Photo

Monaco 1989 Podium - spot the smile ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moffspeed

moffspeed

• 232 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 19:23

Sometimes podium celebrations are a bit muted and usually there is a good reason, over the years race tragedy, other worldly events (think Twin Towers at Monza) and team mates stitching each other up being the most common reasons.

This week's Autosport inevitably reflects on the 25th anniversary of Senna's death. So, within the magazine, you have the account of one of Senna's finest performances - his win at Monaco in 1989.  The podium (or more correctly Rainier balcony) photo is significantly depressing. Senna has scored one of his greatest ever victories, Prost has made it a 1-2 so McLaren should be celebrating big time, Stefano Modena has sensationally scored his first career points and provided Brabham with what would turn out to be their last ever podium. The Rainiers, well they live in a nice part of the world and are not short of a bob or two so life must be pretty good...

Everyone in the podium photo looks as though they have just been told that their favourite Granny has just died. Ayrton and Alain may still have been ruminating about Imola, but Ayrton would inevitably have been relishing the win, Ron Dennis couldn't have been too unhappy with a Maca 1-2 and this was surely the stuff of dreams for Modena. The Rainiers look as though they would prefer to have been in Maldon than Monaco.

So what was it all about - other undercurrents ??

Advertisement

#2 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,869 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:09

It could be just the moment the photograph(s) were taken. Smiling is more than expressing inner joy a social interaction. In other words: people smile when they 'sense' they should be smiling. My most simple guess: the photographs were taken they were waiting for something. The hymns, perhaps? 

#3 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 896 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:43

Is it too soon to mention Bjorn Wirdheim?

#4 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:35

The drivers post race interviews in those days often resembled Dentists waiting rooms. ):.

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 13:50

It's a bit difficult to have a detailed discussion about a photograph when we are not shown that photo. I know we had some photos in the earlier days that were so well-known (e.g. Hermann/BRM/AVUS) that posting them wasn't necessary, but 1989 is a bit later so can someone help?

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 14:25

I haven’t got the magazine, but suspect it might be this one:

https://cdn-1.latima...6686-ufdwtc.jpg

If not, try these two for luck:

https://www.netbet.c...yrton-Senna.jpg

https://f1since81.fi...odium.jpg?w=604

I’m sure that Nemo1965 is right, and that they’re listening in respectful silence as the national anthems are being played. They do look slightly happier in this one:

https://s.hdnux.com/...0/5/920x920.jpg

#7 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 15:13

I was also going to suggest the national anthems were being played - even as recently as 30 years ago, those on the podium (or Monaco equivalent) tended to show them some respect, rather than fiddling with hats, grinning, pointing at friends/sponsors and so on.

It's also a good moment for the snappers to get their shots of the winners without having expensive lenses coated in sticky champagne (or non-alcoholic substitute).

#8 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,282 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 20:34

All 3 drivers are holding their caps, Ron Dennis and the rest of the podium are looking respectful and JMB has a hand on Stefano Modena’s shoulder, like many above have said it has to be the anthem been played.

#9 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,466 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 06:32

It was also the race just after San Marino, so the Senna Prost fued was pretty much at its height. And Modena may have been reflecting on having been thoroughly out performed by Brundle (who possibly had the best drive of his career despite the battery issue).

But I agree national anthems are the most likely explanation.

Edited by TennisUK, 27 April 2019 - 07:29.