Photo
- - - - -

2019 Chinese GP RACE 1000 thread

• Please log in to reply
1056 replies to this topic

Poll: 2019 Chinese GP (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Race winner?

1. Bottas (19 votes [21.59%])

Percentage of vote: 21.59%

2. Hamilton (50 votes [56.82%])

Percentage of vote: 56.82%

3. Vettel (6 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

4. Leclerc (4 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

5. Verstappen (5 votes [5.68%])

Percentage of vote: 5.68%

6. Someone else (4 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Points scorers?

1. Renault (76 votes [29.34%])

Percentage of vote: 29.34%

2. Haas (51 votes [19.69%])

Percentage of vote: 19.69%

3. Toro Rosso (38 votes [14.67%])

Percentage of vote: 14.67%

4. Racing Point (24 votes [9.27%])

Percentage of vote: 9.27%

5. McLaren (27 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

6. Alfa Romeo (40 votes [15.44%])

Percentage of vote: 15.44%

7. Williams (3 votes [1.16%])

Percentage of vote: 1.16%

Winning strategy?

1. One stop (26 votes [29.55%])

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

2. Two stop (62 votes [70.45%])

Percentage of vote: 70.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#951 Anja

Anja

• 4,281 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:19

fun fact; this was mercs 40th 1-2 win. half of what ferrari has

Now compare how many seasons both competed in... 

Advertisement

#952 GunnarN7

GunnarN7

• 85 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:28

Hats off to Kimi. I have to admit I've been kind of unfair to him these last years. After all it seems that the biggest difference was Ferrari not wanting to maximize his performances just as they did with Leclerc today. At the moment Kimi looks to be at the level of his Lotus days.

What a shame for McLaren. Specially as a Sainz's supporter this season's been really frustrating so far. He doesn't seem to be able to have a normal race, and considering that he could've been on the points in every race it's just irritating to watch. I guess it's time for the "let's see on Baku" but we've been getting that since the start of the season.

Edited by GunnarN7, 14 April 2019 - 09:29.

#953 robefc

robefc

• 12,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:29

Ferrari turned an easy 3-4 into an easy 3-5... That's how you end up losing close championships. Especially after the disaster in Bahrain that is not what the doctor ordered

It was interesting that Binotto said one of their drivers would definitely have been undercut by Max either way. That's obviously not true in the sense that they also have the option to pit rather than waiting for Max to do so but I guess if you are focussed on what's in front of you then you are less likely to pit earlier than you want to and you can only protect both cars if you pit the lead driver even earlier (to allow the second driver to also pit without getting undercut).

Lewis needs to learn that pulling away too far in the first stint means you'll get pitted second! 

#954 robefc

robefc

• 12,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:31

I KNEW Bottas would say "we lost it at the start"

Even though he lost 6 seconds each stint

I think when he said  he had the pace to win he must have been implicitly criticising the delta required to overtake in F1 rather than claiming he was on Lewis's pace... :D

#955 robefc

robefc

• 12,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:32

You mean you guys guessed that the team that has won the last 5 seasons is likely to win again?

#crystalballs

They appear to have foretold a lack of reliability and Vettel's spin fetish too (ok, both also not hard to predict I guess!).

#956 ANF

ANF

• 10,222 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:47

I don't think Kvyat deserved a drive-through but a 5 or 10-second time penalty. After all, the only cause of the accident seemed to be too much right foot on the exit of the hairpin. (And the stewards do have access to telemetry.)

Edited by ANF, 14 April 2019 - 09:48.

#957 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 2,243 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:55

Quelle surprise... Kvyat thinks the penalty was unjust, he'll never learn

bullshit

#958 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,352 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:57

Kvyat did nothing wrong.

#959 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,769 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:04

I think Max is the only guy who in an equal car would be a great threat to Lewis, now that Alonso has retired. I cannot see anyone else having any level of pace to trouble Lewis consistently.

Max I think certainly has the potential. However he hasn't been tested in a championship battle. There's so much more to it than raw pace, and even raw pace + race craft. Lewis was able to reduce Seb to a neanderthal car ramming Maldonado-alike in Baku in 2017. He was able to reduce cerebral intelligent highest-Williams-engineering-test-scorer-Schumi-beater Nico Rosberg into a petulant "I hit Lewis at Spa to prove a point" type driver. He reduced Alonso, a driver of probably unparalleled ability and potential, to lose his head completely.

Yep Max has the potential based on raw ability but he'll have to be close to perfect over an entire season unless he has a car advantage.

Advertisement

#960 jjcale

jjcale

• 11,330 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:07

Another driver would not even had had a penalty - it would have been seen as first lap incident .... he got the penalty for being "the torpedo".... I could understand that if he was on a string of incidents but he has been OK since his return, so I dont think he needs special treatment. 

#961 robefc

robefc

• 12,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:08

Max I think certainly has the potential. However he hasn't been tested in a championship battle. There's so much more to it than raw pace, and even raw pace + race craft. Lewis was able to reduce Seb to a neanderthal car ramming Maldonado-alike in Baku in 2017. He was able to reduce cerebral intelligent highest-Williams-engineering-test-scorer-Schumi-beater Nico Rosberg into a petulant "I hit Lewis at Spa to prove a point" type driver. He reduced Alonso, a driver of probably unparalleled ability and potential, to lose his head completely.

Yep Max has the potential based on raw ability but he'll have to be close to perfect over an entire season unless he has a car advantage.

Well not necessarily, Lewis wasn't and didn't in 2008.

Perhaps more importantly, how many times in recent years has the winner not had a car advantage? 2018, 2008, 2007, 2006?

EDIT - just read the post you were responded to!  :mad:  So yeah, equal cars with Lewis he would have to maximise, shown he can do it I think (post the first few races last season) but, as you say, WDC battle a different beast - especially your first.

Edited by robefc, 14 April 2019 - 10:09.

#962 jjcale

jjcale

• 11,330 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:11

What you say is true - but its worth noting that Max has shown much increased maturity between last year and this one... even without taking his age into account. 

I am actually surprised how he keeps his head so much better this year.  

#963 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,865 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:13

What you say is true - but its worth noting that Max has shown much increased maturity between last year and this one... even without taking his age into account.

I am actually surprised how he keeps his head so much better this year.

Actually that’s since Monaco last year, looks that’s where he flipped a switch.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 14 April 2019 - 10:14.

#964 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,560 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:17

Less than 24hrs ago he was saying Lewis had lost motivation. :rolleyes:

Brings clicks on YouTube I guess :p

#965 NateF

NateF

• 2,967 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:19

Brings clicks on YouTube I guess :p

He could at least provide us with some juicy inside info, he spent four years with Hamilton and he comes out with not a nary bit of anything interesting.

#966 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 3,655 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:29

Kimi must feel better than ever right now, imagine being public dressed down again like LEC today. Embarrassing.

#967 AlexFone

AlexFone

• 114 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:35

Think Mercedes are just strolling to another bag of titles. On raw pace I believe Ferrari have the fastest car but when the chips are down when it matters the Merc team delivers week in week out. Ferrari don’t have an answer at present. Pretty much like last season.

#968 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,642 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:37

Ferrari does his best to mess up strategy. They could have easily stopped Leclerc earlier. He lost so much time at the end of his first stint that the gap was made to Verstappen, while both could have been in front of him. Without Ferrari obstructing, Leclerc would have finished every race in front of Vettel with ease.

#969 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,878 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:39

Checked the highlights. Of all the racing this weekend, on its 1000th race, F1 seemed to be the most boring  :kiss:

#970 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,352 posts

Actually that’s since Monaco last year, looks that’s where he flipped a switch.

I still think it’s different when in a title battle. That takes a special kind of calmness and maturity, especially when you don’t have a car advantage. It’s easy when you’re battling for P4 but see what title battles did to a young Hamilton and what they are doing today to a mature Vettel! Even Alonso cracked under the pressure and he’s up there with the best when it comes to calmness.

#971 jjcale

jjcale

• 11,330 posts

People are over reacting ..... this season is far from over ... even MV is a legit title contender at this stage. 

Right now this is a 5 way race.

That could change depending on what the developments to be put on the cars at Barcelona brings - if nothing changes then you can say Merc and LH are the overwhelming favourites but right now it is close enough for the development race to be the biggest factor in the outcome of the championships.

As an LH fan, I am wary of MV since I can see Redbull out developing everyone again .... and if Ferrari find the sweet spot with their car/gets a handle on their reliability issue in a way that does not compromise performance anymore, I can see them easily taking the titles. 

#972 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,634 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:40

bullshit

Got any actual refutation or contrapoint other than just bad language?

#973 jjcale

jjcale

• 11,330 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:42

Ferrari does his best to mess up strategy. They could have easily stopped Leclerc earlier. He lost so much time at the end of his first stint that the gap was made to Verstappen, while both could have been in front of him. Without Ferrari obstructing, Leclerc would have finished every race in front of Vettel with ease.

Is it possible that Ferrari wanted to make sure CL and SV were nowhere near each other on track?

CL being 5th is easier to manage than having them crash or otherwise being in open conflict with each other. 

And even so they still have a problem ... next time they ask CL to move over, there is a real chance that he might not. 

#974 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 366 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:43

You forgot the "Hamilton-beater" part there.

#975 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 931 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:43

The podium ceremony was disappointing. After all the hype around the race, I expected them to do something special – give laurel wreaths or a one-off trophy to commemorate the 1000th race. Instead we got another Heineken star.

#976 Anja

Anja

• 4,281 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:44

People are over reacting ..... this season is far from over ... even MV is a legit title contender at this stage. 

Right now this is a 5 way race.

That could change depending on what the developments to be put on the cars at Barcelona brings - if nothing changes then you can say Merc and LH are the overwhelming favourites but right now it is close enough for the development race to be the biggest factor in the outcome of the championships.

As an LH fan, I am wary of MV since I can see Redbull out developing everyone again .... and if Ferrari find the sweet spot with their car/gets a handle on their reliability issue in a way that does not compromise performance anymore, I can see them easily taking the titles. 

Toto, is that you?

#977 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 9,634 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:46

You forgot the "Hamilton-beater" part there.

That goes to a Mercedes-AMG V6 and thick, humid Malaysian air...

#978 jjcale

jjcale

• 11,330 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:48

And finally, before I sign off for today, where is the love for the king of the midfield? ... the man who consistently performs miracles... so regularly that folks dont even realise that he is performing actual miracles any more.... we see him always in the points and dont realise what an amazing achievement it is sometimes. 

Star of the Race was AA ... KR also did great ..... but SP does this almost every single time - in good cars and bad .... somehow this dude puts whatever he is given into the top 10. 

And this year he is driving a sh1tbox ... the man deserves props. 

Edited by jjcale, 14 April 2019 - 10:52.

#979 statman

statman

• 4,821 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 10:57

The podium ceremony was disappointing. After all the hype around the race, I expected them to do something special – give laurel wreaths or a one-off trophy to commemorate the 1000th race. Instead we got another Heineken star.

indeed, it all (whole weekend) felt underwhelming given the hype they themselves put on this event.

Would've liked to see the drivers do something like a little mini-race in old (f1) cars, but then again the 'that's dangerous brigade' will probably prevent that from happening.

But just something special, instead we got a half-hearted attempt by Alain Prost to wave the finish flag

Advertisement

#980 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,642 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:00

The special F1 promo skipped from 91 to 00 or something like that, skipping all the cool and proper sounding cars...

#981 CharlesWinstone

CharlesWinstone

• 708 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:07

Quelle surprise... Kvyat thinks the penalty was unjust, he'll never learn

It was injust. Racing incident nothing more. The stewards rarely penalise first lap incidents. Why make up a culprit now?

#982 GunnarN7

GunnarN7

• 85 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:14

Also, Vettel taking out Bottas at Paul Ricard last year was only a five-second penalty, right? How can this be a drive through then?

#983 ANF

ANF

• 10,222 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:16

It was injust. Racing incident nothing more. The stewards rarely penalise first lap incidents. Why make up a culprit now?

But sometimes they do penalize driver errors that cause an accident. For example, Stroll got a drive-through at COTA and Kimi got a 10-second penalty at Silverstone last year.

#984 peggle

peggle

• 447 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:18

I could understand the decision to swap Vettel and Leclerc had Vettel sailed off into the distance, instead all we saw was Vettel consistently locking up without pulling any kind of substantial gap, this could well come back to bite them in the arse in the future, Leclerc will not by my jusdgement be the type to be Vettels whipping boy and should a opening come up in say MB he may well consider bolting if he feels he is being treated as a second class driver

#985 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 515 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:20

Also, Vettel taking out Bottas at Paul Ricard last year was only a five-second penalty, right? How can this be a drive through then?

Different drivers/team, different penalties...

#986 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 577 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:24

In news that are somehow both hilarious and tragic, it is quite likely that F1 faked at least some of the cool down room tweets. Many hours before the race had even started…

https://twitter.com/...4077714432?s=21

#987 TheGoldenStoffel

TheGoldenStoffel

• 515 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:41

In news that are somehow both hilarious and tragic, it is quite likely that F1 faked at least some of the cool down room tweets. Many hours before the race had even started…

Things like this don't even surprise me anymore in American F1

#988 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,060 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:41

Liberty does everything to go a WWE route, Will Smith fake radio messages, Netflix documentation with no existing rivalries and then this  :well:

#989 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 4,411 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:56

All I can say about that race was that it completely failed to engage me.

And that, these days ,is the norm rather than an odd occurance. Where has it all gone wrong?*

*bit of a rhetorical question, I have a million and one ideas as to why.

#990 noikeee

noikeee

• 15,954 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:08

Another driver would not even had had a penalty - it would have been seen as first lap incident .... he got the penalty for being "the torpedo".... I could understand that if he was on a string of incidents but he has been OK since his return, so I dont think he needs special treatment.

He hit two cars who did nothing wrong, due to his mistake.

Now, I don't agree with punishing honest mistakes like this, but it's hardly unheard of in F1 that they do so in these cases. Specially when there's multiple "victims".

#991 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,642 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:42

Norris had the same oversteer moment as Kvyat had. The penalty was very harsh.

#992 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 349 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:49

Kvyat penalty was fully deserved. He acted like Sainz wasn't there. Like Grosjean acted with Hamilton at Spa 2012. Just because you're in front, doesn't mean you have the right to drive into the other car.

It had nothing to do with catching oversteer, Kvyat just let his car weave to the left. Probably he didn't see him. Kvyat's reaction after the race said it all. He was just angry and stormed off. He didn't even have one single argument against his penalty, probably because there wasn't one.

On a more important note, just like Bahrain the directing was awfull. So many fights and overtakes were missed. For people saying it was a boring race, it probably wasn't that boring, but they missed all the action. :down:

#993 Kershy

Kershy

• 475 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:55

Norris had the same oversteer moment as Kvyat had. The penalty was very harsh.

yes but that was due to being out wide on the astro turf and he didn't hit anyone while catching it. Kyvat had to catch it because he was too hard on the throttle on corner exit, he subsequently clattered into 2 cars. The incident doesn't look as incriminating towards Kyvat because Sainz saw it coming and got out of it otherwise he was more than halfway alongside whereas when the contact happened it was wheel to wheel.

#994 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,896 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:55

FiA punishes incidence's according to the outcome. Nothing new

Imagine Vettel got the same penalty for pushing Verstappen off the track, as Grosjean got when he pushed Hamilton off the track in Spa creating that huge pile up.

Grosjean had already many incidents before, granted.

Edited by nosecone, 14 April 2019 - 12:56.

#995 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,642 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:00

FiA punishes incidence's according to the outcome. Nothing new

Imagine Vettel got the same penalty for pushing Verstappen off the track, as Grosjean got when he pushed Hamilton off the track in Spa creating that huge pile up.

Grosjean had already many incidents before, granted.

The Vettel push was similar to the push Verstappen gave Bottas in Monza, though Verstappen left Bottas more space than Vettel gave Verstappen, running the latter of the track.

#996 EdgarMed

EdgarMed

• 46 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:01

This race just proved that Ferrari sucks.

That #1 and # 2 policy is ridiculous at this stage of the season. I'm having a hard time trying to understand why are they protecting Vettel so much. He hasn't delivered to win a championship with them...so why? Looks like the feel they owe a championship to Vettel... please Ferrari, just let them fight.

As someone said here, now I understand that Kimi was probably trying to do his best but Ferrari was all the time hindering his races. They not only made Leclerc to lose his place with Vettel, but with Verstappen as well. How on Earth they allowed that to happen? 

Hamilton is already smashing Bottas. He's having a strong start of the season. Usually he was having some difficulties in the first races, but not this year, which is scary.

Gasly is still a big wtf. Mclaren is again slipping back in the order as races unfold. 

Albon seems to be a top quality driver. WOW

Kimi is doing such an amazing job. It's amazing how good he is compared to Gio. Kimi is sealing his career the best way possible: proving he's a legend.

Edited by EdgarMed, 14 April 2019 - 13:05.

#997 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,343 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:05

That wasn't a terribly enthralling race, was it?

#998 enjoyingRBR

enjoyingRBR

• 343 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:11

since the first 6 races of 2018 (5 of those actually where bad) Max has a streak of 18 close to perfect races..

Lots of people keep claiming these "raw edges" but 18!! is quite an impressive streak and proves to me he is getting bettter and better

#999 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 351 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:20

It was interesting that Binotto said one of their drivers would definitely have been undercut by Max either way. That's obviously not true in the sense that they also have the option to pit rather than waiting for Max to do so but I guess if you are focussed on what's in front of you then you are less likely to pit earlier than you want to and you can only protect both cars if you pit the lead driver even earlier (to allow the second driver to also pit without getting undercut).

Lewis needs to learn that pulling away too far in the first stint means you'll get pitted second! 

Well, Horner says that a 2-stopper always looked faster for them.
If at the same time Ferrari preferred the 1-stopper, Binotto is on the mark I suppose. It's hard to drive away from a car that's planning a stop more and moving to faster tire.

Advertisement

#1000 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 351 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:25

Max I think certainly has the potential. However he hasn't been tested in a championship battle. 

For F1, that's true. And we only have F3 in cars to judge him by, really.
In karts though, Max was beating outright karting professionals on his way to cars.
In F1, Max has taken car of the political Sainz and the insanely quick and popular Ricciardo. Lewis would be another level for sure, but Max would probably enjoy the challenge.
And he's be a threat politically when joining Mercedes. He does speak German and a Lewis is just the GOAT behind the wheel. Rosberg managed to get him eventually as well through politics and a bit of luck.