- - - - -

F1 2019 - Now with F2 and Senna vs Prost: Legends Edition

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#51 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,337 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 23:06

Are you sure you're not just looking at the credits you earn while playing multiplayer? That's not scummy crap. That's just rewarding play.

Edit: Oh no I see what you mean. The seven or so premium helmets, liveries, etc. Well, you know, you don't have to pay for them.

I certainly won't (I don't play online anyway and I believe they only apply in multiplayer games) but I still think its a bit low considering what people pay for this game.

one more plus point I found, alongside race reply is race highlights, which is rather neat!

one amusing point, I created a female driver and already twice I've been referred to as "he" in the interview transcripts.  (yeah a very minor thing but stlll, you'd think they'd check stuff like that)

Edited by BuddyHolly, 29 June 2019 - 23:10.

Advertisement

#52 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:21

Yes I do like the highlights feature. It's a good way to catch up on what you did last time.

#53 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:50

I’ll tell you what bugs me the most about the game. They’ve removed the bearded avatar who looks most like me.

#54 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,423 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:57

That Verstappen transfer happened first season between France and Austria of all things, weirdest thing ever. Haven't had another one yet and I just completed Spa. 

Game made me realise a few things though. That curb by the castle in Baku is utterly stupid, no wonder Leclerc and Kubica crasher there, whose genius idea was it to make the narrowest part of that track narrower and more awkward to drive through. That straight in France is just bloody depressing in a backmarker. Makes you feel like your racing a hyundai against an F-22 Raptor when Merc overtakes your poor little Alfa. Also, that Butler avatar is a dick. I wonder though, do Butler and Webber replace Kubica and Kvyat for everyone or does it change on what team you start with?

#55 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:02

In my game Butler replaced Magnussen at Haas and Weber replaced Sainz at McLaren.

#56 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,337 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 00:23

I had a driver move today, Sainz/Kubica swap.   tbh I missed the news/notification lol, I only realised when in a race I had a Williams closing on me and the driver ahead/behind indicator said Sainz.   for a moment I had a brain fart and forgot about driver swaps.   I was thinking Sainz in a Williams?? must be a glitch.   only after the race did I realise.  oops

#57 Kao18

Kao18

• 3,560 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:36

I am not hearing good things about swaps, to many and not realistic which kills immersion for me. I hope they will patch these out to a much more acceptable level.

I am starting to think they might have not mentioned this as a feature more early because they decided to put it in the game at the last moment.

Edited by Kao18, 01 July 2019 - 07:37.

#58 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,337 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 13:35

I am not hearing good things about swaps, to many and not realistic which kills immersion for me. I hope they will patch these out to a much more acceptable level.

I am starting to think they might have not mentioned this as a feature more early because they decided to put it in the game at the last moment.

I quite like it but then I'm one of the sad people who do play the full 10 season career so yeah driver swaps mix it up a bit and make it somewhat more interesting.   But yeah it would be silly if it happened too much, but it's only happened once in my game so far.

#59 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 15:10

It also fits in with the player’s contracts lasting only a few races at a time. If the player can swap teams 4 times a season it’s only right the AI has that opportunity too.

Advertisement

#60 messy

messy

• 3,862 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 16:44

Don’t like the transfers, but to be honest I usually play single seasons anyway.

I love the F2 but I’m finding the tyre wear adds a completely different dimension to the races. Basically, I can be competitive and lead races, I can battle past people and look pretty decent - then I check the wear and my mediums are on 80% wear for the front right and I’m somehow supposed to nurse them for four more laps. From what I gather, you have to actually think about this sh*t now instead of just driving. Making a set of mediums last for an entire sprint race is quite something.

Edited by messy, 01 July 2019 - 16:45.

#61 pRy

pRy

• 16,334 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 19:52

I liked this.

#62 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,025 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 20:39

www.f1carsetup.com if you want some good setups for each track.

I normally just stick with a Catalunya setup as a base and change the aero and other small things from track to track.

Started my career with STR, the car feels really good.

Edited by MikeV1987, 03 July 2019 - 20:42.

#63 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 21:40

I'm not much of a setup guy. I tend to just use one of the defaults and maybe make a tweak if I need to.

#64 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,337 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 22:59

I just hit halfway through my 1st season in career mode and I've had a ton of driver swaps just happen now after the last race.

Norris > Racing Point

Grosjean > Racing Point

Raikkonen > Williams

Stroll > Alfa Romeo

Perez > McLaren

Hulkenberg > McLaren

Weber (career AI driver) > Renault

Russell > Toro Rosso

lol wow that's crazy.

Edited by BuddyHolly, 04 July 2019 - 23:00.

#65 messy

messy

• 3,862 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:11

Yeah it's pretty stupid at the moment and hopefully will be patched. 

#66 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,423 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:13

I liked this.

Real life Leclerc needs to upgrade from scart to HDMI obviously  :rotfl:

#67 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,423 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:36

Ok so end of the first season and things went bananas on the driver market.

Hulkenberg > Merc  :love: ( I'll let you know if he ends up ahead of Hamilton next season  :rotfl: )

Bottas > Renault

Vettel > Renault

Ricciardo > Ferrari

Perez > Torro Rosso

Albon > Sacked

Kvyat > Force India

#68 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,337 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 14:26

Bottas and Vettel at Renault?  that's hilarious.  I wonder who'll come out on top.

#69 Kao18

Kao18

• 3,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 18:12

https://www.motorspo...listic/4490601/

What I was afraid of, transfers seem to be completely random, happen a lot with drivers switching back and forth and no proper coding/logic behind it.

I can understand for some people its fun but to me it makes career pretty unrealistic.

Sounds like a last minute addition to increase sales to be honest.

#70 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,337 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 15:44

Just ended season 2 of my career, had more driver changes and the grid for season three now looks like this:-

Ferrari - Leclerc & Bottas

Mercedes - Hamilton & Magnussen

RBR - Verstappen & Gasly

Renault - Vettel & Weber (ai driver)

Williams - Ricciardo & Raikkonen

Racing Point - Norris & Grosjean

Toro Rosso - Russell & Butler (ai driver)

McLaren - Hulkenberg & Perez

Haas - Me & Albon

Alfa Romeo - Stroll & Sainz

The only team immune to changes to far seems to be RBR and amusingly Williams are now competitive and came 4th in the WCC last season with McLaren a very close 5th

Edited by BuddyHolly, 11 July 2019 - 15:44.

#71 balage06

balage06

• 1,301 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 15:49

Codies released a preview for the upcoming v1.05 version with car performance improvements, I think I'll wait until it comes out, because right now, both the overall and the team's relative performance is way off compared to real life:

https://forums.codem...05-patch-notes/

#72 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,423 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:41

Hmmm nothing in there about improving the AI performance for your team. I'm playing with Raikkonen as a teammate in my second season and even though we have a midfield team upgrades wise he is last pretty much last every race except for simmed races where I'm behind him. It also would be swell if the AI actually realised who I'm racing with pit stop correction rather than just telling me who's behind me.

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 13 July 2019 - 04:55.

#73 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:41

I’m not playing as quick as you guys but I’ve had my first driver swaps going into Austria season 1.

Magnussen (who wasn’t in my season so far as Butler was in his car) has replaced Hulkenberg at Renault. Hulkenberg has replaced Grosjean at Haas. Grosjean has been left out.

#74 messy

messy

• 3,862 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 15:52

I’m actually not bothering with career mode and just playing the “official season” with an existing driver because the transfers and inclusion of these fictional drivers is just too daft for me. I’m really autistic about this stuff.

#75 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 16:54

I’m actually not bothering with career mode and just playing the “official season” with an existing driver because the transfers and inclusion of these fictional drivers is just too daft for me. I’m really autistic about this stuff.

Well that's what that mode is there for.  :up:

There's a lot of people who seem to forget that.

#76 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,337 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 16:57

Patch 1.05 just hit on PS4

Patch notes:-

• 2019 season performance updates
  • F2 is now available in Unranked Multiplayer and LAN
  • AI performance has been improved in wet weather for both F1 and F2 vehicle classes
  • Improvements to AI blocking behaviour
  • In photo mode changing shutter speed will no longer make the screen go black
  • Fanatec wheels will no longer send strong force feedback turning the wheel to the right on race starts
  • Rain / ERS charging lights now work on PS4 Pro
  • First Ten Down (Complete 10 races online) achievement will now unlock correctly
  • Stopped graphical glitches occurring and getting more frequent during long play sessions

#77 messy

messy

• 3,862 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:01

New patch improves things a lot I think, the cars feel different to drive (Williams a barge, Mercedes now quicker than Ferrari), much more in line with reality. The aggression of the AI seems toned down though, which is a bit of a shame because I liked that how it was.

#78 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 6,911 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:37

Kimi: "It's not a very good game."

Tremendous marketing value :lol:

Edited by Jovanotti, 24 July 2019 - 06:55.

#79 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,211 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:11

I've never seen Kimi talking this much  :eek:

Advertisement

#80 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 23:24

Ranked races are such a **** show. I did a 25% race on Baku, started 15th, finished 4th somehow because literally everyone ahead of me hit the wall or other cars at some point.

Manual ERS is so important in this game, auto is trash. It’s much harder to charge the battery compared to 2018. They should allow you to customize your ERS deployment around the tracks like they do in real life. Changing the settings at pretty much every corner is not fun.

Edited by MikeV1987, 25 July 2019 - 23:30.

#81 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 15:19

Has anyone been doing the weekly events?

Practice and qualifying is done offline against the fake opponents, and works much like the career mode. You can earn credits to go towards your car, helmet, overalls, etc. Then the races are matchmade so you’re with people of similar pace. Much less of a shitshow than typical online races. You can race as many times as you want but only your most recent result counts towards your ranking.

I’ve done Germany and Hungary and ranked in the top 4% in both, but to my surprise. I even won my Hungary race, though I was second on the road. The player who was ahead of me would have won if he’d not cut the course so much as to incur 9 s worth of penalties.

I don’t think manual ERS is that important. I do run manual ERS but I’m not fiddling with it every corner. I just adjust it according to my battery needs. Seems to work well enough for me.

#82 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,423 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 14:21

Going into my third season now...the moves are priceless

Hamilton is moving to a faster team this time around

Ham >>> Torro Rosso

Leclerc >>> Williams and Russell has been dumped

Butler >>> Ferrari to replace Leclerc

Kubica >>> Mercedes...

The three fastest teams are Renault, Torro Rosso and Williams...I have chosen to continue to develop Alfa Romeo. The realism is unreal...

Edited by pitlanepalpatine, 17 August 2019 - 06:31.

#83 messy

messy

• 3,862 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 19:33

Yeah, it’s dumb as hell. Just play through a single season with an official driver IMO. It’s more realistic.

Gotta say though, I think this is a top game. I played F1 2017 earlier and God, the difference is unreal. 2017 felt pretty decent at the time, didn’t it? I reckon the really big jump was between 17 and 18, but they’ve tweaked 2019 to (near) perfection.

Just sort out the driver transfers, and make it possible to bring out the safety car again please.

#84 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 1,423 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:34

Yeah, it’s dumb as hell. Just play through a single season with an official driver IMO. It’s more realistic.

Gotta say though, I think this is a top game. I played F1 2017 earlier and God, the difference is unreal. 2017 felt pretty decent at the time, didn’t it? I reckon the really big jump was between 17 and 18, but they’ve tweaked 2019 to (near) perfection.

Just sort out the driver transfers, and make it possible to bring out the safety car again please.

Ya, while I like the F2 Rivals idea I'm pretty sure Russel and Norris would have offered to be that and the characters with a bit of work might have been less 1 dimensional.

#85 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:21

You guys are further ahead, but I haven’t seen any cutscenes with Butler or Weber in them since the F2 bit at the start of the career. Do they actually appear at any time further down the road? I’m still only on season 1, Mexico will be next. Expecting a few driver swaps after the season as the Hulkenberg swap I mentioned earlier is the only one I’ve had.

Sounds like the unrealistic aspect is how quickly teams can alter their competitive position, rather than the swaps themselves. In real life, you’d bet on Hamilton going to Toro Rosso if they were one of the fastest cars and Mercedes weren’t in the top 3.

#86 Jordan199

Jordan199

• 45 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 17:37

I really enjoyed F1 2018, but seemed to totally forget I had it last year after my first season. Things certainly weren't helped with the loss of my Xbox due my cat weeing on it. Don't ask.  ;)

So I went and purchased this year's game based on how much the transfer market sounded fun, as well as the F2 chapter at the beginning. I like how the rivals from that part became drivers in the current F1 grid.

I joined Torro Rosso, with Albon as my teammate. Mid-season, Red Bull flipped out on Gasly AND Albon, so Albon was out, and Gasly the new teammate. Red Bull then hired Kyvat.  :clap:

I'm six races into my second season and I'm already enjoying the mix-up in performance. Ferrari has fallen to the back of the grid, with Alfa Romeo and Renault ahead of Mercedes and Torro Rosso.  :drunk:

Hulkenberg moved to Ferrari, Lelerc moved to Renault and Weber moved to Alfa Romeo, with the latter two doing pretty well so far. Hulk finally has his dream move, only for Ferrari to be kaka. 

Edited by Jordan199, 17 August 2019 - 17:42.

#87 Jordan199

Jordan199

• 45 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 15:12

I'm halfway through my second season and with Alfa Romeo still the top constructor, Vettel has finally moved from the sinking ship that is Ferrari, replacing Raikkonen at AR, whereas Giovinizzi has replaced Vettel at Ferrari.   :stoned:

Team performance at the halfway point:

Alfa Romeo

Renault

Torro Rosso

Mercedes

Haas

Racing Point

Williams

McLaren

Red Bull - despite apparently sharing resources with the main team, they aren't on par with Torro Rosso this season

Ferrari 

I have Weber as my main championship rival at the moment. I think they're trying to drive home the old rivalry from F2 at the start of the game, by putting his team on God mode.  ;)

Edited by Jordan199, 20 August 2019 - 15:16.

#88 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,770 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 13:24

Sounds like the unrealistic aspect is how quickly teams can alter their competitive position, rather than the swaps themselves. In real life, you’d bet on Hamilton going to Toro Rosso if they were one of the fastest cars and Mercedes weren’t in the top 3.

I'm sure this is down to the average Joe complaining that it takes too long time to evolve a team from back to top.

#89 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 16:42

I wonder what the average level of completion of the career mode is. I play 25% race distances and I still only got to Abu Dhabi season 3 in F1 2018 before 2019 came out. I just don't have time to play that much.

#90 messy

messy

• 3,862 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 22:38

I’ve still not even finished a full season in F1 2018. I get about three races into a season and decide I’d rather drive for a different team, and start again. I think I’ve completed one season in F1 2017 and about three in 2016.

Edited by messy, 21 August 2019 - 22:38.

#91 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:52

I’ve still not even finished a full season in F1 2018. I get about three races into a season and decide I’d rather drive for a different team, and start again. I think I’ve completed one season in F1 2017 and about three in 2016.

You should just change team at contract renewal. It happens every 4 races.

#92 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,025 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 15:22

I have not even finished my first race in career, initially I went with STR but I started a new career with McLaren. I like online racing much better anyway, even though every race is a gongshow. There are a handful of good racers in every race though.

#93 balage06

balage06

• 1,301 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 16:20

I started my first career with the McLaren, but it was ridiculously uncompetitive compared to real life and I felt that the cars were way too twitchy and understeery in general, so my plan is to finish the full F2 championship and then start the career mode all over again with the updated physics. I already tried the McLaren at Albert Park and it behaves much better now.

#94 Jordan199

Jordan199

• 45 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 14:14

After two seasons with Torro Rosso, I had plateaued somewhat on the development front. . It was costing a lot of resource points to get the last lot of upgrades, which allowed a lot of teams to overtake me.

I'm going from one extreme to other though. I was very surprised to discover before practice one in Australia, that my new team had every single upgrade possible.  :confused:  Is that some sort of glitch? It explains how Weber was a very strong competitor in my second year anyway. 

Me leaving for Alfa Romeo has mixed the grid up somewhat. Kimi made a comeback after being fired from Alfa Romeo last year, to replace me as Torro Rosso. Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez have moved to the mighty Williams team, and Daniel Ricciardio has moved back to Red Bull, with Alexander Albon back from the sidelines as his teammate. That means Daniil Kyvat has moved to Haas, whilst Devon Butler moved to Racing Point. Poor Robert Kubica has been let go in the shuffle.

Alfa Romeo

Renault

Mercedes

Racing point

Haas

Williams

Torro Rosso

McLaren

Red Bull

Ferrari

#95 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:47

Just going into season 2 and I’ve switched to Mercedes, which has caused a few interesting driver swaps. The pecking order going into Melbourne looks like this with driver changes marked with a *.

Ferrari: Vettel and Leclerc

Mercedes: Hamilton and me*

Williams: Perez* and Weber*

Red Bull: Verstappen and Gasly

Haas: Hulkenberg and Butler

McLaren: Bottas* and Norris

Racing Point: Sainz* and Russell*

Renault: Ricciardo and Magnussen

Alfa Romeo: Raikkonen and Giovinazzi

Toro Rosso: Kvyat and Albon

Kubica without a drive.

#96 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:11

Tell you what would be a really useful feature. An “are you sure?” prompt when skipping a session. I was flicking between menus in my workstation using the left and right bumpers. Flicked back to the advance menu and the highlight was over Race instead of Qualifying. Pressed A on my controller before I noticed and it went straight to loading the race. It also instantly saved the game state so despite switching off the console and reloading, I can’t take part in qualifying. Now I have to start from the back in a race that I was looking to do well in.

Edit: I’ll imagine my character got locked in the bathroom, Bob Williams “Supreme” style.

#97 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,025 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 21:04

Pretty close to half way through my first season on my career so far, the ai seems very inconsistent in terms of speed on the tracks like the older F1 games, they are way faster at some tracks compared to others. For example, they are super fast in sector 1 at Bahrain. I run no assists and it’s pretty much impossible to get the power down as well as the AI does at legendary difficulty. Meanwhile they are slow af in Canada and Austria.

My McLaren is pretty close to third fastest now, you can gain resource points pretty quick. My rival is Verstappen and he DNF’s pretty much every race.

Also the AI is pretty **** at passing each other, it’s like a massive conga line for the first part of the race.

Edited by MikeV1987, 19 September 2019 - 21:10.

#98 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:52

Can’t say I’ve noticed those gripes myself, though on the last point, it’s F1. Overtaking isn’t that easy.

#99 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 1,915 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 14:28

We just had a update and today it will bring in the F2 drivers and cars from this year championship. Looks like Hubert is in the game for those who want to finish the season with him. And cue people playing a Schumacher and Alsei again

Advertisement

#100 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,475 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 16:02

Fantastic. Can’t wait to have a play.