Photo

Too much video content?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Raemius

Raemius

• 318 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:04

It is my habit to dip in and out of the news and articles on autosport.com when time permits at work, and I have been doing this for several years. However, I cannot play the video content very regularly, for 2 reasons. Firstly, it disturbs others in the office. Secondly, you really need to watch a complete video and cannot easily pause to answer the phone or do something urgent and then easily pick up the thread of where you were.

This means that I now find myself frustrated by all the news items and articles that I have to just skip over, often with topic titles that intrigue me. I know everyone wants to be a movie star and they can use video to excuse the lack of detail, but please provide a written transcript option for those of us that still like to read the news and not watch it.

Advertisement

#2 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,877 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:07

I concur.

#3 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,909 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:29

Written articles are much easier and much quicker scan-read than watching videos or — heaven forbid! — listening to podcasts. I, for one, don't have — and/or don't want to spend — the time to watch/listen to all that information.

#4 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:27

I concur.

:cool:

#5 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:22

I agree 100%. Much prefer the written word rather than, ahem!, irrelevant videos. That belief applies even if I could see them which has only been possible for a three week period in the last two years.

#6 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:49

The videos are great, been watching them most week nights on Youtube.

#7 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:59

Add me to the growing chorus of those who'd rather read something than watch a video.

#8 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 13:53

I have watched maybe 2 of the videos they have posted... Once again an 'improvement' is anything but an improvement... I still understand this is the way of the world, however a mirror of Liberty not understanding the product they sell.

:cool:

#9 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 15:18

The videos are great, been watching them most week nights on Youtube.

That, and if someone quotes one, is the only way that I can see them. The only thing that plays for me is the pre video advertising. I can't be arsed with that nonsense particularly when one discovers the like of Renault is irrelevant. To be frank, I've yet to read anything worthwhile from Scott Mitchell, so maybe video is his natural habitat.

#10 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 21:23

I do feel a bit for Ed Straw, whenever he's in one of the videos. One quick glance at the comments (I wouldn't recommend it, since the comments section of a YouTube video is the toilet of the internet), and you often find quite a few disparaging comments about his weight, rather than the issue that's being discussed...

#11 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 23:51

The issue with these video's is that text alone loses maybe half of the people,  video/images alone loses the other half of people. It's never either this or that.

For some of the videos in question, automatic created subtitles can be turned on.

Obviously the best is a mix of two worlds and many news web sites make use of it. EDIT: Write out the gist of the text on a page - which for certain videos has been done in advance anyway - and embed the video on the same page.

Edited by HP, 11 April 2019 - 23:54.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,959 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:27

The video content is great on the YouTube channel. They pop up in my subscriptions and I enjoy them. But I share the OP’s opinion that too many interesting topics are videos on the website and I’d prefer if they didn’t appear on the main page as if they were articles.

#13 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:54

Right, there's a time and place for everything - and when presenting content it's always good to be mindful of your audience's expectations.

A website known for presenting written, succinct, articles is generally a place people visit for quickly getting the gist of a certain issue, whereas the spoken word tends to have a lot lower information density and precludes easily finding something of relevance. It's not a good experience when you expect the former but get the latter.

#14 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 14:53

Glad somebody else has raised this. The videos are fine, if you have time to watch them, but more often than not I wish it would be an actual written article.

Edited by P123, 15 April 2019 - 14:53.

#15 rhoblidnen

rhoblidnen

• 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 21:16

Agreed. An article allows me to absorb information at a variable rate. I can skim or read in-depth. A video is dictating that rate to me, and it's a much less satisfying experience. I skip over most, if not all the articles that start with "Video:". Not to mention, as a Plus subscriber, I have paid to remove ads, and more often than not I'm getting an unskippable 60 second ad about Crohn's Disease medication before them!

Edited by rhoblidnen, 13 May 2019 - 21:18.