* * * * - 3 votes

2020 IndyCar Silly Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
1962 replies to this topic

#151 Anja

Anja

• 4,436 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 21:18

I'm really doubtful anything will come out of this. It just doesn't seem to me like Rossi has a lot to gain there, at the moment it looks to be at best a lateral move.

Edited by Anja, 21 June 2019 - 21:18.

Advertisement

#152 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 22:19

I'm really doubtful anything will come out of this. It just doesn't seem to me like Rossi has a lot to gain there, at the moment it looks to be at best a lateral move.

Agree.   But you can't instigate a bidding war, even a minor one, if there's only one bidder. 

#153 paulb

paulb

• 6,976 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:29

There is talk in the paddock about the possibility of Ganassi making a play for Rossi - apparently him staying at Andretti isn't a done deal.

I do like the Fire and Ice aspect of a Rossi - Dixon pairing. He would stay with Honda, which would be a plus. I presume he would want to bring Rob Edwards with him. Chip needs deep pockets to get Alex.

#154 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,891 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:58

I suppose the draw of going to Ganassi would be that presumably Dixon would retire in a couple of years or so, and at that point, it becomes Rossi's team altogether, something that perhaps wouldn't be happening at Andretti, if they keep their 4 car strategy.

#155 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 17:15

The point made by Pruett, Miller, and others is that Andretti is already pretty much Rossi's team, and on current form, may be expected to stay that way, whereas Ganassi is unquestionably Dixon's team, and may remain so for the next half-decade.  So why leave?  The other question that usually gets asked is where would the money come from for Chip to hire Rossi?  I think fans generally believe there's a lot more money rolling around in IndyCar than is actually the case.

#156 prommer

prommer

• 2,443 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 17:34

I often wonder whether the pull of a stable family life will cause one of these oldsters to retire sooner than we expect.  I kinda thought RHR would call it a day a few years ago, but he's sticking with it.  Bourdais, after his big crash as well -- I thought he was done. This new maturity (theoretically) that Will Power has, plus the new baby, made me wonder whether he will call it a day.

But the fact that both Power and Dixon are putting up some gaudy career wins/poles/championship numbers makes me think that yes, each of them is going to stick it out for 5 years or more, just to see who can catch the various Andretti/Foyt/Unser career records that are out there to catch.

I think family life had a lot to do with the fact that we had some shortened Indycar second careers for Montoya and Barrichello.

#157 bike13

bike13

• 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 17:48

I often wonder whether the pull of a stable family life will cause one of these oldsters to retire sooner than we expect.  I kinda thought RHR would call it a day a few years ago, but he's sticking with it.  Bourdais, after his big crash as well -- I thought he was done. This new maturity (theoretically) that Will Power has, plus the new baby, made me wonder whether he will call it a day.

But the fact that both Power and Dixon are putting up some gaudy career wins/poles/championship numbers makes me think that yes, each of them is going to stick it out for 5 years or more, just to see who can catch the various Andretti/Foyt/Unser career records that are out there to catch.

I think family life had a lot to do with the fact that we had some shortened Indycar second careers for Montoya and Barrichello.

I agree with the opinion that Power and Dixon will stick around chasing records.  They may answer such questions with the standard "I don't think about records" but they are people who have spent their whole lives living/breathing only racing.  It would be a rare person who doesn't want to be recognized as one of the best in their profession.  In sport, how are you measured?  It is by factual records.  I suspect that records means something to them.

#158 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,891 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 21:37

One (of the many) thing IndyCar has going for itself is that it is a genuinely FUN and competitive series for drivers to compete in.  I mean, they just love it, and eat it up.  Other, less competitive, less interesting, less fun, more frustrating series may well lead to the earlier retirement of some drivers still not past their prime, say, to go chase the triple crown, or other racing achievements.  I don't see that happening in IndyCar.  It's just too awesome to quit voluntarily!  :lol:

#159 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 23:33

Seemed apropos . . .

https://racer.com/20...n-silly-season/

The meat of the story:

Rossi is priority No.1 for Honda, and the manufacturer is willing to do everything it can to keep its engine behind him.

But over the weekend, a rumor surfaced that Andretti is contemplating a switch back to Chevrolet (a move it considered two years ago), and that would likely force Honda to look for other options to entice Rossi to stay.

Honda currently supplies engines to Chip Ganassi Racing, Rahal Letterman Lanigan, Dale Coyne Racing, Arrow SPM and, in partnership with the latter, Meyer Shank.

Ganassi is Scott Dixon’s team and rookie Felix Rosenqvist has a two-year deal, so adding Rossi would mean a third car, while Schmidt’s lineup could stay unchanged with James Hinchcliffe and Marcus Ericsson, and Jack Harvey in the Shank car. RLL is happy with Takuma Sato teaming with Graham Rahal but Bob Rahal, is always open to a third car with proper funding. Ditto for Coyne. But Honda’s position is made tricker by the fact that outside of Ganassi, HPD might struggle to find a seat that Rossi would see as appealing. Or to put it another way, why would he give up a good Chevy ride with Andretti or Penske to be the third driver at RLL or SPM?

And despite Roger Penske telling NBCSN they were only running four cars at Indy next year, RACER.com can report that The Captain is very much in the hunt for the guy who spanked his team last Sunday at Road America.

Edited by red stick, 24 June 2019 - 23:39.

Advertisement

#160 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 966 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:28

I think Rossi might become a Honda contracted driver, not an Andretti one. And Chip might be going back to three cars.

Because I think McLaren-Andretti is very much on the table, and that’ll require Chevy motors.

#161 bike13

bike13

• 37 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:20

Seemed apropos . . .

https://racer.com/20...n-silly-season/

The meat of the story:

I'm with Miller.  For the enjoyment of the fans of the series, Rossi needs to stay with Andretti and Honda.  However, in the end, long-term evaluation of the money will dictate the outcome.  My dad said to not play cards with someone with more money than you.  They can always up the ante.

#162 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,891 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 17:07

Really don't see why Rossi would leave Andretti at all... surely it can't be hard for Andretti to find the required sponsorship for the #27 car with ROSSI in it?  The call of Penske may be strong, of course, but there's more to life in IndyCar than to drive for Penske.   

I guess one factor is whether Andretti might switch to Chevy, too... 

Wonder if talk of a 4th Penske could also be referring to Herta, not Rossi?   ;)

#163 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 18:00

Wonder if talk of a 4th Penske could also be referring to Herta, not Rossi?   ;)

Nah, he's still a teenager.  No rush.  Let him wreck another team's cars for a few years, then pick him up.  :)

#164 Beamer

Beamer

• 1,696 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 18:11

Maybe IndyCar is a good refuge for alo, at least we'd be freed of the alo to f1 team xyz in 2020

#165 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 966 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 18:13

Nah, he's still a teenager.  No rush.  Let him wreck another team's cars for a few years, then pick him up.  :)

Roger has been aggressive in signing the best youngster he could find, before.  He signed a very, very young Paul Tracy and tolerated plenty of cracked tubs, so may be ok with Colton.

#166 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 18:16

Roger has been aggressive in signing the best youngster he could find, before.  He signed a very, very young Paul Tracy and tolerated plenty of cracked tubs, so may be ok with Colton.

The experiment has not been repeated.   ;)

#167 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,569 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 18:29

Uh oh... I just heard O’WORD from an FIA entry list.
Jp

#168 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 19:10

O'Ward has no more funded races in IndyCar, correct? 

#169 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,423 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 19:56

Penske does not have a habit of signing extremely young drivers. Tracy was 22 when he joined Penske, and he was the exception. That is still 3 years older than Colton Herta, and Tracy was coming off an incredibly mature season in ARS. Maturity that proved a bit of a fluke really  :)

The experiment has not been repeated.   ;)

:lol:  My thoughts exactly.

#170 prommer

prommer

• 2,443 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 20:30

Who heard Sam Schmidt when interviewed during one of the sessions this weekend (I think it was Dylan Welch during qualy? I can't remember) when asked "Which one would you most want to add to your team, Rossi or Colton?"

Short pause, then Schmidt said simply: "Colton."

FWIW... :p

#171 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 966 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 20:45

Penske does not have a habit of signing extremely young drivers. Tracy was 22 when he joined Penske, and he was the exception. That is still 3 years older than Colton Herta, and Tracy was coming off an incredibly mature season in ARS. Maturity that proved a bit of a fluke really :)

:lol: My thoughts exactly.

Fair, although I think Roger Penske has shown a willingness to put up with plenty of wrecked cars. Then again I am significantly more down on Will Power than almost everyone else.

#172 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,788 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 00:38

Personally, I'd like to see Rossi take another shot at F1 for a couple of years.

Grosjean is done, no doubt he won't be back at Haas, Rossi certainly couldn't do any worse.

#173 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:45

Personally, I'd like to see Rossi take another shot at F1 for a couple of years.
Grosjean is done, no doubt he won't be back at Haas, Rossi certainly couldn't do any worse.

Leave IndyCar for a backmarker F1 team that currently doesn't understand its car's inadequacies, will in any event always be relegated to being Ferrari's B-team, and pair him with the ever-charming Kevin Magnussen? With fans like these . . .  ;)

Edited by red stick, 26 June 2019 - 01:49.

#174 loki

loki

• 6,020 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:42

Leave IndyCar for a backmarker F1 team that currently doesn't understand its car's inadequacies

I don't think Rossi will go to Williams...

:drunk:  :yawnface:

#175 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,788 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:15

Leave IndyCar for a backmarker F1 team that currently doesn't understand its car's inadequacies, will in any event always be relegated to being Ferrari's B-team, and pair him with the ever-charming Kevin Magnussen? With fans like these . . .  ;)

Salaries

Romain Grosjean 1.6 mil Euros.

Will Power 1.5 mil Dollars

Drive in F1, you get paid big, big Euros

Scott Dixon, at the top of the pile in IC makes 2.5 - 3 mil a year

Kimi Rakkonen, driving for Alfa banks 15 mil Euros a year (17 mil US)

And I can virtually guarantee that there are point bonuses as well in F1

And yes, it's all about the car you get in F1, just as it is in IC

#176 king_crud

king_crud

• 4,322 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:03

You can do more with less in Indycar

#177 teejay

teejay

• 5,753 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:45

If Andretti want to ensure they have the money to keep Rossi sending divert the wasted funds allocated to running Marco and problem solved. 

#178 Anja

Anja

• 4,436 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:03

Salaries

You're talking like that's all the drivers care about. It's a factor in their decisions for sure, but not the only one. It's fine to get some extra millions when you're 40 and have most of your career behind you, but younger guys like Rossi still have a point to prove. 

Edited by Anja, 26 June 2019 - 10:04.

#179 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,615 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:24

Salaries

Can guarantee you that Kimi doesn't make that kind of money with Alfa Romeo. Very F1 few drivers are that well paid; Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo. That's about it.

Advertisement

#180 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,677 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:26

Rossi in Formula 1 makes absolutely sense. But IndyCar drivers are not on the radar of F1 team principals.

#181 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 966 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 13:36

Rossi in Formula 1 makes absolutely sense. But IndyCar drivers are not on the radar of F1 team principals.

And I am very happy that is the case.  I doubt Rossi would go back to F1 for a mid-pack seat, but he's not getting a ride with either Mercedes or Ferrari, so I don't see him leaving IndyCar for the foreseeable future.  

And Penske could definitely pay whatever a mid-pack F1 team attempted to offer.

#182 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,569 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:10

And that’s a load of bunk.
Jp

#183 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,788 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:11

And that’s a load of bunk.
Jp

What part?

#184 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,099 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:15

At least one young Mexican Indycar driver is on the radar of two F1 team principals.

#185 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,099 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:20

As for Rossi, I doubt F1 has forgotten him. My gut tells me that if he wins the championship, an F1 team will give him a call. That said, a test would come easier if there were a willing F1 team with a Honda engine...

#186 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,772 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:21

I think Rossi might become a Honda contracted driver, not an Andretti one. And Chip might be going back to three cars.

Because I think McLaren-Andretti is very much on the table, and that’ll require Chevy motors.

I don't know. I think Rossi would be better off staying at Andretti rather than getting tied down to Honda.

#187 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,563 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:27

Maybe IndyCar is a good refuge for alo, at least we'd be freed of the alo to f1 team xyz in 2020

He's not doing that in 2020. He says he has other plans for 2020, but that he still might do a season of IndyCar later.

#188 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 966 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:33

I don't know. I think Rossi would be better off staying at Andretti rather than getting tied down to Honda.

Possibly, but I’m pretty sure Honda can pay better than Andretti, if they feel like it.

#189 Anja

Anja

• 4,436 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:41

https://www.motorspo...ke-God/4481098/

I'm not sure exactly how to read this, but it sounds like he knows what he wants and it's just a matter of the team putting the budget and the formalities together. To me that would suggest staying with Andretti as I think it's a bit too early in the season to be this far into the process with another team. Unless he already had some sort of agreement with Penske before the the season even began... but my money is still on Andretti.

#190 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,569 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 15:50

What part?

The uninformed assertion that Indycar is not on the F1 decision makers radar.
Jp

#191 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 364 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 16:15

As for Rossi, I doubt F1 has forgotten him. My gut tells me that if he wins the championship, an F1 team will give him a call. That said, a test would come easier if there were a willing F1 team with a Honda engine...

And unless it was Merc or RB, I'd hang up the phone... :p

#192 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 364 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 16:18

If AR goes to Penske, he'll be driving for a team that kicked Will Freaking Power to the kerb.  Andretti is family.  That said, Michael'd have to be high to switch to Chevy.

Edited by eibyyz, 26 June 2019 - 16:18.

#193 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 6,788 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 18:20

If AR goes to Penske, he'll be driving for a team that kicked Will Freaking Power to the kerb.  Andretti is family.  That said, Michael'd have to be high to switch to Chevy.

C'mon, we're talking Michael Andretti here, whoever gives him more is who he'll go with.

#194 red stick

red stick

• 4,054 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 18:31

If AR goes to Penske, he'll be driving for a team that kicked Will Freaking Power to the kerb.

How do you figure?  The reporting thus far is that if Penske pursues Rossi it will be because he's decided, over Tim Cindric's objection, to run four cars again.

#195 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 364 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 18:49

How do you figure?  The reporting thus far is that if Penske pursues Rossi it will be because he's decided, over Tim Cindric's objection, to run four cars again.

I've seen that, and I have my doubts.  If it does happen, I believe it'd be Rajah putting up his own money.  But I've been wrong before...

#196 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 364 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 18:54

C'mon, we're talking Michael Andretti here, whoever gives him more is who he'll go with.

I'd be interested to see the terms of the Penske-Chevrolet contract.  Does Penske have most-favored-nation?  Is there a release clause if Chevy signed Andretti?  I think the result would be Penske going to Honda. 

#197 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,569 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 18:57

Jeez.... we’ve gone off the cliff with speculation here gang.
Jp

#198 prommer

prommer

• 2,443 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 19:54

Jp

Is this a good time for me to suggest that we're going to see an Andretti superteam of Rossi, Alonso, RHR running under the Bowtie next season?

J/k.

Kind of.

But seriously, if anyone wants to bet that Penske is going to go to Honda, I will happily step up and take that bet, once I've determined how many zeros I can get from you.

#199 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,099 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 21:03

Jp

Do we need to dust off the Indycar to Cleveland speculation again?

Advertisement

#200 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 364 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 21:11

Do we need to dust off the Indycar to Cleveland speculation again?

Why not?   :p  If Bommarito can back Gateway, Bobby Rahal Automotive can do Lakefront!