• 2,491 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 21:27

Great spot Regga

Advertisement

#352 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,057 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:37

This is an artist impression of Nuvolari driving on the rim (right rear depicted, Snellman's website says it was the left rear...) at Zebetin, near Brno, in the 1937 Masaryk GP.

Besides which tyre Tazio actually lost, the problem with this picture is that it is taken in a place off the street they actually went in 1937, according to the circuit plans that can be found online. They allegedly went through there between 1949-1964, and clockwise, not anti-clockwise as before the war. Don't know whether this picture based on an actual photo taken during the race at the location, but I haven't found it. A bit of a question mark.

2079.jpg

This is the 'Silver Arrows Project.  It's art Jim, but not as we know it!  :D

2sFFZ9J.jpg

https://www.mercedes...-project-video/

ST :wave:

#353 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,057 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:59

Oh forgot...appears to have been left rear as Leif says :up:

n03Z71A.jpg

#354 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,414 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:07

Still getting stuck into it!

A very brave man...

#355 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 19,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 14:25

There's some film of that in this video:

Go to 4:35.

#356 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,414 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 15:41

And there's an awful lot more in that video...

What great film is in that, I'd reckon the cutting room floor bits would be good too.

#357 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,057 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:42

This picture allegedly shows Caracciola on the Lasarte in 1934. I haven't been able to find its location despite going around the (long) circuit. Maybe Sebastian Tombs can find it?

Yes, good news!  I have had a fabulously detailed reply from Angel Elberdin ("Circuito de Lasarte: Memorias de una pasión") to my mail and he pinpoints the exact spot 43º16' 05.0 "N,  2º01'12.6"W in the town of Lasarte. He notes that he has other pics taken on race day which show a huge amount more spectators so he thinks it must be practice day which was the 21st Sept 1934.  I thought the same due to the driver's black helmet which neither Caracciola nor Fagioli wore in the race, both wearing white.  There are fuzzy shots around which have Caracciola wearing a darker helmet in practice but these might just be poor quality.  Ernst Henne practiced but didn't start and he wore a black helmet...there's a crystal sharp pic of Henne before practice in my archive and he's wearing a black helmet.  Concesus then...Ernst Henne, Merc W25A, Friday 21st Sept 1934 entering Kale Nagusia (name of street) Lasarte.

FMm9EA7.jpg

ST

#358 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,838 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:07

Still getting stuck into it!

A very brave man...

Or more so silly unless it was the last lap.

#359 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,414 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:43

Or getting to the pits for a replacement as quickly as he can...

Advertisement

#360 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 14:33

To keep the thread going.  Here's one of the Paul Torchy accident site in Delage #13, Lasarte 19-09-1925.  The road comprising the part of the old circuit where the accident occurred is still known by locals as "La Cuesta de la Muerte", The Incline of Death, to this day.

4yhlBmg.jpg

Edit:  Actually it's known as "Heriotzaren malda" by the locals who don't speak Spanish if they can avoid it.

Edited by Sebastian Tombs, 15 August 2019 - 14:48.

#361 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,491 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 21:24

Rouen Les Essarts - Approx 20 yards into Gresil Curve July 1962 

gresil-mid-1962.jpg

Gresil from roughly same point, Oct 1998 

R-Gresil-Mid-Corner.jpg

Same point give or take a couple of yards, August 5th 2019. As ever when I visit I cleared a patch of foliage in my efforts to fight nature !!

Gresil-2.jpg

Interestingly the bollards that were fixed in the centre of the road from the pits down to Nouveau Monde have disappeared so it looks a bit more like a race track again. This is looking back from Six Freres to the 2nd corner, now perfect again for someone to chuck a 250F into a drift !!

6-Freres-back-to-T2.jpg

Edited by LittleChris, 15 August 2019 - 22:34.

#362 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,057 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 00:27

OK, as promised (!) I've done a .kmz file for the Lasarte circuit.  This is very much a SebLasarte v1.0 as there are still loads of period pics to pinpoint locations but it's a reasonable start and, with the invaluable help of Angel Elberdin's encyclopedic knowledge of the circuit it's pretty accurate.  It was made with Google Earth Pro so the illustrations will not work on an iPhone (or iPad I believe).  The pic bug goes back a long way regarding mobile devices, there is a workaround that sometimes works but it's not worth faffing about IMHO.  Works fine on desktops and laptops, Windows or Mac.  Ideally needs Google Earth Pro which is now free from the App or Microsoft Stores.  The file is utterly safe and malware-free (made by yours truly) and installs with a double click.  Pics show examples and the non-example on an iPhone.  If anyone would like a copy just pm me your mail address and I'll happily send you one with full instructions if you haven't installed a .kmz before.  Updates will be posted in due course.

hmiZIAR.jpg

Exampe of illustrated placemark.

mGvfZ9U.jpg

Example of my lappie in front of the desktop proving you can send the file by mail and install it elsewhere! :rotfl:

Example of bum iPhone performance with boggo Google Earth which is all you can get.  Pro won't run on an iPhone 8+ or any other, nor Android.

IBmVRjW.jpg