Photo
- - - - -

2019 Chinese GP RACE 1000 thread

• Please log in to reply
1056 replies to this topic

Poll: 2019 Chinese GP (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Race winner?

1. Bottas (19 votes [21.59%])

Percentage of vote: 21.59%

2. Hamilton (50 votes [56.82%])

Percentage of vote: 56.82%

3. Vettel (6 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

4. Leclerc (4 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

5. Verstappen (5 votes [5.68%])

Percentage of vote: 5.68%

6. Someone else (4 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Points scorers?

1. Renault (76 votes [29.34%])

Percentage of vote: 29.34%

2. Haas (51 votes [19.69%])

Percentage of vote: 19.69%

3. Toro Rosso (38 votes [14.67%])

Percentage of vote: 14.67%

4. Racing Point (24 votes [9.27%])

Percentage of vote: 9.27%

5. McLaren (27 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

6. Alfa Romeo (40 votes [15.44%])

Percentage of vote: 15.44%

7. Williams (3 votes [1.16%])

Percentage of vote: 1.16%

Winning strategy?

1. One stop (26 votes [29.55%])

Percentage of vote: 29.55%

2. Two stop (62 votes [70.45%])

Percentage of vote: 70.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1001 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:29

yes but that was due to being out wide on the astro turf and he didn't hit anyone while catching it. Kyvat had to catch it because he was too hard on the throttle on corner exit, he subsequently clattered into 2 cars. The incident doesn't look as incriminating towards Kyvat because Sainz saw it coming and got out of it otherwise he was more than halfway alongside whereas when the contact happened it was wheel to wheel.

Norris rejoined much more abruptly than for instance Max having bee pushed wide by Vettel. When you re-join, I'm not sure you can expect the car on the track to be equally forthcoming to you, let alone more.
KVY is a bit like Max early on. Very unpopular with the establishment, prone to getting harsher penalties than others.
I do like Kvyat and hope he can get on top of this. A slight refining of his craft (not just race craft) and he's really up there with almost anyone.

Advertisement

#1002 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,762 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:37

Well not necessarily, Lewis wasn't and didn't in 2008.

Perhaps more importantly, how many times in recent years has the winner not had a car advantage? 2018, 2008, 2007, 2006?

EDIT - just read the post you were responded to!  :mad:  So yeah, equal cars with Lewis he would have to maximise, shown he can do it I think (post the first few races last season) but, as you say, WDC battle a different beast - especially your first.

No I meant that Max would have to be close to perfect if he was up against Lewis in a championship battle (and if Max didn't have a clear car advantage).

Lewis didn't have a car advantage in 2008, nor was he anywhere near perfect, but he wasn't fighting a complete-driver Lewis of >2012 either. He was fighting Massa, Kimi and Kova. He probably would't have won the championship had it been Alonso as team mate, or Alonso in the Ferrari.

#1003 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:39

Ferrari really seem to be trying but are disadvantaging their most promising driver twice in three races now. And he's just new with the team, look how much pressure he puts on Vettel already! The fact that they keep getting split or even beat by Max says a lot about their strategy game. Three times their car was much better. And not just on one-lap pace. End of 2018, Red Bull had them on race pace, but 2019 so far, Red Bull are left chasing. Somehow Max by himself beats both superstars in better cars. That cannot only be down to Max although his streak of near perfect races is becoming extraordinary. Ferrari are dropping the ball. And gambling on the falling star Vettel seems to be a losing proposition. Leclerc will eventually be off into the distance an then come a few point short of a legendary title. Vettle cost them two championships in a row with driving errors coupled with too shaky a #1 treatment. Now the #1 treatment is here but for the driver that made the spin in Bahrain. They may manage to keep Vettel ahead of Leclerc, but ahead of Verstappen will be just as hard this way, even with a superior car. And if they get to win races, this is not how you win titles.
One consideration, they do need Vettel to keep this up for at least another year after this one. Would he even show up next season if he loses to a new team mate coming over from the junior team again?

#1004 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 575 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:40

Norris had the same oversteer moment as Kvyat had. The penalty was very harsh.

That wasn’t actually Norris’ fault at all, as he got a tap from Sainz.

#1005 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 3,762 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:50

since the first 6 races of 2018 (5 of those actually where bad) Max has a streak of 18 close to perfect races..

Lots of people keep claiming these "raw edges" but 18!! is quite an impressive streak and proves to me he is getting bettter and better

Yes agreed he's been great, but he hasn't been tested yet. If you think that last season and this season so far equates being tested, then we're talking about two different things.

For F1, that's true. And we only have F3 in cars to judge him by, really.
In karts though, Max was beating outright karting professionals on his way to cars.
In F1, Max has taken car of the political Sainz and the insanely quick and popular Ricciardo. Lewis would be another level for sure, but Max would probably enjoy the challenge.
And he's be a threat politically when joining Mercedes. He does speak German and a Lewis is just the GOAT behind the wheel. Rosberg managed to get him eventually as well through politics and a bit of luck.

Lewis looked amazing in almost every series up to F1, and he looked amazing in his rookie season 2007 going toe to toe with his juggernaut team mate until the latter half of the season when he made some crucial mistakes in some races. 2008 was even worse but his top performances salvaged it against less than top-tier competition. In 2011, with 4 years of experience under his belt he let utter desperation for a second title get the better of him trying to pull results out a mediocre car and having poor judgement of risk. I feel like 2011 was truly the year that Lewis was "tested" and developed into the driver he is today.

Seb was a 4 x WDC and was tested in 2017 and 2018. Pretty obvious he didn't pass.

#1006 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 575 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:54

You have to credit Toto Wolff and the leadership at Mercedes for something Ferrari hasn’t managed since Brawn and Todt left all those years ago. A team culture and work environment that minimises mistakes and is finely honed to bring in the best possible results week in, week out, no matter how good or bad your car actually is.

With Ferrari, each time they have the pace advantage, you almost have to wonder “What will go wrong this time?” And when they don’t have at least that, they still manage to maneuver themselves into even deeper manure than they were in before.

Same thing today: After the badly communicated and executed team orders (I thought Leclerc had to wait an extraordinarily long amount of time for Vettel to catch up to him), instead of being aggressive, attacking Verstappen behind who was very obviously in the undercut window for both cars, they left it to Red Bull to go on the offensive and were almost doubly punished for it, only saved by an increasingly rare moment of good, hard, and mistake-free defending from Seb. And then, when they had, once again very obviously, left Leclerc hung out to dry, they didn’t even commit to the one-stop proper. He would’ve finished 5th at worst regardless of one or two stops, but at least he would have had a chance to fight for fourth with one of the options. I mean, c’mon, try something!

#1007 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 1,249 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 13:55

Gutted to see Leclerc get the Kimi strategy - he needs to put his foot down on that now, while his stock is high.

Great performance from the champ - you could from his launch on the parade lap he was in for a good start.

#1008 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:21

Where is that Ferrari pace? Maybe this circuit suited the Merc more, indeed the pace was there for all to see in Bahrain in Lec's hands at least. Ah poor Leclerc, I hate how Ferrari are treating him. He would have finished ahead of Vet in Aus, Bahrain and today should Ferrari not have stepped in. HE really needs to address this asap because he simply cannot fall into the second driver role this early in both his F1 and Ferrari career. It is actually annoying to see him listen to these orders. Lay down a marker for God's sake, I don't imagine Max would have done that in his shoes, just as Lewis didn't with Alonso. To be considered a number 1 driver you need to take that title not wait for others to come around to your view.

#1009 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 575 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:28

Where is that Ferrari pace? Maybe this circuit suited the Merc more, indeed the pace was there for all to see in Bahrain in Lec's hands at least. Ah poor Leclerc, I hate how Ferrari are treating him. He would have finished ahead of Vet in Aus, Bahrain and today should Ferrari not have stepped in. HE really needs to address this asap because he simply cannot fall into the second driver role this early in both his F1 and Ferrari career. It is actually annoying to see him listen to these orders. Lay down a marker for God's sake, I don't imagine Max would have done that in his shoes, just as Lewis didn't with Alonso. To be considered a number 1 driver you need to take that title not wait for others to come around to your view.

Right now I’m just enjoying the Ferrari faithful tearing themselves apart in the personnel thread. It’s honestly amusing.

Personally, I think it’s more useful for Leclerc to register his displeasure and otherwise do his best than to openly practice mutiny three races into his Ferrari career. Keeps up the pressure on Binotto & Co. and doesn’t make him out to be a troublemaker.

#1010 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:40

Right now I’m just enjoying the Ferrari faithful tearing themselves apart in the personnel thread. It’s honestly amusing.

Personally, I think it’s more useful for Leclerc to register his displeasure and otherwise do his best than to openly practice mutiny three races into his Ferrari career. Keeps up the pressure on Binotto & Co. and doesn’t make him out to be a troublemaker.

I see your point but it also courts the possibility that he will slowly start to fall into that role more regularly, if there is another team order in the next race and Leclerc lets Vettel by or doesn't overtake while faster then I'm sorry but he is just there to make up the numbers. Imo he is looking the better bet for Ferrari atm and he should behave as such, he should be behaving as the next WDC and not Kimi mark 2.

#1011 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,027 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:45

Another gloriously smoggy day in Shanghai - beautiful.

Spent 2 weeks in Shanghai about 15 years ago. Never saw a blue sky, the sun was only ever a strange orangish fuzzy disk you could look at with no risk of eye damage. The blue sky for the practice yesterday was an outlandish occurrence. 

Don't get me wrong, I had a tremendous time there, and we did weekend trips to Beijing and Xian (my wife was working a project there and I went along for the experience). The temples, the museums, the Bund and Pudong... it was the most wonderful time. But, the sun was not part of that experience. 

#1012 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,675 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:49

This was perfect showcase for event 1000.

No fight for the lead
A team-order which seemed unecessary and just compounds the lack of racing
A penalty that never should've been a penalty.
Near perfect reliability just underlining the lack of tension once the race is set
Lack of coverage of the actual battles in the mid-pack
And showing how, with equal tyres how it was almost impossible to get close to the guy ahead.

The celebratory race 1000 just showed everything thats wrong with modern F1!

Edited by Myrvold, 14 April 2019 - 21:59.

#1013 djparky

djparky

• 1,029 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:54

And you forgot another dreary Tilkedrome and the halo!!!

But yes pretty much sums up F1

#1014 P123

P123

• 16,028 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:00

No fight for the lead
Near perfect reliability just underlining the lack of tension once the race is set
And showing how, with equal tyres how it was almost impossible to get close to the guy ahead.

The celebratory race 1000 jusy showed everything thats wrong with modern F1!

Depends what you consider 'modern F1', because apart from the bolded bit F1 has pretty much always been this way since I started watching 30+ years ago.

#1015 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 575 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:02

I see your point but it also courts the possibility that he will slowly start to fall into that role more regularly, if there is another team order in the next race and Leclerc lets Vettel by or doesn't overtake while faster then I'm sorry but he is just there to make up the numbers. Imo he is looking the better bet for Ferrari atm and he should behave as such, he should be behaving as the next WDC and not Kimi mark 2.

That is a possibility, but it is up to him to produce the kind of pace and, moving on from there, results that make team orders unnecessary. He can absolutely do that, so I’m not too worried right now. I’m also counting on Binotto being far too sensible to abuse the team order tool too much, especially if the plan is for Leclerc to be around long after Vettel is gone. At some point, it’s pretty clear that one of your guys is the faster one, and then you should let him have a crack at it.

#1016 vee10

vee10

• 176 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:05

I thought the cameraman at Turn 1 was the star of the show obviously been on the Baijiu juice the night before.

Other than that a terrible race for our 1000th. Unless your a Mercedes it's embarrassing, Renault have only finished 2/6 this season cars and lie 4th in the constructors along with Alfa. The rest of the field is doing a terrible job this season.  :confused:

Edited by vee10, 14 April 2019 - 15:06.

#1017 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,675 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 15:59

Depends what you consider 'modern F1', because apart from the bolded bit F1 has pretty much always been this way since I started watching 30+ years ago.

I could've added bad production not showing of the actual speed of the cars. Granted, the "whole backstraight" cam was cool, especially when you saw the top 5 cars there, but it was used a bit too much.
Tracks making the cars look much slower than they are.
Unpunishing tracks where you can drive on or off the track with not much difference. Well, except T-Last. 

Regardless, while I know from when I started watching F1, it's usually been two, sometimes three teams that's been ahead. For many years there was excitement in reliability and punishing tracks, you knew it was always a chance that something could happen.
Also, going 30 years back, there was still dirty air, but the cars could follow each other closer than today. Team-orders at that time was just a negative by the fact that it was a team-order, now it just furthers the impact of no proper fighting.

F1 is extremely predictable - this race showed perfectly just that. You can point out what ever reason why - but the fact is, it wasn't this predictable when you started watching F1, it wasn't this predictable when I started watching 10 years later than you either. 

In the last 100 races, 12 times have a driver from outside a top three team had a podium. In the first two years I watched F1, that happened 15 times in 32 races one of those races even had a whole podium of cars outside the top 3 constructors. Even since 2014 we've only had 7 wins from teams outside the top two constructors, that's 7 of 117 GP's. The first 117 GP's I watched had 14 winners outside top 14 - and two of those year were the most dominant Ferrari years.

F1 just isn't impressive anymore, with it's huge drive to delta(which in itself isn't a bad thing, but it should be way more driver-handled), computerized, power-steering processional racedays, with little to none excitement about something unexpected happening. The drivers aren't gladiators anymore, the racing is dull, the tracks even worse.

I thought the cameraman at Turn 1 was the star of the show obviously been on the Baijiu juice the night before.

Other than that a terrible race for our 1000th. Unless your a Mercedes it's embarrassing, Renault have only finished 2/6 this season cars and lie 4th in the constructors along with Alfa. The rest of the field is doing a terrible job this season.  :confused:

That's more the directors fault who for some reason cut to the T1 when there were no real reason to do so.

#1018 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:05

Another driver would not even had had a penalty - it would have been seen as first lap incident .... he got the penalty for being "the torpedo".... I could understand that if he was on a string of incidents but he has been OK since his return, so I dont think he needs special treatment. 

This. I think his reputation got him, which isn't fair. Seems he and Max have gotten really hard looks by the stewards in recent history. Lewis, OTOH, seems to have fallen into their favor in recent years. How times have changed.

#1019 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,641 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:15

No fight for the lead - This is F1 of the last 20-30 years. Nothing new here.
A team-order which seemed unecessary and just compounds the lack of racing - Standard operating procedure for Ferrari since Schumacher. Nothing new here.
A penalty that never should've been a penalty. - This was unfortunate, IMO. Kvyat's reputation precedes him.
Near perfect reliability just underlining the lack of tension once the race is set - Reliability improvements have been a good thing. Races of high attrition were bleeping terrible, not tense.
Lack of coverage of the actual battles in the mid-pack - Stupid race director. They need to find the few directors that do a good job, and rotate them throughout the season. No reason for them being country-specific, which I believe they are. Some countries hire the worst directors.
And showing how, with equal tyres how it was almost impossible to get close to the guy ahead. - This is down to regulations, which teams fight to keep stable. That and the rules committee hasn't thought up many good ideas to promote racing. For example, they removed the fiddly bits from the front wings, but then widened them. Whatever they hoped to claw back, they invariably conceded.

F1 is what it is. It's better today than in the 90s. I think the main frustration should be with Red Bull not having a competitive engine. Hope that Honda can pull it off, otherwise it's a 2-horse race with one of them being a lame that's prone to self-inflicted injury.

Advertisement

#1020 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 1,554 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:16

Lewis's performance after a tricky few practice sessions shows again why he is a 5xwdc, Bottas didn't even get DRS once even with a big help from the team on the first pits

Ferrari did everything wrong

The fastest lap point is great for viewers so it should stay

Merc should have double stacked for the first pits aswell as the gap was bigger

The "98% chance of overtake" graphics that come up in an overcut situation, are abismal, I hate it so much, an exciting part of the race ruined, and I know they will keep it for years, worst thing of the season for me so far

Edited by cheekybru, 14 April 2019 - 18:18.

#1021 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,080 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:48

No fight for the lead

Agree with you there on many points and disagree on others:

Firstly, people clutching to the old fallacy of "it has always been like that, therefore, it will continue to be like that" are, well, arguing with fallacies, so not even worth discussing further. Things can change and the fact that it was a certain way before doesn't mean anything. IF there's will and agreement, F1 can be made better.

As far as TOs go, there have been long arguments here. IMO they should ban them and police them as best as possible. That would bring back the best potential fights of them all: between teammates (in theory the most evenly matched cars). People defending them have their reasons, but, if they agree that they should exist, they shouldn't expect them to benefit their preferred driver.

I don't agree with better reliability being a negative as a surprising result due to lack of reliability can be unfair to the drivers and is random by definition. IMO they should take advantage of the improved reliability to improve racing, not make it worse, by allowing the use of as many parts as necessary so that drivers can push as much as possible, as long as possible. How much of the current lack of racing is due to the conservation mentality? "You are 10 seconds behind, it's not worth trying to catch up, put everything on safe mode..."

You forgot DRS: how much more fighting time we would have been able to see without it. They seem to think that once a driver has caught up with another one, he somehow has "a right" to pass. This by itself throws in the trash a huge part of race car driving: defending, and robs us fans of potential great fights.

#1022 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 18:52

Unreliability has the advantage that even a season with dominating teams/drivers and dull races can have a reasonable element of unpredictability without being artificial. It's something that has written many dramas, which is in the end something that does define the sport a lot.

#1023 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,276 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 19:03

Zzzzzzzzzzz....
Jp

#1024 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 2,290 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 20:16

You forgot DRS: how much more fighting time we would have been able to see without it. They seem to think that once a driver has caught up with another one, he somehow has "a right" to pass. This by itself throws in the trash a huge part of race car driving: defending, and robs us fans of potential great fights.

Disagree with this......DRS just means the car ahead is not lapping fast enough, speedup or prepare to be be overtaken.....and "fighting time" is laps and tire wear you lose to guys further up the grid..... 

#1025 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,387 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 20:19

In news that are somehow both hilarious and tragic, it is quite likely that F1 faked at least some of the cool down room tweets. Many hours before the race had even started…

https://twitter.com/...4077714432?s=21

Fake like the title battles we have.

#1026 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,202 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 20:33

This F1 1000 banner ended up exactly the top 5 result for the very race after all

5 3 1 2 4

z1554952207.jpg

#1027 Heyli

Heyli

• 2,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 20:36

Fake like the title battles we have.

Why would you even type fake messages in advance... Seems very inefficient? You can always just type the fake ones after the race, when you know what the actual result was to save yourself some trouble?

#1028 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,675 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:14

F1 is what it is. It's better today than in the 90s. I think the main frustration should be with Red Bull not having a competitive engine. Hope that Honda can pull it off, otherwise it's a 2-horse race with one of them being a lame that's prone to self-inflicted injury.

Disagreed. Not sure I can find one thing that is better today than in the 90's. That the cars are faster maybe, but they look slower and easier to handle, so for me the negatives there are bigger than the positives.

I am actually not frustrated about the Honda engine, it's like the Supertec/Playlife/Mechachrome in the late 90's, old Renault engines not being up for it. Or Williams with their Judd engines in 88. These things happens
However, that there are no other manufacturer wanting to come in, and there is realistically no way for any engine maker to make a PU for F1 now, no matter how much Red Bull would pay for it is a negative thing. Had it been the 90's, or 80's or earlier, there would've been more than one engine/PU manufacturer wanting to get their stuff in to a Red Bull.

Unreliability has the advantage that even a season with dominating teams/drivers and dull races can have a reasonable element of unpredictability without being artificial. It's something that has written many dramas, which is in the end something that does define the sport a lot.

Indeed. It's not that I like situations like Toyota at Le Mans, or, for me personally, even worse, Luca Badoer at Nurburgring in 99 where I remain convinced that without the botched pit-stop from Minardi he would've finished second.
However, that was real, that was things that could happen at any time back then. While it looked safe and sound, you never really knew if the cars would last. It was a reason to keep watching. That's gone as well.

#1029 THEWALL

THEWALL

• 2,080 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:10

Disagree with this......DRS just means the car ahead is not lapping fast enough, speedup or prepare to be be overtaken.....and "fighting time" is laps and tire wear you lose to guys further up the grid.....

Yet the guy in front is still in front...if you can’t pass him, maybe you’re not such a great racing driver. For some, racing is about, well, actually racing, not just doing fast laps around a circuit. That being said, DRS is the result of them having f****d up aero in the first place.

Edited by THEWALL, 15 April 2019 - 04:17.

#1030 femi

femi

• 7,391 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:39

Shanghai was supposed to favour Ferrari because of the long straights. That was the opinion of many before the race weekend. After Friday, people's opinion shifted to something like: "This is not a Ferrari friendly track after all, too many slow corners, Ferrari will show their stuff at Baku" Just wondering if Ferrari fail to replicate testing performance again at Baku, then what?

#1031 AnR

AnR

• 660 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:49

Shanghai was supposed to favour Ferrari because of the long straights. That was the opinion of many before the race weekend. After Friday, people's opinion shifted to something like: "This is not a Ferrari friendly track after all, too many slow corners, Ferrari will show their stuff at Baku" Just wondering if Ferrari fail to replicate testing performance again at Baku, then what?

It's just journalists who are trying to push some interest in a dying product, this engine era has nearly killed this sport

Noone will touch Merc until some serious change or some serious spendings..

#1032 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 10,340 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:02

It's just journalists who are trying to push some interest in a dying product, this engine era has nearly killed this sport

Noone will touch Merc until some serious change or some serious spendings..

What have engine regs got to do with it when Ferrari have a better engine???

#1033 femi

femi

• 7,391 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:44

But do they, really have a superior engine? I have heard 'em rumours too!

#1034 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:49

This F1 1000 banner ended up exactly the top 5 result for the very race after all

5 3 1 2 4

z1554952207.jpg

i still find it funny Gasly isn't on it. As if they expect nothing from him. ;)

#1035 peroa

peroa

• 10,417 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:58

Actually this track just confirmed what I was thinking after Melbourne and Bahrain.

The Ferrari is an inherently understeery car, hence why Bahrain which is rear limited suited them.

The Merc on the other hand is quite oversteery and China being a front-limited track seemed to suit them much better.

Of course it isn't as simple as that as we have seen with Vettel in Bahrain and Lew till Q2, getting the tyres to work in the window is another issue.

#1036 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,624 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:40

China has been Mercedes turf since around 2011. The car goes like lightning there.

#1037 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 1,535 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:46

And finally, before I sign off for today, where is the love for the king of the midfield? ... the man who consistently performs miracles... so regularly that folks dont even realise that he is performing actual miracles any more.... we see him always in the points and dont realise what an amazing achievement it is sometimes.

Star of the Race was AA ... KR also did great ..... but SP does this almost every single time - in good cars and bad .... somehow this dude puts whatever he is given into the top 10.

And this year he is driving a sh1tbox ... the man deserves props.

But, but... the “documentary” F1: Drive to Survive says Perez is only there because of his sponsors and makes Ocon cry when he sees all the adverts of Perez at the Mexico Grand Prix.

Edited by coppilcus, 15 April 2019 - 08:48.

#1038 AnR

AnR

• 660 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:55

is that a fact or a rumour from the same people? 

#1039 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,821 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:06

My points about this race:

• Mercedes a class above everyone in terms of professionalism. Only Red Bull can match them sometimes.
  • Hamilton is still superior to Bottas even if the finn is more competitive than last year. 
  • Ferrari better focus because their strategy is disastrous
  • Vettel was the faster of the two but needs to step up a level 
  • Leclerc is starting to moan
  • Verstappen will have a lonely year
  • Gasly way out of pace
  • Midfield very tight but Haas is disapointing [specialy Grosjean that couldn't get Albon in the end with fresher tires and a better car]
  • Kimi scored points in all 3 races so far. He's being lucky to escape Kvyat and Magnussen but all of that will end in the next race. Expect Kimi to be at the barriers  in less than 30 seconds after the race starts. 
  • Albon was the driver of the race and i'm very impressed with the kid
  • Peréz was the second driver of the day
  • Kubica is hanging there with Russel in a fast lap and even in race trim :up:

Edited by Taxi, 15 April 2019 - 09:07.

Advertisement

#1040 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:42

is that a fact or a rumour from the same people?

They are quicker on the straights, that is indeed a fact.

#1041 as65p

as65p

• 22,060 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:25

They are quicker on the straights, that is indeed a fact.

I remember back in the  90's when the Arrows were regularily blinding fast in a straight line, and it had nothing to do with the old Cosworth lump in the back of their car (of course their overall lap times were slow).

I mean, I haven't got a clue how Ferrari has that straightline speed thing going (nobody seems to), just saying it doesn't necessarily need to be the engine giving them that advantage.

#1042 Konsta

Konsta

• 2,661 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:40

Ahem...ahem...McLaren 2005 would beg to differ. Abysmal reliability from a top team :)

#1043 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:47

I remember back in the 90's when the Arrows were regularily blinding fast in a straight line, and it had nothing to do with the old Cosworth lump in the back of their car (of course their overall lap times were slow).

I mean, I haven't got a clue how Ferrari has that straightline speed thing going (nobody seems to), just saying it doesn't necessarily need to be the engine giving them that advantage.

Haas and Sauber are usually quicker on the straights than Force India and Williams as well, though. Already last year. Seems a bit like too much of an coincidence

#1044 statman

statman

• 4,820 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:21

indeed, it all (whole weekend) felt underwhelming given the hype they themselves put on this event.

Would've liked to see the drivers do something like a little mini-race in old (f1) cars, but then again the 'that's dangerous brigade' will probably prevent that from happening.

But just something special, instead we got a half-hearted attempt by Alain Prost to wave the finish flag

AMUS:

We all wanted a big party, like the 500th Grand Prix in Adelaide. The Formula 1 management made every effort to celebrate the 1,000th Grand Prix, but in the paddock and on the grandstands there was simply no atmosphere. The event remained as grey as the sky over Shanghai. China was simply an unsuitable place to celebrate such an anniversary. Too far away from the core countries of motorsport, too complicated with visas and customs regulations, too little tradition-conscious. Even in the 16th year of Formula 1 in China, sport has not yet gained a foothold in the Middle Kingdom. The race was sold out, but today there are much fewer grandstands lining the Shanghai circuit than at its debut in 2004.

The plan to invite all world champions and let all world champion cars drive around the race track had to fail. In the end, only the usual suspects of the world champions were in Shanghai. Alain Prost in his role as Renault ambassador, the TV commentators Damon Hill and Nico Rosberg. And of course the champions who are still active: Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Räikkönen. All cars and the helmets of almost all drivers wore a "1,000 Grand Prix" sticker. Half of the drivers repainted their helmets especially for the anniversary. The FIA granted an exemption. The 1,000 Grand Prix design was not one of the two paint jobs allowed per year.

Only one world champion car there

On the race track a lonely Lotus 49 in the specification of Monaco 1970 with Damon Hill at the wheel did his laps. The transport of other icons like the Mercedes W196 or Michael Schumacher's world champion Ferrari F2004 to China proved to be either too complicated or too expensive. In the paddock parked a Williams FW15C from 1993, a Stewart SF1 from 1997 and a Lotus E20 from 2012. The not present or already dead world champions were remembered by large posters. A TAG turbo from 1984, World Cup cups, steering wheels, drawings, model cars, overalls and helmets by Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher rounded off the offer.

It seemed like a desperate attempt to conjure up some history in the sad concrete desert behind the pits. The F1 management distributed commemorative coins, posters and a special programme among those who actually made it to China. A fan festival with a 2012 Renault and a 2011 Sauber took place in the city parallel to the qualification on Saturday. A five-digit number of locals flocked to Xintiandi Park.

The first race after the 999.

The drivers were divided on how to evaluate the "round birthday". Most felt it was an honour to take part in a historic event. Whether a newcomer like George Russell or a veteran like Sebastian Vettel. Kevin Magnussen also felt the special significance of the moment: "As a Formula 1 fan, it's great to be part of this race. We are part of history". In retrospect, the Dane names GP Brazil 2008 and GP Canada 2011 as his personal favourites.

Vettel particularly remembers Ayrton Senna's first victory in Brazil. Valtteri Bottas on Mika Häkkinen's first victory in Jerez in 1997. Magnussen would like to have the McLaren MP4-4 from 1988 in his garage, Nico Hülkenberg the Benetton B195-Renault from Michael Schumacher. Max Verstappen does not commit himself: "Something from the early 90s. Verstappen leads the squad of drivers who have little to do with the anniversary: "The 1,000th race is the first after the 999th" Nico Hülkenberg fears: "In our fast-moving and superficial world you can't expect too much sustainability. I fear that it will soon be one race among many." Lewis Hamilton doesn't like birthdays or anniversaries, but has had his own red cap made for the ceremony. "From Mercedes' point of view, red is not exactly true to the line. But they let me get away with it."

#1045 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,675 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 13:05

I remember back in the  90's when the Arrows were regularily blinding fast in a straight line, and it had nothing to do with the old Cosworth lump in the back of their car (of course their overall lap times were slow).

I think it was 2000 with the Supertec engine, that's the year where de la Rosa qualified 5th in Germany, and Verstappen finished just a few seconds off Schumacher in the Williams at Monza, taking 4th place.
That's the year when Arrows were quick in a straight line and fast on low downforce tracks. They didn't have that top speed in 2002 which was their first and last Cosworth year since 1991.

While the Supertec engine wasn't the sole reason for the top speed. I am fairly sure they couldn't have achieved it with they Arrows-badged Hart engine, or the free old rebadged Peugeot engine they got the year after.

Force India had success with their philosophy in 2009.

Anyway, I know this was a bit nitpicking, sorry for that :)

#1046 statman

statman

• 4,820 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:15

so, from the highlights it appears that Stroll was pressing the wrong button...

fvmw349d0js21.png?width=943&auto=webp&s=

:stoned:

#1047 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:50

And the award for most gullible driver goes to Bottas:

"I was questioning the team - if I could stop later, or carry on without stopping - but there was too big a risk in terms of tyre life. I was questioning it because if I could do something different other than stopping behind Lewis, that was going to be my only chance to win the race. (...) And now, seeing all the data, from the team's point of view I think it was definitely the right thing to do."

https://www.autospor...op-meant-defeat

Thank goodness Mercedes saved Bottas from his silly strategy ideas and made sure his tyres would be fine throughout the race. :p

#1048 Marklar

Marklar

• 33,486 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:14

A undercut of 4 seconds at the first stop, fresher tyres for the final stint because they wasted a set in qualifying for no reason. Others dream of so many opportunities to beat your team mate over strategy :p

if I could stop later

Sometimes I wish drivers could chose their own strategy and teams cant say anything against it. Imagine that mess, probably Ferrari would stand a chance then :p

Edited by Marklar, 16 April 2019 - 09:17.

#1049 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,936 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:26

Not only is this very cool but tbh I would have been fine with this only on Sunday morning to save time:

2019 1f1e8-1f1f3.png#ChineseGP Timelapse, #Race1000 at 100x speed. #F1 #Formula1

https://twitter.com/...459301084336129

#1050 ElectricBoogie

ElectricBoogie

• 347 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 18:52

It would been Sainz and Norris colliding even had Kvyat not lost the rear end that short moment. Kvyat was not pusing Sainz's front wing under Norris's rear wheel. It was there already. Norris slower and cutting in, Sainz faster and full throttle. Kvyat made the coming together more complex but he did not start it. Both Norris and Sainz were to blame for intentional positioning leading to a crash, Kvyat just lost the rear driving a slight bit too eagerly. 
Blame: Norris>Sainz>Kvyat. 

But Kvyat has a reputation, lots to prove, so the stewards won't acknowlegde fault.