So to sum up: Very much unknown still:

Josef Newgarden (Penske-Chevrolet)

Simon Pagenaud (Penske-Chevrolet)

Will Power (Penske-Chevrolet)

Alexander Rossi (Andretti-Honda)

Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti-Honda)

Zach Veach (Andretti-Honda)

Marco Andretti (Andretti/Herta-Honda)

Colton Herta (Andretti/Harding/Steinbrenner-Honda)

Scott Dixon (Ganassi-Honda)

Felix Rosenqvist (Ganassi-Honda)

Marcus Ericsson (Ganassi-Honda)

Takuma Sato (Rahal-Letterman-Lanigan-Honda)

Graham Rahal (Rahal-Letterman-Lanigan-Honda)

Sébastien Bourdais (Coyne/Vasser/Sullivan-Honda)

James Hinchcliffe (McLaren/Schmidt/Peterson-Chevrolet)

Ed Carpenter (Carpenter-Chevrolet)

Tony Kanaan (Foyt Chevrolet)

Unsure:

2nd Coyne car: Santino Ferrucci?

2nd McLaren car: Felipe Nasr?

2nd Carpenter car: Rinus VeeKay?

2nd Foyt car: Matheus Leist?

1st Carlin car: Max Chilton (road courses), Charlie Kimball (ovals)?

2nd Carlin car: Conor Daly?

Possible

3rd Rahal Letterman Lanigan car: Spencer Pigot?

Part-time entries:

Jack Harvey (Meyer/Shank-Honda)

Ben Hanley (DragonSpeed-Chevrolet)

Possible Part-time entries:

Kyle Kaiser (Juncos)?

Pippa Mann (Clauson-Marshall)?

Advertisement

#952 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,917 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 14:19

Hinch won't be at SPAM next year, he had a falling out with Arrow. Possibly in 3rd RLL car.

#953 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 14:37

Unsure:

4th Ganassi car:  Oliver Askew (partial season?)

Possible

3rd Rahal Letterman Lanigan car: Spencer Pigot?  Hinchcliffe?

Part-time entries:

Kyle Kaiser (Juncos)?

Also, I believe Leist is officially out of Foyt at this time, and Nasr is unlikely at McLaren SPM.

Another twist, while we're considering, is that RHR and Veach are in the last years of their contracts at Andretti, so cue up the possibilities as drivers assess the likely drives for 2021.  Pagenaud to McLaren would leave an opening at Penske, and another poor year from Veach could mean the same at Andretti.  :stoned:

#954 Peat

Peat

• 4,485 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 16:15

Ericcson news took me by total suprise. Team ICESWEDE.

#955 sblick

sblick

• 847 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 16:16

So much going on.  Shocked Ganassi signed Ericsson.  He brings money with him though correct?  Was Hinch looking for a way out of SPAM or was SPAM looking for a way to get rid of Hinch?    

#956 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,659 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 18:11

Why are so many convinced that Pagenaud would like to leave Penske for McLaren?

#957 Anja

Anja

• 4,277 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 18:17

I'm asking myself the same question, all it took was Robin Miller throwing that speculation out there and some people seem to treat it as a pretty much sure thing already. And now even Miller himself admitted in his latest mailbag that it's just a guess. 

#958 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 18:52

The theory was laid out at length in the last Marshall Pruett podcast.  Pagenaud's not getting any younger, nor is Power, so some moves are likely at Penske, and given the de Ferran connection and McLaren's desire for a driver with some technical ability, he would be a good fit.  The speculation runs that McLaren would be more likely to give a relatively long term contract (3-5 years), and Pagenaud could moonlight in sports cars with them and then become a brand ambassador.  So that's the thinking.  Whether Pagenaud is actually interested in leaving, or whether Team Penske is actually looking at moving someone along, is another question.

But, that's why it's called the silly season.

Edited by red stick, 09 October 2019 - 18:54.

#959 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,905 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 19:01

Castroneves remained full time for Penske until he was 42; Montoya was 41 when he finished his final full season with Penske. Penske is fundamentally a conservative guy (with an emphasis on the small "c"); his team is so successful because he doesn't make knee-jerk decisions or go for shake-ups at short notice. So long as he continues to perform, Pagenaud has nothing to worry about for a good handful of years - and actively choosing to leave Penske to go back to Schmidt (albeit with McLaren backing) just doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: I say all this with your provisos in mind, red stick!

Edited by Muppetmad, 09 October 2019 - 19:02.

Advertisement

#960 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 934 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 19:06

I can understand the logic.  Penske isn't averse to keeping drivers a little longer than some other teams, so Pagenaud staying strikes me as equally plausible, but the longer-term career path on offer in a McLaren deal is potentially quite enticing.  I am more interested in seeing who Penske would replace Pagenaud and Power with, come the time to do so.  Everyone says Colton, but RHR said no because Andretti gave him a break, and I could see Herta making the same choice.  It might be an ideal time for Rossi to move if Andretti prove unable to manage having two American contenders under one roof, but I think that won't be a problem.  Outside of Rossi and Herta, I am not sure who else looks like Penske material, right now.  

#961 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,905 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 19:13

I agree. Since I've started watching IndyCar (admittedly, that was only a decade ago - which seems like a long time to me, but is not at all long to others here!), Penske have always hired drivers for IndyCar when it was overwhelmingly obvious that they would be appropriate (Power, Montoya, Pagenaud and Newgarden). The only recent Penske driver who wasn't able to live up to expectations perhaps was Briscoe, but that certainly wasn't to be predicted before his arrival. I doubt Penske will seek to replace Power and/or Pagenaud until some clear options emerge.

Edited by Muppetmad, 09 October 2019 - 19:14.

#962 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 19:21

Castroneves remained full time for Penske until he was 42; Montoya was 41 when he finished his final full season with Penske. Penske is fundamentally a conservative guy (with an emphasis on the small "c"); his team is so successful because he doesn't make knee-jerk decisions or go for shake-ups at short notice. So long as he continues to perform, Pagenaud has nothing to worry about for a good handful of years - and actively choosing to leave Penske to go back to Schmidt (albeit with McLaren backing) just doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: I say all this with your provisos in mind, red stick!

It's just a fairly sophisticated rumor, nothing more.  Pagenaud apparently feels a debt of gratitude to de Ferran for taking him on when Champ Car fizzled out--recall that he and Power were teammates in Derrick Walker's team, and part of the thinking here also is that McLaren may be a standalone operation a few years down the line.  Time, as always, will tell.

#963 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 19:23

I agree. Since I've started watching IndyCar (admittedly, that was only a decade ago - which seems like a long time to me, but is not at all long to others here!), Penske have always hired drivers for IndyCar when it was overwhelmingly obvious that they would be appropriate (Power, Montoya, Pagenaud and Newgarden). The only recent Penske driver who wasn't able to live up to expectations perhaps was Briscoe, but that certainly wasn't to be predicted before his arrival. I doubt Penske will seek to replace Power and/or Pagenaud until some clear options emerge.

Ricky Taylor and Dane Cameron can't be forgotten--the track may run both ways . . .

#964 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 19:34

Ericcson news took me by total suprise. Team ICESWEDE.

Let us hope that NBC/NBCSN can refrain from playing "The Winner Takes It All" during Ganassi victory celebrations next year--maybe the rights to ABBA songs are still too steep.   ;)

#965 JBJ

JBJ

• 225 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 20:19

Unsure:

Possible

3rd Rahal Letterman Lanigan car: Spencer Pigot?

Part-time entries:

Kyle Kaiser (Juncos)?

No Pigot at Carpenter?

#966 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,283 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 20:45

It's just a fairly sophisticated rumor, nothing more. Pagenaud apparently feels a debt of gratitude to de Ferran for taking him on when Champ Car fizzled out--recall that he and Power were teammates in Derrick Walker's team, and part of the thinking here also is that McLaren may be a standalone operation a few years down the line. Time, as always, will tell.

I can tell you the following....
It really depends on what Ben Bretzman thinks about it as he’ll be going as well.

Jp

#967 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,714 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 21:36

OK, looking at my spreadsheet (which has nothing new that wasn't already mentioned here), making a couple of assumptions, namely:

MSR is entering full-time (not unrealistic, I would hope)

RLL is entering a 3rd car and (seems to come true, especially if the Hinchcliffe move rumors are true)

SOMEONE else is entering another full-time car - perhaps Juncos

we can deduct that we would have 26 full time cars on the grid, indeed.

Even if there is no Juncos scenario, with the part-time entries by DragonSpeed and perhaps Askew-ish Ganassi, we could well have 26 cars on the grid for most races, maybe 25 on some and 27 on others.

Overly optimistic?  Not really?

Overly optimistic would add a separate car for Ed Carpenter on ovals alongside his other 2 full-time entries, Stange Racing making good on their threat from last year that they may be entering with Oriol Servia at the helm full time, Juncos entering 2 cars, DragonSpeed going full-time, and AMSP entering a third car for Robert Wickens.   ;)

Edited by maximilian, 09 October 2019 - 21:37.

#968 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 8,341 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 21:45

The restrooms (or toilets for some of you chaps)

Lavatory. Toilet is merely the china.  ;)

#969 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,283 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 21:58

Sir Thomas.
Jp

#970 StraightEdge

StraightEdge

• 329 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 22:18

Penske drivers takes obstacle course inflatable style

#971 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,659 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 13:08

Thanks for the reply regarding Pagenaud. my whole point is I don't think anyone would voluntarily leave the Penske team

#972 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,714 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 13:13

Thanks for the reply regarding Pagenaud. my whole point is I don't think anyone would voluntarily leave the Penske team

Perhaps Pagenaud wouldn't want to go the Castroneves y Montoya route that Penske inflicted upon them.  He IS getting up there in age, and if the Captain decides he wants him in a sports car instead, ...   At McLaren, perhaps he could get a longer-term commitment as driver - and McLaren is perhaps the ONE name in IndyCar (once firmly established) that'll be bigger than Penske.

#973 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,663 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 13:36

Depends. He might want a new challenge, he might want to go back to his 'old' team, pay might be different/better, might be chances to do other things. Leaving Penske for SPM would be a surprise but Penske for SPAM is a new and different calculus. Plus who knows who Rogèr might be lining up long term. 

#974 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,636 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 13:53

He isn't that old, won 3 races this year and ended up 2nd in the standings. You could do worse as a driver...

#975 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:01

Hinch won't be at SPAM next year, he had a falling out with Arrow. Possibly in 3rd RLL car.

I think he already confirmed it?

#976 JBJ

JBJ

• 225 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:02

Veekay testing for Carpenter again next week

#977 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:03

No Pigot at Carpenter?

perhaps he shares the drive with Carpenter.

#978 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:04

Veekay testing for Carpenter again next week

would love to see him at Carpenter, also at the Indy 500.

#979 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,609 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:05

so who will drive the 2 McLarens. I think that's the most interesting question. It's very unfortunate that Hülkenberg turned down the offer.

I think Daly said the 3rd RLL is unlikely to happen.

Advertisement

#980 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:23

No Pigot at Carpenter?

Not yet confirmed.  Nor is Ed Jones, who is likely out of a ride.  The team is reportedly interested in Veekay on a part time basis, but Veekay wants a full year.  All according to the Oct 3 MP podcast.

#981 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 934 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:27

Ricky Taylor and Dane Cameron can't be forgotten--the track may run both ways . . .

That's an interesting point, although I would imagine they'd be given a couple of one-offs on ovals first, either in testing or a race, so this would be a pretty telegraphed move if so.

#982 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:28

He isn't that old, won 3 races this year and ended up 2nd in the standings. You could do worse as a driver...

The question isn't really Pagenaud's skill, but job security.  He's was rumored to be on the hot seat before his May success and sterling run to the finale.  All of which reportedly just got him a contract extension through 2020.  If Penske offers two years, and your mentor de Ferran is able to swing something longer term with a post racing career package with duties like Hakkinen has, you've got to look, right?

#983 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,488 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:33

Depends. He might want a new challenge, he might want to go back to his 'old' team, pay might be different/better, might be chances to do other things. Leaving Penske for SPM would be a surprise but Penske for SPAM is a new and different calculus. Plus who knows who Rogèr might be lining up long term. 

Have you Herta something on the grapevine?

#984 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 14:34

The third RLL car is an interesting case.  For all the reports that Honda would place Hinch, there, it hasn't happened.  Yet.  In the early reporting, RLL was said to be trying to put together sponsorship such that the team could call the shots, and not have to worry about whether the driver could bring sponsorship, so that they could hire whomever they wanted.  So the question may become, does RLL think Hinch, or Daly, or whomever, would be a good fit?  You would think that if Hinch is that fit that this would be "easy."

Of course, the season doesn't start again until March . . .

#985 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,636 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 15:15

Not yet confirmed.  Nor is Ed Jones, who is likely out of a ride.  The team is reportedly interested in Veekay on a part time basis, but Veekay wants a full year.  All according to the Oct 3 MP podcast.

Why would you want a driver part time? The season doesn't have that many races. Performance clauses I can understand, but in basis I would reckon a full year? VK is very young, perhaps another year of Lights? Although he has nothing to gain there with 8-car fields.

#986 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,663 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 15:19

I assume that's for Ed Carpenter's car since he only does ovals. 

#987 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 15:26

This.

#988 boomn

boomn

• 361 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 15:41

Montoya only got one more year in Indycar after getting second in 2015.  That said he was over 40 at that point, and Penske was starting up his new IMSA team and needing drivers

#989 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,714 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 19:50

Honestly, it's really time for Ed to run his own third car for his oval races, and have 2-full timers run otherwise.  There are just FOUR non-Indy500 oval races this would need to happen - and at Indy, ECR is running 3 cars anyways.

#990 Beri

Beri

• 1,568 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 20:05

Been away for a little holiday, came back to find out Ericsson signed at Ganassi? What has happened? Why? Was Chip so desperate for money?
I mean it's a good thing CGR is going back to a three car operation (or is it?). But Ericsson?
Ganassi, with Cheever, Luyendijk, Andretti, Zanardi, Monty, Franchitti and Dixon to name some icons who raced for CGR. Its almost like Ganassi is sliding down like Williams is doing at the other side of the pond. Driver wise seen that is.

#991 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,905 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 20:10

Ericsson is surely a far more promising pick than Kimball was at least.

#992 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,283 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 21:38

If Ed can win that damn 500 it’ll once and for all give him the impetus to field a crop of good drivers for a whole season.

Jp

#993 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,927 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 21:40

Ericsson is surely a far more promising pick than Kimball was at least.

Indeed and even Kimball has won

#994 Peat

Peat

• 4,485 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:39

Been away for a little holiday, came back to find out Ericsson signed at Ganassi? What has happened? Why? Was Chip so desperate for money?
I mean it's a good thing CGR is going back to a three car operation (or is it?). But Ericsson?
Ganassi, with Cheever, Luyendijk, Andretti, Zanardi, Monty, Franchitti and Dixon to name some icons who raced for CGR. Its almost like Ganassi is sliding down like Williams is doing at the other side of the pond. Driver wise seen that is.

The Ford GT program Chip is running, ends this weekend so will have plenty of capacity. Ericcson brings some money, Chip will find some too i guess but it means he get's to retain some of the talented personell.  

#995 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,420 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:53

Ericsson isn't horrible. He was very even with Wehrlein and Nasr in F1, and didn't look slower than Hinchcliffe this year even if the reults were worse, did he (haven't checked the stats, just from what I remember)?

It's not like they had a Herta or Rossi knocking on their door with a bag of money.

#996 prommer

prommer

• 2,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 21:09

I wonder if Hinch is waiting for Ferrucci to finish up his window shopping. As much as we all have Hinch slotting in perfectly at RLL, part of me wonders whether he wants to go to Dale Coyne to make it a full-on Newman Hass nostalgia team.

This is based on nothing but pure speculation, btw. But you should know that from me at this point #AlonsoFor8thAndretti

Oh, and at Laguna Seca, didn't Robin Miller say that Ed Jones's family is throwing together a bunch of cash to get him as good a ride as possible next year?

#997 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,663 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 21:12

I just assumed that was the basis for Jones's entire career up to this point. 

#998 Anja

Anja

• 4,277 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 21:15

I wonder if Hinch is waiting for Ferrucci to finish up his window shopping. As much as we all have Hinch slotting in perfectly at RLL, part of me wonders whether he wants to go to Dale Coyne to make it a full-on Newman Hass nostalgia team.

Come to think of it, Ferrucci to RLL would make a lot of sense. I seem to remember they wanted someone young in that third car.

#999 red stick

red stick

• 3,907 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 21:58

This is based on nothing but pure speculation, btw. But you should know that from me at this point #AlonsoFor8thAndretti

I hope not. That would speak volumes about Hinch's desirability at this point in his career, and not much of it good.

Advertisement

#1000 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,488 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 22:42

Hey, you can now get Max Chilton to record a video message of your choosing for $30. (I hope Caitlin is OK.)