154 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,707 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 13:41

BBC Sport - Formula 1 interested in adding second race in China

https://www.bbc.co.u...rmula1/47951936

Sean Bratches, the sport's commercial boss, said he favoured a street race and was meeting delegates from six potential host cities this week.

"We would be highly interested in a street race," he said.
"It would be a nice juxtaposition to the purpose-built facility we have [in Shanghai]. Our intent is to bring our show to the people."

Beijing is known to be one of the cities under consideration for the race.

Advertisement

#2 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 13:47

Another street circuit, seriously ?

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,707 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:10

Not a fan of street circuits in general either but I'm more interested in what potentially gets removed from the calendar to make way for this.

#4 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,910 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:12

Because we like full grand stands!

Chinese-GP-Shanghai-circuit-facts-and-st

#5 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:14

Azerbaijan race has been exciting, so why not. Liberty wants to add races to the calendar, not replace

#6 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,707 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:15

Azerbaijan race has been exciting, so why not. Liberty wants to add races to the calendar, not replace

Well, there are practical limits to that, aren't there.

#7 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:16

Right, because the first one is truly taking the country by storm...

#8 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:18

I'd favour the 6th Ring Road.

1*5XSZxYeiaLepI4FWLQdIAw.png

300px-Jingha_6thRingRoad_Jul2004.jpg

130 km lap distance. I reckon 3 laps would be plenty. Lap time around 24 minutes.

#9 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:22

Right, because the first one is truly taking the country by storm...

It gets a decent enough crowd, but from what I gather from listening to the drivers and Sky crew it takes forever to get there from Shanghai.

#10 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:30

Another street circuit, seriously ?

Making GP street circuit is a lot easier and profitable than making new real tracks. Basically traditional circuits. That's why you dont see anyone building a new tracks. Once GP street circuit is made you can tear it down by next week. You already using existing road asphalt. You dont need potential contracts with other series to try make profit  to not end up in debt due money you invested in making one. You dont need maintain the track 365 days in a year also. It's cost cutting effective.   

Sadly everything in F1 one is. 

Edited by Neno, 16 April 2019 - 14:41.

#11 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:35

Ideally there should be enough GPs people cannot remember the recent winners without a quick look at wikipedia.

It works with NASCAR. They are booming.

#12 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:46

F1 has enough GPs, enough Chinese GPs, and enough street circuits.

Is this really the best they can come up with?

Edited by Lights, 16 April 2019 - 14:47.

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:51

Well, there are practical limits to that, aren't there.

What are those limits though? They have been talking about a 25+ race season, so there are lots of spare slots in that case. Extra races is their best way of increasing their income, even if its not really the best thing for the sport.

#14 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:52

Not a fan of street circuits in general either but I'm more interested in what potentially gets removed from the calendar to make way for this.

If it replaces Sochi or Abu Dhabi then I'm al for it.  :D

But in reality it probably won't and it will either be an addition or replace one of the European rounds (or maybe Mexico) - places which attract big crowds.

#15 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:54

Nice track there: https://goo.gl/maps/qiHc14tT13G2

#16 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:56

^Get ready for the Beijing 500. 

#17 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:57

Because we like full grand stands!

To be fair, this photo was taken in 2011, and I believe attendances have been increasing in recent years.

#18 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 14:58

I am in envy of the Liberty Media Boffins.

I cannot believe I didn't think of this genius plan!

#19 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,974 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:00

130 km lap distance. I reckon 3 laps would be plenty. Lap time around 24 minutes.

I have been to Beijing a couple of times and lived by the 3rd ring road opposite CCTV's iconic building. If we could have the GP there, I could book a 'work related' travel and watch from my hotel room.

xCCTV,P2008.jpg.pagespeed.ic.8o1iJW7nD2.

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:01

I think China should remain a one-grand prix state.

#21 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:05

I think China should remain a one-grand prix state.

I see what you did there...  :rotfl:

#22 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,974 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:06

Nice track there: https://goo.gl/maps/qiHc14tT13G2

I like the plane they plonked onto the roofs......

(I know, perspective and all that)

#23 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,707 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:07

What are those limits though? They have been talking about a 25+ race season, so there are lots of spare slots in that case. Extra races is their best way of increasing their income, even if its not really the best thing for the sport.

I suppose it’s arguable but I think the consensus with last year’s triple back to back was that this was Too Much, so I don’t know where the extra slots are going to come from. You either extend the total season or you do those back to back races, which see,s very tough on the teams who are not Mercedes or Ferrari and therefore in a position to run a second team, a sort of F1 night shift.

#24 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

I imagine Liberty could be working towards a system of two parallel F1 series, each of which produces top drivers/teams.  Then, it all culminates in a final series of races to determine a single champion. That's how they get a lot more races, and creates more buzz. When one series is on one set of tracks, the other on another set of tracks, there's plenty of animated discussion about who's better than who  since the final matchup between top teams doesn't happen until the final few "Races for the Championship!"

#25 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

They should have it around the new Beijing airport. We really need another soulless concrete track!

5c3dd43bbd77306420392814-750-563.jpg

#26 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,974 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:08

From what I read, they can have the race inside. 1,000,000 sqm should be enough room.

#27 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:09

All the big bosses of Mercedes, Renault, Honda were present in Shanghai because of the motorshow there. I can't speak for the other drivers, but Lewis seemed to have a lot of support in China, so it's not like there is no interest in the sport in China. It's more the location that makes travelling difficult.

#28 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:12

I don't want it as a spectator but see the business case for it.

#29 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:14

Or you can just bring back the Malaysian GP.

#30 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:17

It seems like every month Liberty say's we would love a street race in this city or that city. It wont happen, I am worried about their obsession with street races though.

#31 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:30

It seems like every month Liberty say's we would love a street race in this city or that city. It wont happen, I am worried about their obsession with street races though.

i can see why as they are easier than a country building a purpose built track that will rarely get used once f1 leaves ie india or turkey so by promoting their liking for street tracks may mean more places would be interested in holding races

#32 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 4,006 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:32

It all makes sense now! https://en.wikipedia...ational_Circuit

"Ben Lee  :p  became the first driver to win an international race at Ordos on 3 October 2010 when he won the first..."

#33 Garndell

Garndell

• 1,287 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:32

Will it be called the Smog GP of Beijing?  Liberty should concentrate on securing the British, German and Italian GP's among other historic tracks before shoehorning more unwanted street tracks into the calendar.

I imagine Liberty could be working towards a system of two parallel F1 series, each of which produces top drivers/teams.  Then, it all culminates in a final series of races to determine a single champion. That's how they get a lot more races, and creates more buzz. When one series is on one set of tracks, the other on another set of tracks, there's plenty of animated discussion about who's better than who  since the final matchup between top teams doesn't happen until the final few "Races for the Championship!"

F1 Street (all street circuits) & F1 Track (all purpose built tracks).

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,452 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:52

Effen morons should try very, very hard to understand the project they spend billions on.

:cool:

#35 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:01

As if we need another race in this dystopian **** hole, I wonder if most people will have a good enough score in their social credit system to attend.

#36 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:06

To be fair, this photo was taken in 2011, and I believe attendances have been increasing in recent years.

I think the overall attendance is still quite high, but that stand was just as empty this year. From memory it was only ever used in the first year, and they had to give away the tickets to get people to sit in it. The trouble is it is very prominent and gets a lot of air time, not a great image for F1.

#37 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:08

I'd rather we go back to Malaysia, Turkey, or add a second round in Japan at Fuji speedway.  

It doesn't say a whole lot if you feel the only way to get F1 to fans is to practically drop the race into there morning commute...

Fans should be going to race tracks, not the other way around. This is just lazy.

#38 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,826 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:11

Hey, it worked for IndyCar!

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:23

Would be a good idea when we have 20 or so teams entering F1.

Advertisement

#40 FLB

FLB

• 29,872 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:32

Are they sure the timing is right? Don't they know the Chinese auto market has been slowing quite a bit for some months now? That growth of that market is because of government subsidies? That auto manufacturers have realized it's a volatile market?

Are they taking into account the looming trade war with the US?

#41 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,826 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:32

No, no, dislike, negatory.  It'll be similar to NA$CAR.  And proponents of this are ignoring that there aren't 30-40 tracks extant that can hold an F1 race, street or not. (Tilke is forming at the mouth over this, though.)  Where are the sanctioning fees going to come from, government subsidies?  (COTA is on shaky ground as it is.)  

#42 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:39

Are they sure the timing is right? Don't they know the Chinese auto market has been slowing quite a bit for some months now? That growth of that market is because of government subsidies? That auto manufacturers have realized it's a volatile market?

And a Chinese tycoon is calling for a 12 hour working day and a six day working week.  So who is going to have the spare time, or indeed the energy, to go to a car race?

#43 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:44

Making GP street circuit is a lot easier and profitable than making new real tracks. Basically traditional circuits. That's why you dont see anyone building a new tracks. Once GP street circuit is made you can tear it down by next week. You already using existing road asphalt. You dont need potential contracts with other series to try make profit  to not end up in debt due money you invested in making one. You dont need maintain the track 365 days in a year also. It's cost cutting effective.   

Sadly everything in F1 one is.

Why the heck they care so damn much about profit. Decide whats best, not what's most profitable. FFS
Street circuits are crap and only Baku is decent

Edited by NixxxoN, 16 April 2019 - 16:44.

#44 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:44

I had an idea like this once for I-285 around Atlanta, Georgia. 285 runs right past Hartsfield-Jackson, the busiest airport in the world, so they could just put the pitlane there and the teams wouldn't have to travel anywhere. :lol:

At 64 miles/lap, it would be a similar concept at only 3 laps and basically only 2 pit stops. They'd have to change the qualifying format just for this round, but it'd still be a sight to behold.

#45 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:48

Wish the race is at Macau around Nam Vam lake

#46 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:49

Joe Saward had a great article about this in his column on www.motorsportweek.com 

The demand is booming in China despite what arm chair experts think.  There is a real chance that Spa could be lost to make way for new Asian races once MV retires.

#47 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:55

Do Liberty need to worry about any of that? It would be the promoters problem.

#48 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:57

Why the heck they care so damn much about profit. Decide whats best, not what's most profitable. FFS
Street circuits are crap and only Baku is decent

Business people don't get rich by not caring about the profit.

#49 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 17:00

Joe Saward had a great article about this in his column on www.motorsportweek.com 

The demand is booming in China despite what arm chair experts think.  There is a real chance that Spa could be lost to make way for new Asian races once MV retires.

When MV retires? That's not likely to happen for 20+ years.

#50 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 17:04

Business people don't get rich by not caring about the profit.

Better decision (that offers a better show) = more pleased audience = more profit in the longer term
Most profitable decision but less interesting/exciting for the fans = less pleased audience = less profit in the longer term
Short sighted minds only thinking about short term