

If anything, McLaren is failing at Indy BECAUSE they didn't run more races.  If they had a car running for the beginning of the season (not even necessarily with Alonso), they could have much better familiarized themselves with the vehicle, engine, bits and pieces, nuances, etc. and work together as a team before hand - even though they weren't oval races.  Look at what DragonSpeed did!   :up:  :up:  :up:

Hindsight is great, but if I were McLaren, I would have snapped up Pato after he was dumped by Harding, and ran the youngster to get the team situated before heading to the big show.

Edited by maximilian, 19 May 2019 - 01:45.

#47 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 18:10

What are these rumours about? Never heard of that. Any link?

#48 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:33

It was mentioned and discussed by Robin Miller and the broadcast crew on NBC Sports Gold during Indy Practice this past week.  I haven't seen anything seriously written about it as of yet.  Sam Schmidt denies it, but Robin Miller usually has his finger on the pulse, and there seemed to be something up, even though he classed it as "not yet, but..."

#49 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,048 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 17:47

And Pippa is driving for them...
Jp

#50 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,610 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 22:58

It was mentioned and discussed by Robin Miller and the broadcast crew on NBC Sports Gold during Indy Practice this past week.  I haven't seen anything seriously written about it as of yet.  Sam Schmidt denies it, but Robin Miller usually has his finger on the pulse, and there seemed to be something up, even though he classed it as "not yet, but..."

Did they mention that the McLarens sported Arrow logos for the first time at Barcelona?