* * * * - 3 votes

2020 IndyCar Silly Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
799 replies to this topic

#101 McLaren1702

McLaren1702

• 137 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:35

Fast 'Fraiddy says he won't run a full IndyCar season in 2020. Huge opportunity missed, I think. What the hell else better does he have to do anyways?

That's a shame, I really hoped it would happen. Didn't he say he wanted to compete full-time in a series next year, and not do a bit of everything like this year? He's leaving WEC. I can only hope the Ferrari 2020 rumours are true then, and that he'll compete in IndyCar in the future.

Advertisement

#102 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,541 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:49

Alonso has reached the end of the road. No-one will hire him in F1, it's that simple.

The only person that he has not pissed off in racing appears to be Zak Brown, and McLaren may or may not get its Indycar act together for next year - but Alonso saying that he only wants to do Indy as a one-off sends entirely the wrong message after what happened this year.

#103 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:57

In 2017, Alonso had an excellent ride behind him at Indy and he did a great job; this year, reality hit.

Only, it doesn't seem to have hit. I have a lot of respect for Alonso, but he's naïve if he thinks that he can simply turn up once a year at Indy and hope to win in the next few years. As Danica or Marco can tell you, a strong rookie performance at Indy is no guarantee of future success. If he's serious about the 500 and the Triple Crown, he needs all the experience he can get in the car - and a full-time entry would be ideal for this.

I don't think there's a magic bullet for Indy. Alonso's experiences may tell him that a stronger team is his best asset, and that the rest of the season would not do much to propel him toward his goal. Although Marco can also tell you that competing full-time with a team with considerable success at Indy is no guarantee you won't finish 5 laps off the pace.  ;)

#104 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 301 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 13:11

Time for Michael to take Marco out back and put an end to everyone's suffering.

Time for Michael to put Marco in the pit box and a corner office at the shop.  

#105 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,563 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 13:57

I think there are just 2 options for Alonso:

1. He will not run the Indy 500 in 2020

2. He will drive for Andretti, Carpenter or Penske.

#106 dierome87

dierome87

• 443 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 14:06

Fast 'Fraiddy says he won't run a full IndyCar season in 2020.  Huge opportunity missed, I think.  What the hell else better does he have to do anyways? 

Exactly, the Indy 500 is the last leg of the triple crown he needs to win.

Unless he's coming back to F1 (which at this point, seems unlikely), I don't see why he shouldn't give Indycar a try 

#107 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,038 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 14:14

I must say, it does make me uneasy that these days there is no oval race prior to Indy anymore.

#108 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 916 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 15:31

I must say, it does make me uneasy that these days there is no oval race prior to Indy anymore.

It doesn't make me uneasy, but I do wish we had one.  It's a real pity Phoenix was a flop, as that spring IndyCar race was originally the race that made me get hooked on the series in the first place (1993).  Sadly, there seem to be about 4 economically-viable ovals for open-wheel racing.  Would have loved a few more.

#109 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 15:53

It's not a super huge deal given how much practice they get to put themselves into oval mode, but in terms of actual race prep... yeah.

And of course McChicken showed eloquently how to screw it all up.  Running non-oval races before Indy would have prevented 90% of their problems, despite the difference in track.

Oh well, honestly the novelty of Fernando Alpollo has worn off meanwhile.  It's not like we aren't entertained enough without him!  :lol:

Edited by maximilian, 04 June 2019 - 16:00.

#110 FLB

FLB

• 10,146 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 16:08

Oh well, honestly the novelty of Fernando Alpollo has worn off meanwhile.  It's not like we aren't entertained enough without him!  :lol:

And if the info coming in about the ratings is correct, the 500 does not need Alonso in the race to gain in popularity, even in Europe (the UK)...

But I will say this, though: the whole McLaren to Indy thing has been mightily entertaining. I'm a sucker for spectacular failure stories (the story of how movie Heaven's Gate sunked United Artists, the making of the movie Le Mans, DeLorean, etc.).

Edited by FLB, 04 June 2019 - 16:15.

#111 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,034 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 17:12

I think there are just 2 options for Alonso:

1. He will not run the Indy 500 in 2020
2. He will drive for Andretti, Carpenter or Penske.

You sure you have all the bases covered this time?
Jp

#112 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,316 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 17:24

I just have the impression that it will be extremely difficult to show up for just one event and expect it to win it, but maybe a better team/car is the solution for him.

#113 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,006 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 17:34

I was just wondering wtf is all this OT stuff in the F1 silly season thread? 

:rotfl:

#114 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,034 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 17:52

Yeah well....We’re taking over the whole world.
lol
Jp

#115 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:20

Indy being Indy, he could run a number of seasons full-time and still not win it. Which I'm sure he knows. Alonso running Indycar full-time is a fan's dream, not his.

#116 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:26

And I still don't understand the concept that Roger Penske has any interest in running Alonso. FA can't buy his way in. Penske already has a stable of drivers capable of winning the race. He'd have more interest in getting JoNew a Borg-Warner trophy before some distracting outsider. Again, what's in it for RP to run Alonso?

#117 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 916 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:30

And I still don't understand the concept that Roger Penske has any interest in running Alonso. FA can't buy his way in. Penske already has a stable of drivers capable of winning the race. He'd have more interest in getting JoNew a Borg-Warner trophy before some distracting outsider. Again, what's in it for RP to run Alonso?

Nothing.  Penske hates drama, and Alonso is nothing if not a bit of a circus.  His one-off options look likely to be Andretti or Carpenter at best.  Both of which are great options, but I can't see a single reason Roger Penske would want to hire Fernando Alonso as a one-off driver.  It offers him no upside.

#118 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:36

BUT Roger has said he will run 4 cars at Indy in 2020.  I'm not sure Castroneves did enough this year (or last year!) to warrant coming back yet again, so I would speculate a 4th Penske car could be designated for a "guest" driver of some sort, be it Logano, Keselowski or maybe Ricky Taylor... or indeed someone like Alonso.

I feel the "Alonso is drama" thing a bit overblown.  He is a professional who prepares himself extremely well, and expects the same from his team - in that regard it would actually be a strong match with Penske.  Drama with Alonso happened more or less when the team fudged up something in the process.

PS: would love to see Austin Cindric make a switch to IndyCar sooner or later, although I doubt that would happen anytime soon.  Somehow just seems wrong for him to race tin tops when his dad is one of the most visible faces in IndyCar.  Of course, he doesn't exactly have a stellar junior open-wheel record, either...

Edited by maximilian, 04 June 2019 - 18:40.

#119 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,610 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:37

Indy being Indy, he could run a number of seasons full-time and still not win it. Which I'm sure he knows. Alonso running Indycar full-time is a fan's dream, not his.

That is true, but it’ll give him a much more realistic shot at it.

I don’t think anyone has seriously suggested he’d get a Penske drive.

Advertisement

#120 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 916 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:48

BUT Roger has said he will run 4 cars at Indy in 2020.  I'm not sure Castroneves did enough this year (or last year!) to warrant coming back yet again, so I would speculate a 4th Penske car could be designated for a "guest" driver of some sort, be it Logano, Keselowski or maybe Ricky Taylor... or indeed someone like Alonso.

I feel the "Alonso is drama" thing a bit overblown.  He is a professional who prepares himself extremely well, and expects the same from his team - in that regard it would actually be a strong match with Penske.  Drama with Alonso happened more or less when the team fudged up something in the process.

PS: would love to see Austin Cindric make a switch to IndyCar sooner or later, although I doubt that would happen anytime soon.  Somehow just seems wrong for him to race tin tops when his dad is one of the most visible faces in IndyCar.  Of course, he doesn't exactly have a stellar junior open-wheel record, either...

Max, he is professional in his preparation, but unprofessional with his remarks to the press.  You don't get to throw anyone under the bus on Roger's watch.  Note how Newgarden handled his Detroit error.  That's Penske behaviour, and I don't think Alonso fits that.

#121 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 301 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:48

I don’t think anyone has seriously suggested he’d get a Penske drive.

Agree--Rajah Penske didn't get where he is by having a short memory, coughcoughDannyOngaiscough.

#122 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 301 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:51

Tim C. said flatly that Austin would not even sit in any single-seater going forward.  I can't remember where I read that, maybe Robin Miller.

Edited by eibyyz, 04 June 2019 - 18:51.

#123 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,316 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 18:53

Alonso sees Indy as a short term project, hell if he won it with Andretti in his first attempt we wouldn't even talking about Alonso and Indycars right now. That's not a problem, but I don't see how Penske would be interested.

#124 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 19:07

That is true, but it’ll give him a much more realistic shot at it.

Oft-stated, certainly. Accurate? I'm not so sure.

With a competitive team that knows its business, he's qualified well, run well, led, and been in the mix right up until his engine failed. I understand the notion that running the early races might help a team gel, but I'm not sure it's necessary for Indy victory. FA's 2017 experience certainly suggests all he needed was a stouter engine.

Edited by red stick, 04 June 2019 - 19:08.

#125 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,552 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 21:10

Can't wreck or dump people without likely damaging his own car too much in open-wheelers.

#126 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 22:21

Can't wreck or dump people without likely damaging his own car too much in open-wheelers.

Brutal.

#127 paulb

paulb

• 6,724 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 23:41

Brutal.

I think he was having a rough time in PWC, so not entirely unfounded.

#128 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,552 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 14:57

I think he was having a rough time in PWC, so not entirely unfounded.

He dumped Kaz Grala to take his only win in NASCAR top 3 series as well. Went on to crash out Scott Speed in GRX soon after. Which looked like a blatant ramming imo.
Speed went got pretty pissed and did a "rich dad" rant against him.

#129 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:27

OK, thanks for the insight, I officially withdraw my train of thought.  May Austin Cindric stay where he is!  :lol:  :lol:

#130 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:52

AJ Foyt claims that Tony Kanaan will be back for 2020 in a full-time capacity.  :up:   Not sure if Tony likes this or hates this.  :lol:

#131 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 539 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 13:20

AJ Foyt claims that Tony Kanaan will be back for 2020 in a full-time capacity. :up: Not sure if Tony likes this or hates this. :lol:

I‘m convinced that either AJ Foyt has some embarrassing pictures of Tony Kanaan, or Kanaan has some embarrassing pictures of Foyt.

#132 Anja

Anja

• 4,134 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 13:25

I think both parties are pretty much stuck with the current situation being the best they can realistically hope for. I just can't see TK getting another full-time seat and at the same time Foyt isn't really in position to attract a better driver in that miserable shape they found themselves in. 

Edited by Anja, 11 June 2019 - 13:27.

#133 Peat

Peat

• 4,419 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 13:31

Pretty inconsequential. It's not as if TK is wasting the seat. 

#134 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 13:49

TK's been on the Marshall Pruett podcast this year and explained that he loves it at Foyt and plans to retire there.  Foyt, for his part, evidently loves TK.  From other reports and comments made this year by Pruett, the issues at Foyt are pretty clearly not the drivers, but related to engineering and funding.

I feel for Leist.  Kanaan's reputation is secure, as an Indy 500 winner and series champion.  How good a driver is Leist?  How are we to know?  He's certainly not getting a chance to showcase anything this year, nor does it look like progress is right around the corner.

#135 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,563 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 14:18

AJ Foyt claims that Tony Kanaan will be back for 2020 in a full-time capacity.  :up:   Not sure if Tony likes this or hates this.  :lol:

Good to see that happening. I like the old boys in IndyCar.

It's time to call back Buddy Lazier to the Indy 500 :cat:

#136 prommer

prommer

• 2,370 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 18:44

Team Foyt is a perfect case of "Founders Syndrome."  The fact that one team is in Indianapolis and one is in Texas so "AJ can go down to the shop" says a lot. And honestly, when the founder dies (the bees will probably get him, or maybe a lion), I think they're done. 

McLaren flourished after Bruce died; Newman-Haas sadly didn't. I think Penske will be good to go under Cindric; but Foyt, I can see them losing ABC Supply and Larry Foyt just calling it a day.

Let's hope it's a long, long time before the bees come and get him.

#137 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 916 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 20:19

Team Foyt is a perfect case of "Founders Syndrome."  The fact that one team is in Indianapolis and one is in Texas so "AJ can go down to the shop" says a lot. And honestly, when the founder dies (the bees will probably get him, or maybe a lion), I think they're done. 

McLaren flourished after Bruce died; Newman-Haas sadly didn't. I think Penske will be good to go under Cindric; but Foyt, I can see them losing ABC Supply and Larry Foyt just calling it a day.

Let's hope it's a long, long time before the bees come and get him.

The difference was two were race teams which were built into large-scale business as motorsports service providers (and eventually a full car company in one case), and the other two were just IndyCar teams (one of them very, very good most of the time).  I wonder similarly about some of the other teams on the grid in the long-term.  Michael Andretti has, over a decade and a half turned out to be a fairly impressive team owner, and took a very good IndyCar team (Forsythe Green Racing, originally) and turned them into a multi-genre motorsports empire.  I wonder a bit about Ganassi after Chip, and a lot about RLL after Rahal is gone.

#138 prommer

prommer

• 2,370 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 22:44

The difference was two were race teams which were built into large-scale business as motorsports service providers (and eventually a full car company in one case), and the other two were just IndyCar teams (one of them very, very good most of the time).  I wonder similarly about some of the other teams on the grid in the long-term.  Michael Andretti has, over a decade and a half turned out to be a fairly impressive team owner, and took a very good IndyCar team (Forsythe Green Racing, originally) and turned them into a multi-genre motorsports empire.  I wonder a bit about Ganassi after Chip, and a lot about RLL after Rahal is gone.

Not to derail the thread too much, but what about Williams? Do you think they continue on after Frank or will Claire pull the plug?

#139 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 916 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 23:16

Not to derail the thread too much, but what about Williams? Do you think they continue on after Frank or will Claire pull the plug?

They’ve tried to diversify, but I dunno how much revenue their Engineering side pulls in. And I dunno how profitable the F1 team is. Would Claire be happier selling off the team and just running an Engineering company?

Advertisement

#140 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:10

Williams is a publicly traded company, so I don't think anybody can just pull the plug.

#141 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 13:57

A lively discussion on this week's Marshall Pruett podcast with guest Robin Miller. For Silly Season purposes:

1. Unlikely Rossi is going anywhere, but will stay at Andretti.
2. Veach is in year two of a three year contract, and Gainbridge is behind him.
3. Ganassi is impatient, but had to wait awhile for Rosenqvist and is unlikely to make a change this year.

https://marshallprue...h-robin-miller/

Worth a listen.

Edited by red stick, 20 June 2019 - 14:43.

#142 bike13

bike13

• 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 15:22

A lively discussion on this week's Marshall Pruett podcast with guest Robin Miller. For Silly Season purposes:

1. Unlikely Rossi is going anywhere, but will stay at Andretti.
2. Veach is in year two of a three year contract, and Gainbridge is behind him.
3. Ganassi is impatient, but had to wait awhile for Rosenqvist and is unlikely to make a change this year.

https://marshallprue...h-robin-miller/

Worth a listen.

Pruett obviously is respected by Racer Magazine, Robin Miller, and many in the racing community.  He must devote much of his time to gathering info for his many podcasts and many fans listen.  However, after listening to a number of his podcasts, I just cannot bear to listen to anymore.  I enjoy much of the information that I gained from the podcasts but I do not have 2 hours to give up.  Pruett just doesn't know how to make a comment or ask a question without turning it into a five minute soliloquy.  I have a friend who drives me crazy because he cannot tell a simple story.  All his stories take twice as long to tell as they should.  I keep telling him that he has diarrhea of the mouth.  With no offense meant toward Pruett, he has the same problem.  As a professional media member, he needs to develop a skill of asking concise questions and let the responder talk.  

I wish that he would learn this skill because he could shorten his podcasts to a listening time that is manageable.  I would enjoy listening because he does have some good info and insights.  If you cannot tell by my comments, I will not be listening to this podcast but if anyone has listened and can provide more insights other than those listed by "red stick" I would enjoy.

#143 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 15:51

I download and listen on my commute.  Beats talk radio and oldies stations.   ;)

#144 red stick

red stick

• 3,751 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 19:44

FWIW.

https://racer.com/20...or-ryan-norman/

#145 StraightEdge

StraightEdge

• 302 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 20:49

He's not setting Indy Lights on fire unlike Askew and Megennis

#146 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,896 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 20:54

Given Indy Lights has a field of approximately 5 cars it’s hard to rate any of them

#147 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:05

Kind of a shame that Brendon Hartley seems completely out of the picture after seemingly already having signed a Ganassi contract before he got the Toro Rosso call-up.  Yeah, replacing Alonso at Gazoo is nothing to sneeze at, but hopefully he'll have more going on than just 6 WEC races.  Wonder how many conflicts there would actually be with IndyCar...  Probably won't see him in FE either, since there are no less than three WEC/FE conflicts.

#148 king_crud

king_crud

• 4,229 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 18:54

Pruett obviously is respected by Racer Magazine, Robin Miller, and many in the racing community. He must devote much of his time to gathering info for his many podcasts and many fans listen. However, after listening to a number of his podcasts, I just cannot bear to listen to anymore. I enjoy much of the information that I gained from the podcasts but I do not have 2 hours to give up. Pruett just doesn't know how to make a comment or ask a question without turning it into a five minute soliloquy. I have a friend who drives me crazy because he cannot tell a simple story. All his stories take twice as long to tell as they should. I keep telling him that he has diarrhea of the mouth. With no offense meant toward Pruett, he has the same problem. As a professional media member, he needs to develop a skill of asking concise questions and let the responder talk.

I wish that he would learn this skill because he could shorten his podcasts to a listening time that is manageable. I would enjoy listening because he does have some good info and insights. If you cannot tell by my comments, I will not be listening to this podcast but if anyone has listened and can provide more insights other than those listed by "red stick" I would enjoy.

Completely agree, I recently had to turn off auto downloads for his podcast, all too long, too frequent and i just don't have time. Nothing against the guy personally but his podcasts aren't suited to by limited free time

#149 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,375 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 20:14

Given Indy Lights has a field of approximately 5 cars it’s hard to rate any of them

He is being beaton by rookies while he is in his third year.

#150 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,634 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 20:55

There is talk in the paddock about the possibility of Ganassi making a play for Rossi - apparently him staying at Andretti isn't a done deal.