Photo

The "Golden Era" website 20 years on the Net

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,135 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:24

Today the The Golden Era of Grand Prix racing http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/    featuring Grand Prix and Voiturette racing during the Interwar period celebrates 20 years on the Net.

I therefore take the opportunity to thank all the visitors through the years, all who have shown their interest and all who have contributed to the site with information, corrections and suggestions.

Thank you all!   :D

Leif

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:28

Congrats, Leif, for a job really, really WELL DONE!!

:clap:

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:41

Itā€™s one of the best and most useful websites I know. Congratulations on your anniversary, Leif, and many thanks for all the hard work put in by you and all your contributors.

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:46

Very impressive Leif!

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:21

Leif,

Can I add my congratulations to the others.

It's not for you to thank us for visiting the site - It's for us to thank you for all the work you have put in to make this one of the best motor sport sites on the 'net.

#6 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:01

Congratulation Leif + Team

Yours is one of the few web sites that is a great deal more than a copy of our books!.

well done

Richard Page

www.formulaoneregister.com

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:42

I think Golden Era was the first motor racing site I found on t'internet. Then I found this one and discovered that Leif, Hans and Felix were all members here already. The rest, as they say, is history ...  ;)

#8 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 13:21

Congratulations!!!!!! It also was one of the first websites I discovered when I was 13, it opened a brave new world for me...

#9 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 14:04

Remember when we all were younger, it was last century and we used to spend a lot of time around here? Some of our kids were not even born and yet it was a time for dreams. Of all the dreams we even discussed to evaluate if they could become reality some happened... :love: 

Some of the members that have already expressed their opinions are well aware of what was available and to whom and what is. And yes, I agree with Duncan, it is not for Leif to come and thank anybody, we are the ones that owe Leif eternal gratitude for having devoted his adult life to compile and publish all the contents that are available on his site.

As per you, Richard, I canĀ“t for my life imagine a world where you were not around with all of us. :kiss: 

Un abrazo, Leif, what's the plan for our next 20 years?  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

#10 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:37

Congratulations! You created something really good. I've visited many, many times over the years.

#11 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:38

Congratulations and many thank yous, not only for the content but also for your persistence. Keeping up a website for 20 years *and* keeping it updated permanently is by all means no small feat (ask me how I know :blush: ).

I raise a toast for the next 20 years!

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:55

OH YES! - Many congratulations indeed, Leif, on having sustained your wonderful website so admirably well, and for so long.

With that wonderful input from Hans and Mattijs and the others you acknowledge, it was a formative factor in making me appreciate what this interweb thingie at its best could offer - it really wasn't just a time-wasting playground for nerdy bods who otherwise were probably no good at ball games.

I felt privileged when you asked me to provide you with a site Foreword back in 2002 - and I still do when I re-visit, to check a fact or a half-retained memory.  Thank you again for a superb, entirely admirable, invaluable, piece of work...

DCN

#13 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:15

One of the most useful and most valuable resources on the net. Thank you so much!

#14 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,474 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 13:21

It's like a time capsule, reminds me of the early days of the internet before flashy graphics and streaming.

#15 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 16:17

It does a good job of convincing me that the solution to some of the issues currently facing Grand Prix racing lie in its past.

Voiturettes = B teams or privateers, based on F2 cars, allowing young talents like Dick Seaman to emerge.

#16 Michkov

Michkov

• 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:23

Thank you for the site. Having spend tens of years on the internet it's still one of my favourite places to visit.

#17 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:25

Leif, it is and always has been just brilliant. My heartiest thanks for your wonderful work.

#18 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:34

Congratulations Leif.

The motivation to keep a website updated and going, I have found myself (16 years) is really difficult sometimes, so that alone is greatly admirable.

Thanks for your hard work with this and thank you for your passion that fired you to start and maintain this website. It has well covered a gaping big hole in racing history.

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 20 April 2019 - 07:36.

#19 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 16:29

Leif,

Congratulations for creating what is still one of the absolute best sites on the Internet.

It was a revelation the first time I laid eyes on it and continues to be as fascinating today.

Well done!

Don

Postscript:

As usual, there is always something....!

I think that some of the information that I have regarding the 1936 George Vanderbilt event might be of use to you. Let me know if you are interested.

HDC