* * * * - 3 votes

2020 IndyCar Silly Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#751 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,492 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 19:31

Yeah that's a beautiful blue. Stick some Gauloises stickers on that sumbitch. 

Advertisement

#752 Beri

Beri

• 1,473 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 20:26

That green Menards Quaker State livery Cheever drove in 1996.. that one must be one of my favourite liveries. Aside from the Energized Target liveries by CGR late 90s.

Special mention to the Lola Bud car Rahal drove in the 80s tho.

Edited by Beri, 05 September 2019 - 20:29.

#753 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 23:51

RC Enerson's car isn't a livery, it's just a blue car  :wave:

As for cool liveries, Bourdais' SealMaster livery is a real beauty!  :love:

#754 Peat

Peat

• 4,419 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:36

It is a Lola, but it's not the 1998 car. Mirror placement and particularly the stepped sidepod upper surface indicate it's a later model. That feature was introduced in 2001. The nose and front win mount are not the raised type adopted by Lola in 2002.

So it must be a 2001 B01/00, as run by Ganassi, Newman/Haas, Rahal, Bettenhausen, Sigma and Arciero.

Ah yes, i stand corrected. 

I couldn't find any images of the Lola with flat-plane front wing pre-98, but you doth provide. 

#755 king_crud

king_crud

• 4,229 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:03

For current liveries i think Sato looks the best, metallic blue is always a winner. Also Rahal makes his various different race sponsors look good, they seem to be the only one who really use the car side pods to full advantage, the way Total goes up the side and over the top.

The worst is Spencer Pigot, the sponsor looks like it was slapped on last minute but it's been that way all season

#756 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,034 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:48

I was always partial to the Strike livery run by Newgarden at ECR.

C7862-D8-B-FB95-4986-8-E2-C-3-D25-AB04-E

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 06 September 2019 - 12:52.

#757 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,610 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 13:01

I was always partial to the Strike livery run by Newgarden at ECR.

C7862-D8-B-FB95-4986-8-E2-C-3-D25-AB04-E

Jp

Looks like Pepsi.

#758 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 13:05

YES to that Strikegarden one!  I also always liked this WIX scheme:

2018-INDY-500-CD-No.-24.jpg

#759 Frood

Frood

• 3,538 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 14:35

The Wix livery would be nice without the fluorescent green flashes.

And it’s association with Karambolage.

Advertisement

#760 rghojai

rghojai

• 850 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 15:01

its

IndyCat is serious about grammar and punctuation.

o9E0mmT.jpg

#761 Peat

Peat

• 4,419 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 15:03

The Wix livery would be nice without the fluorescent green flashes.

Yes, they only appeared part way through the month. The spotters were having a hard time picking him out at distance.

#762 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 916 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 16:17

I was always fond of theGil de Ferran's 1998 Valvoline-sponsored car for Walker racing.  Bourdais' Centrix car for Newman-Haas at Indy in 2005, and Townsend Bell's 2008 William Rast-sponsored car were also well done.

#763 Anja

Anja

• 4,134 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 16:24

YES to that Strikegarden one!  I also always liked this WIX scheme:

I wonder why other teams don't ever paint the front floor section like DRR did. It's a nice effect. 

#764 loki

loki

• 5,824 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 21:38

Yes, they only appeared part way through the month. The spotters were having a hard time picking him out at distance.

Should be pretty easy to pick out of the pack.  He’s the one running into all the other cars.

#765 Beri

Beri

• 1,473 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 21:46

Sage seem to have driven some nice liveries. Since I've been following the show since it first aired, I am obliged to share you.. this..

Sage-Karam-Gas-Monkey-Garage-Indycar-Pho

#766 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,114 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 21:54

That was a nice livery for Radio Controlled Enerson.

Man, it's obviously entirely innocent over in the States but over here there's no way anyone would voluntarily go by the name "Arsey".

There's a member who only frequents TNF motorcycle sub section called Arsey 30, It's a play on Honda's RC30

#767 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,034 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 00:19

The British... y’all are so ashamed by your lower body parts.
Yet incorporate them in almost every sentence.

I’ve yet to get it.... even after living there since ‘78

Jp

#768 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:40

Sage seem to have driven some nice liveries. Since I've been following the show since it first aired, I am obliged to share you.. this..

Sage-Karam-Gas-Monkey-Garage-Indycar-Pho

It's as if that team has cornered the market on florescent green paint.    ;)

#769 king_crud

king_crud

• 4,229 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:41

Jp

Not just human body parts, also animals. You could say it's the dogs bollocks

#770 Luca Pacchiarini

Luca Pacchiarini

• 630 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:20

72267.jpg?itok=Kb7YCmPq

YES

Is there any other livery that gives you the chromatic impression of a sunset on the sea?

Edited by Luca Pacchiarini, 07 September 2019 - 10:53.

#771 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 16:15

For those keeping track, Alonso sees 2021 as his earliest possible return to F1 while he eyes his next Indy 500 attempt.

https://racer.com/20...return-in-2020/

#772 PedroDiCasttro

PedroDiCasttro

• 1,577 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 16:19

Alonso should do a full season at IndyCar, not only the Indy 500. How does he expect to win it by not racing regularly in that car? It really baffles me.

#773 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,038 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:59

its

IndyCat is serious about grammar and punctuation.

o9E0mmT.jpg

Aaaah but how does IndyCat know it wasn't 'association' being used in error, instead of 'associated'?

#774 McLaren1702

McLaren1702

• 137 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:37

Alonso should do a full season at IndyCar, not only the Indy 500. How does he expect to win it by not racing regularly in that car? It really baffles me.

He's currently in Monza. Perhaps Zak Brown can convince him to do it. I mean, it's not like there are many other options for next year. The Dakar's done by mid-January. I still think we might be in for a surprise :)

#775 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,492 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:41

New Rule. We only give Alonso free airtime when he drives something. 

#776 Frood

Frood

• 3,538 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:02

New Rule. We only give Alonso free airtime when he drives something. 

Exactly. He drives most of us crazy with his "will-he-won't-he" antics so he'll get all the airtime in the world.

#777 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:26

Jp

I blame the Prince of Wales, the most (in)famous practitioner of the art of wishing he could incorporate himself into a lower body part.

While we're on the topic:

Q: What does Barber Motorsports Park founder George Barber have in common with a lower body part?
A: He's a dairy heir.

Edited by red stick, 08 September 2019 - 18:59.

#778 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,375 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:54

So... how about that Silly Season? They have loads of off-season to work out deals though. 

#779 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 14:05

So... how about that Silly Season? They have loads of off-season to work out deals though. 

With Rossi staying at Andretti and Herta evidently becoming a fifth Andretti entry, probably with Steinbrenner, I guess all eyes are on SPM.  Wither Hinch?  And where will Ericcson take his backing?

Advertisement

#780 prommer

prommer

• 2,370 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 18:24

Did someone say SILLY?

How about RHR retires, Alonso to Andretti with DHL backing?

I'm going to keep using this thread as my personal vision board until all of my dreams come true.

#baselessrumourmongering

#781 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 20:24

#baselessrumourmongering

Don't make me tell another "joke" . . . ;)

#782 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 865 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 22:08

Good Afternoon all,

Went by Richmond today and  grandstands are all reserved seating except for a small section in turn 4(the party deck) .  Row 1- 15 (lowest rows) are $30  , row 16 and up are 40.  if you are bringing a child check with the track  to see what age they qualify for the $10  ticket.     

The Infield pass is $30   with children getting in for $10    ( Imagine that  a child getting in with a grandstand ticket AND an infield pass for a $20 total !!, to me that seems  an absolute steal) Plus they said they can hold a couple thousand in the infield , so  that may make things very interesting  if a lot of kids do show up. Also  if you charge  there are service fee and since they dont have tickets and if you want them mailed to you there will be a $ 2  mail fee.

At this point the infield pass is only good for Saturday's action  , but they are attempting to put together something for Friday as well so perhaps those tickets  can be used on friday. So we shall see  since we are still early in the planning stages.   I believe the March 2020 test session for all the teams  will provide the final plans the track and Indy car have have in place come June 2020.

Hope this info helps 

Paul

#783 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,034 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 22:34

Thanks for the detailed reporting Paul.
I looked at the website but there’s nothing like feet on the ground.
https://www.richmond...dyCar-2020.aspx

Of course this link was the one that I clicked on...
https://www.richmond...ospitality.aspx

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 10 September 2019 - 01:23.

#784 prommer

prommer

• 2,370 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:13

That is an absolute bargain!

#785 loki

loki

• 5,824 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:20

And where will Ericcson take his backing?

Williams...

#786 teejay

teejay

• 5,696 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:33

Williams...

Latiffi and his more money is a done deal it seems. 

#787 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 5,293 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 13:31

I blame the Prince of Wales, the most (in)famous practitioner of the art of wishing he could incorporate himself into a lower body part.

While we're on the topic:

Q: What does Barber Motorsports Park founder George Barber have in common with a lower body part?
A: He's a dairy heir.

took me way too long to get that one  :stoned:

#788 boomn

boomn

• 325 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:15

Felipe Nasr has been confirmed as staying full-time in IMSA next year at Action Express.  So scratch that name off the list for Indycar in 2020 :(

#789 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:06

Surprised to see that so early in the silly season, I expected Nasr to be a player - but maybe the McLaren deal put a spanner in the works for that relationship.

#790 rghojai

rghojai

• 850 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 16:14

Aaaah but how does IndyCat know it wasn't 'association' being used in error, instead of 'associated'?

IndyCat knows.

zZd7o2v.jpg

#791 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:57

Good Afternoon all,

Went by Richmond today and  grandstands are all reserved seating except for a small section in turn 4(the party deck) .  Row 1- 15 (lowest rows) are $30  , row 16 and up are 40.  if you are bringing a child check with the track  to see what age they qualify for the $10  ticket.     

The Infield pass is $30   with children getting in for $10    ( Imagine that  a child getting in with a grandstand ticket AND an infield pass for a $20 total !!, to me that seems  an absolute steal) Plus they said they can hold a couple thousand in the infield , so  that may make things very interesting  if a lot of kids do show up. Also  if you charge  there are service fee and since they dont have tickets and if you want them mailed to you there will be a $ 2  mail fee.

At this point the infield pass is only good for Saturday's action  , but they are attempting to put together something for Friday as well so perhaps those tickets  can be used on friday. So we shall see  since we are still early in the planning stages.   I believe the March 2020 test session for all the teams  will provide the final plans the track and Indy car have have in place come June 2020.

Hope this info helps 

Paul

And this today from Robin Miller's Mailbag on RACER.

I purchased six seats for the Richmond race last night. I was very surprised to see a sizeable majority of the “sweet seats” (Commonwealth and Capital stands, rows 20+, closest to start/finish line) unavailable for purchase. Is this a result of management’s intent to reserve those seats for 2020 season ticket (NASCAR) holders? Did I pull the trigger on lower seats prematurely?

Mark, Woodbridge, VA

RM: First off, Richmond wants to make the return all about IndyCar so it’s going to have a Friday night practice session and then have qualifying (and more practice) on Saturday. It’s a little throwback to the old USAC era of one-day shows, and I think support races could be in play down the road, but I know Dennis wants to try this format to see how it’s received.

As for tickets, season ticket-holder renewals were sent out before the IndyCar deal was done and Richmond could not put their tickets up for sale without giving them the opportunity to add the IndyCar race to their season ticket package. Bickmeier has communicated to their season ticket holders that they can add this race during the renewal process, which ends on November 1. Once they are done with renewals and know which season ticket holders added the IndyCar race, then those seats will be released. Richmond says it will also give early IndyCar purchasers the opportunity to relocate, as that is fair to them based on their early commitment, so it sounds like you can move if you chose. Thanks for supporting IndyCar.

Do we need to see about getting a block of seats?

#792 rghojai

rghojai

• 850 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 19:26

There must be haiku
Created to acknowledge
Il tamponcino

#793 paulb

paulb

• 6,724 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 22:00

And this today from Robin Miller's Mailbag on RACER.

I purchased six seats for the Richmond race last night. I was very surprised to see a sizeable majority of the “sweet seats” (Commonwealth and Capital stands, rows 20+, closest to start/finish line) unavailable for purchase. Is this a result of management’s intent to reserve those seats for 2020 season ticket (NASCAR) holders? Did I pull the trigger on lower seats prematurely?
Mark, Woodbridge, VA

RM: First off, Richmond wants to make the return all about IndyCar so it’s going to have a Friday night practice session and then have qualifying (and more practice) on Saturday. It’s a little throwback to the old USAC era of one-day shows, and I think support races could be in play down the road, but I know Dennis wants to try this format to see how it’s received.
As for tickets, season ticket-holder renewals were sent out before the IndyCar deal was done and Richmond could not put their tickets up for sale without giving them the opportunity to add the IndyCar race to their season ticket package. Bickmeier has communicated to their season ticket holders that they can add this race during the renewal process, which ends on November 1. Once they are done with renewals and know which season ticket holders added the IndyCar race, then those seats will be released. Richmond says it will also give early IndyCar purchasers the opportunity to relocate, as that is fair to them based on their early commitment, so it sounds like you can move if you chose. Thanks for supporting IndyCar.

Do we need to see about getting a block of seats?

I would participate in that.

#794 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 13:43

Looking at Richmond seats, and having never been to an oval, I'm assuming you'd want to be as high up as possible.  Is it better to be in Commonwealth seats closer to the start/finish line (A,B,C,D) or in the next section over, Commonwealth E, F, G, etc., where you can get slightly higher?  Or are the sight lines in the higher seats in E, F, G, etc., compromised by the lower sections nearer start/finish?  Any advice appreciated.

#795 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 865 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 00:17

Hi Red,

At Richmond the sun will  set between turn 3 &4  so anything past Veranda into turn 1 or turn 2    will have the sun in your eyes for the early part of the race.

Since most years i stayed  in the infield  during races ( i shouldnt have been there, a kindly usher let me and few others quietly stay), about the only advice about seating  i can give is this .

If you wanna see them come thru turn 3 and 4 and race towards the line then seating in the Captial stands will be best.

However if you wanna see them coming off turn 4 and get to the line & see  action in turns 1 & 2 then  the Commonwealth stands would be the way to go.  The one thing i cant answer if if the new fan tower in the infield blocks and views from the grandstand. Perhaps watching footage of the Nascar race from the spring or nest weekend (20th) may help.

More than likely  i'll be down in the infield fan section most of the race  since i love being close to the action as possible. But i will agree the 1st year back will be an experiment  for all concerned..

With that said i do have a question:     I there much contact between AtlasF1 and other racing forums?  The reason i ask is  that  over at 'track forum" there are also posts being posted , that might help folks here thinking of coming  next June.   My Appology if mentioning  other forums is not allowed here.

Paul

Edited by Lemnpiper, 13 September 2019 - 00:18.

#796 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:19

Lemnpiper:
This is Chez Indycar... you can say whatever you want.

Jp

#797 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 14:07

Hi Red,

At Richmond the sun will  set between turn 3 &4  so anything past Veranda into turn 1 or turn 2    will have the sun in your eyes for the early part of the race.

Since most years i stayed  in the infield  during races ( i shouldnt have been there, a kindly usher let me and few others quietly stay), about the only advice about seating  i can give is this .

If you wanna see them come thru turn 3 and 4 and race towards the line then seating in the Captial stands will be best.

However if you wanna see them coming off turn 4 and get to the line & see  action in turns 1 & 2 then  the Commonwealth stands would be the way to go.  The one thing i cant answer if if the new fan tower in the infield blocks and views from the grandstand. Perhaps watching footage of the Nascar race from the spring or nest weekend (20th) may help.

More than likely  i'll be down in the infield fan section most of the race  since i love being close to the action as possible. But i will agree the 1st year back will be an experiment  for all concerned..

With that said i do have a question:     I there much contact between AtlasF1 and other racing forums?  The reason i ask is  that  over at 'track forum" there are also posts being posted , that might help folks here thinking of coming  next June.   My Appology if mentioning  other forums is not allowed here.

Paul

Thanks.   Much to think about.  I never think of Track Forum, so I'll have to take a look.

#798 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,228 posts

Posted Today, 10:22

⚡@SPMIndyCar president @Jon_Flack has stepped down from his position with the team, in an exec shakeup ahead of the forthcoming @McLarenIndy partnership.

➖ SPM confirmed the move to SBJ and said it "thanks Jon for his service, commitment and everything he has accomplished." https://t.co/xAAPFcGNZo

'@Jon_Flack, who grew SPM's deal with Arrow and helped get McLaren, said: "I joined SPM with a mission to grow the revenue of the company, build the value of the brand and lay a solid foundation for the future. We have made significant progress on all three of those objectives." https://t.co/wOQZGyAudo

Edited by Joseki, Today, 10:22.

#799 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,541 posts

Posted Today, 14:01

So what does this mean in plain English ?
He fell out with Schmidt and Peterson or with McLaren ?

Advertisement

#800 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,228 posts

Posted Today, 15:51

A few key figures of SMP will leave the team as McLaren assumes control of the team.